• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 - Game Informer details

Biggzy

Right...yet 3rd party games are 99.9999999% the same and Ryse is still one of the best looking console games. The Order is the best, but come on...ain't that bad

Come on now, they are not usually the same, as the xbox versions normally have lower native resolution. The games tend not to be vastly different but a difference is normally there. Back to Halo 5, I just hope they can lock that frame rate as it did fluctuate during the beta.

Come on now, they are not usually the same, as the xbox versions normally have lower native resolution. The games tend not to be vastly different but a difference is normally there. Back to Halo 5, I just hope they can lock that frame rate as it did fluctuate during the beta.

Both consoles are disappointing in terms of power IMO. Back on topic?

Biggzy

Both consoles are disappointing in terms of power IMO. Back on topic?

I actually think the GPU in the PS4 was just about the best we could have hoped for actually. It is the processors in both consoles I am disappointed with - they are not a generational leap from what we got in the last generation.

I actually think the GPU in the PS4 was just about the best we could have hoped for actually. It is the processors in both consoles I am disappointed with - they are not a generational leap from what we got in the last generation.

LOL NO.

Both consoles should've had HD 7900 GPUs if sticking with AMD.

I'm disappointed in the power of both consoles, but I stand by my statement. So far, games look near identical. One version is a tad crisper and one version might have less dips in framerate. Not that big of a gap.

I dunno, i still havent played a game that really wowed me on either console. And i mean in general, not just GFX. Gameplay too. Then i pop in MCC, play some Halo4 and i find the game holds up really well with most current gen games....

Bsigg12

Stinkles, are you guys gonna talk estimated length of the campaign on Monday? I'm really hoping for a good, meaty story.

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but do you believe that Blue Team came from Escalation? Cause they're from all the way back to the Fall of Reach novel. Unless your talking about their sort of re-introduction?

Yes, but Escalation was the first time we were visually introduced to them, unless you count Halo Legends.. :x

Lingitiz

Stinkles, are you guys gonna talk estimated length of the campaign on Monday? I'm really hoping for a good, meaty story.

Curious about this too. I'm hoping for a substantial campaign this time with the dual perspectives and all the characters they need to develop.

Halo 4 was extremely short. In fact they've all been short since 2.

Gestault

Curious about this too. I'm hoping for a substantial campaign this time with the dual perspectives and all the characters they need to develop.

Halo 4 was extremely short. In fact they've all been short since 2.

I don't think I'd say Halo 3, Reach or 4 were short, on anything except an easy mode run. Like, on a factual level, I think most of the games you mentioned were longer than Halo 1.

Leyasu

Banned
Ok quickie before bed ;-)

What books should I read in preparation? The last halo book I read was the ghosts of onyx.

Lingitiz

I don't think I'd say Halo 3, Reach or 4 were short, on anything except an easy mode run. Like, on a factual level, I think most of the games you mentioned were longer than Halo 1.

Halo 3 was about a 4 hour game but it was pretty variable because of the nature of the encounters. I don't really recall the length of 4. I think more importantly though it's just really hard to develop characters in a campaign anything shorter than 6 or 7 hours.

Biggzy

Hope 4 person squads means huge battles and emphasis on exploration. I feel Halo 4 lacked some of that.

I completely concur with you, and from the information we have been getting it does seem like we might be getting bigger sandboxes to play with.

Madness

People actually think it won't be better than Halo 4? I think it's a compliment the game looks very much like Halo 4. That means Halo 4 literally pushed the hardware to the max and looked like current gen, especially on MCC at 1080p.

But come on, the hardware is so superior to Xbox 360, it's no contest and won't be. Just the fact it's 60 fps shows it'll be better. No more sub-20 frame slogs like Reach or Halo 4. 343 is going to push the visuals as best they can. I know I'll be blown away.

Who?!

Neo Member
Im really bummed out that local co-op has been removed. I´ve played through every halo campaign with my friend, eating snacks and having fun. I know there is online co-op but its not the same :/

Mythologian

Neo Member

What books should I read in preparation? The last halo book I read was the ghosts of onyx.

Definitely the Forerunner novels (Cryptium, Primordium, Silentium.)
Fall of Reach if you haven't already.
New Blood (insight to ODST squad and Buck)
Hunters in the Dark is being released next week, you'll want to pick this up. Same with Last Light, September 7th.
Not imperative, but I'm sure Saint's Testimony will be an interesting read. It's written by the man himself.

You could also give the Kilo-Five trilogy a read, but they are hit-and-miss.

Madness

No, while the SIV armor is newer and higher tech, and would give an SIV a fighting chance against a Spartan II, ten Spartan IVs would obviously make short work of one Spartan II. HOWEVER, out of armor, you're basically looking at ten elite level athletes fighting a near-supernatural monster. Chief killed ODSTs BY ACCIDENT when he was a teenager, in a fist fight.

How about 4 armored Spartan-II's vs 4 armored Spartan-IV's ;)

TheOddOne

Oh, look! (From Gameinformer's second video)

naamloos2aju3.png

naamloos1ifjdl.png

naamloos2cok38.png

naamloos3f8kg3.png

naamloos46skhn.png

naamloos5m5jdv.png

naamloos6clktk.png

naamloos70qkxr.png

naamloos8lokpd.png

naamloos99mkah.png

naamloos1ifjdl.png

Karl2177

Because we can explain complex nuanced things in print that would be lost, distorted or deliberately misrepresented from e3 chaos. And GI doesn't have any of the E3 materials so you will get to double dip on fresh info.

The print stuff makes sense. I already know the answer, but why through GameInformer versus through halowaypoint.com? Having your own team of writers seems like it would cause less confusion than another person's writing. Example being the revive stuff; when I read the article revives remind me of Destiny, and there's nothing in the writer's style to make me think that it is any different, whereas in-house media could easily solve that.

I'm also not a fan of having to go through a third (paid!) party to gain information on a product. Yeah, I know it's only a month of exclusivity, but it still annoys me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The print stuff makes sense. I already know the answer, but why through GameInformer versus through halowaypoint.com? Having your own team of writers seems like it would cause less confusion than another person's writing. Example being the revive stuff; when I read the article revives remind me of Destiny, and there's nothing in the writer's style to make me think that it is any different, whereas in-house media could easily solve that.

I'm also not a fan of having to go through a third (paid!) party to gain information on a product. Yeah, I know it's only a month of exclusivity, but it still annoys me.

Game Informer, apart from being great at big features, is also in every single Gamestop. So it's a great way to reach hardcore players, oddly enough.

I do wonder at what point in the story will Chief and blue team get Mark VII armor, Naomi is the only Spartan 2 equipped with with it ATM so it only makes sense that they'd get it as well.

Unless they find Halsey and she creates new armor for them but who knows lol

abadguy

Banned
343 will make the graphics as best as they can.... Its the fucking dogshit xbone which is the problem.

Jesus its a fucking donkey! What the hell where they thinking??

Funny how Ryse , Forza Horizon and Quantum Break are able to look as good as they do on such a "dogshit" console.

Kalentan

The Forerunner Trilogy by Greg Bear
Kilo-Five Trilogy by Karen Traviss (though is a hit-or-miss, I personally liked them as flawed as they were.)
New Blood (Shows Buck post-Halo 3) digital novel which you can get for cheap on Amazon.
Hunters in the Dark (releases next week) which we see the return of the Ark post Halo 3 and introduction of the red Spartan on Locke's team.

I would also try and get caught up with the Halo comic: Escalation. Since similar to Hunt the Truth, it's one of the more 'up to date' lore happenings.

If you don't want to read them though, the comics that is. You could check out the Halo canon channel on youtube. I haven't watched all of his Escalation videos but he's pretty good at giving a clear overview.

I do wonder at what point in the story will Chief and blue team get Mark VII armor, Naomi is the only Spartan 2 equipped with with it ATM so it only makes sense that they'd get it as well.

Unless they find Halsey and she creates new armor for them but who knows lol

Huh? Mark VII was the first of the [GEN 2] armor, which I believe is now just under the umbrella of [GEN 2] rather than Mark VII and is the standard issue armor that all Spartans use as of 2558.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
that's how i feel about all of the screens in this thread, eek a bit

Except this game is running at a higher resolution and 60fps, and it is also coming relatively early in the generation. If Halo 4 could look this good in some screenshots is more of a testament to how much effort was put into it. Fuck, Halo 4 on the MCC is possibly the best looking FPS on the console.

JackHerer

People saying that it looks a lot like Halo 4... Well yeah, I kind of agree but at the same time this pleases me a bit. After Halo 4 I thought to myself: I would be satisfied if they kept the graphics pretty much as they are now and focus instead on gameplay and creating bigger, more interesting environments and better AI. It looks like they are doing exactly that. Oh yeah and 60 fps....

With that in mind, Halo 5 is sounding (and looking) pretty good to me.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Except this game is running at a higher resolution and 60fps, and it is also coming relatively early in the generation. If Halo 4 could look this good in some screenshots is more of a testament to how much effort was put into it. Fuck, Halo 4 on the MCC is possibly the best looking FPS on the console.

No need to defend this game, if these guys want to judge a game in development based on video captures... well that's their own fault.

Solidsoul

Banned
People saying that it looks a lot like Halo 4... Well yeah I kind of agree but at the same time this pleases me a bit. After Halo 4 I thought to myself: I would be satisfied if they kept the graphics pretty much as they are now and focus instead on gameplay and creating bigger, more interesting environments and better AI. It looks like they are doing exactly that. Oh yeah and 60 fps....

With that in mind, Halo 5 is sounding (and looking) pretty good to me.

I completely agree with this. I loved the aesthetic and graphics of Halo 4. Definitely best in series (If you don't count Halo 2 anniversary campaigns graphics that is) and I too prefer they keep this fidelity through Halo 5 and future Halo's.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Didn't advanced warfare did dynamic 1080p/60fps. That was pretty solid. I think 343 might pull something on that line.

abadguy

Banned
Is that Elite in that pic facing down Blue Team just wearing really bulky armor or is he just that big? Because that is a big fucking Elite. Shit.

Top Bottom