• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

JB1981

Really? Everyone should enjoy the same aspects of the game as you? SWAT was a godsend in Reach when broken AA's and grenades were a huge issue. It's a game of speed and reflexes, a game of skill with no other variables muddying the water. Not for everybody but it sure as heck has it's place.

Why would it be? They are balanced on the two maps I've seen them on, not hard to take out. The one vehicle I don't feel belongs in MP as fun as it is to use, is the Gauss Hog. That thing kills too much, too fast. A team gets the Gauss and Scorpion on the same map? Good bye rival team.

I went 19-2 on Complex. It's not that it's hard or I'm not good at it. I just find it really stale. Halo gameplay has so much more to offer then peak-a-boo shooting ala COD.

Does not sound good for derFeef :(
The sheer number of enemies you have to deal with can be overwhelming, but its only when those giant packs are aggressive and seek you out that it becomes really difficult to manage.

* Don't let yourself get surrounded, ever.
* Beware of cloaked zealots. You will not see them on radar until they are actively rushing at you.
* Ammo control is key. Be on the lookout for UNSC weapon crates which can always replenish your ammo, as well as supplying some new armaments. The Ammo support perk is also my go-to for Spartan Ops.

One thing I'd also recommend for solo Spartan Ops is hologram. Use it to advance around corners to spring ambushes, set it up near your position to draw fire while you snipe or flank, use it when hiding behind cover and replenishing shields to give you time to breathe, and when you need to sprint across open ground spawn the hologram to go in a tangential direction as you sprint yourself. Hologram has so damn many uses, bu against the AI especially it always helps.

I went 19-2 on Complex. It's not that it's hard or I'm not good at it. I just find it really stale. Halo gameplay has so much more to offer then peak-a-boo shooting ala COD.

Complex is an exception, that map is not designed well for SWAT. You can pretty much just hide and snipe people all match. I wasn't suggesting you were bad either, I'm just saying it's a different flavor than matches where AA's or grenades or vehicles, etc. can add unique variables that allow a lower skilled player to come out on top at times. Both have their place, diversity is good. Don't like it? Don't play it. Some of us love it.

Okay, SpOps 3 was definitely a step up. Story wise, I'm in the middle of the Thursday War and it was nice seeing familiar faces.
Mission wise, I really liked the 4th. It honestly felt like they cranked up the stupid to 11 but it felt good.
So, only 2 SpOps challenges this week?

I realized typing that out that we have three discrete gaps in functionality: Theater, Waypoint, and video rendering. And only one of them are known to be incoming at some point (file sharing). Halo 4 really stripped out a lot of what made being in its community so fun.

The best part is that Waypoint has a link to the HALO REACH File Share on it.

It's a like a huge slap in the face: "Hey, remember when we gave a shit about you guys?"

I keep coming up with ideas that I think would make EP 3 much better than the first two and then figure I'm going to let myself down later haha I was thinking it would be awesome if on Vahal...Ragnarok, you had to invade the opposing base and it was setup with defenses like in Dominion. Would be amazing to have a massive vehicle battle across the plain and then invade the base, take down it's defenses, and capture the intel.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally got back from my 16-day trip, my LE at €18 under standard price sitting here waiting for me in mint condition.

Didn't visit this thread for the last week, I'm tired but I wanna just unwrap the game, pop it in, and play solo Legendary undisturbed right now - decisions, decisions.

Plus I was nearing the end of Bioshock 2, right when things got reaaaaal juicy, so I'm contemplating finishing that first too. What to do.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Finally got back from my 16-day trip, my LE at €18 under standard price sitting here waiting for me in mint condition.

Didn't visit this thread for the last week, I'm tired but I wanna just unwrap the game, pop it in, and play solo Legendary undisturbed right now - decisions, decisions.

Plus I was nearing the end of Bioshock 2, right when things got reaaaaal juicy, so I'm contemplating finishing that first too. What to do.

Neither. Halo multi. Sooo good.

Depends on how OCD, or rather, a completionist you are. If it's going to constantly bug you, finish Bioshock so you can then enjoy Halo undisturbed and the play the hell out of it until Bioshock 3 (and then right back to Halo).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Bioshock 2 can wait!

Oh man.

Neither. Halo multi. Sooo good.

Oh maaaaaaan.

Both of you guys just swayed me.

Depends on how OCD, or rather, a completionist you are. If it's going to constantly bug you, finish Bioshock so you can then enjoy Halo undisturbed and the play the hell out of it until Bioshock 3 (and then right back to Halo).

I killed my completionist habits some years back, thank goodness - now I only save that for a handful of series like Halo, Gears and the like (BioShock as well, funny enough) - but now I just remembered that I also have Minerva's Den, which seems to have the universal sentiment of being even better than BioShock 2 by itself, and BioShock 2's end game is looking real good, so I'm gonna want to jump into Minerva's Den right after beating BioShock 2, so I think I'm gonna save that till after beating Halo 4's campaign first, so it looks like Halo 4 gets to go in first!

Thanks for the responses guys!

JB1981

Complex is an exception, that map is not designed well for SWAT. You can pretty much just hide and snipe people all match. I wasn't suggesting you were bad either, I'm just saying it's a different flavor than matches where AA's or grenades or vehicles, etc. can add unique variables that allow a lower skilled player to come out on top at times. Both have their place, diversity is good. Don't like it? Don't play it. Some of us love it.

You're being a little defensive. I didn't say it should be removed or that you can't like it. I just said I don't understand how people can like the variant. Do you.

You're being a little defensive. I didn't say it should be removed or that you can't like it. I just said I don't understand how people can like the variant. Do you.

Not being defensive, trying to explain why people like it. For some reason I did think you wanted it removed, my apologies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
SpOps, Ep. 3:

"Why are we watching this old lady?"

"WAR CRIMINAL"

With that said, it's a nice step up from last weeks but not without its own cheese.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This weeks SpOps was good. Nice to see multiplayer maps get in on some of the action.

Not enough eggheads and science types for my liking, though.

Everdred

I advise everyone to not go with stalker, its terrible. By the time you spawn the last person that killed you is already dead. So MAYBE you can see where he was for a couple seconds.

StUnNeR H2K

Loved the new episode clip... Halsey cutting down the Spartan-IV's was good.

"Yes, and I see you decided I rate three of the new model..."

The maps leave a lot to be desired and they're artistically rather ugly. Here's hoping to some great maps on the way.

You're crazy. They all look great...don't know what you're looking at. Love Meltdown, Love Adrift; Love Solace. These are ones that stand out for me. But they all look great.

lantus

So I finally played a couple hours of multiplayer, and while I'm sure I didn't play all of the maps, they weren't as fun as I was hoping. I don't see any real standouts and I doubt any of them will become classics the way past games did, maybe my opinion will change overtime. Hope future maps are much better.

Really? Everyone should enjoy the same aspects of the game as you? SWAT was a godsend in Reach when broken AA's and grenades were a huge issue. It's a game of speed and reflexes, a game of skill with no other variables muddying the water. Not for everybody but it sure as heck has it's place

It has it's place but I knida agree that to me it really isn't enjoyable. Playing swat is something I do once in a blue moon when I want a break from the usual addictive Halo gameplay from the other playlists.

Don't understand why that was the first choice when people are obviously missing a multi-team playlist

It has it's place but I knida agree that to me it really isn't enjoyable. Playing swat is something I do once in a blue moon when I want a break from the usual addictive Halo gameplay from the other playlists.

Don't understand why that was the first choice when people are obviously missing a multi-team playlist

Because of it's popularity. There are many people that play it exclusively.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So I finally played a couple hours of multiplayer, and while I'm sure I didn't play all of the maps, they weren't as fun as I was hoping. I don't see any real standouts and I doubt any of them will become classics the way past games did, maybe my opinion will change overtime. Hope future maps are much better.

I felt the same initially but they grow on you. Haven is by far the best map in the game right now, and (in my opinion) Ragnarok is the worst one.

LosDaddie

Banned
Do the Double XP codes stack?

I redeemed a few codes last week, and I still have ~10 matches left, and I have 3 new codes to redeem now. Do I have to finish all the other matches before redeeming these new codes?

malfcn

The save system blows. First time I played it kept loading me at the wrong level, and then when I beat it the game never registered a whole mission. Now I am playing co-op and a whole mission we completed. Reloaded today and the game never saved that progress.

lantus

I felt the same initially but they grow on you. Haven is by far the best map in the game right now, and (in my opinion) Ragnarok is the worst one.

Yeah I would say ragnarok gets played way too much. I wasn't even a huge fan of Valhalla back in halo 3, so that doesn't help.

Duo014

Do the spartans keep respawning in mission 6 shutdown. I'm in the ship and for fun and all i'm killing everyone who is there. But there doesn't seem an end... Yet. It's rather fun

I like Haven all right but it gets picked way too much.

I really like all the "small" 4v4 maps except for Complex, which just feels mostly directionless.

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what would you guys recommend for those who want to have the story better fleshed out through the extended universe?

Any books in particular? Wiki entries?

I haven't started the campaign yet but I hear it can be confusing without prerequisite information.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I like Haven all right but it gets picked way too much.

I really like all the "small" 4v4 maps except for Complex, which just feels mostly directionless.

Complex if fucking painful. Adrift has grown on me since i kinda have a general strat for it now..solace though..i dont know..its like my purgatory map. Sometimes its good sometimes its bad. Fucking jumps up on it is a real quick recipe for anger.

Pooya

played some Team Snipers games on Complex and Ragnorak, very good. It's very popular too, hope it stays.

Spartan Ops ep3. played chap3 and chap5 solo for kicks. It's petty bad that they are using same areas from previous ep though multiplayer maps are welcome. It was better overall, chap3 specially, if these missions played like campaign with checkpoints in solo play it would have been much better rather than you die, respawn continue killing the rest or having limited lives in coop. That sandbox, try and error feel just isn't there although the levels and encounters can be more fun than the campaign if it didn't have unlimited respawns imo. it's obviously far more open and with a lot more enemies than the campaign levels and AI moves around a lot more imo.

right now spartan ops is good for easy xp. :p

MormaPope

Banned
The save system blows. First time I played it kept loading me at the wrong level, and then when I beat it the game never registered a whole mission. Now I am playing co-op and a whole mission we completed. Reloaded today and the game never saved that progress.

I made the same mistake for co-op stuff.

You have to select one of the checkpoints/main areas of a mission before launching the campaign. It's a tile next to the mission select tile.

I love Halo, but am just getting killed in Legendary. Is it possible to beat the game on normal, then beat the last level on Legendary to see the Legendary Ending?

Man I love this game! What other game can you stick a zooming Banshee that flies over your head, do a barrel roll with a Ghost and splatter two enemies, no scope a gunner out of a Warthog! So much fun!

After playing Episode 3,
I feel really bad for Crimson. "Oh you just murdered hoards upon hoards of covenant, sure you can finally go home. Right after we fly you to this location to kill more hundreds of covenant! You can handle that, right?"

j-wood

Can someone explain to me how in the hell to watch a film of a match I saved locally? Why is there no play button?

Edit: nvm

Finally finished the game. Maybe i enjoyed the story more if those waypoint videos r in game.
Final stage felt kinda flat I do like that spaceship section

Top Bottom