• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

How is it possible people believe Halo 2's multi was the best of the franchise? Big fans of circle strafing while duel wielding? Because that's all I remember from that game myself.

Oh, and the weak campaign to boot.

I think the best proof of just how weak that multi was is the blatant minimizing of dual wielding in subsequent Halo games. They realized emphasizing that was a mistake, as it broke exactly what was great about Halo's combat design. I'm thrilled it's been pushed into the background these days.

Halo 3 had the best gameplay and Halo 2 had the best maps. Halo 2 MP had its flaws but it was still incredibly fun to play.

ultron87

It makes me sad that they had a chance to make a whole new set of weapons with the Promethean gear and pretty much just went for slightly different variations on the Assault Rifle, Shotgun, BR/DMR, Sniper, and Rocket Launcher. There isn't even one random weird weapon like the Needler or something.

I do love the visual design on all those guns though.

Blader

Started playing this last night. Haven't gotten very far, but it absolutely LOOKS amazing; I'm beyond impressed with how much better this looks than 3 or Reach (which we're great looking games in their own right) and that the 360 can still produce something that looks like this despite its age.

Yager

Banned
That's not how I remember it. Battlerifle, plasma pistol combo was what I remember. I preferred Halo 3 MP but I have fond memories of Halo 2 just because of the large group of people I played with back then.

Exactly this. Also, it had some of the best MP maps in the franchise.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Halo 3 had the best gameplay and Halo 2 had the best maps. Halo 2 MP had its flaws but it was still incredibly fun to play.

I would agree that halo2 had the best maps, it isn't even close. But I couldn't play Halo 3 MP. I played just shy of 5k halo2 games online but only like 3-400 H3 games. It was a combo of the maps and the armor ability that ruined it for me.

Victrix

*beard*
From what I've seen, killtimes are:

LR Scoped, Carbine, BR/DMR, LR Unscoped

However, that assumes perfect accuracy, something I find much easier with the BR/DMR in most engagements.

At very long ranges, the LR seems flatly superior, but that's only true on a few maps, and it's considerably worse up close.

The Carbine also works well only when there is a clear LoS to your target for most of your engagements - it is great in those situations though, it's sort of the 'automatic' weapon of the precision guns, allowing you to spam the hell out of shots and down targets quickly even if your aim is off for a shot or two.

I'm still pretty fuzzy on the distinction between the DMR and BR. In theory the BR has some spread that makes for easier hits closer and more misses longer, but frankly I haven't noticed misses at anything but extreme ranges, and I can't tell the difference between the BR and the DMR at close medium to close range.

The Carbine works especially well as a cleanup weapon if you're playing with friends, as it is both accurate and has the highest rate of fire of the semi-autos, letting you take down a damaged target very quickly.

Conversely, the Carbine is much worse on maps with lots of cover, as you can't get the number of shots needed on target to score kills. The LR is actually better in those situations at range, as it can strip shields in three shots while scoped, making each of those jumping long range between cover shots count more, but it pays for that strength up close.

Long story short: The LR and the Carbine are worth using for certain mode/map combinations, but otherwise, it still feels like the DMR/BR will be the most popular and most usable in the widest variety of engagements.

I'm still experimenting with the weapons, and efficiency aside, I find that I enjoy using the Carbine and find the LR frustrating. I'm also tired of hearing endless DMR/BR shots because it feels like thats 90% of the killcams I see :V

legacyzero

Banned
Multiplayer is soooo much better than Reach so far.

My two complaints are that mounted weapons need a buff, and A FUCKING KILLCAM?! REALLY?? its worse than Crysis 2 and 3.

So I still haven't posted many impressions, but here's whats formulating in my mind.

Story= Really good when good, but a little lacking at times. Still far exceeds Bungie Halos, and its best moments are really really good. MC + Cortana really shine here.

Covenant= Fun, but a little lacking at times.. can't really say how or why, but they feel a little toned back.

Prometheans= Cool. Not as good as the best of the covenant though. They aren't bad, but they are a bit lacking in variety and behaviors. They don't hit the highlight of the different Covie species working together IMO and could use another 'species' or two in their mix.

Visuals= Amazing.

SP= Needed more variety(less button pushing/punching), felt pretty safe at times, like they were going down a checklist. Still damned fun, but it could have been better.

Spartan Ops= Cool idea, solid start. Im excited to see where it goes.. I still hope it has a little more oomph in later episodes, both in story and gameplay. (Firefight should still exist as another mode alongside Spartan Ops IMO)

MP= Super freaking fun

I would agree that halo2 had the best maps, it isn't even close. But I couldn't play Halo 3 MP. I played just shy of 5k halo2 games online but only like 3-400 H3 games. It was a combo of the maps and the armor ability that ruined it for me.

halo 3 did not have armour abilities, that was reach.

dc89

Do you ever unlock weapon skins?

Well I've just played on a map with snow and I'm pretty sure I've just had a BR with arctic camo on it. I picked it up off the floor.

Also that map:

kr68ql.jpg

Dat sky box. Sorry for phone pic though.

Dynamic3

Well I've just played on a map with snow and I'm pretty sure I've just had a BR with arctic camo on it. I picked it up off the floor.

Also that map:

kr68ql.jpg

Dat sky box. Sorry for phone pic though.

I love that map, but why do the trees have no snow on them? The bright green trees look so out of place.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love that map, but why do the trees have no snow on them? The bright green trees look so out of place.

Evergreen! :p

Can anyone explain more about the extra stuff you get when you hit 50 online? i'm not quite sure how or what it is exactly.

Specializations? Basically you pick one when you hit 50 and they are all based around things you may be good at in game. Driving, sniping etc. Once you pick one you get 10 extra levels, and over those levels you unlock a specific armor set and some perks geared towards whatever specialization you picked. Once done with those 10 levels you can pick another one to do.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Really want to see the matchmaking improve, and fast.
I was hoping that join in progress would allow the game to perform more like CoD and actually find other Australians (help keep the small local population together), but so far it is just as miserable as 3 and Reach. Feels like lag kills this game even more than 3, but I may just be remembering things that way.

Arnie

I'm still pretty fuzzy on the distinction between the DMR and BR. In theory the BR has some spread that makes for easier hits closer and more misses longer, but frankly I haven't noticed misses at anything but extreme ranges, and I can't tell the difference between the BR and the DMR at close medium to close range.

DMR is flat out superior to the BR in nearly all situations, assuming you're accurate. Which is a shame, because I find the BR's handling to be far more enjoyable to use, which soon disappears when you're being donged by DMR users left, right, and centre.

daedalius

DMR is flat out superior to the BR in nearly all situations, assuming you're accurate. Which is a shame, because I find the BR's handling to be far more enjoyable to use, which soon disappears when you're being donged by DMR users left, right, and centre.

Must have found different DMR users than me.

Finished legendary campaign; probably my favorite one so far.

Heroic was far too easy comparatively.

So far, the Killcam seems like the strangest addition.

It was added to CoD because it only takes a few bullets to down you and they can come from anywhere with any weapon, so the Killcam was necessary to show you what you did wrong.

In Halo, part of the design from the beginning was that the weapons were unique looking and sounding, and with bullet trails it was always clear what killed you and where you messed up that lead to that.

Killcams don't really take anything away from the game, but they're the one addition that seems like they were added just because CoD has them and not because they would fit well in a Halo game.

Can anyone explain more about the extra stuff you get when you hit 50 online? i'm not quite sure how or what it is exactly.

My understanding is once you unlock them you pick one of the Specialations which boost you in certain areas and then you take that Specialization from 1-50 like you did with SR1-SR50. Thats my understanding, now is the part where someone tells me I am completely wrong.

**EDIT: Well I wasnt 100% wrong but I urge you take a peek at Deadly Cyclone's reply above because that is correct Im pretty sure.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Must have found different DMR users than me.

Finished legendary campaign; probably my favorite one so far.

Heroic was far too easy comparatively.

How was Legendary? I'm making my way through on Heroic and am doing well. Only died about 20 times or so. I'm worried about trying Legendary though. Those Knights are bullet sponges.

How is it possible people believe Halo 2's multi was the best of the franchise? Big fans of circle strafing while duel wielding? Because that's all I remember from that game myself.

I think the best proof of just how weak that multi was is the blatant minimizing of dual wielding in subsequent Halo games. They realized emphasizing that was a mistake, as it broke exactly what was great about Halo's combat design. I'm thrilled it's been pushed into the background these days.

lol, seems like you're a fairweather halo "fan", if you are one. Halo 2 has the best maps by far. You never played at high levels, or you would see how it was all about BR, zone defense, and timed weapon respawns. Halo 2 had dual wielding, but it was balanced unlike this turd. Can't wait for the honeymoon period to end for many.

Victrix

*beard*

Is the RoF actually different? It would make sense to have the BR be slightly faster but less accurate, but if not... why use the BR ever? Body shot damage?

Finding this info is proving tricky, the Halo community seems less stats oriented than the CoD folks :O

daedalius

How was Legendary? I'm making my way through on Heroic and am doing well. Only died about 20 times or so. I'm worried about trying Legendary though. Those Knights are bullet sponges.

Well, the knights are damn tough, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

But really they don't take a terrible amount of shots; the normal knights anyway. For the ones with Incineration Cannons, I'd suggest having a backup plan rather than just LRing them down.

For the final level I was pretty fond of putting one shot of binary rifle into them, then a couple more LR shots to break their shield, then follow up with a headshot.

Is the RoF actually different? It would make sense to have the BR be slightly faster but less accurate, but if not... why use the BR ever? Body shot damage?
I find it far easier to hit anything with the BR. It feels like DMR has no magnetism on it at all and it's impossible for me to hit anyone.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Damn I bought a big bag of doritos last night to get some double xp. Got home, emptied out the bag to look for the code.

Code is on the outside. Went to redeem online and it's already been used.

fuck. do cats eat doritos?

abadguy

Banned

It was added to CoD because it only takes a few bullets to down you and they can come from anywhere with any weapon, so the Killcam was necessary to show you what you did wrong.

In Halo, part of the design from the beginning was that the weapons were unique looking and sounding, and with bullet trails it was always clear what killed you and where you messed up that lead to that.

Killcams don't really take anything away from the game, but they're the one addition that seems like they were added just because CoD has them and not because they would fit well in a Halo game.

About the killcam, i played MP all day yesterday( mostly btb) the killcam happend in maybe 3 matches. Then it never happened again for the rest of the night.

This, I started off with BR with memories of its insane power back in halo 3. But I started to get flat-out outshot by DMR users even when I got first shot and hit every round.

WJD

Depressingly, this. I really wanted to have the BR as my primary weapon but in the majority of situations I find myself going for the DMR.

Sissel

If you were dual wielding you probably weren't very good at the game. ;P

Depressingly, this. I really wanted to have the BR as my primary weapon but in the majority of situations I find myself going for the DMR.

They need to either speed up the br rate of fire, or make it 4 shot and slightly slow the rate of fire. I'd say the first would be better.

Falagard

I really like the kill cam. I find myself watching it all the time to figure out wtf happened. Especially if I'm 1 on 1 with one guy and get hit from a side that I didn't notice. Helps you learn the maps faster, what to watch out for. Also with some of the new weapons I don't know what killed me, especially in the first couple days of playing when you're still learning.

It's a great addition.

It's hard for me to articulate. All I know is I played Halo 2 for probably 2 straight years. Halo 3 I was bored with within a month. I know a big part of it is the maps. 2's maps are God-tier, and none of the maps in 3 came close. But perhaps a bigger factor is I was able to play with more of my friends more often with Halo 2.

Sissel

I really like the kill cam. I find myself watching it all the time to figure out wtf happened. Especially if I'm 1 on 1 with one guy and get hit from a side that I didn't notice. Helps you learn the maps faster, what to watch out for. Also with some of the new weapons I don't know what killed me, especially in the first couple days of playing when you're still learning.

It's a great addition.
I guess that's good at first, when you are learning the game, but it's really more important to know what happens AFTER you died (opponent picked up your power weapon, opponent stayed or moved from position, etc.)

Victrix

*beard*
I guess that's good at first, when you are learning the game, but it's really more important to know what happens AFTER you died (opponent picked up your power weapon, opponent stayed or moved from position, etc.)

Push button, cancel killcam?

ced

Not to be a dick but this game would be a great opportunity to have an OT for campaign discussions and an OT for MP. MP is obviously more popular and it's difficult to keep up campaign discussions.

So, top of Chapter 2 I was pretty bored by the campaign.
Standard Halo stuff, standard Halo environments, I was missing my Siren powers and gun variety (lol). Then when the Prothean stuff started, the environments and weapons just took it to another level. So amazing now.

I think the beginning of Chapter 2 will be looked back on as the Marcellus/Butch conversation of Halo 4. Totally unnecessary, too long, boring, and ultimately distracting of the radness that surrounds it on either side.

Shady859

Having fun but I suck, approx 275/400/125, I haven't played alot since Halo 2. Some 3 and Reach but I a CoD and BF guy. I see most people using the BR or DMR, I kinda like the covenant gun as it seems to stay on target more for me.

This game need ADS soooo back I hate the zoom effects. Getting used to it but the time window versus CoD release is poison to me.

The real question is when are we getting a SWAT playlist? I feel like SWAT was standard from the beginning of the more recent games, but I could be wrong.

Sissel

Having fun but I suck, approx 275/400/125, I haven't played alot since Halo 2. Some 3 and Reach but I a CoD and BF guy. I see most people using the BR or DMR, I kinda like the covenant gun as it seems to stay on target more for me.

This game need ADS soooo back I hate the zoom effects. Getting used to it but the time window versus CoD release is poison to me.
just remember that your gun is just as accurate while zoomed out as it is zoomed in. You should only be zooming in when the target is really far.

Just starting the 4th mission now and there's been more emotion between the Chief and Cortana than the rest of the Halo games combined.

Bravo, 343, bravo.

Mik2121

Man... just bought the game today, played through half of the campaign (all in Japanese because I live in JP...) and was like, hey whatever it's kinda shitty but at least the multiplayer will have the awesome English announcer voice like Halo 3, ODST and Reach, right?

Well no, they now have even translated the multiplayer announcer and it's hilariously bad. Like, I don't even wanna play because of it -bad. Seriously takes me out of the mood with the wacky voice...

I guess the chances of 343i releasing some downloadable stuff to get the English announcer are close to none, huh?... I'm seriously confused as to why they decided to translate this for Halo 4 when they didn't do it for any of the other Halo games... :(

TheOddOne

The real question is when are we getting a SWAT playlist? I feel like SWAT was standard from the beginning of the more recent games, but I could be wrong
The MP designer said it should come down the line, seeing as next month the first map pack is releasing expect it then.

Top Bottom