• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: New "Forward Unto Dawn" First Look/News/Photos

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
UPDATE: FULL LENGTH TRAILER. HYPE.

http://youtu.be/Ca3Y8Ws3plI

Comic-Con will feature a bigger look at the Halo 4 live action series "Forward Unto Dawn," but IGN has a new preview up showing an in-depth look at the series. Check the video and some new set shots below.

Video (5:33):
http://youtu.be/b_4skHcCpT4

Info:
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/halo-4-forward-unto-dawn

IGN said:
The series will debut on Oct. 5, 2012, on Machinima’s premium YouTube channel, Machinima Prime (http://www.YouTube.com/MachinimaPrime), and on Halo Waypoint (http://halo.xbox.com/ForwardUntoDawn), and will unfold through a series of five episodes leading up to the worldwide launch of “Halo 4” on Nov. 6. An extended, 90-minute Special Edition featuring never-before-seen bonus footage, in-fiction content and behind-the-scenes videos will be available Nov. 6, 2012, on video-on-demand services and in the “Halo 4” Limited Edition, for $99.99 (U.S.).1

Set against the backdrop of a United Nations Space Command (UNSC) military academy, a group of highborn cadets are training to be the next generation of soldiers in the UNSC’s ongoing war with insurrectionists in the outer colonial planets. Among these cadets, Thomas Lasky struggles with his doubts about this war and with the burden of expectations he may not be able to carry. As Lasky comes to terms with his potential as a military leader, the terrifying alien alliance known as the Covenant arrives and turns his world upside down. Inspired by the Master Chief, he must decide what it means to be a hero. “Halo” fans who experience Lasky’s thrilling origin story in “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” will be rewarded with special insights into the story of “Halo 4” and the “Halo Infinity Multiplayer” experience.

Cast and production team. Directed by Stewart Hendler (“H+,” “Sorority Row”) and written by Todd Helbing and Aaron Helbing (“Smallville,” “Spartacus”); “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” features a diverse cast of established and up-and-coming Hollywood talent, including Tom Green (“Dance Academy”) as Thomas Lasky, Anna Popplewell (“The Chronicles of Narnia”) as Chyler Silva, Daniel Cudmore (“X2,” “X-Men: The Last Stand,” “The Twilight Saga”) as the Master Chief, Ayelet Zurer (“Angels & Demons,” “Munich”) as Mehaffey, Mike Dopud (“Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol”) as General Black, Enisha Brewster (“Footloose”) as April Orenski, Masam Holden (“Grey’s Anatomy,” “Elizabethtown”) as Michael “Sully” Sullivan, Osric Chau (“2012”) as JJ Chen, Iain Belcher (“Supernatural”) as Vickers, and Kat De Lieva as Dimah.

“Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” is backed by a top-tier production team, including producers Lydia Antonini and Josh Feldman, former Warner Bros. and Playtone executives, respectively. Continuing its involvement with the “Halo” franchise, Legacy Effects (“The Hunger Games,” “The Avengers,” “Avatar”) is creating specialized costumes and armor, and visual effects are being designed by an award-winning team led by John Sullivan (“The Pacific”). Production services are provided by Herzog & Company.

Shots:

Halo4_ForwardUntoDawn_KeyArt_11x17_Final.jpg

H3xum

I didn't know this was a thing

I don't want them to humanize Spartans, I like them better assuming they're all out mechanized precise killing machines

I'll watch (the first ep) anyway

fernoca

Interetsing, Daniel Cudmore too.

Though I got scared for a sec when the first name listed was 'Tom Green'. XD

EDIT:
Oh, Daniel Cudmore is Master Chief.

I don't know what it is about this that gives me this feeling but... somehow i think this might end up being trashy. Production values seem high enough and the team really seems to be focused and spirited but I just can't see them doing this in a way that could be really taken seriously. Might also be way more entertaining if it has this slightly ridiculous touch.

Cast and costumes seem solid though. Looking forward to it.

I don't know what it is about this that gives me this feeling but... somehow i think this might end up being trashy. Production values seem high enough and the team really seems to be focused and spirited but I just can't see them doing this in a way that could be really taken seriously. Might also be way more entertaining if it has this slightly ridiculous touch.

Cast and costumes seem solid though. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, I mean I'd be willing to be that the script will be terrible and the CG will be a bit off. But hey, it's not HBO or something.

Am I the only one who thought this was a toy model set? Put on a few pounds, recruits.

Yeah I thought it was something from that "Believe" diorama thing. The Marine helmets are too large, in addition to them having pencil arms (if we're being picky).

Valhelm

contribute something

I don't want them to humanize Spartans, I like them better assuming they're all out mechanized precise killing machines

Actually, the Spartans began to be humanized with Halo: The Fall of Reach, a novel that actually came out soon before Halo: CE hit the shelves.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah I thought it was something from that "Believe" diorama thing. The Marine helmets are too large, in addition to them having pencil arms (if we're being picky).

Well they are in training, and young (obviously). This series follows them through training I believe. I'd guess they will bulk up as they go.

remz

Too late for that, considering Reach was a thing and that was like SPARTANS ARE PEOPLE, THE GAME. Ahh well

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well they are in training, and young (obviously). This series follows them through training I believe. I'd guess they will bulk up as they go.
Eh, probably not. And I'm fine with that, but there's still the goofy disconnect of seeing 'highborn' kids wearing stuff twice their size.

Also, kilograms, not pounds! Halo uses metric, hooray.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Welcome to tilt shift land. It's a beautiful country made of lego dreams.

But yeah, they're pretty skinny for what's supposed to be space marines.

These cadets are not Spartan or even ODST trainees, they are the scions of elite military brass, training for high level command careers. It's West Point, effectively.

H3xum

I'll take a Saving Private Ryan over an Expendables any day.

Fair point, I (at no ones fault but my own) am not invested in the human aspect of the Spartans in Halo up to this point, so for this to come now just doesn't appeal to me where it most certainly would coming fresh at the beginning of a new series.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fair point, I (at no ones fault but my own) am not invested in the human aspect of the Spartans in Halo up to this point, so for this to come now just doesn't appeal to me where it most certainly would coming fresh at the beginning of a new series.

Well, this follows trainees (as Frankie noted above) for high up positions. Not Spartans. Chief will be the lone killing machine.

Vire

Hmm... not crazy about the director choice. I guess anyone else was out of budget.

Still cautiously looking forward to this.

Of course I rather see in-game stuff about Halo 4 though.

If I were hilariously rich I'd get scientists and engineers to make me a working masterchief suit that looked just like that picture except even realerer.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank on point today.

Any hints about what's to be seen from Halo 4 at Comic-Con? FUD trailer debut I assume. What about new Halo 4 info and videos?

exYle

We recorded two actors for the Chief's voice. This is set more than 20 years ago - Chief, by necessity has to sound much younger. Downes is our main Chief however and will be joining us at comiccon.

Is the physical actor the younger voice?

Top Bottom