• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

GAMERG0D

It does... You just have to use the thumb stick to view temporary file history.

Halo 4's UI is at times very un-intuitive, I really do not know what they were thinking with some of the changes they made.

Oh wow I found it, thanks!

I have no idea why the UI is like this, but in theater if you hit start, then on that menu go to the rightmost option on the bottom row (file share I think? it doesn't make sense because you haven't shared it) then you can get to your recent game videos. It really makes absolutely no sense why they don't just show up as the first item in the first menu option under theater.

Yeah I just found that out, I thought I was used to the new UI but I guess not...

FStop7

Banned
This game... is good.

Was hoping to settle in and play a bunch of multi tonight but work ruined those plans. What little time I had to play I spent in Regicide - FUN!

MrBig

Finally unlocked my LR for MP, really really love it. By far my favorite rifle.

Spartan Ops was good. Length was about what I expected, a little over an hour for the whole episode. Content was a bit fetch-questy, but I enjoyed it. The waypoints over all the enemies heads need to go, makes it somewhat feel like I'm just playing a linear firefight mission, in which I'm just seeking out enemies in an arcade fashion.

StuBurns

Banned
What's up with the Halo Reach love/hate relationships in this thread?
The Marmite of Halos it appears.

Although it's my favorite, that's mostly because I appreciate it's consistency. Halo 3's highs are higher, but I think averaged out, Reach is just mostly better. I think the multiplayer left a sour taste in many mouths too, which probably taints people's perception of the campaign a little.

njean777

Loving the game so far, other then grenade throwing it feels really great. I guess I will just have to get used to how the grenades throw in this game. Going to be hard when I switching between this and BLOPS 2 Multiplayer.

exYle

My experience with the campaign was... middling. Which upset me. However, it's entirely possible this is because I was playing alone and finished 75% of the campaign between 12-6:30 AM. I think if I go back it'll be much more enjoyable.

What's up with the Halo Reach love/hate relationships in this thread?
Multiplayer was the worst in the series by orders of magnitude. And coming from ODST, the single player wasn't outstanding as I found Firefight done better in ODST, and while the campaign was alright, ODST's was still better. Multiplayer was a true abomination and blight on the name Halo though.

It really wasn't.
Blasphemer.

rCIZZLE

I miss old halo already. Game is way too much like cod now, has too few maps, and some lame power ups/special weps (wall hacks, inc cannon, saw).

Another (better) angle from my warthog launch in MP.

PQ6iX.jpg

Incineration Cannon vs Warthog

Here is the other angle
Youtube

Let me know if that picture should be re-sized...

The Marmite of Halos it appears.

Although it's my favorite, that's mostly because I appreciate it's consistency. Halo 3's highs are higher, but I think averaged out, Reach is just mostly better. I think the multiplayer left a sour taste in many mouths too, which probably taints people's perception of the campaign a little.

I really enjoyed Reach's campaign. It's solid all the way through. Like you said it never reaches the greatness of levels like the Ark or the Covenant in 3, but it doesn't have a Cortana either. You're spot on with the MP tainting people's views of the campaign. I know me and many other Halo fans who have been playing since the beginning were really letdown with Reach's MP, and that disappointment makes people forget/ignore the things Reach did do very well.

Really hate that the Master chief talks so much. It´s really distracting for me. Also hate that i`m forced to use the shitty alien weapons because ammunition for the human weapons are so sparse. Terrible design decision.

I also don`t like the more serious tone of the game.

Graphics are good, with some great stuff and some really bad assets.

So far it´s an Ok game (two missions left).

Apath

The music is really not as good as Bungie's work. It's not bad music so to speak, but it's definitely not iconic like Halo's music has been known for. It just feels... generic.

Finished campaign on Heroic the other night. Haven't touched multi yet.

I thought it was both the prettiest and shittiest campaign out of the main Halo games.

The art direction in this game was fucking amazing. The sense of scope was absolutely bonkers.

That being said, whilst the sense of scope was amazing, the actual scope of the game was not. The battles in this game weren't even close to the scale of battles in Reach and especially HALO 3. And what battles there were I found completely uninteresting. I can't think of one single, memorable encounter or set piece. There were certainly sections of the game where you thought 'Oh, this is new' ala Reach's Sword-piloting section, but nothing that I thought 'I IMMEDIATELY want to replay this after I finish.' In fact, I went back for a replay to check out some of the prettier locales again and am completely bored by the battles along the way. They were definitely missing that 'I can approach this battle any way I want' factor as well.

The Prometheans aren't interesting enemies to fight and the Covenant aren't nearly as clever as they have been in the past games. A.I downgrade total.

I think the story was okay. The cinematics are the best they've ever been and superbly directed. I didn't appreciate how much the story seemed to err on the side of fantasy and things not making a lick of sense. It became the HALO equivalent of 'magic' plot contrivances. Interactions between Chief and Cortana are good, if a little Bold and the Beautiful, but I'm willing to roll with it.

My biggest disappointment is probably what seems to be a continued regression in terms of features. After Reach ditched the smart interactive Scarabs, HALO 4 has gone ever further back. Where the fuck are all the vehicles? Let alone new ones.

Overall I enjoyed the campaign and am happy it's in 343's hands. I chalk most of the problems up to it being their first HALO and under a tight release schedule. Hopefully everything will be addressed in the next game.

HALO 3 > HALO:CE > HALO REACH > HALO 2 > HALO 4.

Also, grenades are absolutely useless in this game.

njean777

Really hate that the Master chief talks so much. It´s really distracting for me. Also hate that i`m forced to use the shitty alien weapons because ammunition for the human weapons are so sparse. Terrible design decision.

I also don`t like the more serious tone of the game.

Graphics are good, with some great stuff and some really bad assets.

So far it´s an Ok game (two missions left).

I personally like the fact that he talks more, gives him some character. The old chief was boring and might as well been a silent protagonist, which IMO doesnt sit well when you have an AI/humans talking to you all the time.

The weapons I also found interesting, I like the fact that they make you use the alien weapons and it makes since as the humans are not really fully set up on the installation. Maybe it is just me, but it adds some flavor to the gameplay instead of letting you become to comfortable with just using the human weapons.

Trey

Finished campaign on Heroic the other night. Haven't touched multi yet.

I thought it was both the prettiest and shittiest campaign out of the main Halo games.

The art direction in this game was fucking amazing. The sense of scope was absolutely bonkers.

That being said, whilst the sense of scope was amazing, the actual scope of the game was not. The battles in this game weren't even close to the scale of battles in Reach and especially HALO 3. And what battles there were I found completely uninteresting. I can't think of one single, memorable encounter or set piece. There were certainly sections of the game where you thought 'Oh, this is new' ala Reach's Sword-piloting section, but nothing that I thought 'I IMMEDIATELY want to replay this after I finish.' In fact, I went back for a replay to check out some of the prettier locales again and am completely bored by the battles along the way. They were definitely missing that 'I can approach this battle any way I want' factor as well.

The Prometheans aren't interesting enemies to fight and the Covenant aren't nearly as clever as they have been in the past games. A.I downgrade total.

I think the story was okay. The cinematics are the best they've ever been and superbly directed. I didn't appreciate how much the story seemed to err on the side of fantasy and things not making a lick of sense. It became the HALO equivalent of 'magic' plot contrivances. Interactions between Chief and Cortana are good, if a little Bold and the Beautiful, but I'm willing to roll with it.

My biggest disappointment is probably what seems to be a continued regression in terms of features. After Reach ditched the smart interactive Scarabs, HALO 4 has gone ever further back. Where the fuck are all the vehicles? Let alone new ones.

Overall I enjoyed the campaign and am happy it's in 343's hands. I chalk most of the problems up to it being their first HALO and under a tight release schedule. Hopefully everything will be addressed in the next game.

HALO 3 > HALO:CE > HALO REACH > HALO 2 > HALO 4.

Also, grenades are absolutely useless in this game.

Nice write up, even though I disagree with you on everything but the presentation and the grenades.

I guess I'll start collating my thoughts for my own review.

Canuck76

Banned
Agreed about halfway through, and grenades are almost useless. AOE so small it doesn't matter. Same with a lot of AOE stuff, when a Wraith shoots you it's not a huge ball of plasma it's a svelte shot that's not earth shattering like other Halo games.

I also agree with the "approach it the way you want" battles. Too few of those. That one with the three cores and prometheans and covie fighting each other was great.

Overall i think it's just been enough Halo for me. I don't regret getting this game, but wow man they have to mix it up for Halo 5. Or else it's almost a no buy. I've just had enough, i finished the fight in 2007, went back to reach and tried to finish the fight there, and there's still more?

Microsoft I'm not Master Chief. I'm going to get tired of this formula. Story has been pulling me along, they seem to be going farther with the plot than previous games. Still, new enemies and new weapons have kind of already worn out their welcome. Hunter Battles, Scoripon tank levels. It's all here.

Only Halo game i'd be super interested in would ODST 2.

Also my ranking. Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo Reach > Halo ODST > Halo 3

Anyone else feel a "Halo" moment at the beginning of Mission 2?

After you recover from FUD crashing into Requiem, and approach the cliff to the fantastic view of the large pillars in the distance.

It definitely reminded me of that moment I first stepped onto Halo in CE.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Best game ever made!

I just beat it on Legendary. The game didn't record me beating level 7 because I restarted from rally point Bravo after I accidentally lost power. Will that disqualify me from a secret Legendary ending if any?

Lingitiz

The part in Mission 6 where the music from the concept art trailer hits is great. I wonder why they didn't include that in the OST? It's a really good track.

I breezed through the campaign on Normal, thought the game play was so-so.
Now I'm playing it on Legendary and the gameplay is really shining.
The Prometheans really do change up the formula on higher difficulties.

I haven't touched multi yet, but had a quick play around in Forge.

Has the Boost armor ability been nerfed for multi? It seemed to move you MUCH further in campaign mode. Is it something you level up?

My guess is that it's just been nerfed into uselessness for multi.

Halo Reach is not only my least favorite Halo campaign, it's probably the single biggest single player disappointment of this generation for me. The lows were flat out boring and high's still managed to fall flat sans Long Night of Solace and Lonewolf. By far I am more of a campaign fan then multiplayer, so I won't even touch my complaints with the mp.

After 1 play through Halo 4 is in my top 3 Halo campaigns, with its main weaknesses being weak narrative in the third act and combat scenarios being on a little lackluster, especially compared to Halo 3 and CE

strata8

Anyone else feel a "Halo" moment at the beginning of Mission 2?

After you recover from FUD crashing into Requiem, and approach the cliff to the fantastic view of the large pillars in the distance.

It definitely reminded me of that moment I first stepped onto Halo in CE.

Yep.

Also the soundtrack that plays when you reach that part (this one) is eerily similar to this track from Fez.

Havok

Is the challenge for completing all of the SpOps missions on Legendary still locked for anyone else?
Seems to be bugged for a lot of people. I managed to unlock it, but I didn't do anything special. My roommate met the requirements (I watched him do so, actually) but it refused to unlock.

Has the Boost armor ability been nerfed for multi? It seemed to move you MUCH further in campaign mode. Is it something you level up?

It might be slightly different in multi, but the areas you were able to use it in during the campaign were generally much more cramped than any given multiplayer space, which might have something to do with your perception of it. It's not about covering ground in the first place, though. It'll get you around a corner, or out of the path of a rocket. They had to take measures to ensure that it was not going to become the new Evade, which broke Reach for a very long time.

Sec0nd

um it literally says +10 kill, +5 assist etc in the middle of the screen in white text. Also its quite obvious when a guy has a shield, when you pop it and when it's recharging.

I know it does, but it's a small and white font on some pretty bright backgrounds. Therefor, at least for me (I'm semi colorblind-ish), it's extremely hard to notice. And sure, I see it when I drop someones shield. The problem is that when you come around the corner and there are two enemies there, one with shield and the other without, you can barely see which one is the one without shield.

Edit: Is there a color blind option in this game that I missed? Colorblind option helped me out a bunch in BF3 and the CoD games.

Karl2177

Seems to be bugged for a lot of people. I managed to unlock it, but I didn't do anything special. My roommate met the requirements (I watched him do so, actually) but it refused to unlock.

Huh. I might try going through them Solo Legendary, but I doubt that will fix it.

maybe it's just me, but I'm finding the chapters are very short in this compared to past halo games. maybe it's because I'm not fully exploring, but then I am also not rushing through. IDK, it's a strange feeling to be on part way through chapter 3 of a halo game within 45 - 10 hour of starting.

apart from that, I'm really loving the game. I booted up spartan ops last night, the intro cinematic is simply amazing. I can't believe how good the cg is. it's jaw dropping stuff.

It's horrible in multiplayer now. The only decent use for it is to get around a corner quickly, or to evade a vehicle. That's it.

Back at E3 I swear it was more like it is in Campaign. :(

Raide

So I JUST stepped into the
mantis, and y'know what? I want a mech game. I mean a straight-up action game built around jumping in and out of mechs. A few days ago I was reminiscing about old side scrolling mech games of the 16-bit era like Cybernator, Target Earth, and Metal Warriors. Why can't we have some shit like that now? Mechs are already becoming a trend in first person shooters, why not go all the way?

Lost Planet?

Well, finished the campaign. Now I'm going to do some Spartan Ops.

GOTY for me on the campaign side. I think I'm going to dip into multiplayer now, what's the consensus so far?

Rad Agast

LE is stuck at customs apparently so I broke down and picked up two regular editions today. The new console isn't here either but at least I'll get to play finally.

I can't wait to finish my working hours ^_^

abadguy

Banned
I miss old halo already. Game is way too much like cod now, has too few maps, and some lame power ups/special weps (wall hacks, inc cannon, saw).

Even with the "killstreaks" they added, the MP feels nothing at all like COD. Just got off a four hour session with some friends , and they were comparing it to H2 mp. I didn't get to play H2 multi but i played a lot of 3. So for me it plays like a faster H3 with killstreaks. Also i'm not sure if the auto aim is gone or just really toned down compared to the last two games, but its a hell of a lot easier for me to line up a head shot now that my gun isn't following another enemy that happens to be nearby.

I enjoyed the campaign , it was gorgeous to look at with some great sci fi set pieces, i didn't care much for the final level though , but i really liked the ending. Very solid Halo campaign IMO.
Single player wise
CE>Reach>4>ODST>3>>>>2

JimiNutz

Banned
Is it too early for a 'best loadout' to appear, or is the game so well balanced that there isn't one?

I'm using DMR, Magnum, Frags, Re-gen, scavenger (so that I can pick up grenades on battlefield) and explosives (so that those grenades have more power).

Once I'm bored with this I wanna try Carbine, Plasma Pistol, Plasma grenades, Cammo, and will keep the same grenade stuff.

At the moment im playing nothing but infinity slayer.

Ken

LE is stuck at customs apparently so I broke down and picked up two regular editions today. The new console isn't here either but at least I'll get to play finally.

I can't wait to finish my working hours ^_^

Radagast the Rich.

Is it too early for a 'best loadout' to appear, or is the game so well balanced that there isn't one?

I'm using DMR, Magnum, Frags, Re-gen, scavenger (so that I can pick up grenades on battlefield) and explosives (so that those grenades have more power).

Once I'm bored with this I wanna try Carbine, Plasma Pistol, Plasma grenades, Cammo, and will keep the same grenade stuff.

At the moment im playing nothing but infinity slayer.

Best loadout comes down to how good you are with your primary rifle. Everything else doesn't have that much impact in duels.

Linconan

My L.E Halo4 will arrive tomorrow, FINALLY!
Don't give a rats about multi much.
SP all the way :p

I'm worried about a few things but i'll bite my tongue atm.
Hopefully it'll be good (to "MY" HALO satisfaction), but i've got a feeling the original HALO will always rule my heart. and,..343s HALO Anniversary.

Can't wait to download the Forward Unto Dawn episodes. They were awesome, especially the last two.

I was scar'd ever since Halo2.
Halo 3 was pretty cool.
Didn't wanna touch the spinoffs.
So i praying HALO 4 brings me back to my roots to what i loved about HALO.

Questions if ok:
The extra 90mins in the Forward Unto Dawn. Is that in this Dl'd version? Or is it going to be in the Bluray version come Dec?

Question 2:
When installing HALO 4 into the Hdd, does it matter what order to install?
Disc 1, Disc 2
Disc 1 only (SP?)

I haven't been following HALO 4 that much in content as such, so i apologise if this is common knowledge as i wanted to keep it as fresh as possible.

ps.. Cortana looks really,..really hot.
I soooo wanna F*** that!
Is that wrong to say that.
Damn, i glad my Wife doesn't read my crap on the Net. LOL

anyone else having trouble with the all heroic or higher difficulty on the first round of spartan ops challenges? me and some co-ops beat them all on legendary, but on the challenges list it show us at 0/5. do you have to beat them at the difficulty solo? all the other challenges were being marked off just fine.

Top Bottom