• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 swedish controverstory

Razoric

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Have you been playing some of the PC games that have come out since 2004 or just Katamari Damacy? If you think this is a huge leap over a lot of what we've already seen, than keep having fun in dreamland.

I'm not arguing that a lot of dont PC games look on par (or better) than 360 games... And these Halo 3 screens leave a lot to be desired (although it IS an unfinished game, it would be good to keep that in mind before you condemn next-gen).

But there is a huge leap from PS2/Xbox -> PS3/360... it's just not an automatic leap anymore. Some devs have it (ala Gears of War, Motorstorm), others don't. Once all these current gen port-ups stop, we'll be in a much better place for graphics imo.

Luckett_X

Banned
This thread change title just appears to be absurdly troll worthy. Its one of the worst I've seen in GAF history. so good work there, whoever thought it'd be giggle-worthy.

Kabouter

ORANGUTAN said:
Wollan, what do you think is the best looking console game then? FF13--a game we've barely seen anything at all of? 13% done, and a completely different genre.

I think Alan Wake looks better than Gears by quite a bit personally.
Scale and lighting have a lot to do with that.

shpankey

not an idiot
Not a Jellyfish said:
maybe a book it button or to string melee combos (hit multiple targets but they would have to tone down mellee a lot)

yeah, a book it button could be it as well. i definitely believe it's one of the two because if it's true about how much larger the maps are they will need a basic default way to get around quicker to the fights, elsewise you can't keep the tension up. they also seemed to help aid in this w/ the inclusion of more quick access vehicles such as the ATV.

anyhow i'm leaning towards my guess because it opens up the fighting a lot more and increases the dynamics of fighting a great deal.

sublime085 said:
Hmm I don't know how I feel about that. I don't think I'd like it at all. I like my perfectly executed crouch-jumps.
i really think it would be a lot of fun. hell i know it's fun, just look how fun
Tribes
is. :D

Hey let's try and make this page of the thread a good one, eh?
What will the X button do?
Any swedes read any mention of actual gameplay stuff? There doesn't seem to be a lot of solid details regarding SP.

shpankey said:
yeah, a book it button could be it as well. i definitely believe it's one of the two because if it's true about how much larger the maps are they will need a basic default way to get around quicker to the fights, elsewise you can't keep the tension up. they also seemed to help aid in this w/ the inclusion of more quick access vehicles such as the ATV.

anyhow i'm leaning towards my guess because it opens up the fighting a lot more and increases the dynamics of fighting a great deal.

I think a dive/roll into a crouch would be pretty handy aswell

Kabouter said:
Assuming your logic is correct. Then how is it that Alan Wake, which is retarded in size, looks phenomenal?

Did you miss the part about enemy density? Scale also applies to plenty more than just the physical scale of the environments. Everything is relative, and you'd have to be some kind of dummy to directly compare and judge games that focus on delivering entirely different experiences.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Halo's style totally lends to realism. We are talking about realistic Aliens-like marines, not manga dolls. I also find this pretty damn incoherent, but maybe it's the selective quoting:

"A lot is still missing in this build. Weather- and water effects are missing, and most of our HDR isn't in there yet. We're still at alpha stage, but when everything is in place, Halo 3 will be the best X360 has to offer."

"We definitely have another strategy than Epic Games when it comes to graphics. We'll never engulf our game environments in lots of details like that. GoW looks absolutely fantastic, but we want to avoid compromising Halo's unique visual style. That's why we're making a clean, sharp game as opposed to one with insane amount of details."
Unless Bungie is making a cel shaded version of Halo Babies I don't know WTF is he talking about.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, some people are just here to throw feces.

Sai

shpankey said:
my guess is
a thrust button, to fly, basically just like Tribes
Flying is a bit much, no?

This was on a wishlist of mine a while back:

"I imagine it would have to be something very short, and subtle for Bungie to approve of it. I can definitely see the benefits in some sort of sprinting action in a Halo game, it just has to be implemented properly as to not deviate too far from the feeling of Halo we've all grown accustomed to.

Using sprinting in conjunction with melee attacks(especially with the sword) could also produce some interesting results... Now my imagination is runnin' wild.

In fact, sprinting + Energy Sword could be another way to balance the Energy Sword a bit. Instead of having that cheap and easy lock-on lunge attack of the Energy Sword, it could be done through sprinting instead with some sharp timing."

And of course, it could have it's uses for dodging sniper fire 'n' such. :)

Hope...

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Kabouter said:
I think Alan Wake looks better than Gears by quite a bit personally.
Scale and lighting have a lot to do with that.
I'll agree with you on scale, but Gears' environments are much more detailed. Of course, this is a design choice... Gears was meant to be an 'intimate' shooter, Alan Wake is a different genre (open-world type game?). Also, from what I remember of the Alan Wake shots @ X06, the character models are better in Gears.

C4Lukins

DenogginizerOS said:
How much extra do you think it will be?

I think it depends how detailed this helmet replica is. It could be some ridiculous Sideshow Collectibles thing that costs 200 bucks, or it could be a pretty simplistic plastic thing that costs 100.

scarybore

Sugarman said:
Actually, it's sprites. The ships use advanced mode 7.

:lol

This thread change title just appears to be absurdly troll worthy. Its one of the worst I've seen in GAF history. so good work there, whoever thought it'd be giggle-worthy.

This is true but you just gotta live with it, doesn't help with Halo 2 Blood Gulch image on the first post of the thread :lol

I also think if I were to truly try to gauge Halo 3's graphics from tiny scans of an alpha build, I would be an idiot.

This is also true. Scans usually make the game look a bit better than it is (MGS4 original showing for example, though not by much) so we shall have to wait till some hi res images are released to make a true judgement.

impirius

Luckett_X said:
tee hee

Scotch said:
Hey mod, if you wanna troll, be a man and come do so in person instead of hiding behind your 'funny' title changes.
BE A MAN HULK

Scotch

Hey mod, if you wanna troll, be a man and come do so in person instead of hiding behind your 'funny' title changes.

Haklong

travisbickle said:
Wow looks like the XBDF are out in force.

Seems to be said in the Sony topics all the time.

Anyway can't see much in the pics, I did expect to see something very different though, I can understand the Halo 2 HD comments.

So to combat the PS3 trolling you have to come in here and do it yourself? How is that helping the forum? Every extreme fanboy cries about the other side but they don't even see when they do it themselves.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Halo is about gameplay, people. It has always been a pretty game, but it has never been the prettiest game. Bungie does a good job with graphics but they are the masters of gameplay. I don't play Halo to stare at shit, i play to have fun.

ORANGUTAN said:
I'll agree with you on scale, but Gears' environments are much more detailed. Of course, this is a design choice... Gears was meant to be an 'intimate' shooter, Alan Wake is a different genre (open-world type game?). Also, from what I remember of the Alan Wake shots @ X06, the character models are better in Gears.

Why are these games being compared again? All three of them could be considered entirely different genres.

Haklong said:
So to combat the PS3 trolling you have to come in here and do it yourself? How is that helping the forum? Every extreme fanboy cries about the other side but they don't even see when they do it themselves.

Yeah Travisbickle has always been a bit on the other side of the fence.
If GAF is an AD&D game we suffer from a clear lack of True Neutrals(or whatever they call people who don't favor any side).

Meier

Blimblim said:
Why do I keep reading this as "Halo 2 HD swedish controversy"?

Well it initially said "Halo 3 swedish controversy" which threw me off cos I was like uhh.. what controversy? Now it's just been changed by some jackass mod :p I gotta admit though, before the thread blew up (wow, pages 2 and 3 came quick!), I thought to myself, "That doesn't look that much better than Halo 2..."

Hyoushi

sublime085 said:
Any swedes read any mention of actual gameplay stuff? There doesn't seem to be a lot of solid details regarding SP.
Yes. They don't want to give any SP details away because they don't want the surprises to be spoiled.

Funky Papa said:
Halo's style totally lends to realism. We are talking about realistic Aliens-like marines, not manga dolls.

I cannot decide if you are being sarcastic or not. Halo's style is smooth, rounded, and colorful shapes on alien ships, and angular, gray masses on human ships and various ancient stuff. Bungie nailed of those looks already. I'm not saying that Bungie cannot do better than Halo 2, just that Halo 3 might look less like a technical jump due to its art style.

mikeGFG

Banned
Luckett_X said:

Seriously. And I wonder who could be behind such an ingenius exercise in wit.

bud

OverHeat said:
By the way where is Stinkles?

Crying in the corner.

Seriously though, this looks a bit underwhelming but it is the MP part of the game. I'm sure the SP will blow us all away.

GhaleonEB

What a strange thread to wake up to.

*Visible weapons at all times - awesome, and on my H3 wish-list

*Love the new vehicle - it was cut from H2 and everyone freaked, so y'all should be happy too

*Visuals look great. Similar style to H2 which I loved. It's pre-alpha MP, not sure what you guys were expecting. Looks right on par with the announcement teaser, and that's great news especially this early. Hard to compare it to Gears, since that game is 1) done and H3 is pre-alpha, and 2) Gears is close-quarters while H3 has much larger, open environments with more players/enemies.

I'm happy and await better pics in person. Looks hawt.

Do the words "pre-alpha" me the same to me as to others? Time and time and time and time again GAF gets owned freaking out about early game shots, and this is no exception. For pre-alpha MP that's great stuff.

Top Bottom