• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 swedish controverstory

Unison

Cerrius said:
When's the last time I heard a developer use the "alpha stage" excuse?

Oh yeah! PERFECT DARK ZERO

piggybuttonohnoyoudidntlarge.jpg

Who really needs to "train" for online? Whenever I come across bots in a server, whether it's CS or PDZ or whatever I always leave. I'd rather not play at all then play with bots.

And it seems people have been spoiled by Gears. Nothing will look as good for a long, long time, especially nothing with the scale of a game like Halo.

Mooreberg

BuddyC said:
Whaaaaaaaat? The PS3 isn't even out yet and you're saying its already hit the metaphorical technogical wall?

How likely are we to see games that look better than MGS4 and Crysis two years from now? I don't know if it is because every console is going with PC GPU vendors that are constantly updating their products on the PC side of things, or developers aren't take full advantage of what is there, or what. But for the asking price on these systems the jump in graphics seems a lot less significant than what we saw going from PSOne/N64 to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

Confidence Man said:
Who really needs to "train" for online? Whenever I come across bots in a server, whether it's CS or PDZ or whatever I always leave. I'd rather not play at all then play with bots.

Agreed.

Moore you really need to quit while you're behind.

Kabouter

Confidence Man said:
And it seems people have been spoiled by Gears. Nothing will look as good for a long, long time, especially nothing with the scale of a game like Halo.

You realize Crysis is coming out in February and Alan Wake will be out in '07 as well right?

shpankey

not an idiot
sublime085 said:
So any theories on the X button to get this back on track? Would they do something as drastic as a cover system? Tuck and run? Lean?
my guess is
a thrust button, to fly, basically just like Tribes

Razoric

Banned
Mooreberg said:
How likely are we to see games that look better than MGS4 and Crysis two years from now? I don't know if it is because every console is going with PC GPU vendors that are constantly updating their products on the PC side of things, or developers aren't take full advantage of what is there, or what. But for the asking price on these systems the jump in graphics seems a lot less significant than what we saw going from PSOne/N64 to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

:lol :lol :lol

talk out of your ass much?

ORANGUTAN said:
pdz had bots why can't halo? even if they're crappy bots at least it's something
I'd say Bungie prides themselves on their AI too much that they wouldn't want to half-ass it? I'd much rather they put their resources elsewhere.

scarybore

Looks pretty good if you ask me considering it's multiplayer and the Legendary Edition sounds great. All the cut scenes in HD FTW!

Can't say I care about bots, if you are connected to Xbox Live then just play a game since you will always get better faster against people anyways. For those not connected to Xbox Live, bad luck I guess.

Mooreberg

PepsimanVsJoe said:
So if Halo 3 had good bots nobody would want to play online?

Clearly you have a dizzying intellect

I'm sure plenty of people would still be playing it online. So why not include the bots for people who want it?

Looks like a next-gen Halo to me, which is freaking awesome. VERY impressed with how a lot of the enviroments remind me of Halo 1. Glad the devs made it clear they're going for a clean/classic look as opposed to the ultra detail in Gears of Wars. Halo's going to be faster paced with a larger scale, I'll gladly accept that if the ground textures don't scream masterpeice in my face.

Mooreberg

Razoric said:

talk out of your ass much?

Have you been playing some of the PC games that have come out since 2004 or just Katamari Damacy? If you think this is a huge leap over a lot of what we've already seen, than keep having fun in dreamland.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Francias Castiglione said:
Can we get a thread title change again to reflect the Alpha status of this build. Or would that only be applicable to a non-M$ game loLOLLLZ

also take that screen down. don't know if it was missunderstood but the link i posted was for blood gulch in halo 2 so people could compare to these new screens. Main page it is posted saying it is a Halo 3 screen. dear god it is not.

Uncle

Kabouter said:
Was in an interview a while back I think, Remedy said the current release date was set for '2007'.

That's funny because I read an interview from them this month where they said that they don't have no release date to aim for.

shpankey said:
my guess is
a thrust button, to fly, basically just like Tribes
Hmm I don't know how I feel about that. I don't think I'd like it at all. I like my perfectly executed crouch-jumps.

Mooreberg said:
Have you been playing some of the PC games that have come out since 2004 or just Katamari Damacy? If you think this is a huge leap over a lot of what we've already seen, than keep having fun in dreamland.

....There are no words.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Sugarman said:
Looks like a next-gen Halo to me, which is freaking awesome. VERY impressed with how a lot of the enviroments remind me of Halo 1. Glad the devs made it clear they're going for a clean/classic look as opposed to the ultra detail in Gears of Wars. Halo's going to be faster paced with a larger scale, I'll gladly accept that if the ground textures don't scream masterpeice in my face.

Haha as long as they bring back open environments in single player will I be happy. halo 2 was just way to linear when compared to the first.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Confidence Man said:
And it seems people have been spoiled by Gears. Nothing will look as good for a long, long time
This is something that people are going to have to realize. Gears is the best looking game ever, moreso than any other 360/PS3 game, including H3, MGS4, FF13, Mass Effect, etc. I have a feeling it's going to retain the graphics crown for quite a while... maybe until Killzone 2 or Splinter Cell 5 which is being made from the ground up for next-gen.. That new promotional ad on my 720p widescreen LCD was unbelievable... it seriously looked like high quality CG.

People expecting graphics to get considerably better than Gears are in for a rude awakening.

OverHeat

« generous god »
ORANGUTAN said:
This is something that people are going to have to realize. Gears is the best looking game ever, moreso than any other 360/PS3 game, including H3, MGS4, FF13, Mass Effect, etc. I have a feeling it's going to retain the graphics crown for quite a while... maybe until Killzone 2 or Splinter Cell 5 which is being made from the ground up for next-gen.. That new promotional ad on my 720p widescreen LCD was unbelievable... it seriously looked like high quality CG.

People expecting graphics to get considerably better than Gears are in for a rude awakening.
qft

Unison

ORANGUTAN said:

This is the first game to use the Unreal Engine 3. I am sure subsequent games that use the same engine (with improvements) will be able to surpass it no problem. :lol

But yeah... GoW looks so much better than these Halo shots that it's not funny.

gollumsluvslave said:

Shit, I mean I exspected to be blown away, even from crappy little pics like these. With MGS4 pics before TGS that were shown really little from some mag and i was staring at them for a couple of days thinking they were from some anime or CGI.

Whereas from these little pics it looks like an update of Unreal Tournament 2007, not mindblowing.

Unison

Wollan said:
Gears is not the best looking console game shown to date but that's another discussion.

Not to derail the thread, but what would you say the best looking console game shown to date is? (please don't say Halo 3).

Unison said:
Not to derail the thread, but what would you say the best looking console game shown to date is? (please don't say Halo 3).

Oh God. If this keeps up I will not be around to see Lost Odyssey sell a million copies.

I've been anticipating this meltdown for a while. I've tried to make the argument about scale and enemy density vs immaculate detail quite a few times in regards to comparisons between Gears of War and certain other games, but I guess now that it relates to Halo, it's suddenly a relevant argument. Good times.

OverHeat

« generous god »
the only bad thing about the new sceens is that they removed the reflective visor from the trailers. but Im sure its still in SP

Kabouter

AltogetherAndrews said:
I've been anticipating this meltdown for a while. I've tried to make the argument about scale and enemy density vs immaculate detail quite a few times in regards to comparisons between Gears of War and certain other games, but I guess now that it relates to Halo, it's suddenly a relevant argument. Good times.

Assuming your logic is correct. Then how is it that Alan Wake, which is retarded in size, looks phenomenal?

AltogetherAndrews said:

Again you can't really make statements about that until we see what the late Beta builds look like. Well you can but they ultimately become irrelevant.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Unison said:
This is the first game to use the Unreal Engine 3. I am sure subsequent games that use the same engine (with improvements) will be able to surpass it no problem. :lol

But yeah... GoW looks so much better than these Halo shots that it's not funny.
We have seen plenty of other UE3 games that will be released well after Gears and none of them really even come close. UT2k7 is the closest and even with that you can see a noticeable jump with Gears.

Mass Effect, Huxley, Too Human, whatever else is on UE3... none of these games are in the same league. I'm serious.

Wollan said:
Gears is not the best looking console game shown to date but that's another discussion.
Wollan, what do you think is the best looking console game then? FF13--a game we've barely seen anything at all of? 13% done, and a completely different genre.

I'm not an Xbot, I'm not an Sbot or whatever. Gears is the best looking console game we've seen, period. Seeing it on my HDTV confirmed that for me.

Not a Jellyfish said:
that screen upsets me. I better be able to wlk to that edge in the game. instead of just a cut scene. :'(

Can't really think of anything used in a Halo cutscene you couldn't do in the game, other than space stuff of course.

After reading the quote on graphics, I wouldn't be surprised if Halo 3 has a bit of the DOA bug where the style does not lend itself GoW-level technical splendor from the end user's viewpoint. I also think if I were to truly try to gauge Halo 3's graphics from tiny scans of an alpha build, I would be an idiot.

Top Bottom