• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Designer Calls Out Kojima on Sex (Pot to Kettle: "You are blue!")

marrec

Banned
And Kojima creates well-received games as well.

Meanwhile, the only output of 343 has been a very controversial Halo game that cannot retain players.

Being a well-respected game designer that makes good games should not shroud you from obvious criticism. A dialog needs to be had about overt sexulization of characters in order to sell more to the... audience... that wants that.

Of course, Dave didn't do it the correct way. He just insulted everyone.

kurahador

Male Power Fantasy

image.php

Kinyou

Exactly what I thought.
I'm not sure why sexuality and MGS is suddenly such a big deal. When it comes to gratuitous fanservice, MGS has always been as equal opportunity as it gets.

LWRE4zH.jpg
Imagine the shitstorm if Raiden had been female and they had done that..

Grief.exe

Being a well-respected game designer that makes good games should not shroud you from obvious criticism. A dialog needs to be had about overt sexulization of characters in order to sell more to the... audience... that wants that.

Of course, Dave didn't do it the correct way. He just insulted everyone.

I agree, I didn't mean for that point to come across like that. I wasn't trying to imply that the quality of his games automatically closes the debate.

Just pointing that out, as I found it interesting.

IvorB

Honestly, yes. Developers just like directors, writers, musicians, and painters should not be doing public opinion surveys before making a work of art. Now if you think games aren't art then that's another discussion.

I dunno. Not really that bothered about the specifics. I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing right now.

My ascertain was that sexualisation and objectification of women in the video game industry is rampant and disproportionate. No number of shirtless males or naked Raidens people post will change this. Beyond this ascertain I have nothing to add. It is for the women to complain if they find it discomforting.

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't think that Cortana is anywhere near as sexualized. She looks nude, of course, but she's never meant to be the object of the player's desire.

Halo is probably one of the most sexless franchises, really.

Azih

I don't think that Cortana is anywhere near as sexualized. She looks nude, of course, but she's never meant to be the object of the player's desire. .
Why exactly did Bungie give her stockings and have her proportions keep ballooning as the series progressed then?

Ithil

I don't think that Cortana is anywhere near as sexualized. She looks nude, of course, but she's never meant to be the object of the player's desire.

Then why is she naked and realistically rendered (when Halo 1, 2 and 3 had her as more of a mannequin), with her "digital" design on her skin placed to evoke stockings on her legs and illustrate other parts of her? Why not put her in clothes if she's never meant to be desirable? Other Halo games have AI's rendered as clothed women.

IvorB

If this gets any bigger, do you think Kojima will change Quiet's design? Is he the type to give into pressure?

He wants this to get big. You don't think he hasn't created this sh*tstorm on purpose do you? He knew exactly how people would react to his trolling tweets. He is playing us all.

v1oz

Her outfit is no worse that you see girls wear on a night out. Even pop stars like Rihanna dress far more provocatively. So I don't see what all the fuss is about this Quiet character.

nbraun80

Throwing stones in a glass house is not smart Mr Ellis, especially after making Cortana an oversexed figure with large curves, a far cry from her design in the original trilogy. That's kind of your definition of sexism too Mr Ellis.
I don't see how making her have curves is oversexed when it just makes her look more like a regular woman, it would be more upsetting if she was a super slim model type. Not to mention cortona has always been an AI with no clothes on from the beginning. What was 343 suppose to do, slap a parka on her? I'm pretty sure bungie would have made her look pretty similar to her current model of they were still doing it today.

Exactly what I thought.
I'm not sure why sexuality and MGS is suddenly such a big deal. When it comes to gratuitous fanservice, MGS has always been as equal opportunity as it gets.

LWRE4zH.jpg

Surely you can tell the difference between a small section of the game where someone's stripped naked against their will for torture, which is then played for laughs when they're cartwheeling around whilst coving their crotch and all the promotional material of the only female character revealed in the game featuring her dressed like a half clothed hooker despite being a female soldier in a desert.

It doesn't hide the fact that she got much more sexualized in this new outing by this new dev, at least from the pics in this thread. I still agree, a bra and underwear is not kosher, but it kinda does makes sense in Metal Gear.

Devil

I was hoping this thread would become a collection of.. "examples to be studied and compared".

GAF didn't disappoint. I like this thread for all the wrong reasons.

Ithil

Why exactly did Bungie give her stockings and have her proportions keep ballooning as the series progressed then?

And why is she posed like this in their official artwork?

To be clear, I have NO problem with characters having "sexy designs", as long as it makes sense. Humans look to appear sexy and want others to appear sexy, that's normal. But don't give her a design like this and then tell people she ISN'T meant to be sexy. Kojima is being open about it, and that's better than being on a high horse while you do exactly what he does and deny it.

marrec

Banned
Her outfit is no worse that you see girls wear on a night out. Even pop stars like Rihanna dress far more provocatively. So I don't see what all the fuss is about this Quiet character.

Not sure what you're point is, I also see girls wearing more on a night out and many pop stars don't dress provocatively so I don't see what your ambivalence is all about.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Surely you can tell the difference between a small section of the game where someone's stripped naked against their will for torture, which is then played for laughs when they're cartwheeling around whilst coving their crotch and all the promotional material of the only female character revealed in the game featuring her dressed like a half clothed hooker despite being a female soldier in a desert.
Naked_Snake.png

And what was the sensical reason for Big Boss never putting a shirt back on throughout the later half of MGS 3?

Derpstar

Banned
Surely you can tell the difference between a small section of the game where someone's stripped naked against their will for torture, which is then played for laughs when they're cartwheeling around whilst coving their crotch and all the promotional material of the only female character revealed in the game featuring her dressed like a half clothed hooker despite being a female soldier in a dessert.

I don't know about that, dude... I found the Raiden torture scene quite erotic.

cornerman

For reference:

Cortana has always had the form of an unclothed female, it's just that with Halo 4 this became realistic enough to suddenly appear that she was 'naked'.

The Kojima pic is definitely worse, I mean, it doesn't even make sense.

I think the Kojima pic will make more sense once the character is revealed. She appears to have some sort of chameleon/skin coated camouflage going on.

BadAss2961

Imo this is one badly designed character its embarrassing.
No doubt Kojima is kind of a perv, but i'd play the game first before judging. Kojima's more than earned the benefit of the doubt as there's usually tons of depth to MGS' characters, and he's toyed with our minds many times.

Top Bottom