• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Has Cost Microsoft More Money Than Any Title To Date

.About GT5 bombing in Japan, it sold less than the previous games indeed, but the total revenue in Japan alone was over 50 million dollar, and that is not counting the Prologue/Specs releases.

Off topic but dude... the demo for GT5 outsold the full game over there. If that is not bombing... I don't know what is. You got your facts all mixed up.

Regarding the whole killstreak or not killstreak the bate... what if 343 did copy the killstreak idea. So what? Who the hell cares?

Edit: I actually wrote debate as the bate, lol. Leaving it like that hehe.

Excessive killstreaks are what ruined COD for me.

Just because the game lacks certain effects doesn't make it any less amazing compared to other games on the market. Discrediting Halo 4 graphically in any way based on its lack of effects is absurd. The game is easily one the best looking games to come out of this generation, with or without particular effects .

If also lacks the amazing DOF from the cutscenes in game. Disappointing. It's still a great looking game of course and the scope should be nice.

Waaghals

Nah, as NBtoaster said, the game is missing too many effects to push boundaries:

Halo Reach had all these things, but no one would call it the best looking game out there.

As far as I can tell, KZ2 does not have SSAO nor HDR rendering.

I believe the same applies to KZ3. Both are fantastic looking games, for the record, and I would rate them above Halo reach.

Halo 4 seems to be one of the better looking console games ever released, at least in SP.

Now if we are rating games based on how many graphical effects they use, rather than how good they actually look, I think BF3 and Crysis 2 on 360 are among the best out there, and Reach isn't a slouch in that regard either.

I have not actually played Halo 4 yet, so I might have to retract this comment if it ends up disappointing for some reason.

Nah, as NBtoaster said, the game is missing too many effects to push boundaries:

He is more saying like its pushing different effects imo.
With that how can killzone 2 be right when it isn't even using hdr lighting if im not mistaken.

Its all smoke and mirrors

Fantasmo

I hated Halo MP in the past but the SP here looks very clean. Turning off heavy FX for better IQ is a great idea. If MP looks that clean, the MP could be fun. And finally it looks like competent programmers are handling it, Bungie was stuck in 90s whether the fans want to believe it or not. My biggest gripe with MP was always that the resolution and framerate was too low to keep track of enemies and aim well when shit hit the fan. I know plenty of people can compensate but not me. Framerate and clean image are a must for Halo's style of play, for me.

abadguy

Banned

And yet still manages to be one of the best looking games on current gen consoles in spite of these " missing effects" and looks every bit as good as the two heavily scripted corridoor shooters he mentioned. Its funny watching people try so hard to downplay this game instead of giving credit where its due.

Spiegel

Off topic but dude... the demo for GT5 outsold the full game over there. If that is not bombing... I don't know what is. You got your facts all mixed up.

It really didn't. GT5 Prologue Spec 3 was given away for free with the purchase of the new 80 GB PS3 in 2008

http://www.1up.com/news/japan-gran-turismo-5-prologue-bundled

Actual sales are more or less:

GT5P - 250k
GT5 - 600k

As you can see in this graph sales fell off a cliff after the promotion ended.
ZpXjr.png

I bet that BO2 won't sell more than 500k more than Halo 4 on the 360 in November NPD. In fact, I think Halo 4 will sell more, but you're the one claiming that BO2 will "crush it" on the 360 alone, so 500k seems like a reasonable threshold for being "crushed".

The loser has to sport the avatar provided by the winner for 1 month.

I bet that BO2 won't sell more than 500k more than Halo 4 on the 360 in November NPD. In fact, I think Halo 4 will sell more, but you're the one claiming that BO2 will "crush it" on the 360 alone, so 500k seems like a reasonable threshold for being "crushed".

The loser has to sport the avatar provided by the winner for 1 month.
ok, bet accepted.

It really didn't. GT5 Prologue Spec 3 was given away for free with the purchase of the new 80 GB PS3 in 2008]

The discussion ends when excuses start being made and pack ins are considered to inflate sales numbers. GT as a series is in a decline where as Halo keeps growing even when the original developer leaves. They are not comparable.

IJoel

No, it's really not. It's generic and trying to be a Hollywood movie. It's easily the worst part of the game at the moment.
Completely disagree. I'm curious if you've listened to the entire OST or just the released samples. I've been listening to the full OST a lot for the past few days and it's fantastic. The jury's still out on how well it will work with the game as the game's still not out.

The one thing I agree that it's somewhat missing is a iconic theme like the one for the original trilogy. But even this is debatable as I haven't experienced how the music integrates with the game.

Of course, this is subjective, as it's an opinion, but I have all Halo OSTs, and can say without a doubt that it compares really really well (I'm even tempted to say I like it more - that's how much I'm enjoying it).

Spiegel

The discussion ends when excuses start being made and pack ins are considered to inflate sales numbers. GT as a series is in a decline where as Halo keeps growing even when the original developer leaves. They are not comparable.

It's not an excuse and I don't care about how this compares to Halo. It's an explanation about why GTPrologue apparently sold better than the main release in Japan.

I'm only responding to this:

I've seen you post that as a fact many times in other contexts and wanted to help you get your facts straight because you are wrong. You can say that GT is in decline outside of Europe all you want (it's very true) but in Japan, GT:p sold less than half of what GT5 sold (as it should be because one is an overpriced demo and the other is a full new game) so you shouldn't use that line in an argument again.

And I will end the offtopic here.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sure, it sold less, but the arguement was about if GT5 was a waste of money or not, not about bombing. I just wanted to point out that evethough GT5 sold less in Japan compared to the previous Gran Turismo games, the sales of the Prologue versions + the final game brought in a lot of money in Japan as well. Off topic, but i just wanted to mention this =)

Regarding the whole killstreak or not killstreak the bate... what if 343 did copy the killstreak idea. So what? Who the hell cares?

Edit: I actually wrote debate as the bate, lol. Leaving it like that hehe.

I'd rather not have kill streaks in the game. I feel like it only makes the game more random. We already have random weapon drops, invisible perks that give people small extra powers and around 8 different AA's. With the personal ordinance drops, there are even more power weapons on the map and you won't know who was what until you see them.

I personally don't think I'll like this. Plus I think it's weird 343 added it considering one of their statements. They said they added the random global ordinance system so that long time players won't have an advantage over newer players. In the mean time, they add something that makes the better player even better while.

Same thing for the whole unlocking system really.

JonCha

Completely disagree. I'm curious if you've listened to the entire OST or just the released samples. I've been listening to the full OST a lot for the past few days and it's fantastic. The jury's still out on how well it will work with the game as the game's still not out.

The one thing I agree that it's somewhat missing is a iconic theme like the one for the original trilogy. But even this is debatable as I haven't experienced how the music integrates with the game.

Of course, this is subjective, as it's an opinion, but I have all Halo OSTs, and can say without a doubt that it compares really really well (I'm even tempted to say I like it more - that's how much I'm enjoying it).

Please tell me the chant returns.

Nope.

Its a good soundtrack, but it lacks a Marty's unique charm... however, it does bring a moody and beautiful OST that has a good mix of instrumentals and electronic sounds. Its biggest flaw is the lack of what feels like a central theme despite have 2-3 pieces that are amazing and could have easily been worked into other songs to make it feel iconic.

Seeds of the old theme creep into songs, but they never really formulate or finish, but those who are paying attention will catch them for sure.. but the old theme is basically absent entirely.. At least on the OST.

I think Halo has lost a lot of its popularity to COD. I'm just not hearing any buzz about Halo 4 at all apart from internet forums. It's nothing like Halo 2 or 3. Maybe I'm getting old but I asked some 10 yr olds what's "hot this year?". And they said its all about Fifa and Black Ops.

So I hope Microsoft make their money back. Personally I wasn't impressed by any of the live action marketing clips. They should stick to in engine footage.

Your 10 year old friends have shit taste lol

Yeah people calling personal ordnance "kill streaks" are horribly misinformed.

Not really: they both give you rewards based on personal performance.

Thankfully, it's just for one mode, and I had a chance to play that mode.

I am more concerned about the Tactical packages, support upgrades, and AA's. All of this is exactly similar to COD, albeit basic: You choose a loadout, you choose two perks. This adds a level of randomness and ruins the basic all-are-equal mentality Halo is known for.

Not that these can't be fun, but these always lead to balance issues, but more importantly to me, it leads to adding randomness to every encounter that you are not prepared for. I mean, Nemesis? Faster health regen? Infinite Sprint? That stuff gets added to every me-too shooter trying to mimic mainstream multiplayer concepts, and they always fall flat.

IJoel

As Jibbed mentioned, no iconic Halo chants in this OST. There are choir sections throughout the OST though. 'Revival' is great and has some good choir sections.

Nope, sorry.

'Awakening' and 'To Galaxy' are great though, I can see them catching on in their own right. 'Green and Blue' is a beautiful piece of music too.
Those are great, and I'd add 'Solace', 'Nemesis', and 'Revival' to that bunch.

JonCha

Nope, sorry.

'Awakening' and 'To Galaxy' are great though, I can see them catching on in their own right. 'Green and Blue' is a beautiful piece of music too.

Nope.

Its a good soundtrack, but it lacks a Marty's unique charm... however, it does bring a moody and beautiful OST that has a good mix of instrumentals and electronic sounds. Its biggest flaw is the lack of what feels like a central theme despite have 2-3 pieces that are amazing and could have easily been worked into other songs to make it feel iconic.

Seeds of the old theme creep into songs, but they never really formulate or finish, but those who are paying attention will catch them for sure.. but the old theme is basically absent entirely.. At least on the OST.

Disappointing. The reveal trailer had the theme play at the end and it sounded fantastic so I was hoping it would feature. I know the chant is in themes that are available on Davidge's Soundcloud page, and it sounds great again, but that theme is Halo to me. Here's hoping people don't write off the soundtrack off because it's gone.

Disappointing. The reveal trailer had the theme play at the end and it sounded fantastic so I was hoping it would feature. I know the chant is in themes that are available on Davidge's Soundcloud page, and it sounds great again, but that theme is Halo to me. Here's hoping people don't right off the soundtrack off because it's gone.

I can't comment on it since I haven't played it nor watched spoilers, but I really wish they would have had the theme play towards the beginning of the game at least.. possibly at the reveal of MC and Cortana or the final set piece of the first level. Something to kinda give that iconic feel. And then let the soundtrack be its own until the end where it would have been nice to hear it, in one way or another.

It is too bad he didn't bring back at least one iconic song, but rewrite and record it so its still his own variation.. The Halo Wars soundtrack did this and man some of that music was nice.

I can't comment on it since I haven't played it nor watched spoilers, but I really wish they would have had the theme play towards the beginning of the game at least.. possibly at the reveal of MC and Cortana or the final set piece of the first level. Something to kinda give that iconic feel. And then let the soundtrack be its own until the end where it would have been nice to hear it, in one way or another.

It is too bad he didn't bring back at least one iconic song, but rewrite and record it so its still his own variation.. The Halo Wars soundtrack did this and man some of that music was nice.
Well we saw a Halo in the Gameplay Launch Trailer, I bet the Halo theme plays when you see it.

wwm0nkey

Not really: they both give you rewards based on personal performance.

Thankfully, it's just for one mode, and I had a chance to play that mode.

I am more concerned about the perks and AA's, mind informing me on that?

I guess misinformed was a poor choice of words and that "simplifying" would have probably been better, but when I hear kill streaks I think of Airstikes, attack helicopters and nukes, not just care package.

Also I didn't say anything about the killstreaks or AA's not coming from CoD did I? I will say this much though, when I played it the AAs were pretty passive compared to Reach.

Somewhere, someone on GAF will complain about the poorer ground textures (such as those on Ragnarok and Exile) being distracting so much as to legitimately hurt gameplay when they're really just complaining that everything doesn't look as perfect as the rocks. Betting $10.

Heroic: Betting $5 that someone will see my post and try to make an elaborate counterpoint that basically amounts to "butbutbut it's justified, why doesn't the game look like [insert good-looking game on another console here that has about a fourth of Halo 4's feature set]?"

Legendary: Betting 599 US dollars that someone will say we wouldn't have this problem if the game was on PC.

Somewhere, someone on GAF will complain about the poorer ground textures (such as those on Ragnarok and Exile) being distracting so much as to legitimately hurt gameplay when they're really just complaining that everything doesn't look as perfect as the rocks. Betting $10.

Heroic: Betting $5 that someone will see my post and try to make an elaborate counterpoint that basically amounts to "butbutbut it's justified, why doesn't the game look like [insert good-looking game on another console here that has about a fourth of Halo 4's feature set]?"

Legendary: Betting 599 US dollars that someone will say we wouldn't have this problem if the game was on PC.

Just feel like saying something since I have commented on this before. Graphically Ragnarok looks fine, but artistically its a bit of a letdown. At the end of the day that has no effect on gameplay, but I think people are allowed to share their dislike of the look of a fan favorite remake map.

Conor 419

Banned
Solace, Requiem, Legacy, 117 and The Gui Boratto remix of Awakening are imo, the top five tracks.

Rest easy. The game plays wonderfully.

Have you played through the campaign? Is the story good? What are the large encounters like?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I played it in Sydney a while back. Gotta say I loved the hell out of it. That's coming from someone who didn't really get into reach or Halo3.

I don't think they have turned it into "CoD in Space" at all. It still plays very much like Halo. Actually kind of reminds me more of Halo2 multiplayer.

So I'm very excited for the single player. I have managed to avoid spoilers. Only a little longer to go.

Also... 343i, Please, please, please get to work on ODST2. I don't care if the core Halo fans hated it. It was the most interesting Halo game this gen (so far).

Kuroyume

Banned
I wonder what they spent the money on. Yeah the graphics are really nice but smaller devs have pusshed out nice graphics before. Many old features and modes are missing and doesn't seem like it's packed with more content than any of the older games. I'm guessing it has something to do with that movie they're doing.

Just feel like saying something since I have commented on this before. Graphically Ragnarok looks fine, but artistically its a bit of a letdown. At the end of the day that has no effect on gameplay, but I think people are allowed to share their dislike of the look of a fan favorite remake map.

Nah, that's understandable, I mean the ground texture specifically.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Well to be honest, the last time I spent any real time on Halo multiplayer was on H2 so that's probably a large chunk of it. It felt more solid than say reach too. Even with all the perks and stuff now. Which I didn't really like in reach.

It just feels like Halo should. While still evolving the core mechanics.

scitek

I honestly hate that I can't play this because I no longer have an Xbox 360. And I can't really justify purchasing one for one game. I hadn't paid any attention to it at all because of that, but watching that E3 trailer, the part where it goes to gameplay looks like a concept render from 2005 in real-time.

Top Bottom