• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Blue Team B-Roll

FordGTGuy

Banned
You're living in a fantasy land if you think Halo 4 looks better than this. I agree H4 is a gorgeous game but 5 is clearly superior.

On top of this, he is basing his opinion on a YouTube video; YouTube has made judging graphics this generation a cluster fuck.

I'll post them again, this is the same footage but straight from Microsoft and at 15,000+kbps bitrate:

http://news.xbox.com/api/mediacart/download/a8a8850b296e405aba15ab328b5dde47
http://news.xbox.com/api/mediacart/download/f94d3327744749afb504ab0d202a6a20

Judging graphics with YouTube is an awful thing to do, you shouldn't even be allowed to call it B-Roll once it is on YouTube as it implies high quality.

Compare this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0AWhrEmVo

to this:
http://www.gamersyde.com/download_forza_motorsport_6_e3_direct_feed_gameplay-35017_en.html

the fact there is even a debate about it suggests 343 should have maybe kept 30fps for the campaign and made a visual showcase? i think if you consider the hardware they're running on, halo 4 is a much bigger visual feat on 360 then halo 5 is on Xbone.

End of generation vs. early-mid generation title, double the frame-rate, Halo 4 was limited in scale, etc etc etc ad nauseum.

TheMAK

Banned
On top of this, he is basing his opinion on a YouTube video; YouTube has made judging graphics this generation a cluster fuck.

I'll post them again, this is the same footage but straight from Microsoft and at 15,000+kbps bitrate:

http://news.xbox.com/api/mediacart/download/a8a8850b296e405aba15ab328b5dde47
http://news.xbox.com/api/mediacart/download/f94d3327744749afb504ab0d202a6a20

Judging graphics with YouTube is an awful thing to do, you shouldn't even be allowed to call it B-Roll once it is on YouTube as it implies high quality.

Nope judging directly from the direct feed b-roll...opinions you know...

The lighting alone is a massive step up from H4. Far more dynamic. That corridor shot alone is more technically impressive as far as lighting goes than any of H4. If you disagree... Ok hahah, whatever.

Also, particle/other effects are clearly a large step up. Along with noticeably higher detail models and much better textures and shadows (both of which didn't really hold up in H4 when you started looking up close). Environments are decent-sized too, like that last Banshee one.

And of course better AA, higher resolution, more than double the average framerate.

szaromir

Banned
the fact there is even a debate about it suggests 343 should have maybe kept 30fps for the campaign and made a visual showcase? i think if you consider the hardware they're running on, halo 4 is a much bigger visual feat on 360 then halo 5 is on Xbone.

Halo 4 was 7 years into 360's lifetime, Halo 5 is 2 years into One's lifetime. Surely the future games will push the hardware harder, but for now let's enjoy the content for what it is. And no, 60fps looks like an excellent choice for this game.

Welfare

The fact there is a debate suggests that people don't know how Halo 4 even got those graphics anyway.

Halo 4 was barebones when it came to effects, explosions, and the scale that Halo is known for in its environments. Halo 5 does everything better plus more with 60fps.

What is the AI doing charging that hunter? After they told Master Chief to stay out of its reach!

Having to play with AI teams makes me nervous about the single player.

TheMAK

Banned
Sure they look nice, but halo 5 still looks better. Just look at the chiefs hand when he's holding the dmr. The amount of detail is awesome.

Assets are definitely better but the overall look is nearly identical. Shader model is now Physically Based but mimics too much the plastic looks of Halo 4. Alien Isolation got the shaded model for metal/plastic right for example. All IMO btw.

moered6

Banned
The fact there is a debate suggests that people don't know how Halo 4 even got those graphics anyway.

Halo 4 was barebones when it came to effects, explosions, and the scale that Halo is known for in its environments. Halo 5 does everything better plus more with 60fps.

this!

Is it me or have they finally fixd that horrible aliasing? Looks clean now.

But gameplay wise it looks so unnatural to see Masterchief doing all this abilities lol

Akai__

It might be his opinion but it's also clearly wrong, graphics can be subjective in terms of art style and certain effects.

Halo 5 looks better than Halo 4 on MCC because of the better effects, textures, models and draw distance.

An opinion can't be wrong, sorry. It can be different from yours and that's it.

You're living in a fantasy land if you think Halo 4 looks better than this. I agree H4 is a gorgeous game but 5 is clearly superior.

Basically this:

So let him live in his "Fantasy Land"? (just lmao) Maybe he'll change his mind, when he finally gets to play the game. Even if he doesn't, it's his OPINION.

And how is it concern trolling, though? Is he trolling 343i here, because he magically likes Halo 4 but not Halo 5? How does that make any sense?

---

Am I trolling, because I don't like how the weapons sound (like posted in a previous post) or how ugly the Covenant looks? It all comes down to preferences.

And again, I don't agree with him here, but you can't even state your opinion on here anymore, without people saying you are wrong. Maybe some of you should google the definition of opinion. lol

Agree with that one. I just hope that Halo 5 doesn't suffer from poor gameplay, because of the graphics. I want more of that sweet Halo CE and Halo 3 gameplay goodness and not a button pressing simulator like Halo 4 was. If we get anything similiar to AotCR or The Covenant, then I'll be pretty happy.

jem0208

Assets are definitely better but the overall look is nearly identical. Shader model is now Physically Based but mimics too much the plastic looks of Halo 4. Alien Isolation got the shaded model for metal/plastic right for example. All IMO btw.
That's because they share a similar art style... It's intentional.

Wait, you said Halo 4 looked better, now you say it looks similar?
What is it?

FordGTGuy

Banned

So let him live in his "Fantasy Land"? (just lmao) Maybe he'll change his mind, when he finally gets to play the game. Even if he doesn't, it's his OPINION.

And how is it concern trolling, though? Is he trolling 343i here, because he magically likes Halo 4 but not Halo 5? How does that make any sense?

It's our opinion that his opinion is wrong and evidence is more supportive of our position.

jem0208

---

Am I trolling, because I don't like how the weapons sound (like posted in a previous post) or how ugly the Covenant looks? It all comes down to preferences.

And again, I don't agree with him here, but you can't even state your opinion on here anymore, without people saying you are wrong. Maybe some of you should google the definition of opinion. lol

Agree with that one. I just hope that Halo 5 doesn't suffer from poor gameplay, because of the graphics. I want more of that sweet Halo CE and Halo 3 gameplay goodness and not a button pressing simulator like Halo 4 was. If we get anything similiar to AotCR or The Covenant, then I'll be pretty happy.

An opinion most certainly can be wrong. Initially it appeared he was trying to say that H4 was graphically superior to 5, which would be wrong. Obviously I misinterpretted his initial post, or he changed his tune.

To make an example of how an opinion can be wrong, saying CE is graphically better than 5 would be wrong. Lower resolution, less polygons, worse textures etc. Graphical fidelity is not subjective.

What is subjective is the art style, or use of that graphical fidelity. Saying you prefer how CE looks, regardless of the lower quality assets, is fine.

It may seem pedantic but there's a fairly major distinction between the two.

To put it simply, opinions about fact can be wrong (honestly it would be inaccurate to call them an opinion). Opinions about what those facts entail can be subjective.

In general it looks really good and especially smooth. The only thing (graphically wise) that still bothers me slightly, has to do with the explosions. The particles seem pretty low quality, while this is something that Halo generally excels at.

In general it looks really good and especially smooth. The only thing (graphically wise) that still bothers me slightly, has to do with the explosions. The particles seem pretty low quality, while this is something that Halo generally excels at.

Yup they still have to work on these.

Noobcraft

But its his opinion? Why do some of you get so salty when someone doesnt like the same?
He made a factual statement and tried to back it up by sharing gameplay footage of the corridors of the first level. Yes the materials look similar in that particular scene, but the lighting, geometry, shadows, scale, and materials all look improved in Halo 5.

Looks like a lot of fun! Don't have an Xbox yet and watching this has me excited about it. Hope the game does really well for Halo fans and especially for 343i. They have big shoes to fill and I'm sure they worked really hard to get everything right for the Halo series and to the fans. Yeah, October does seem far away. Can't wait to see and hear more about as time draws nearer.

Especially with this claim we should wait.

And in my opinion the lighting doesnt look that much better. Yes its improved but not in a big way.
Shadows looked the same to me? The typical halo prebaked shadows and dynamic shadows for the characters. And the materials sometimes look a bit off.

jem0208

Especially with this claim we should wait.

And in my opinion the lighting doesnt look that much better. Yes its improved but not in a big way.
Shadows looked the same to me? The typical halo prebaked shadows and dynamic shadows for the characters. And the materials sometimes look a bit off.
You can see the scale is larger than H4 at least.

That last section with the banshees looks really big.

szaromir

Banned

Well, they had to achieve 60fps somehow and good explosions eat fillrate like no tomorrow.

Well, they had to achieve 60fps somehow and good explosions eat fillrate like no tomorrow.

Hm the Frosbite games have really impressive particles and effects and some of them are running in 60fps (i know i know its not constant 60fps yada yada)

Are you calling 343 liars?

I never understood this logic, if a developer has confirmed that it's larger scale... well it is.

Im just saying that we havent seen anything that proves that claim. Developers always love to throw around some buzzwords you should know that too.

This confusion about having something and having something heard plagues online discourse in general (not just here).

Everyone 'can have an opinion'.
That does not then mean every opinion is founded on truthful information, good intentions, or even basic comprehension.
That does not mean anyone needs to hear said opinion.

Etc etc.

Akai__

I see it as an opinion and not as stating a fact. Not sure, why people are so upset about it... But nevermind, not worth it.

What's that trick with the shotgun blast to the elite @ 1m20s?

Hovering. You could do that while in the air and zooming. Not sure if the controlls changed since the Beta.

I see it as an opinion and not as stating a fact. Not sure, why people are so upset about it... But nevermind, not worth it.

Hovering. You could do that while in the air and zooming. Not sure if the controlls changed since the Beta.

Yeah, it is called Stabilizer and it can be turned off. When on it defaults to hovering in the air when using Smart-Scope. When off, you have to click the Sprint button when in the air to engage the Stabilizer.

Akai__

Yeah, it is called Stabilizer and it can be turned off. When on it defaults to hovering in the air when using Smart-Scope. When off, you have to click the Sprint button when in the air to engage the Stabilizer.

Yeah Stabilizer/Hover whatever. :D

I didn't get the chance to use it as much in the Beta. Didn't see it as a very useful feature in the Beta, but that will probably change once you are deep into Halo 5 controls and people share clips/tricks.

Top Bottom