• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
2. is something you can do on purpose, I assume you were playing with a team and they all mentioned not intending to do it? Haven't had that one.

Yes, I know you can switch load outs :) What happened was that between spawns the load outs changed.

On that map, one team spawns near two objectives, another team spawns near one. It's an uphill battle.

Hmm, guess I hadn't realized that. Which two are they close to? I haven't played it much but I thought the bases were the middle, the building, and the one in the cave like area. It seemed like one team spawned by the building and one by the cave and both teams had cannons to other spots? I may just be confused, I really haven't played this map enough. This and Vortex seem to be my least played maps.

i have never used jetpack on that map and do very well. The top middle area is a good vantage point, but it's also a killzone...you can get naded to hell up there and shot at from multiple directions. I feel that i can hang back in the trees or on the beach and pick people off just fine. The fact that it is an area that is somewhat fought for reminds me of older Halo maps.

You're kind of proving my point though. Really the only spots on the map viable at all are the beach or top lift. The edge with the trees is a horrible spot unless you go closer by the beach same with the other side of the map with the stairs. That may work for FFA, but in a team game if a teammate calls something out like a weak player you can do nothing about it unless you are in one of those two spots. If you have jetpack you can help this a little bit, but it makes you a huge target. It also sucks as it's pretty much the only way to fix the issue.

With something like KotH or Oddball it's less noticable because there is a moving target to head to on the map, but outside of that the map just doesn't work for team based games. With slayer it just becomes an individual skill based game like FFA. If you play more of the lone wolf type play style this could all work great for you, I just usually want to play team based gametypes to play as a team and this map sort of counteracts that.

REV 09

You're kind of proving my point though. Really the only spots on the map viable at all are the beach or top lift. The edge with the trees is a horrible spot unless you go closer by the beach same with the other side of the map with the stairs. That may work for FFA, but in a team game if a teammate calls something out like a weak player you can do nothing about it unless you are in one of those two spots. If you have jetpack you can help this a little bit, but it makes you a huge target. It also sucks as it's pretty much the only way to fix the issue.

So your issue is that you can't shoot everyone from multiple spots of the map? i see why you like complex now. you must really hate Adrift then...that map is very closed off.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the deal on the last waypoint classified code that says you have to beat three spartan ops episodes and the code expires tomorrow. Anyone have more info on this?

The code goes live tomorrow, not expires.

Edit: beaten by griz and Karl and others who explained my point far better than I could. Temped to delete my below post lol.

my old post:
lol - If you're
Playing BTB (or even REGULAR slayer) on Ragnarok, and you're in a position to count every single bullet I fire from my sniper... you're doing it wrong. ;)

Your absolutely right, BTB is too chaotic to count bullets, but on king of the hill, ctf or slayer it's possible all it takes are call outs and a bit of knowledge in terms of weapon spawn times. If I know sniper doesn't spawn for 2 more minuites and between us we have counted that the sniper guy has taken x many shots we can get a feel for when it's safe to show out heads. It might sound nerdy and impractical but in a 4v4 it's pretty easy to keep track of enemy power weapon ammo.

What if I only had 8 bullets, but a new sniper spawns just before you pop up to take me at long range? You'll STILL get sniped in the head, but it won't be because I had an extra 4 bullets.

This is exactly what we have lost - the ability to time weapons and ammo, I know it's a different subject to perks but in combination this readability is now gone.

What if I don't have awareness, but my teammate says 'crouching guy right outside your door, left side.' You'll still die, but it won't be because of my loadout.

that's fine as I died to team work - I am fine with that, thanks to perks though I could be losing due to teamwork or an option they chose in the menu[/quote]

I suppose this could happen. I haven't seen it yet, but it could happen.

What if you throw a nade at me, but you don't have explosives... but one of your teammates puts a single DMR round into me just as I jump? I'll die, but not because of your loadout.

That's fine, I can go into theatre mode and see what happened, this is a perfectly normal thing and it's readable, none of the Scenarios that occur because of perks are readable.

yeah... I guess this section shows (once again - I guess I knew this before) that you and I like different Halos. :( Yours sounds really boring to me.

Perks just make the game messy. Adding them takes away from the brand of halo I enjoy, implementing them in another way doesn't take away from the brand you enjoy. We have both been enjoying perk free halo for years, I think the main difference between us is tolerance. I hate to sound whiny but halo has never had this degree of rock paper scissors, the more it veers that way the less I feel my in game actions matter and the more boring the game becomes to me. My
Taste in halo has changed over the years but I started off playing crazy games of btb on halo 1 and still have a love for that, I think the more games use perks, the less a sandbox comes into play. It becomes about hard counters and choosing options in a menu rather than taking in game action.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Your absolutely right, BTB is too chaotic to count bullets, but on king of the hill, ctf or slayer it's possible all it takes are call outs and a bit of knowledge in terms of weapon spawn times. If I know sniper doesn't spawn for 2 more minuites and between us we have counted that the sniper guy has taken x many shots we can get a feel for when it's safe to show out heads. It might sound nerdy and impractical but in a 4v4 it's pretty easy to keep track of enemy power weapon ammo.

This is exactly what we have lost - the ability to time weapons and ammo, I know it's a different subject to perks but in combination this readability is now gone.

that's fine as I died to team work - I am fine with that, thanks to perks though I could be losing due to teamwork or an option they chose in the menu
I suppose this could happen. I haven't seen it yet, but it could happen.

That's fine, I can go into theatre mode and see what happened, this is a perfectly normal thing and it's readable, none of the Scenarios that occur because of perks are readable.

Perks just make the game messy. Adding them takes away from the brand of halo I enjoy, implementing them in another way doesn't take away from the brand you enjoy. We have both been enjoying perk free halo for years, I think the main difference between us is tolerance. I hate to sound whiny but halo has never had this degree of rock paper scissors, the more it veers that way the less I feel my in game actions matter and the more boring the game becomes to me. My
Taste in halo has changed over the years but I started off playing crazy games of btb on halo 1 and still have a love for that, I think the more games use perks, the less a sandbox comes into play. It becomes about hard counters and choosing options in a menu rather than taking in game action.

Almost like it's not tense, engaging, or exciting, you might say?

So your issue is that you can't shoot everyone from multiple spots of the map? i see why you like complex now. you must really hate Adrift then...that map is very closed off.

No that's not it at all. I actually really like Adrift(aside from Regicide, it sucks for that). The problem is there is no possible way to set up or do anything even resembling a team style of play. There is a difference to shooting from anywhere on the map(Which also can't be done on complex unless you are atop the building which makes you a target from all spots) and being able to quickly respond to a teammates callout. A map needs more than 2 viable vantage points. It's not about being able to shoot anywhere on the map at all times, it's about having more places to be on the map than just two spots.

That's why I said the map plays like an FFA in team slayer. When team play gets reduced due to map layout it makes it play like an FFA which is why the top of lift is the main thing being faught over with a few people being on beach from time to time. The map just isn't made for team play outside of maybe King or Oddball and even then it's meh.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So what do we stand to gain? Are there any more (potential or otherwise) armor or skin Waypoint unlocks like the Raider armor?

Hell if I know. At this point we've gotten either armor or emblem. This being a singular one could suggest emblem or weapon skin to spice things up.

S1kkZ

ok played the first mission. seems like another great improvement, compared to the other missions. mission strucure is much more fun than in the first quary mission (mission 1 in ep 1). what i really love: one of my biggest complaint from campaign was fixed: the score is now front and center when combat kicks in. its really loud, as it fucking should be.

i hope they can deliver a patch so that the score is like that in campaign.

hope the other mission from ep 3 are also great.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So wrong. Outside of Abandon every map is easily decent to good. There is none outright unplayable, Abandon comes close but it can at least be decent for Flood and Regicide.
Heh, that's funny. After Haven, Abandon is the second best map in the game.

I still don't understand WHY if two profiles are signed in on one console BOTH people have to play. Sometimes me and my buddy just want to play but our wives are in our party and just want to chat.

Acidote

Hey, it's getting interesting!

Speculation after watching the video, haven't done the Ops yet:

Might there be a Forerunner A.I. in Requiem?

zlatko

Banned
Hey, it's getting interesting!

Speculation after watching the video, haven't done the Ops yet:

Might there be a Forerunner A.I. in Requiem?

I haven't watched or done Ep3 yet, but I kept thinking what if that box they found was the Librarian's coffin and she's alive inside? Also, idk if the Didact is totally dead, he fell into the composer beam, so what if he got composed and made into a Promethean super mega A.I ?

S1kkZ

man, david didnt lie when he said ep 3 is worth the wait. the valhalla level was pretty neat. i hope they use all of the mp maps in the future episodes (ok, maybe not haven).

you also get a ton of xp in this ep (around 6000 in matchmaking).

REV 09

man, david didnt lie when he said ep 3 is worth the wait. the valhalla level was pretty neat. i hope they use all of the mp maps in the future episodes (ok, maybe not haven).

you also get a ton of xp in this ep (around 6000 in matchmaking).

were the remaining two chapters new locales? you've mentioned Quarry, Ragnarok, and Complex.

so far, are the spartan ops using existing (eg multiplayer) maps or are they constructing them anew (eg using that tool that lets end users build levels).

I haven't watched or done Ep3 yet, but I kept thinking what if that box they found was the Librarian's coffin and she's alive inside? Also, idk if the Didact is totally dead, he fell into the composer beam, so what if he got composed and made into a Promethean super mega A.I ?

He cant use the composer he modified his body too much for his quest to become immune for the flood.

Dude, this first chapter of 3 is the most fun I have had in spartan ops. This is more along the lines of what I thought it was going to be like :)

Awesome!

Top Bottom