• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 - Game Informer details

rokkerkory

If someone told me this was a Halo 4 screenshot.

naamloos3f8kg3.png

I wouldn't doubt them for a second.

Captured from a video right?

The beta (as an unfinished product) looked good to me. I can't personally say I care in the slightest for 60fps but I respect that 343 wanted to do it. I think it looks good, I can't wait to see more at E3 and to play it later this year

singhr1

Captured from a video right?

Yeah or the magazine scans. Nonetheless, for how little Halo 5 has changed artistically, the elite's armor textures are sooooo much better than 4's. Elites up close were ugly.

Let's wait until we get actual gameplay footage from either E3 or GI before making more concrete assertions even if initial impressions show little change since the beta.

Yes, which is making every comment about it incredibly silly.

This is a screen capture of Forza Horizon 2 in 1080p on Youtube.

a1ox4BR.jpg

Anyone want to try and say the actual game looks like this?

I for one believe the game actually looks like this

If I close my eyes and pretend, or I've lost my mind

Madness

This literally reminds me of Halo 3 doesn't look better than Halo 2, it's only 640p, etc. Halo 5 will be a looker for sure. Look what they did with Halo 4. Halo 5 will be 60 fps in campaign. By default it's better than the past games which would hit 20 frames or less at times, especially in Reach or Halo 4.

I'm more pissed at the fact they're testing out weapons and new features in the Halo 5 beta and letting these asshole leakers test rather than me lol. I'd sign any NDA if I could try out the new DMR, play the beta again.

abadguy

Banned
This literally reminds me of Halo 3 doesn't look better than Halo 2, it's only 620p, etc. Halo 5 will be a looker for sure. Look what they did with Halo 4.

I'm more pissed at the fact they're testing out weapons and new features in the Halo 5 beta and letting these asshole leakers test rather than me lol. I'd sign any NDA if I could try out the new DMR, play the beta again.

Same here, and i wouldn't be leaking shit. I'd be too busy playing it.

Elites are canonically up to almost 9 feet tall

Reach image:

Halo_Reach_Biped_Comparison.png

Not just the height but the sheer bulk of it. Makes most Elites look skinny in comparison.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Except this game is running at a higher resolution and 60fps, and it is also coming relatively early in the generation. If Halo 4 could look this good in some screenshots is more of a testament to how much effort was put into it. Fuck, Halo 4 on the MCC is possibly the best looking FPS on the console.

and yet there are other games on xbone that run at higher resolution and came even earlier and still look better than last generation games

FordGTGuy

Banned
and yet there are other games on xbone that run at higher resolution and came even earlier and still look better than last generation games

Dude honestly?

You're making yourself look incredibly silly, this is unfinished code.

These are images that were put into a video and then capped from the video.

Did you even pay attention to my above post?

Gestault

Good thing there's not an event a few days from now where they'll be presenting campaign gameplay. Really, it's best to insist on a reaction based on still images taken from a video of still images.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Good thing there's not an event a few days from now where they'll be presenting campaign gameplay. Really, it's best to insist on a reaction based on still images taken from a video of still images.

well okay, when the final game doesn't look substantially different i'm sure y'all will praise its subtle beauty

Yep, art style is very similar.

I have the feeling this game will be 720p/60FPS

Honestly, if they pull that off and only update the graphics a little, I'll be happy. Make it pretty or make it smooth, just do one really well.

well okay, when the final game doesn't look substantially different i'm sure y'all will praise its subtle beauty

No matter what happens at E3, this thread is going to be absolutely hilarious afterwards.

I have the feeling this game will be 720p/60FPS
That would be disappointing. Still holding out for a gorgeous game at 900p/60fps.

I still have trauma from jaggies in previous Halo games. But if they have some secret space magic to keep the IQ up at a smooth locked framerate I won't care about the actual numbers.

I'm just not digging the campaign art style too much. It doesn't look much different than the first level of Halo 4. I'm sure it'll look better with native 60 FPS and stuff but i definitely prefer the more saturated look of the MP.

Honestly, looking like Halo 4 isn't such a bad thing, IMO. Game's damn pretty on the 'Bone, and maintaining a consistent "look" isn't a bad thing for a series (yes, I know, 343 changed a ton of stuff when they took over from Bungie, but maintaining consistency in the new style isn't such a bad thing either). The screens aren't melting my face, but they sure don't look bad either. Hoping that being a little less ambitious visually translates to more resources in other areas.

0racle

Halo is halo, it will sell regardless of how it looks. It would get more flak from poor performance vs poor graphics

Doffen

Yes, which is making every comment about it incredibly silly.

This is a screen capture of Forza Horizon 2 in 1080p on Youtube.

a1ox4BR.jpg

Anyone want to try and say the actual game looks like this?

The difference is that it's a capture from a still photo from a video, while your picture is a capture from a video.

Very dissapointed you have to be GOLD to play sp coop, I could have tolerated no splitscreen but now it just feels like a straight downgrade from old games, halo keeps getting features axed...

very worried about this and the route 343i is taking, no gold for coop please...

Kssio_Aug

The fact that 343i is keeping their intention to deliver a 60fps game instead a 30fps better looking, is, imo, very interesting.

I want it to be an awesome game to play, and if they're going to that direction then I believe theyre very interested in deliver the best gameplay they can deliver. These days where every AAA title has to look better then it plays to call everyone attention sucks, and Im just glad that 343i is taking a different approach.

I mean.. Im sure they could still deliver an awesome game at 30fps, but being 60fps just means that gameplay is their main focus!

Halo is halo
Not anymore. Halo 4 marked the beginning of Halo being a stunningly sexy looker with insane production values. Halo 5 is also adding 60fps to the mix.

Previous games were a real mix of visual ups and downs, and at least for my eyes most of their last gen stuff felt dated, even with the nice lighting engine in Halo 3 - the animations and faces and IQ had problems. But those games had a scale that Halo 4 seemed to shy away from to produce that eye candy on the 360.

Madness

Geezus fuck, the game is going to blow Halo 4 out of the water. Do you want to go back to 20-30 fps like Reach and Halo 4? Am I the only one acknowledging it is 60 fps? Obviously there are trade offs when you try to maintain 60fps. It's more about game play than strict numbers. Case in point Halo 3. It's literally deja vu again. The same comments. It's not HD or 720p, it barely looks better than Halo 2, blah blah.

I could never work in this industry. I'd literally be slamming my head on my desk a majority of the day reading what gamers talk about these days.

Honestly, looking like Halo 4 isn't such a bad thing, IMO. Game's damn pretty on the 'Bone, and maintaining a consistent "look" isn't a bad thing for a series (yes, I know, 343 changed a ton of stuff when they took over from Bungie, but maintaining consistency in the new style isn't such a bad thing either). The screens aren't melting my face, but they sure don't look bad either. Hoping that being a little less ambitious visually translates to more resources in other areas.
The game doesn't look 'bad' at all, it looks fine to me actually, I'm more interested in the story, it's just that most are expecting a tangible boost in presentation given it's being built specifically for a console with a 1.3TF GPU, 8GB ram, etc. as opposed to the 360. Even at 60FPS, the Xbox One's monumentally more powerful, hopefully it shows come launch.

FordGTGuy

Banned
The game doesn't look 'bad' at all, it looks fine to me actually, I'm more interested in the story, it's just that most are expecting a tangible boost in presentation given it's being built specifically for a console with a 1.3TF GPU, 8GB ram, etc. as opposed to the 360. Even at 60FPS, the Xbox One's monumentally more powerful, hopefully it shows come launch.

We're saying that basing graphics on pictures that were put into a video and then captured from that video and uploaded to a website is an extremely poor way to judge how a game looks.

You know just as well as me that Youtube has done no favors to this generation.

Horizon 2 might as well be a Xbox 360 game as far as Youtube kills the quality.

abadguy

Banned
Feels like 2007, whoa.

Tell me about it.

Geezus fuck, the game is going to blow Halo 4 out of the water. Do you want to go back to 20-30 fps like Reach and Halo 4? Am I the only one acknowledging it is 60 fps? Obviously there are trade offs when you try to maintain 60fps. It's more about game play than strict numbers. Case in point Halo 3. It's literally deja vu again. The same comments. It's not HD or 720p, it barely looks better than Halo 2, blah blah.

I could never work in this industry. I'd literally be slamming my head on my desk a majority of the day reading what gamers talk about these days.

I would NEVER go to forums if i was a dev. The ones who do have either zen like patience or they are some sort of masochists.

What was up with '07? I was a bit too much of a wee lad to be following the news back then.
It's just that we were having similar arguments about Halo 3 and it's graphics.

Top Bottom