• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Wish List

Conor 419

Banned
Halo x The Survival Element of Minecraft / The open world style of Crysis.

It'd take place on one of the many magnificent forerunner structures. The one small reason that has me thinking this may be the direction they're taking is because the new Warthog (as advertised in the Forza 4 trailer) was given distinctive traits that would make it suitable for exploration and survival. Such as the built in radio, the tow cable and the attachable gas tanks.

So, my imagination built upon this idea and I decided that I'd really love there to be a central base in this open world that can be returned to for supplies, whilst also being upgraded with anything that you find whilst exploring. The upgrades would slowly bring the 'base' back to full functionality over the course of the game. A more fully upgraded base would provide you better equipment and vehicles to help you explore the structure more easily. It'd also better protect you from any hostiles (which vary in aggressiveness depending on the dynamic weather and night/day cycles). I can just imagine Halo 4 opening with the Chief being separated from the Forward Unto Dawn and then lost on the structure with only a Warthog. The player would then be forced to explore the area, locate the crash landed ship, explore it for supplies and then use the Warthog to tow it back to base.

Missions would be focusing on exploring areas of importance (control room) and 'side missions' would be focused on gathering supplies to help you. Both can be done at the player's leisure, with more and more areas being accessible as the game goes on. I also love the idea of taking my Warthog out to explore, crashing it beyond repair and then being lost somewhere on the structure as night approaches.

As to deliver some of the more classic set pieces, the first half should focus on making UNSC contact, the second on some other shit.

It'd be so good.

zap

I want:
- Reach's netcode (or improved!)
- Hitscan BR
- BR/AR starts
- No armour abilities
- Pick up OS and Camo
- Lots of maps.
- Maps that are compatible with successive games to build up map selection (unrealistic I guess)
- Halo 3 grenades
- Halo 3 jump height, but not so floaty
- Shield recharge time decreased back to Halo 2/3 levels

I want:
- Reach's netcode (or improved!)
- Hitscan BR
- BR/AR starts
- No armour abilities
- Pick up OS and Camo
- Lots of maps.
- Maps that are compatible with successive games to build up map selection (unrealistic I guess)
- Halo 3 grenades
- Halo 3 jump height, but not so floaty
- Shield recharge time decreased back to Halo 2/3 levels

I could agree with these without wiping a sweat.

CyReN

Checking out Reddit and saw a wishlist for Halo 4, just some stuff I'd like. Haven't really posted much before expect complain.

Don't carry much over from Reach besides how maps are decided, learn from the games mistakes Bungie did and work on what Halo 2/3 did right.

My personal stuff:
  • Ranks for playlists
  • Add a drop in mode for non rank games like CoD to work on quitters.
  • Add a "Quit with honor mode" When 50% or more of your teammates quit and you aren't penalized
  • Don't focus on Arena, we have MLG
  • Campaign and MM first, less focus on Firefight & Invasion
  • Forge scenery worlds (Halo,Covenant,Earth etc)
  • Don't rely on "Forge maps", Halo Reach suffered from it
  • More Arena maps, barley any in Reach
  • Do smart remakes (ie Heretic,Beaver Creek), Don't do Blackouts!
  • Add spectator mode for tourney play
  • If you are going to do assassinations, keep them in Campaign.
  • 4 or more in theater

JimiNutz

Banned
Not many people have really mentioned graphics yet, and I know the gameplay is ultimately more important, but i wonder how it will look?
Will it be better looking than Reach? I thought Halo 3 looked pretty underwhelming when it was released. Reach did definitely look significantly better so i wonder how much/if Halo 4 will look better than Reach?

On the one hand im expecting it to look great since its a new team made up of some fantastic talent and they've been working on the game for a good while.
On the other hand if they're using the Reach engine again I wonder how much different it will look - has it even been confirmed what engine they're using?

Feindflug

Not many people have really mentioned graphics yet, and I know the gameplay is ultimately more important, but i wonder how it will look?
Will it be better looking than Reach? I thought Halo 3 looked pretty underwhelming when it was released. Reach did definitely look significantly better so i wonder how much/if Halo 4 will look better than Reach?

On the one hand im expecting it to look great since its a new team made up of some fantastic talent and they've been working on the game for a good while.
On the other hand if they're using the Reach engine again I wonder how much different it will look - has it even been confirmed what engine they're using?

Things about what engine the game is running on are a little confusing...IIRC 343 said that they used the Halo base engine and probably did their own optimizations/modifications on that, I don't know what exactly that means but I doubt they worked on the Reach engine mainly because (correct me if I'm wrong) Bungie created the Reach engine while Halo 4 was already in development by 343.

The good thing is that even if Halo 4 looks exactly like Reach the most likely inclusion of FXAA instead of the horrible TAA will make a world of a difference in IQ which was the only problem visually with Reach IMO.

With talented people like Corrine Yu on board I seriously can't wait to see what 343 have done on the tech side of things with Halo 4.

Top Bottom