• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy crap - The Ammo Support Upgrade is god-tier.

Rocket Launchers on the ground hold 8 rockets for you. You NEVER run out of DMR ammo (you start with 56 bullets instead of 42, and you have a max of 84.) The Fuel Rod Cannon is a monster when it's fully loaded. And on and on and on...
Hmm... I wouldn't want to roll with Ammo all the time, but I think I'll put it on one of my loadouts. That way, if I earn an ordnance drop with a decent power weapon, I'll wait until I die, select the loadout with Ammo, call in my drop, profit.

subrock

So finally got around to starting a legendary run last night with two buddies. The first few missions were God Tier co-op: We all organically defined our roles, acquired various weapons and armor abilities and knew how best to use them, as a team, to overcome our enemies. Short of a few encounters (like first facing an area with banshees and ghosts out to kill you among other things), we were a rolling thunder of destruction and (god damned gorgeous) good times.

That was, until we reached the mission that never fails to suck all the oxygen out of the room and leave us disappointed and frustrated: Reclaimer.

SMH. SMH. SMH.

Moving on...

Edit: Had the mission named wrong. D'oh. Thanks for the correction.

I did this on my solo legendary run my making a mad dash for the gauss hog and drove it inside the tank thing and let the AI gunner take pot shots at the ghosts through the doorways.

Hmm... I wouldn't want to roll with Ammo all the time, but I think I'll put it on one of my loadouts. That way, if I earn an ordnance drop with a decent power weapon, I'll wait until I die, select the loadout with Ammo, call in my drop, profit.

totally going to do the same now

So after editing a gametype to make it be like Tribes, I've discovered a few things I hope they add when changing a gametype.

- Be able to change what each loadout's base traits are separately

- Be able to have multiple specializations and tactical packages per loadout

- Be able to change the amount of armor ability usage by percentage eg. Disabled, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, 125% etc.

Louis Wu

I hear it gives you 12 Snipe bullets which on paper doesn't sound like such a large increase, but I know players who swear by it. I guess those 4 extra bullets allow them to keep sniping until the next Snipe ordnance comes in.

Tempted to give it a try but Dexterity, Awareness, Stability and Explosives all seem like strong support upgrades. Tough to choose extra ammo when I can choose to make my guns more accurate or make my nades stronger.

I think most of all I just dont like the way different players load out with different advantages.
I completely don't understand this post.

The first two paragraphs...

Yup, totally get those.

The last paragraph... makes no sense whatsoever to me. You recognize the usefulness of an asset, you suggest that it's not enough for you to switch away from what you're already using... and then you are unhappy we're not all playing with the same toys. :(

I can understand the attitude of 'it's not fair when they get toys I can't have yet'... but I totally don't get 'I don't want to play with their toys, but I also don't want THEM to play with their toys.'

So after editing a gametype to make it be like Tribes, I've discovered a few things I hope they add when changing a gametype.

- Be able to change what each loadout's base traits are separately

- Be able to have multiple specializations and tactical packages per loadout

- Be able to change the amount of armor ability usage by percentage eg. Disabled, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, 125% etc.

Fun fact: you can still get 5 unique base player traits, which happens to be exactly the number of loadouts available, though it can be difficult to get everyone to comply. Basically, what you have to do is:

-Create your ideal settings per 5 loadouts, and apply 4 of them to the Player Trait Zone settings on the map

-Make the 5th loadout's traits the Base Player Traits

-Go into the map and spawn enough player trait zones to cover the entire playable area. Repeat this three times, which should be simple since you can just make everything 100.9 by 100.9 by 100.9.

-Go into the individual Player Trait Zone settings and change them to Defender, Attacker, Team 3, and Team 4. Make sure each of those four teams has trait zones covering the whole playspace.

-Make it a team game, modifying where necessary for kill points, etc.

-Just have Loadout 1 correspond to Red, Loadout 2 be Blue, 3 Team 3, 4 Team 4, and 5 be Base Player Traits (so teams 5-8).

Complicated, but it's the only solution we have so far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's quite enjoyable to EMP and board, I admit.
I always seem to have trouble boarding it. I'll EMP it, walk RIGHT up to it, and the prompt won't come up half the time, or it will be finnicky. Are there specific directions you can only board it from or what?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Man the FXAA (that's what it is right?) in this game is bad looking. Looks fine when you stand absolutely still but any movement and suddenly temporal aliasing everywhere.

Mantis blows, I don't know what you guys see in it.

The ordinance drops blow too. I went up against a team tonight that got hot and at least 3 of them had saws. Nobody wears mics in the game anymore, they teams are all lone wolves. They wanted the CoD player, they got it.

Don't give me that play with friends crap either, this time around Halo 3 launch and everyone was mic'd all the time.

Naked Lunch

Why cant developers make good maps anymore? Halo 3's and maybe even Reach's shitty set takes a huge dump on H4's maps. Also, H4's objective modes suck. Bring back classic CTF rules, assault, and 1 flag CTF. What the hell ever happened to invasion too? Probabaly the best (only) good thing about Reach MP.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh gaf

Your so cool. Not liking things that people like.

Sorry have to run, you'll have to tell me about your secret best Brooklyn band later
Inferring that people are elitist hipsters when in actuality they have reasoned and well expounded critiques makes you sound pretty dense.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
How the hell are people even good with the mantis, lol. I blow with it, and against it it's usually just a nuisance, not a pressing threat.

you can't rush in at all because you die so fast. It's effective on Ragnarok if you hide behind the hills and just pop out. Also you will rack up kills on people who go rambo and rush you. The warthog and ghosts are also easy kills.

The Plasma Pistol is a loadout weapon, anyone complaining about any vehicle being overpowered just sucks. Take the damn initiative and take it out yourself.

Why cant developers make good maps anymore? Halo 3's and maybe even Reach's shitty set takes a huge dump on H4's maps. Also, H4's objective modes suck. Bring back classic CTF rules, assault, and 1 flag CTF. What the hell ever happened to invasion too? Probabaly the best (only) good thing about Reach MP.

Firefight was great.

equil

3 had good maps, but 4's maps are loads better than the launch maps that reach had.

So I got the LE. Somebody said I need to log in to get my load outs or some shit? I'm not playing multiplayer till I bet campaign but should I just do a quick game for the unlock?

pakkit

Banned
∀ Narayan;44503192 said:
It's truly a shame that the female model has no ass whatsoever. The female in Reach is way better, in my opinion.

I disagree, she doesn't have scoliosis and runs more like a normal human being.

FyreWulff

I'm still surprised we didn't get Lost Platoon as Firefight DLC.

Also, we had Crater's geometry in the game, but I guess it wasn't destined to become an actual FF map.

abadguy

Banned

Haven alone shits on every Reach map from a great height.

Hell nah I love that thing. It's what halo 4 has over blops 2 (among other things)

RIP

images

images

Can't wait for their return in Halo 5 :D
:'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''[

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
How the hell are people even good with the mantis, lol. I blow with it, and against it it's usually just a nuisance, not a pressing threat.

Pretty much have to roll with teammates (hopefully the'll be mindful enough to get anybody trying to run up on ya) and avoid open areas. Certain pockets of Ragnarok just destroy because idiots keep running at it.

subrock

I'm really enjoying regicide but how in the living fuck are you supposed to get 18 regicides in one match?

a minimum of 15 points per regicide. 300 and you win. That means you have to lose the crown and kill the king every single time and that will put you at 270. jesus.

edit: oh weird, I just got the challenge. looks like it was a typo and you only need 8.

I'm really enjoying regicide but how in the living fuck are you supposed to get 18 regicides in one match?

a minimum of 15 points per regicide. 300 and you win. That means you have to lose the crown and kill the king every single time and that will put you at 270. jesus.

edit: oh weird, I just got the challenge. looks like it was a typo and you only need 8.

Yeah, the whole challenge is glitched. I got the challenge because the regicide count randomly carried over through 2 matches. So I got 10 in one and 8 in the other.

pakkit

Banned
Yeah, the whole challenge is glitched. I got the challenge because the regicide count randomly carried over through 2 matches. So I got 10 in one and 8 in the other.

It's not glitched you have to get 18 kills, either killing the king or getting kills as the king. So it's not quite as difficult as it sounds.

Has there been any talk at all of a custom game or forge game browser in the works? Any at all?

It's the single most infuriating thing about the series for me.

tch

Oh I see. I suppose it only seemed glitched because the challenge progress bar started at 10/18 at the beginning of the match.

It's definitely somewhat glitched. The bar kept resetting for me then I got the challenge randomly, and now it's been going back and forth between completed and not completed. I'm sick of all these regicide challenges regardless.

Beat a team of two guys today who were walking around together as a team not shooting each other and were both 50-something's. pretty satisfying

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just beat it solo on Legendary. My second run through really solidified how much I enjoyed this campaign. Wasn't as open-ended as the previous Halos so I can see validity in those complaints. Regardless, I had a bunch of fun and though the story line was solid (especially after watching the Terminal videos) Second playthrough made me think of some things too..

Edit - Ragnarok and the Mantis still suck, though. I enjoy every other map except that shit.

Pooya

custom games should have server browser style mode really :|

I suppose it would require dedicated servers, which I'm all for.

not really. On PC games you can just host a game yourself and it shows up on server browser, just like a dedicated server does, of course latency isn't as good as a server but it works. Ancient Halo CE PC works like that. I think it should be easily possible but xbox live never had something like that I think.

I completely don't understand this post.

The first two paragraphs...

Yup, totally get those.

The last paragraph... makes no sense whatsoever to me. You recognize the usefulness of an asset, you suggest that it's not enough for you to switch away from what you're already using... and then you are unhappy we're not all playing with the same toys. :(

I can understand the attitude of 'it's not fair when they get toys I can't have yet'... but I totally don't get 'I don't want to play with their toys, but I also don't want THEM to play with their toys.'

I am talking from a balance point of view more than anything.

Imagine we are playing on ragnarok against eachother, I know you have sniper, so I wait until you use 8 bullets and then take you on long range, only to get Sniped in the head.

Or later I try and sneak up on you, but by that time you have picked awareness and see me coming.

Or later when I throw a nade at you which you think you are clear of but thanks to my explosives kills you.

The problem is the system isn't well telegraphed, I have no way of knowing what perk you are using, even after you kill me using it, it's all very masked by the general flow of the game but certainly comes into effect.

So yeah I don't want everyone to have different toys, it leads to situational advantages which come from choices in a menu rather than from manoeuvres in game. Give everyone the most balanced toys and let them play eachother on a even battlefield.

I understand the usefulness of an asset, I just wish that whole system didn't exist.

Top Bottom