• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Mik2121

I know this has probably been said a million times, but the game just got released here in Japan today so I couldn't say it before...

... this game is BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, amazing job. I'm still on my... second mission, I think? (Requiem), and almost every 3 minutes or so there's some view that just looks straight taken from some artwork.

broony

I'm having various issue with sound in this game. Firstly the weapon sounds are amazing, but often they don't seem to play. I have had a guy firing at me with an AR right next to me but it was silent. All other game sounds are playing. This has happened in campaign and MP.

Secondly, they seem to have fucked up with the soundtrack mix. Listening to it on spotify or whatever it is amazing, but you barely hear it in the game. It's like the triggers based on encounters are bugged and it forgets to play it. Only a couple of times in the whole game did it seem to come in at the right time and loud enough to add something.

Ken

I really want the pulse armor. Can anybody let me know if I'll be able to buy it later?

They have said you will be able to acquire all the preorder skins in some as of yet undisclosed ways later.

Also you can get the armor through playing the game right now if that's what you want. The skin itself is preorder exclusive.

Sometimes on BTB too many snipers end up on the map. Had a match on Vortex where 3 guys ended up camping by some rocks all with snipers for most the game. At the same time though, weapons disappear way too fast. You kill someone with a power weapon across the map and by time you get to them the gun has disappeared.

this guy probably plays with fishstick. praising reaches multiplayer, who are you?

1. halo2
2. 1
3. 4
4. 3
5. odst
6. wars
7. anime
8. reach

Taking MP into account here is my list:

1. Halo 2
1. Halo CE
3. Halo 4
4. ODST
5. Halo Reach
6. Halo 3

I just thought that Halo 3 was a terrible terrible multiplayer experience...

Also BR > DMR.

LordAlu

Does anyone think the grenades are a little weak in multiplayer?
Actually they appear about right to me; they're powerful enough to take off an opponent's shields and have a good enough radius. My only problem is actually with the grenade indicator, which is vague. It does not discern about whether the grenade is behind you/under you/in front of you, but it also does not give you an idea of its distance. It's essentially "there's a grenade around here" which really isn't useful for judging how to act as you're unsure where the grenade may have landed.

Victrix

*beard*
Weak? No way, the grenade perks make them a royal pain in the ass. With Resupply and Explosives you can spam enhanced blast radius grenades all day long. Not to mention reducing incoming grenade damage :|

And yeah I'm not a fan of the grenade indicator either. I'm assuming I'll get used to it eventually, but right now I still occasionally misinterpret the direction, which gets me killed.

Shadders

Actually they appear about right to me; they're powerful enough to take off an opponent's shields and have a good enough radius. My only problem is actually with the grenade indicator, which is vague. It does not discern about whether the grenade is behind you/under you/in front of you, but it also does not give you an idea of its distance. It's essentially "there's a grenade around here" which really isn't useful for judging how to act as you're unsure where the grenade may have landed.

I'd tend to agree, the indicator appears when you're outside of the splash zone of the 'nade, but doesn't change at all when you're closer to it. Could do with a colour change dependant on how close to the grenade you are.

Yager

Banned
Just unlocked all the terminals and watched them. They are pretty awesome and tell a lot of backstory about
the Didact and Librarian, as well as the war between humans-Forerunners
. I think that most of the stuff they explain in there should be in the campaing and not in terminals, but anyway, a must watch.

Yeah, I realized this today and had a huge issue with it. I found myself moving away from grenades and getting needlessly flushed out by poorly thrown grenades that I would've never tried to get away from because they would've done no damage.

I hope there's a way to fix this somehow, it seems like a reward to players with poor nade placement who have no business getting said reward.

Ken

Weak? No way, the grenade perks make them a royal pain in the ass. With Resupply and Explosives you can spam enhanced blast radius grenades all day long. Not to mention reducing incoming grenade damage :|

And yeah I'm not a fan of the grenade indicator either. I'm assuming I'll get used to it eventually, but right now I still occasionally misinterpret the direction, which gets me killed.

Sounds like fun. Will be that guy tomorrow.

Victrix

*beard*
But Resupply and Explosives are in the same perk slot, no?

No :|

And in fact Resupply and Grenadier share the same slot, while Explosives is in the other, so you can choose between increased grenade spam on spawn, or infinite grenade spam from bodies, have fun!

U2NUMB

After loving the game the first 24 hours last night was about as bad as online could get for me. I am really starting to hate the DMR as it pretty much is a mini sniper so every map you are a target from a mile away.

Hoping it was just one bad night but I may just play flood from now on if this is how it is going to be.

ced

Maybe I'm jaded but I'm not really feeling the campaign in this one. It's good, and it's got the core Halo combat and feel, but it seems really linear and small in scale. I'm up to chap 7 and the only mission I really felt was up to standards was the Mammoth one. It's not bad in any way, just from my memory doesn't live up to 1, 3 and Reach.

I'm going to replay Reach after finishing it and see how I feel then.

DMR is a little too beastly but it's still early days, I like the BR on some maps and currently messing around with light rifle, which is ok but feels really slow when scoped.

With the weapon drops you earn I would suggest that removing the rocket superweapons and maybe the sniper from it, they are fun to use but should be map spawn pick ups.

LordAlu

After loving the game the first 24 hours last night was about as bad as online could get for me. I am really starting to hate the DMR as it pretty much is a mini sniper so every map you are a target from a mile away.

Hoping it was just one bad night but I may just play flood from now on if this is how it is going to be.
My on-line experience has been relatively good, and whilst the DMR works very well at long range, I often get beaten out by the BR in closer encounters. I think the only real imbalances I've come across so far are in maps, such as Ragnarok. The addition of Mechs has lead to even objective games just becoming an exercise in improving everyone's K/D ratios, and the removal of the ramps at the front of bases means having to go round the back meaning even a semi-competent team will just have someone with a power weapon round there to take our anyone coming around.

However it is the first week and there are bound to be imbalances in the maps, which I'm sure will be sorted out over time - remember the tanks on Valhalla in Halo 3? :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This tank section is complete shit. Tedious, static design that is at odds with everything else I've played in the game to this point.

Completed it on Heroic last night, really thrilled with what 343 delivered - other than a few minor nitpicks, it was phenomenal, really fantastic - may well even eclipse Halo CE as my favourite campaign, but that will depend on how it holds up with repeated run throughs.

Pros:-
+ Nailed the Halo gameplay, whilst simultaneously bringing in some 'freshness'
+ Really brought back that 'alien' feeling of mystery and exploration/discovery that I have felt 2,3 and Reach didn't have.
+ It looks utterly fantastic; I don't care about the tech side, but on my 37in Sharp Aquos, it's easily the best looking game I've ever played. I must have spent 5 minutes just looking at the Forerunner structures coming out into the light for the 1st time on Requiem. Amazing.
+ Really enjoyed fighting the Prometheans, had to change up my strategy a lot. Gutsink feeling when you miss a Watcher and it revives a Knight! Looking forward to the Legendary challenge!
+ Soundtrack was sublime, really heped bring some freshness whilst some nice cues to Marty's old themes. Some of the best parts in-game aren't on the OST from what I could see though.
+ Audio on the whole was great, Scorpion packs a hefty wallop!
+ I don't know what game people complaining about small levels weher playing, but I never once felt like I was been boxed in - in some cases the levels felt daunting due to their size.
+ Narrative was a lot more focussed than previous games, but as I've read all the books maybe I'm at an advantage; however this is related to some of my nitpicks, as it could have been better IMO
+
really felt quite sad at the end with Cortana seemingly gone and the Chief upset. Wonder if she's really gone.
+ Hunters were fearsome beasts again! Loved the few encounters. However this raises a point , see a nitpick...

Nitpicks
- Don't like QTEs, the are SO INTRUSIVE and break the immersion. Please 343 I know there were only a few, but ditch them next time. I Know it likely comes as a compromise of trying to push the story and have cinematic moments, but there HAS to be a better way. The ending was godd but could have been so much better without the QTEs. They are a cop=out IMO.
- I appreciate that the Terminal contents are likely on Waypoint due to disc space, but they should be in game, or at least have some text in game. Whilst the narrative in Halo 4 is a lot tighter, it could still be much more cohesive by use of audio logs, txt logs etc; the Terminals are a great concept, just think the execution was flawed. E.g. John 117s service record? this was done really well and didn't take you out of the game, why couldn't the other terminals be done the same way?
- Other than the Knights with a Binary Rifle (which were tense) the Prometheans were lacking something... 'scary' for want of a better word a la Hunters; would like to have seen some more aggressive Knight variations, or maybe a different type of Promethean with different capabilities (Spec-Ops style cloaking etc). I guess that will come in Halo 5 and 6...
- Considering how great the rest of the audio is, the Warthog is an odd one, needs a patch! Agree with other detractors.

Maybe I'm jaded but I'm not really feeling the campaign in this one. It's good, and it's got the core Halo combat and feel, but it seems really linear and small in scale. I'm up to chap 7 and the only mission I really felt was up to standards was the Mammoth one. It's not bad in any way, just from my memory doesn't live up to 1, 3 and Reach.

As always, YMMV, but having just played right through CE, 2 & 3 just before 4 as prep, I didn't find anything small about Halo 4 at all, quite on the contrary I'd love to hear from the designer's in terms of level size, but there are some missions/levels in 4 that seemed at least as big if not bigger to me than anything I'd just recently played through. Infinity & Shutdown both had some pretty sprawling battlefields with tons of strategy options. Of course, there are also people that say that Halo 3 and Reach look better than 4, and if it wasn't a subjective thing I would think that they had eye-problems, because on my TV certainly it's like night & day from a looks perspective.

On the whole I really loved it and can't wait to run through it again on Legendary; though I might try Spartan Ops first.

MrBig

Hey, how does the Light Rifle compares with the BR on close ranges?

Better than both the DMR and the BR. It has the burst fire effect of a BR, allowing it to effectively do bleed damage, and the accuracy/precision of a DMR. That coupled with the 4hk when scoped makes it the best rifle in any situation imo.

Gibbo

Anyone here getting save game issues for Single Player? I swear i must have reached chapter 5/6 yesterday, called it and night, and exited the game via save & quit. When i started up my game this evening, my last saved game was for chapter 3. WTF?

How is it possible people believe Halo 2's multi was the best of the franchise? Big fans of circle strafing while duel wielding? Because that's all I remember from that game myself.

Oh, and the weak campaign to boot.

I think the best proof of just how weak that multi was is the blatant minimizing of dual wielding in subsequent Halo games. They realized emphasizing that was a mistake, as it broke exactly what was great about Halo's combat design. I'm thrilled it's been pushed into the background these days.

ironcreed

Banned

I love playing with the DMR, but hate getting killed by it, lol. Dipped into multiplayer last night and was getting my ass handed to me by DMR kills as well, but I think a good deal of the problem was not knowing the maps and trying to settle in to the Halo multiplayer flow again. I'm quite rusty, but it will not kill my enjoyment. The game is amazing through and through.

Better than both the DMR and the BR. It has the burst fire effect of a BR, allowing it to effectively do bleed damage, and the accuracy/precision of a DMR. That coupled with the 4hk when scoped makes it the best rifle in any situation imo.

feels a lot slower then the DMR to fire which is what I find bad about it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Man, Big Slayer and Dominion are so fun. The last two days I've had more fun with Halo 4 than I had with Halo 3 and Reach combined.

Halo 3 was the best multiplayer for me but halo 2 was just as amazing since it was my first xbox live game and it had some great maps

Bleh I'm awful at flood now when I was good on release :( , maybe it's the bigger level I played but it's still fun.

Love this game. So much.

However, one thing that's bugging me is the playlist options in multiplayer. I miss the variety that was in 3 :(

How is it possible people believe Halo 2's multi was the best of the franchise? Big fans of circle strafing while duel wielding? Because that's all I remember from that game myself.

That's not how I remember it. Battlerifle, plasma pistol combo was what I remember. I preferred Halo 3 MP but I have fond memories of Halo 2 just because of the large group of people I played with back then.

Mr. Sam

About to hop on to play some multiplayer if anybody wants a largely ineffective human shield (though I'm starting to get my groove back and am finally getting back into the habit of positive K/D ratios and kill streaks). Gamer tag: Professor Sam.

RS4-

Wow wtf, on the campaign mission where you have the ghost to escape. It wouldn't boost, so I can't make the jump.

I have no choice but to restart the whole damn mission.

harrytang

doesnt make sense when people back out into lobby not to rearrange teams. played a lot where teams started out 4 v 2. I know people join mid game now, which i blessing and i curse i suppose, but its tough being 2 down and boring being 2 up.

some guy yelled at me for under performing when i joined the game with one min left. other than that im loving this shit so much. only have a few hours after work each night and they go so fast.

Top Bottom