• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - Part 4 [Available To Watch]

So, I would say my biggest complaints thus far are (a lot of them are likely a budget thing tbh):

Gun Props look a little off
MC looks funky (and he has corny lines)
Reveal shots are underwhelming (Blink and you'll miss it ODSTs, Supercombine, etc)
We haven't had any nice detail shots of the Covenant in action other than the one Elite
Some small possibly canon and story hiccups

Otherwise, I am blown away by this. Seriously, I have greatly enjoyed each episode. I can't wait til next week, but man, I wish they balanced the show a little differently giving us more time after the Covenant had attacked. I would have loved for a slow burn survival episode before MC shows up and then let the last two work as the climax pieces. Still, Im pleased.

Please let a Halo movie happen.. Or a TV show.

Looks like we have some Hunters coming in the next episode!

2dwF2.jpg

dl6pu.jpg

So good.

So, we have seen Jackals and Elites, and we have Hunters in the next episode... Where are the Grunts!?

Can anyone gif MC killing the Elite, or the invisible Elite ambush killing the other kid?

Zeal

Banned
EPISODE REVIEW:
Thumbs_up_by_spartan_R014.jpg

A+

Thank god someone is finally showing the brutality of the Covenant without holding back. When the needle rounds hit the female officer (forgot the name) and she exploded. WOW. Epic. Also amazed at the effects of the needle rounds and plasma all around, excellent looking. This is the way Halo needs to be portrayed.

More of this, much more.

i-Lo

Wow the series has really picked up. For the first time I am interested in playing previous Halo games. It's just that I know for a fact I won't be able to go through the first and the second game because those grey corridors induce nausea. I have Halo 3 and Reach but never played them and now I am thinking of picking up ODST and playing all of them.

There are certainly well made movies out there based on games but feels like it matters.

Perhaps, although right now I can't remember a single one. This series is pretty good, however.

Microsoft could potentially afford to do ANYTHING, they could monetarily fund a trilogy of live action series/films with the best production and writing possible.

Easier said than done.

They could make every fanboy's dream com true, as long as they make a profit on it's investments.

Case in point, making every fanboy's dream come true is literally impossible, you will always have people complaining because Halo does not mean the same thing to all fans.

Halo is cash-cow for them. They cut-out Bungie when it was convenient and if it becomes convenient again, they can gut 343 if they want to.

That I can't agree with, they've been treating Halo with utmost respect. And it was Bungie who wanted to leave, not Microsoft who wanted to get rid of them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Kind of trying to wrap my head around the timeline of this. If this takes place within a year or 2 of "first contact" with the Covenant, and John's already got his armor, wouldn't John be somewhere between 15 and 20 years old (about the same age as the cadets). Would be an interesting twist for the cadets to find out, that this "robot" super soldier is their age as well.

wouldn't John be somewhere between 15 and 20 years old?

Yes, that's correct. The intense training and genetic enhancements make him biologically much older though.

Also, hot damn at that LE. I really regret waiting so long to preorder because I would have gone with the LE in a heartbeat if it was available on Amazon

so fucking good. damn. elites are so brutal and i love just how terrifying these aliens are coming across

hunters next ep....whaaaaaaaaaaat :D

definitely getting the blu ray. hope we see a full fledged halo show or movie sometime soon

Yes, that's correct. The intense training and genetic enhancements make him biologically much older though.

Also, hot damn at that LE. I really regret waiting so long to preorder because I would have gone with the LE in a heartbeat if it was available on Amazon

He's not biologically older, just a lot more physically developed. It's an important distinction.

Demon Ice

Banned
That's the first episode of the series where I've actually been sad that it ended. That was pretty awesome. The first two episodes should have been pared down and combined into one, so we can have more time watching the Chief kick some ass. The effects with the Elite were also very well done. I'm curious about the lack of shield effects though. When the Chief is getting shot it just looks like his armor is physically deflecting the rounds, with no shields. Is that intentional? Did the earlier MJOLNIR iterations not have the shield?

That's the first episode of the series where I've actually been sad that it ended. That was pretty awesome. The first two episodes should have been pared down and combined into one, so we can have more time watching the Chief kick some ass. The effects with the Elite were also very well done. I'm curious about the lack of shield effects though. When the Chief is getting shot it just looks like his armor is physically deflecting the rounds, with no shields. Is that intentional? Did the earlier MJOLNIR iterations not have the shield?

Mark IV didn't have energy shields.

This web series has been the best live action thing i've ever seen related to videogames.
Its bleak, dire, and very dark. Absolutely wonderful!
MS NEEDS TO MAKE THE MOVIE ALREADY!!!

I want Halo 4 NOW!!

TUROK

Whoever did the sound design for FUD needs to work on the Halo games. The assault rifle and the Carbine sound better than their Halo 4 counterparts, as do the steps from the Elite and Master Chief. Gives them a hulking presence.

Amazing gifs. Could you gif the scene of
the kid getting impaled by the invisible Elite?

On another note, those gifs would be 1000 times cooler if his armor looked more...real. Something about the material, color, etc looks off.

I love the way the needle shatters as it hits the wall. such amazing attention to detail.

I cannot wait to see this in hd on blu ray,

On the flip side, it bugs me its not leaving scorch marks. But yes, amazing.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
MC looks a little off, but this is good stuff. The horror elements made that sequence with the elite, so good. Glad that they didn't cheap out on the deaths too.

Demon Ice

Banned
Mark IV didn't have energy shields.

Cool, thanks.

Whoever did the sound design for FUD needs to work on the Halo games. The assault rifle and the Carbine sound better than their Halo 4 counterparts, as do the steps from the Elite and Master Chief. Gives them a hulking presence.

Agree 100%. A lot of the sounds for the Covenant weapons sounded just like Halo 3/Reach, which is awesome. The AR sounds very beefy too, loved it.

Im kinda torn on the look of the Elites:

JS1DZ.png

Something about it there both looks amazingly terrifying, and like a villain from TMNT. I think whats bugging me is how rough the helmet/armor is. It looks like some weird medieval armor rather than the stuff we are used to.

Cool, thanks!

lol at the needle leaving no impact. Looks like something done in after effects

Yeah it bugs me, but I don't recall it being as prominent in the actual episode.

derFeef

It happens faster in the episode, you don't really notice it.
I think the effects are well done for such a project, better than a lot of tv shows that are out there.

Demon Ice

Banned
I thought the Elite armor looked too bumpy and dull, much prefer the high-tech shiny look of Elite armor like in the games. Minor complaint.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I thought needled rounds didn't leave scorch marks when they shattered in the games either? Only plasma? Or am I nuts?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Episode 4 was incredible. I thought Chyler's carbine kill was a nice touch.

If the episodes weren't only 15 minutes, the scene with the Elite trying to break into the room wouldn't bother me, but it took up a bit too much time. I would have preferred the cliche unseen-scuffle with a death gargle as Chief beats the shit out of it off-screen, but it his first appearance was still great. I didn't mind the voice at all.

Crossposted from Halo OT

wages

Banned
Im kinda torn on the look of the Elites:

JS1DZ.png

Something about it there both looks amazingly terrifying, and like a villain from TMNT. I think whats bugging me is how rough the helmet/armor is. It looks like some weird medieval armor rather than the stuff we are used to.

Cool, thanks!

Yeah it bugs me, but I don't recall it being as prominent in the actual episode.

Do you have any examples of your work? With each episode of Forward Unto Dawn you have put up a critique and I'm curious to see some of what you've done. You talk a lot so I'd like to see examples.

TUROK

Do you have any examples of your work? With each episode of Forward Unto Dawn you have put up a critique and I'm curious to see some of what you've done. You talk a lot so I'd like to see examples.
Are people not allowed to critique things now?

wages

Banned
Yeah, it's not. You're an ass.
When did suggest he worked in any related field? What qualifications does he need to offer his opinion of it?

So let me get this straight...

I'm an "ass" because I asked for some type of example of said individuals work. I'm supposed to take their critical analysis (ie breakdown of the videos) as good without having any frame of reference?

So you're telling me that someone who doesn't have the training in film/acting/special effects etc., is an "ass" because I want to know if this guy knows what he's talking about before I take him seriously.

Got it. You win at the internet.

TUROK

Way to miss the point.

No one said anything about "not being allowed" to do anything. Stop being a drama queen. I asked a simple question that's not hard to understand.
Don't act so innocent. It's obvious you're trying to imply that the user has no authority, and thus their critiques have no merit.

You talk a lot so I'd like to see examples.

That pretty much says it all.

So let me get this straight...

I'm an "ass" because I asked for some type of example of said individuals work. I'm supposed to take their critical analysis (ie breakdown of the videos) as good without having any frame of reference?

So you're telling me that someone who doesn't have the training in film/acting/special effects etc., is an "ass" because I want to know if this guy knows what he's talking about before I take him seriously.

Got it. You win at the internet.
I love how you've already made yourself the victim. If you were really curious about their "training" in the field, you would have gone by asking that question without sounding like an asshole.

wages

Banned
Don't act so innocent. It's obvious you're trying to imply that the user has no authority, and thus their critiques have no merit.

That pretty much says it all.

No I think you pretty much missed the point. That's why I said so. I have no reason to hide the intent of my meaning. I said exactly what I meant. If you took some duplicate meaning out of it then that's on you. The last thing I'm going to do is try and justify myself on the internet in a game forum. Have fun with that.

Top Bottom