• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Subtly beautiful"

Rlan

"Subtly beautiful"..

This line has being thrown around lately describing the graphics in Halo 3, where the game doesn't particularly grab you as being next gen until you realise the shit going on in the background. I haven't played Halo 3 yet [Xbox 360 is dead woo!] but to me it sounds more like a PR excuse for certain areas not looking up to snuff against other games, but as I said, not played yet :)

Either way, I was trying to think of other games that could be considered "Subtly beautiful", and I can't really think of anything. I'm thinking MAYBE Half Life 2 since it's not really sporting any crazy-ass bump mapping or major lighting [until Ep1 at least], it's just sporting good graphic design, textures and models.

What games would you consider "Subtly beautiful"? Graphics are generally straight in-your-face to blow you away, do any older games have subtle beauty?

The visuals in the damn are excellent. I really don't get negativity. Few games have the sheer amount of shaders going on that Halo 3 does on every polygonal surface. Gears doesn't even have as much per surface.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Wind Waker. I think it's taken this long for a lot of people to realise how great that game looks, because at first it is "lol Celda" and it takes a while for all the neat things about it to sink in.

Ico's beauty is subtle. And not just graphically.

Aleman

Some people are just incredibly jaded re. Halo 3. Next time you're playing, note the huge scale of things, then walk up close to a wall texture and be amazed at the detail. **edit: Gears of What? Seriously, Halo 3 is overall more visually impressive than Gears to me.

But on topic, Shadow of the Colossus (sp?) comes to mind... the graphics are pretty muddy but the scale of the bosses and overall atmosphere more than make up for it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I agree about Wind Waker. There's a reason why I want the next console Zelda to look like that.

Yoboman

I find Halo 3 to be subtly beautiful because of its use of colours and fantastic lighting. It really makes the whole game, I don't see how anyone could say it's "not" next gen.

Threi

notag
I would say Half Life 2 and Bioshock.

At face value you would think its just your typical realistic shooter, but because they are conservative in their shader use, it has a beautiful look to it.

Also unless something goes horribly wrong i will say NiGHTS Wii as well. I don't think i have seen the TEV being utilized very much in the game (aside from the water i guess), and yet it still looks beautiful.

fresquito

Wind Waker is not subtly beautiful. The game is simply gorgeous.

ACWW on the DS on the other hand is subtly beautifull. Sure, overall it's not very impressive, but when you realise the splash of water works in different ways (there're three or four different splashes), the detail of the furniture and clothes, and so many details like those, you realise the game can be beautiful at times.

Kyoufu

Lé Blade Runner said:
Tonight I will find out about Halo 3.

But yes, I agree that Wind Waker looks exceptional. The best use of Cel-shaded graphics I have seen, period.

Okami looks much better IMO.

Wind Waker. It's not that it doesn't look great in screenshots but when everything comes together in motion it looks beautiful without really doing much.

OnPoint

pong.png

Elegant.

Beautiful.

Pong.

meppi

So people are actually trolling Halo 3's graphics?

Wow, talk about being pathetic and grasping at straws.

Sure, I haven't played the game myself, and probably won't for the foreseeable future.
But from the movies I've seen it sure looks sweet.

I guess when someone want to complain they will find a way, no matter how retarded.

karasu

I don't think there's anything subtle about the beauty in games like Windwaker or SOTC. Those games are so stylistically rich and distinct that there's no way you could miss the strength of their visuals.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so, it's not a beautiful game in the traditional sense, but when i was regularly playing animal crossing there were days when i'd turn it on, walk out of my house to this gloomy day with rain coming down, see some big blue elephant walk by with an umbrella, and think it was a pretty darn good looking game. maybe it was the combination of the music, the act of playing it on consecutive days and seeing everything change, or something--but i'd qualify those moments as "beautiful" (though saying so sounds awfully cheesy)

Jeff-DSA

Kyoufu said:
I'm sure it won't be if it gets a port to Wii. Nintendo fanboys will say it looks even better.

But you're right. Until then, its blasphemy.

Don't be an ass. Stick the two games side by side and open your eyes. If you're going to toss the fanboy card about, you may want to check yourself first.

PnCIa

meppi said:
Saying something negative about a major franchise in here is always considered trolling...why? If the argument is valid and well thought out it adds much more to the discussion than most of those "omfg I´ve got game11!!!!" posts.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Kyoufu said:
I'm sure it won't be if it gets a port to Wii. Nintendo fanboys will say it looks even better.

But you're right. Until then, its blasphemy.

No, even then it's Apples and Oranges. Cel Shading vs Brushy Inkyness?

They are both beautiful in their own right, but I don't think it's completely fair to directly compare them, their styles are directly opposed despite sharing a few techniques.

I think.

meppi

PnCIa said:
Saying something negative about a major franchise in here is always considered trolling...why?
It wasn't a statement. It's an actual question.

I haven't been following the Halo chatter, but I have seen several videos.
This is the first I heard about the game being bashed by some due to it's visuals.
It just isn't a valid point from what I've seen.

Later in the game, it starts to look less normal mappy* (*just made that up) and more painterly. What I mean is, in the beginning cut scene for the 7th stage (IIRC) it almost looks like a pretty concept painting, but the camera starts to move and you start to see aliasing on the polygon edges and you go "wow, that's the game!".

The only things about the graphics that I'd complain about (minor quibbles) are the aliasing and the same checker pattern fading in of distant objects (although much less degree) as in Halo 2. Other than those small foibles, I am quite impressed with the graphics.

Kabouter

Rlan said:
Either way, I was trying to think of other games that could be considered "Subtly beautiful", and I can't really think of anything. I'm thinking MAYBE Half Life 2 since it's not really sporting any crazy-ass bump mapping or major lighting [until Ep1 at least], it's just sporting good graphic design, textures and models.
Was just gonna say, HL2: Episode One still floors me, chapter one looks absolutely incredible.

'Subtle' is a word that does not crop up often in the discussion of video games - and this goes double for the visual side of things.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 3 is beautiful. Referring to it as "subtly beautiful" is easily one of the stupidest things to come from 1up/EGM. I don't get the HD comment either.

Yoboman

One thing I have to mention, act 5 spoilers:

The flood look TERRRRRRRIBLE /garnett. They look like those original Silent Hill Origins designs. Yes, that bad.

Tain

I'm still torn on Halo 3's visuals.

No matter how I look at it, it's a step up from the "Halo 2 in hi-def" impressions that I initially had. There are moments when it absolutely shines. I wouldn't put it over Gears, though.

Yoboman said:
One thing I have to mention, act 5 spoilers:

The flood look TERRRRRRRIBLE /garnett. They look like those original Silent Hill Origins designs. Yes, that bad.
Is this your first Halo game or something? Flood looks like they always have, just now with more details and appendages. :lol

Cdammen

Kyoufu said:
Okami looks much better IMO.
Totally different styles but both really beautiful.

I would say Pikmin. It's kinda blocky in certain areas, the textures aren't über and the animation isn't top notch. But the lightning and charismatic design makes my jaw drop every time.

And yeah, Half-Life 2 is the most obvious choice.

tha_con

Banned
Rlan said:
"Subtly beautiful"..

This line has being thrown around lately describing the graphics in Halo 3, where the game doesn't particularly grab you as being next gen until you realise the shit going on in the background. I haven't played Halo 3 yet [Xbox 360 is dead woo!] but to me it sounds more like a PR excuse for certain areas not looking up to snuff against other games, but as I said, not played yet :)

What games would you consider "Subtly beautiful"? Graphics are generally straight in-your-face to blow you away, do any older games have subtle beauty?

I think it's a crock of shit personally. It' boils down to the hype and justification. I love Halo 3, but let's be honest, even Resistnace has the same, if not more, going on in the BG, when it came to birds, plans, foliage, explosions, tons of enemies, etc. But that game was 'ugly'.

Racthet and Clank took it a step further, but still it's just 'decent' to some.

Halo 3 looks marvelous, and I think we're simply EXPECTING too much from games. Some games will look great, others will play great. It's just the way things will be this generation.

Yoboman

Shogmaster said:
Is this your first Halo game or something? Flood looks like they always have, just now with more details and appendages. :lol
I know, its just that they're so bad, and everything else looks so much better now. :(

Orodreth

McBradders said:
Wind Waker. I think it's taken this long for a lot of people to realise how great that game looks, because at first it is "lol Celda" and it takes a while for all the neat things about it to sink in.

Ico's beauty is subtle. And not just graphically.

Agree. Both WW and Ico and Colossus.

Ico and colossus specially have choppy frame rate, some ugly textures here and there, some popin/LOD, some not very good animations, but everything else is just so beautiful, from the fur and scale of the colosus to the amazing waterfalls, the impressive lightning...

I played them recently, like 2 months ago and even with the limitations they are still much more beautifull than a lot of "next-gen" titles.

VonGak!

Banned
meppi said:

Wow, talk about being pathetic and grasping at straws.

Sure, I haven't played the game myself, and probably won't for the foreseeable future.
But from the movies I've seen it sure looks sweet.

I guess when someone want to complain they will find a way, no matter how retarded.

Trolling? No just reminding hardcore bots of their double standards when they crusade PS3 threads trolling games with technically superior graphics.

NB: I'm not defending those who enter the Halo3 threads to troll the graphics as a part of their sad console war agenda.

Yoboman

VonGak! said:
Trolling? No just reminding hardcore bots of their double standards when they crusade PS3 threads trolling games with technically superior graphics.

NB: I'm not defending those who enter the Halo3 threads to troll the graphics as a part of their sad console war agenda.
Two wrongs proves to make a right, once again!

Top Bottom