• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 - Game Informer details

Those campaign screenshots are... not good.

They look VERY similar to Halo 4's first mission, from the look of enemies (expected) to the scenario and color palette.

Frankie says it looks better in motion... I really hope he's right. I'm expecting more from this game.

What campaign screenshots? Thought those were mp.

BTW, has it been confirmed anywhere that the campaign is 60fps?

Any chance 343 is going to run with a 30fps/60fps split between campaign and multi ala Killzone?

Kalentan

BTW, has it been confirmed anywhere that the campaign is 60fps?

Any chance 343 is going to run with a 30fps/60fps split between campaign and multi ala Killzone?

They said it's 60 FPS, and that's the reason for no split-screen in campaign, because they wish to keep it at that. Which sucks imo, I wouldn't mind a 30 FPS split-screen mode rather than no split-screen at all.

They said it's 60 FPS, and that's the reason for no split-screen in campaign, because they wish to keep it at that.
OK, if that's the reasoning given than that's certainly confirmation.

I didn't mind the split as much as I expected in Killzone, but to be fair, its kindof charitable to consider that game's multiplayer to be 60fps too ;p

Ive been replaying Halo 3's campaign, and I just love how ambitious it is. I forgot how great the enemy encounters were, and how big the sandbox is to play in. Im really hoping that they get back to those gameplay roots, and skip the ugly corridors of "push this glowing button" of halo 4..

Schmitty

So when they say 20 maps, they are probably counting the 2 versions of midship etc. I wonder if that means only really 10 maps

Danny 117

Whats this "two versions" stuff that keeps coming up regarding the maps?

Why would you need to versions of the arena maps?

They had remixes of maps in the beta. For example "Truth" is midship and "Regret" is Essentially midship turned upside down with quite a few visual changes. It plays a lot differently.

Why would you need to versions of the arena maps?

In the beta, there were 2 variations of each of the handcrafted maps. You had Eden/Empire and Truth/Regret. Mostly it was a visual change, but there was a good deal of map geometry shifted around as well.

Why would you need two versions of the arena maps?

The Beta showed this, we know at least some of the maps will have a remixed version. Truth and Regret, and Empire and Eden. They are similar maps, but some of the routes and map layout are changed up.

They had remixes of maps in the beta. For example "Truth" is midship and "Regret" is Essentially midship turned upside down with quite a few visual changes. It plays a lot differently.
Remixes? or Remix? Was it just that one alternate, or is there reason to think that's their idea across the board?

Edit: And in the time it took me to write this post I see several answers :) Well, the plot thickens I guess.

Bsigg12

Remixes? or Remix? Was it just that one alternate, or is there reason to think that's their idea across the board?

They're going to have map remixes, but it hasn't been said how many. So far we've 2 maps with a remix for each map, not counting the 2 forge maps, in the beta. I'm guessing this will be covered on Monday when they talk multiplayer plans.

They're going to have map remixes, but it hasn't been said how many. So far we've 2 maps with a remix for each map, not counting the 2 forge maps, in the beta. I'm guessing this will be covered on Monday when they talk multiplayer plans.

Were Trench and Crossfire remixes? There's probably going to be at least 3-4 Breakout maps.

RSB

Banned
Ive been replaying Halo 3's campaign, and I just love how ambitious it is. I forgot how great the enemy encounters were, and how big the sandbox is to play in. Im really hoping that they get back to those gameplay roots, and skip the ugly corridors of "push this glowing button" of halo 4..
Yeah, the Halo 3 campaign is amazing. Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Ark and The Covenant have some of the best battles in the history of FPS. I really hope Halo 5 encounter design goes in that direction. It would also make sense, in a way, since Halo 4 was more in the vein of Halo 2 and its more linear level design. Odd numbered Halo games are all about big open battles, you can't break that tradition 343.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
So when they say 20 maps, they are probably counting the 2 versions of midship etc. I wonder if that means only really 10 maps

Just as an aside, the newer video they put up, I believe it was Josh Holmes who said at at least 20 maps, with 15 plus maps coming later as free DLC. In other words, a total of 36 maps minimum, not necessarily total.

Just as an aside, the newer video they put up, I believe it was Josh Holmes who said at at least 20 maps, with 15 plus maps coming later as free DLC. In other words, a total of 36 maps minimum, not necessarily total.

And that's not including Forge maps they might implement into MP.

We could be seeing 40 plus maps and probably more

Madness

20 maps may end up being not much at all if they're counting over all the game modes. 3-4 Breakout only maps, some maps for only the new mode of gameplay etc. Coupled with Forge and remix versions, it could end up feeling limited. There's a long time between October 2015 and June 2016 even if the maps are free. Have to see. Kind of been spoiled having all maps available in MCC, even if only a few get picked.

Welfare

20 maps may end up being not much at all if they're counting over all the game modes. 3-4 Breakout only maps, some maps for only the new mode of gameplay etc. Coupled with Forge and remix versions, it could end up feeling limited. There's a long time between October 2015 and June 2016 even if the maps are free. Have to see. Kind of been spoiled having all maps available in MCC, even if only a few get picked.

Within 7 months of release everyone will have 35+ maps to use.

Only MCC can say it can do that, but that's a collection. What other AAA title has that many maps all of the community can play on within the first year?

Within 7 months of release everyone will have 35+ maps to use.

Only MCC can say it can do that, but that's a collection. What other AAA title has that many maps all of the community can play on within the first year?

We talkin' just official, or does community made count?

nib95

Banned
Maybe halo 6 will be like the halo 4 jump in gfx we've been waiting for. All at 60fps

I reckon you're right on that one. But I did feel Halo 4 was less large scale and/or sandboxy compared to Halo 3, so some of the difference might have come from differences in design and scope, as well as improvements in optimisations and tools.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Wow, that's an awesome quality over there! Pratically the same thing as the quality of the game itself running from my Xbox.

I've seen even higher quality before, there was once like a minute video that was over 1.5 GB.

Keep an eye on that page during E3.

Yeah, the Halo 3 campaign is amazing. Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Ark and The Covenant have some of the best battles in the history of FPS. I really hope Halo 5 encounter design goes in that direction. It would also make sense, in a way, since Halo 4 was more in the vein of Halo 2 and its more linear level design. Odd numbered Halo games are all about big open battles, you can't break that tradition 343.
Well I hope your theory is correct haha..I just love Halo 3's sandbox. Halo 5 really needs to adopt its "skirmish" battle design. Big open valleys, deserts, tundras, etc to explore and fight squads of enemies. I love how the brutes take command of the smaller enemies, telling them to throw grenades, move to cover, etc. Im hoping the squad command A.I in 5 also gets used by the enemies, i.e storm elites giving attack orders to grunts, jackals, and others. If Halo 3 can do it, I have high hopes for 5!

TheXbox

This is kinda where I'm at. With their (presumed) emphasis on BTB this year, I can't imagine we'll get more than a handful of unique Arena maps. I haven't played the beta so I don't know how those remixes shake out, but unless they look and feel like totally different maps then they shouldn't be counted.

Can't complain about free DLC either, but again, half of those might be remixes, and a couple might be Forge maps, so the number might be inflated. Hopefully 343 addresses this at some point. It's not a super big deal or anything as long as the maps are good, but it would be nice to know.

Ok this one outdoor shot with Spartan Locke looks really amazing.

This Space Station Screenshots dont look that special. Outdoor lighting is probably going to look very amazing.

The Space Station shots do look amazing, but it's very easy to misjudge just how much so. Take a look at the guns in particular. Halo 5's lighting looks pretty damn good.

The Space Station shots do look amazing, but it's very easy to misjudge just how much so. Take a look at the guns in particular. Halo 5's lighting looks pretty damn good.

A picture taken from video will always look worse than the native gameplay on your screen. I don't remember if it was in this thread or the other Halo one, but FordGTGuy did a pretty rad example with a Forza Horizon 2 still. We'll really just have to wait for their E3 stuff to see what it looks like.

Leyasu

Banned

I'm all for map remixes if they done like they was in the beta

watership

Stinkles, are you guys gonna talk estimated length of the campaign on Monday? I'm really hoping for a good, meaty story.

Please. This. I know it's uncharacteristic for a FPS to have a long campaign these days, but if you told me It was a 15 hour story experience I'd buy a copy of this game for everyone I knew.

I'm fine with it only looking like Halo 4.5 in terms of graphics. The jump to 60fps is much more important, and it being a hopefully great game matters the most.

I hope BTB is much bigger in scope than previous games, as that will be where i spend most of my time rather than Arena.

Halo's version of Battlefield with hopefully min 32 players would be ideal for me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
They doing sprint again? omg yessssss

btw we getting new info from game informer today?

jelly

60fps is nice but if there isn't great game play and encounters then I don't care if it's 120fps. I'm happy with Halo 5 focusing on the fun rather than pushing more effects and fps.

Son of Zardoz

Neo Member
Stinkles, I love you. I can't wait for Monday. I loved Halo 4 as much as CE (after CE my Halo love started to drop off--it was pretty low by the time 3 rolled around). That being said I cannot wait to play this.

I.

am.

excite.

Top Bottom