• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

LosDaddie

Banned
It just dumps it. It really sucks. I was hoping to get my email by now, I have achievements before the deadline, so instead I have to pace myself through the 2 specializations I was given.

When you reached level 60, did the levels rank up as fast as they did for levels 50-59? Like, the first 50-levels (50-54) seemed to go by real quick for me.

Nori Chan

Really? I finished all of the 5 episodes and no achievement.

Then I look back to the chapters and it says I haven't done any of chapter 2. And then when I go to pick an episode it shows that I beat them all on heroic. This fucking game.

Really? I finished all of the 5 episodes and no achievement.

Then I look back to the chapters and it says I haven't done any of chapter 2. And then when I go to pick an episode it shows that I beat them all on heroic. This fucking game.
Have you tried playing one more Solo and completing it?

no XP, after the match finishes you go straight to the lobby. this sucks.
This happened to me on Saturday, but it was from playing 12 double XP matches. There was no indication from the game that I hit the xp limit, which is something Reach at least told you.

This game is determined to find a way to suck the fun out of your experience at every turn. Can't launch Waypoint from the main menu, bizarre host migrations that kick me into joining another match that's almost complete, the whole Specialization code thing that only applies to 'mericuh, etc. I would gladly trade the visual upgrade we got for the more polished details that previous Halos excelled at, but I feel as a consumer that I should have to trade anything at this point.

I was a very early critic of Spartan Ops but it finally clicked over these last couple episodes. I just started looking at the mode like a story enhanced FireFight mode. I've already started going back and playing thru earlier chapters and while some missions are not fun I can definately see myself playing a few of these several times over. I really wished they'd patch-in scoring though.

raindoc

This happened to me on Saturday, but it was from playing 12 double XP matches. There was no indication from the game that I hit the xp limit, which is something Reach at least told you.

This game is determined to find a way to suck the fun out of your experience at every turn. Can't launch Waypoint from the main menu, bizarre host migrations that kick me into joining another match that's almost complete, the whole Specialization code thing that only applies to 'mericuh, etc. I would gladly trade the visual upgrade we got for the more polished details that previous Halos excelled at, but I feel as a consumer that I should have to trade anything at this point.

what almost pisses me off most: the day before i found out about how fucked i am i bought the freakin' map-pass.

Fuchsdh

I was a very early critic of Spartan Ops but it finally clicked over these last couple episodes. I just started looking at the mode like a story enhanced FireFight mode. I've already started going back and playing thru earlier chapters and while some missions are not fun I can definately see myself playing a few of these several times over. I really wished they'd patch-in scoring though.

The downside of that is they're supremely difficult solo. At least of Legendary--Heroic might be more manageable if you take it slow.

Mayyhem

I just seen the trailer for the new map pack. Christ they all look terrible...

:( I had dreamed we would get 3 smaller 4v4 maps in the pack and atleast one 4v4 symmetrical map.

but we all knew that wasn't going to happen. :(

Crazyorloco

what almost pisses me off most: the day before i found out about how fucked i am i bought the freakin' map-pass.

I bought it long ago as well. Let's hope 343I patch something in this game soon. patch anything. I know they did some fixes (complex, improved J.i.p) but give us patch notes. Let us know you're working 343i.

Esiquio

Haha yeah totally. Standby. I am pretty sure people could do it in 3 too.

It has happened to me once in 4, a few days ago. We were about to score a flag and the game went to the pause menu and they other team scored instead. Then everyone on that team dropped and my team automatically won.

Ominym

Banned
I think a big portion of what is wrong with SpOps is that not only are they rehashing levels, but 343i seems incapable of not attempting to pad a level out with bullshit. On the first mission of this episode, you're done with the main objective about five minutes in. Then, the game keeps spawning enemies; wave after wave. They tack on an additional ten minutes of doing the exact same thing after you should rightfully just be done with it.

Seriously. Spawning massive amounts of enemies at the end every, single, time, is not entertaining. If you're going to reuse levels, at least minimize the amount of time we're spending on them. Or at least give a better objective than, "hey shoot all the dudes now. Then do it again. Then one more time."

Other than this, the CG continues to be awesome. I wish actually playing SpOps was half as fun.

Lothars

I think a big portion of what is wrong with SpOps is that not only are they rehashing levels, but 343i seems incapable of not attempting to pad a level out with bullshit. On the first mission of this episode, you're done with the main objective about five minutes in. Then, the game keeps spawning enemies; wave after wave. They tack on an additional ten minutes of doing the exact same thing after you should rightfully just be done with it.

Seriously. Spawning massive amounts of enemies at the end every, single, time, is not entertaining. If you're going to reuse levels, at least minimize the amount of time we're spending on them. Or at least give a better objective than, "hey shoot all the dudes now. Then do it again. Then one more time."

Other than this, the CG continues to be awesome. I wish actually playing SpOps was half as fun.
I really enjoy Spartan Ops and have had ton of fun with it but I agree with you that they throw way to many enemies after the objective has been done.

Just finished the campaign. I thought that Halo 4, being the start of a new trilogy, would be a nice jumping on point to really get into the universe (I've only been a casual fan, despite being into sci-fi and shooters in general). Unfortunately, I was dead wrong. I didn't understand who the bad guy was or his motivations for wanting to destroy humanity. There was nothing to really flesh out his backstory. A brief video summary of what happened in Halo 1 - 3 would have been great. Or even a video explaining what the Forerunners are or what the hell a Composer is (I still don't know).

So I just kind of went through the motions, focusing more on the game play experience rather than the story. It was fun, better than 99% of other shooter campaigns. But I just wish 343 made it easier for casual fans to understand what the hell is going on. There was no emotional investment on my part.

Multiplayer is what really shines. Halo 3 felt so ancient when it came out. Chief couldn't run, no classes to choose from, no leveling, slow pace of play, etc. It was dreadful. Reach tried to introducethese modern innovations but they just couldn't build a cohesive package. This new multiplayer team has really hit a home run. Everything is just fantastic.

Actually, in that sense, it is a good jumping on point. None of this stuff was set up in the other games. The only way to have any deeper prior knowledge to the forerunners was to read a few of the books, this game and trilogy is meant to bring some of that to the greater audience. I haven't read the latest books so I just went off of what the game provides. Because I hadn't read the books, the antagonist was brand new to me and the extra fleshing out you want is provided via the terminals. Unfortunately, you can't watch them in-game and that's probably why you missed them. You have to find a terminal in each level (except the first) and that unlocks it in Waypoint. I recommend getting all the terminals and then watching them in order. They are complete back story dedicated to providing background on the antagonist and the librarian and fleshes out how the conflict first happened, why certain choices were made, etc. There is also a terminal in the very first level almost immediately after you first take control that gives an audio presentation of what happened in the first three games leading up to this one as a refresher.

You aren't supposed to know too much yet on the Forerunners, just what that large cut scene revealed and what the terminals flesh out. We'll learn more in the next two games, I expect. The Composer however, was completely explained in the game...
It's a forerunner weapon used to digitize life forms. It was created to combat the flood and the idea was that the flood cannot infect digital life forms, thus they would have no food and die out. It also made you immortal. The floods numbers were so great that the Didact eventually had to use it on humans to bolster the size of his army, turning them into his Promethean servants but there was a side effect, a mutation that turned them into the creatures we fight in the game.

If you watch the terminals, you'll see the forerunners debate between that strategy and the Halo one.

zlatko

Banned
my armor isn't being updated on halo waypoint and still keeps showing me as the red recruit. all my friends armors are being represented. and for some reason it is bothering the shit out of me.

This feel I know it. Hasn't updated shit for me except one time. Now I'm stuck in armor I haven't wore since the first week of the game. :/

Oh and to add it does update my emblem every time, but not my Spartan appearance.

That was probably the most lackluster batch of Spartan Ops missions to date. They all took like 8 minutes or less to complete, they all took place on the maps that we've played missions on at least 3 times before, and 4 of the 5 missions involved sitting in one place and defending something. At least I got some achievements out of it.

Hey You

So now we will have to start paying for Spartan Ops missions now? Any word on that yet?

If you have that problem, just play one more time solo. Any difficulty should be fine. This seems to be happening to people that played some co-op.

One mission solo?

I assume Crimson team
is dead
? Based on the last mission and achievement name...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was right and in SpOps episode 5 the
images are of the New Phoenix incident

About to play the episode and see what's up. Story is getting really interesting now.

I think the problem is that 343 seems incapable of hiding the gaminess behind smoke and mirrors. Ultimately these games are just a matter of reaching trigger volumes and hitting switches triggering enemies, but Halo 4 actually feels mechanical. We're told to hit buttons, because we have to hit buttons, and these buttons make waves of enemies appear and we have to kill them all. Why? Because thats how these games work.

Even the campaign was like this. Intermittent story elements book-ending a series of three buttons to press, each with three power sources to disable, before plugging cortana into another console. It just feels mechanical - there is no attempt to make the game's objectives seamlessly blend into a larger story. Even the transitions are all handled through portals that just take us from one Spartan Ops like battle scenario to the next with next to nothing to tie the locations together organically.

Compare this to the mission structure and objectives in something like Reach. On paper the objectives can seem similar, but the way those objectives work with the story and keep pushing things forward is handled with far more skill. You have a huge firefight just trying to reach the comm towers to get a warning out - or assaulting a base to grab a Sabre in order to jack a Covenant vessel and slam it into a mothership. The story and the gaminess in Reach played together so that you weren't stuck to digest each of them individually on their own.

Thank fucking god warthogs spawn so fast, I get so frustrated how everyone starts with 2 stickies but the fact that there's constantly something to drive makes up for it I suppose. Key to driving around enemies: SERPENTINE! SERPENTINE!

Also: Can't wait to specialize in operator, driving has always been my thing since the very first time I stepped onto Sidewinder in my first LAN party.

Edit: Bwhahaha 433 wheelmans so far!

Grisby

The CGI series so far has been fantastic, actually can't wait to next one.
It's almost going to be like a CGI movie when it's done.

I like SP OPS as a 'cinematic firefight' idea that was mentioned above but man, it doesn't really replace firefight though and the performance can really suck. I mean, down in the gutter type suck.

Got a voice message today: "So Crazy Spartan told me you work for 343..."

Lemme tell you, if I worked for 343, the Chief would still be wearing his Halo 3 armor.

EDIT: Holy hell.
A new Phoenix Promethean.
Nice.

JB1981

Just finished the campaign. I thought that Halo 4, being the start of a new trilogy, would be a nice jumping on point to really get into the universe (I've only been a casual fan, despite being into sci-fi and shooters in general). Unfortunately, I was dead wrong. I didn't understand who the bad guy was or his motivations for wanting to destroy humanity. There was nothing to really flesh out his backstory. A brief video summary of what happened in Halo 1 - 3 would have been great. Or even a video explaining what the Forerunners are or what the hell a Composer is (I still don't know).

So I just kind of went through the motions, focusing more on the game play experience rather than the story. It was fun, better than 99% of other shooter campaigns. But I just wish 343 made it easier for casual fans to understand what the hell is going on. There was no emotional investment on my part.

Multiplayer is what really shines. Halo 3 felt so ancient when it came out. Chief couldn't run, no classes to choose from, no leveling, slow pace of play, etc. It was dreadful. Reach tried to introducethese modern innovations but they just couldn't build a cohesive package. This new multiplayer team has really hit a home run. Everything is just fantastic.

The story is incomprehensible to anyone coming in fresh. Absolutely impenetrable story. I only know what's going on now because of Halo Wiki, watching the Terminal videos in their entirety and doing reseach on my own. The storytelling is awful.

exYle

HAHA!

Spartan Ops Episode 5, Chapter 2: Nothing Can Go Wrong
Spartan Ops Episode 5, Chapter 3: Everything Has Gone Wrong

Totally worth playing on the same map twice just for that joke.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
No Palmer yesssss.

My episode 2 info is bugged though, sometimes it says I've beaten it and sometimes it says I haven't done any. Even though I've completed all five now, no cheeve popped. Guess I gotta do 2 again to make sure.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone want to party up to do the first chapter on Legendary? I just can't keep both reactors or generators or whatever it is this week alive alone :/

GamerSoul

HAHA!

Spartan Ops Episode 5, Chapter 2: Nothing Can Go Wrong
Spartan Ops Episode 5, Chapter 3: Everything Has Gone Wrong

Totally worth playing on the same map twice just for that joke.

heh, Everything sure did go wrong ...and I like it. This is what happens when you don't have Palmer constantly checking up on you. lol

exYle

No Palmer yesssss.

My episode 2 info is bugged though, sometimes it says I've beaten it and sometimes it says I haven't done any. Even though I've completed all five now, no cheeve popped. Guess I gotta do 2 again to make sure.

The achievement is bugged. You have to complete one of Chapters in Episode 5 alone (or with friends only - NO matchmaking) to get it. I recommend doing Chapter 1 on Easy, as you can easily knock out both the achievement and all three Weekly challenges in one.

The achievement is bugged. You have to complete one of Chapters in Episode 5 alone (or with friends only - NO matchmaking) to get it. I recommend doing Chapter 1 on Easy, as you can easily knock out both the achievement and all three Weekly challenges in one.

I didn't have to do that.

The "No Easy Way Out"-achievement is bugged, though. Just completed Chapter 1, survived, and got nothing. Thanks 343.

I didn't have to do that.

The "No Easy Way Out"-achievement is bugged, though. Just completed Chapter 1, survived, and got nothing. Thanks 343.
You most likely have to if you completed some in co-op and not solo.

For the Chapter 1, I am pretty sure you have to have both computers still alive and on Heroic and higher. No one has unlocked it on Normal. And don't activate the terminal until all the baddies are dead. And it is fine if you die. I died 4 times and got the chievo.

zlatko

Banned
Sorry for the rookiest question of all but where do I find a list of the daily challenges? It was pretty easy to find in Reach.

Start button in menus - Up, Challenges.

Or go to Halowaypoint.com. Far left once you sign into see your service record, and on the bottom of the left options is challenges.

Top Bottom