• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Finished campaign.

Legendary co-op run. Took exactly 7 hours, 29 minutes and 42 seconds.

Did you time it independently, or are you going off the stats in the game? Because if it's the latter it doesn't include any cinematics (~one hour) or multiple deaths/retries.

Jarmel

Banned
Started playing the SP portion of the game recently, and the ammo management is still as bad as in the past Halo titles. In general, a single enemy has a lot of HP and/or even shields, while every gun in the game has relatively very few bullets. You're constantly either looking for ammo (rarely.) or new guns (usually.), and rarely finding your favorite/preferred weapon -- it's so extreme that it's basically everything that you do in a regular session. It's not fun at all. And I'm just playing on medium difficulty.

I think the games would have benefitted a great deal with a gun-experience system - the more you use a weapon, the more experience you get, and the more ammo it will hold. Either that, or a skill point system where you can choose what you want to raise.

Doing heroic and I definitely am feeling the ammo pinch. Just finished Chapter 3 and so far it's been a real pain in regards to ammo.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I feel like I've really missed out on understanding a chunk of the story by ignoring Greg Bear's books.

Oh well. Fun enough campaign.

Lingitiz

I'm starting to turn on the MP now. It feels weird to be spawning and immediately encountering dudes with Scattershots who kill me right away. Definitely not liking that aspect so far.

Jarmel

Banned
I also just wanted to repeat how gorgeous the art direction was in Chapter 3. So far the game really has been outstanding in atmosphere and visuals.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just played a game of BTB using nothing but power weapons.

Pachinko

Just cleared the 4th stage and yeah, this is a damn fine looking console game. It's at the very least- neck and neck with the biggest visual showpieces on ps3 and would easily hold it's own even on PC with where one would assume you'd get a resolution and framerate boost (obviously not coming out but I'm trying to compare apples to apples here).

I'm also finding that true to form, the first 2 stages of any halo game are always the weakest bits then the 3rd and 4th stages add enough elements and expanded level design to keep me going. This newest Halo is no exception in that regard.

So far my only real gripe remains the same as yesterday- the warthog doesn't sound like it should. I suppose I could bitch about the promethian weaponry being too similar to the covenent/human weapons but ehhh I don't think they can really go too crazy there. I've still got some issues with the narrative that I can't really complain about until I've finished the game but the main storyline conceit seems to basically be the same as halo 1 so far, I'll obviously finish the game at some point and decide if this is still the case.

RedSwirl

So I JUST stepped into the
mantis, and y'know what? I want a mech game. I mean a straight-up action game built around jumping in and out of mechs. A few days ago I was reminiscing about old side scrolling mech games of the 16-bit era like Cybernator, Target Earth, and Metal Warriors. Why can't we have some shit like that now? Mechs are already becoming a trend in first person shooters, why not go all the way?

So I JUST stepped into the
mantis, and y'know what? I want a mech game. I mean a straight-up action game built around jumping in and out of mechs. A few days ago I was reminiscing about old side scrolling mech games of the 16-bit era like Cybernator, Target Earth, and Metal Warriors. Why can't we have some shit like that now? Mechs are already becoming a trend in first person shooters, why not go all the way?
Get MechAssault 1 and 2 on Xbox.

GamerSoul

I got to play a decent amount of multiplayer with friends today. I gotta say it is really fun. I can't remember a time where I was worried about someone with a shotgun, sword, or rocket launcher in this game. Almost every weapon can hold it's own and there are a lot of ways you can get owned now lol.The DMR is amazing, it sounds amazing, kills are amazing. The BR is good too but man I'm getting more kills with the DMR right now. Still got the same random skill level so far though. Consistency is not how i play my halo :3

StuBurns

Banned
Reach > 3 > CE > 2 > ODST

4 is hard to place, not quite finished it yet, but I'm enjoying it a lot, I won't be surprised if it ends up close to Reach. No Flood is just the most holy of gifts.

What control method are you guys using?

I am finding the default one a bit weird, since melee is mapped to RB, which is making it hard for me to go from shooting RT to RB in CQC.

Recon is another alternative, but Sprint it mapped to X!

Kb/m

Shift is run. MMB is melee. Right Mouse is zoom. Ctrl is special ability, C is crouch. Space Bar is jump. Xim3 makes playing this so much fun.

Anyone else having this odd issue? It's probably due to my shitty campus network.
I can matchmake just fine in War Games, but when I try to matchmake for Spartan Ops stuff, I lose my Xbox Live connection until I restart the game.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Am i right in assuming you need 2 gold accounts to play Spartan Ops locally? If so that blows, cause i don't want to set up another gold account just so i can play with my bro locally.

RedSwirl

In terms of level design I'm actually not sure exactly how I'd rank them.

CE > 3 = ODST = Reach > 2

What's important is that for me, CE ranks at the top and 2 at the bottom.

leng jai

The audio is mostly excellent but some of the weapon sounds are pretty crap. Apart from the Assault Rifle I don't think any of the weapons sounds great. The Covenant weapon sounds are all too screechy and the shotgun is disgraceful (did they forget to add bass or what?).

how does this work? do we have to be actually playing or just in the lobby? link

halo4index_bg.jpg

GamerSoul

Am i right in assuming you need 2 gold accounts to play Spartan Ops locally? If so that blows, cause i don't want to set up another gold account just so i can play with my bro locally.

Are you using the trial? It didnt work for me beacause I was using the 2 week trial. Everytime we tried it would sign him off too.

What the hell is wrong with Microsoft that they're not selling Halo 4, Halo Anniversary, ODST digitally now? Are they allergic to making as much money as possible?

Majanew

Banned
Just beat the game
all that buildup and the Didact didn't put up a fight? Lol what a weak ass boss fight. Anti climactic

GAMERG0D

DAMN IT! I hate how Halo 4 doesn't save the past few games you've had in theater, I wish it did that like MW3 does. I did this really sick thing on Haven wish I could have recorded it. :/

REV 09

Campaign:

Reach
CE
ODST

4 looks great but so far (finished ch 4) it isn't so hot and the story is terrible. Pacing and music are rough and the pathfinding of the ai is really bad. The new weapons and enemies are cool though and again the game is gorgeous.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This actually got me to finally sign up for Xbox Rewards, even though it's pretty useless outside of offers like this and for when you renew your Gold subscription. Might as well buy the season pass this month and get 100 free points. I don't think I'll be playing 140+ hours of MP in three weeks, though...

Speaking of the season pass, has anyone bought/redeemed it yet? Do you get the helmets right away?

LQX

Loving it so far BUT I'm having such a awkward time with the fact there is no traditional iron sights. I laughed at that review but now I know exactly what that he was saying. I should be able to look down my weapons for better shots. It just does not feel right. I don't remember having such a awkward time in Reach but then again its been over year since I last played it.

And FUCK, give us user control key mapping. It is 2000 fucking 12. Why the hell is this so hard on consoles? Give me control over ever damn button. FUCK.

DAMN IT! I hate how Halo 4 doesn't save the past few games you've had in theater, I wish it did that like MW3 does. I did this really sick thing on Haven wish I could have recorded it. :/

It does... You just have to use the thumb stick to view temporary file history.

Halo 4's UI is at times very un-intuitive, I really do not know what they were thinking with some of the changes they made.

GAMERG0D

This actually got me to finally sign up for Xbox Rewards, even though it's pretty useless outside of offers like this and for when you renew your Gold subscription. Might as well buy the season pass this month and get 100 free points. I don't think I'll be playing 140+ hours of MP in three weeks, though...

Speaking of the season pass, has anyone bought/redeemed it yet? Do you get the helmets right away?
Whoa, didn't know about this. I must have been busy playing. :p Looks like I'll be playing a lot. I love XBL Rewards.

I have no idea why the UI is like this, but in theater if you hit start, then on that menu go to the rightmost option on the bottom row (file share I think? it doesn't make sense because you haven't shared it) then you can get to your recent game videos. It really makes absolutely no sense why they don't just show up as the first item in the first menu option under theater.

Rev3rb

Loving it so far BUT I'm having such a awkward time with the fact there is no traditional iron sights. I laughed at that review but now I know exactly what that he was saying. I should be able to look down my weapons for better shots. It just does not feel right. I don't remember having such a awkward time in Reach but then again its been over year since I last played it.

And FUCK, give us user control key mapping. It is 2000 fucking 12. Why the hell is this so hard on consoles? Give me control over ever damn button. FUCK.

Oh, lord...

Top Bottom