• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Subtly beautiful"

favouriteflavour said:
Thats cool, just saying what i like about halo. You are right about the fact that its not exactly the greatest story ever but its pretty good, especially for a FPS.

The whole hype is part of the fun too. Like people going to console launches or the midnight screenings of the new star wars movies. People enjoy an event they can be apart of. Just run with it and try to have fun with it.

I don't care for the Halo franchise, and I don't know about you, but I buy games to play and enjoy them. I can't see a single aspect that makes the game worthy of the ridiculous hype, neither story, or graphics/sound or gameplay, it's yet another FPS with nothing new to offer.

It has resonated pretty well with the american audience, whether it's due to it linking with their military ideals or because it's easier to identify with a masked man in an armor. Whatever the case, the hype makes the game "subtly beautiful", instead of mediocre looking.

DCharlie

Banned
I don't care for the Halo franchise, and I don't know about you, but I buy games to play and enjoy them. I can't see a single aspect that makes the game worthy of the ridiculous hype, neither story, or graphics/sound or gameplay, it's yet another FPS with nothing new to offer.

It didn`t offer anything new, but it was very well executed. The big reason it potentially caught on is that relative to PC FPS games, it`s fairly easy for a n00by to pick up and start playing multiplayer as the relative slower speed means you aren`t getting bumped off before you move all the time a la UT. The fact it is a console FPS that`s well executed then means those "4 to a TV" games are more likely.

Personally, i found the single AI and the gunplay to be excellent - better than almost anything i`d played up until that point. So it did have something to offer for me and it wasn`t just another FPS.

It has resonated pretty well with the american audience, whether it's due to it linking with their military ideals or because it's easier to identify with a masked man in an armor. Whatever the case, the hype makes the game "subtly beautiful", instead of mediocre looking.

what is the yard stick for mediocre looking? The Beta looked "alright" but i wouldn`t call it mediocre by a long stretch.

I`d say what made Halo popular was the multiplayer and the afformentioned easiness to play. It`s basically this gens Goldeneye and has nothing to do with the reasons you gave. People like it because of the fun they can have with their friends - and the fact they probably just happened to be in a dorm/house/whatever where someone had Halo 1.

Out of interest, how much of the games did you play?

And actually, just saw another of your posts, and sorry - i got to ask this because it`s been getting on my wick for a while with other people...

You like Resistance, but you dislike Halo? Come on now.... that`s going to need an explaination. I had several people i hang out with who are hardened Halo haters who loved Resistance. Now - i`m a Resistance fan too, but if you can enjoy resistance but think that Halo isn`t all that, then that is puzzling.

And an excellent one. Like other games that featured photo mode before it

And i mean - how long has this been going on? Snes / MD / Arcade screen shots in old magazines were take from screens adding a layer of FSAA! PS1 had some awesome bullshottery... Xbox / PS2... yeah, same again...

I can`t remember the last time we got "real" screen shots!...Zzap!64 and Crash? ;)

DCharlie said:
It didn`t offer anything new, but it was very well executed. The big reason it potentially caught on is that relative to PC FPS games, it`s fairly easy for a n00by to pick up and start playing multiplayer as the relative slower speed means you aren`t getting bumped off before you move all the time a la UT. The fact it is a console FPS that`s well executed then means those "4 to a TV" games are more likely.

Personally, i found the single AI and the gunplay to be excellent - better than almost anything i`d played up until that point. So it did have something to offer for me and it wasn`t just another FPS.

Haven't got an Xbox or Xbox360, so I've only had limited time with Halo 2 and 3. I'm not a fan of FPSs and I didn't see anything different from what I'm used in the genre, nor did the game play in any outstanding way. Maybe for the people that treat FPS like fighting games and measure rocket speed or laser accuracy or whatever it is an outstanding game, but I don't see anything about its execution exceptional.

what is the yard stick for mediocre looking? The Beta looked "alright" but i wouldn`t call it mediocre by a long stretch.

Mediocre means unexceptional. I don't think it looks bad, but it certainly doesn't look great so I call it mediocre...or subtly beautiful for the hyped ones.

I`d say what made Halo popular was the multiplayer and the afformentioned easiness to play. It`s basically this gens Goldeneye and has nothing to do with the reasons you gave. People like it because of the fun they can have with their friends - and the fact they probably just happened to be in a dorm/house/whatever where someone had Halo 1.

I don't think so. MP may be popular, but only a fraction the millions that buy Halo play online, a minority even. So, I ask again, why is it so popular?? The admitedly better than the average FPS story?? The big, testosterone ridden character?? The military Rambo appeal?? The marketing?? A good casual MP session at some guys home doesn't make a game the "biggest entertainment event of America".

And actually, just saw another of your posts, and sorry - i got to ask this because it`s been getting on my wick for a while with other people...

You like Resistance, but you dislike Halo? Come on now.... that`s going to need an explaination. I had several people i hang out with who are hardened Halo haters who loved Resistance. Now - i`m a Resistance fan too, but if you can enjoy resistance but think that Halo isn`t all that, then that is puzzling.

I enjoyed Resistance, true but to tell the truth I got it mostly because it was the best title for the PS3 at the time and wanted to see what the fuss was all about. It's a really good game, like Halo is, but I don't feel "OMG AWESOME!!!" about it. I usually play one or two FPS every year, so it was Resistance this year and the guns made it more interesting than the usual.

Halo's unwarranted hype does bother me, though. There's tons of other FPS games out there that are just as good and offer just as much. Jesus, the game is pretty damn short and the reviews didn't bother to dock points from the game. That's what hype buys you.

giga

bcn-ron said:
When you pause the game you enter photo mode and the quality (AA, texture filtering, shadows) gets bumped up beyond what you see during gameplay. You can pan around, save and, most importantly, share these images. Misrepresenting the game's graphics is now a full-fledged community feature. All these self-made images are going to make it hard to find an honest representation of the graphics. Fortunately, some people still care:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5180_en.html

It's kinda like Forza 2, though the quality difference isn't as drastic, and the whole dynamic with the car designs is missing.
I'll say that the AA gets a bit of a boost but everything else is exactly the same. Aliasing really isn't that large of a problem in the game--its just overplayed by haters as a "graphics-breaking" negative. :lol You hardly notice the few aliasing while you're moving around in the game.

So no, it's not a total misrepresentation.

dante786

Banned
Logan, I'm sure its not your intention but you're coming off in a really condescending fashion. The level of reception halo has received "bothers" you?? I understand not every game is for everyone, and you might genuinely be into halo, but that doesnt mean the people who do like it are wrong or suspect.

Its not "just another fps," the gunplay, controls, balancing, maps, and just about everything else are incredibly fine tuned and well done. The vehicular gameplay has yet to be matched by anything I've played in a console shooter by a damn sight. And you couldn't be more wrong about "It doesnt offer anything more than other fps'"

If you're a fan of FPS' it offers you a far more extensive package in terms of single player and multiplayer options than anything else on consoles.

Edit: On legendary the game is about 8-10 hours i would say for the average halo player, longer for casuals. I would hardly call that short, especially given the immense replayability and variety offered in the campaign. Now pile that on the incredibly extensive multiplayer mode, and I think you would be hard pressed to dock this game for anything relating to length of playtime or replay value.

giga

dante786 said:
Logan, I'm sure its not your intention but you're coming off in a really condescending fashion. The level of reception halo has received "bothers" you?? I understand not every game is for everyone, and you might genuinely be into halo, but that doesnt mean the people who do like it are wrong or suspect.

Its not "just another fps," the gunplay, controls, balancing, maps, and just about everything else are incredibly fine tuned and well done. The vehicular gameplay has yet to be matched by anything I've played in a console shooter by a damn sight. And you couldn't be more wrong about "It doesnt offer anything more than other fps'"

If you're a fan of FPS' it offers you a far more extensive package in terms of single player and multiplayer options than anything else on consoles.

Edit: On legendary the game is about 8-10 hours i would say for the average halo player, longer for casuals. I would hardly call that short, especially given the immense replayability and variety offered in the campaign. Now pile that on the incredibly extensive multiplayer mode, and I think you would be hard pressed to dock this game for anything relating to length of playtime or replay value.
Don't worry about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8004497&postcount=23893

Logan Cano said:

You sound like a pretentious dick hole who doesn't like it because you don't want to like it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
tehrik-e-insaaf said:
Wow, guess people don't even know what these words mean....

School system am fail....

Let's define for the people here who are quoting stuff without any idea:

1. Subtle :

a)So slight as to be difficult to detect or describe; elusive: a subtle smile.

b)Difficult to understand; abstruse: an argument whose subtle point was lost on her opponent.

c)Characterized by skill or ingenuity; clever.

d)Crafty or sly; devious.

e)Operating in a hidden, usually injurious way; insidious: a subtle poison.

2. Beauty :

a)The quality that gives pleasure to the mind or senses and is associated with such properties as harmony of form or color, excellence of artistry, truthfulness, and originality.

b)One that is beautiful, especially a beautiful woman.

c)A quality or feature that is most effective, gratifying, or telling: The beauty of the venture is that we stand to lose nothing.

d)An outstanding or conspicuous example: "Hammett's gun went off. The shot was a beauty, just slightly behind the eyes" (Lillian Hellman).

Now for Halo 3 having "subtle beauty in its graphics" - this could imply any of the following things, but all linked back to increasing sensations of the visual cortex:

1) The clever or ingenious use of graphical power to please the visual cortex, when one would not expect it. Saying the "scale" of the world is "subtle beauty" is incorrect, since one expects this with Halo 3.

2) Hidden or unapparent use of technology to create effects that please the visual cortex. Halo 3 can fit this category, as the use of different lights, bumps, anti-aliasing tricks, and overall mix of art and colors can create a world that is quiet pleasing as one walks around, but is not necessarily apparent when looking at screen shots

The second could definitely be true, though I also highly doubt it - seems to me like people are trying to come up with a story to justify Bungie re using their old engine. But that's just my opinion, and it's not like graphics are the reason why Halo is played in the first place, nor am I sure if they had spent time on the graphics, how much they could have really improved given the obvious limitations of the hardware in creating a huge world.

Now for people saying some of the following games having "subtle beauty" in the same notion as Halo 3 - you are missing the point. The point is that Halo 3 is substituting "actual" beauty for "subtle beauty" - none of the games people are mentioning are actually doing that since they are ACTUALLY beautiful, but have subtle touches to them that make them even better:

1) Wind Waker: Some parts of it are beautiful in a subtle way, for example the little explosions, the bright pastels that make the graphics very clean whereas people are used to rougher outlines. However the game overall IS beautiful, so saying it has "subtle beauty" is pointless since its a very beautiful game in the first place.

2) Metroid Prime: Once again, some parts of it are beautiful in a subtle way, like the heat effects, the polygonal doors, the gun effects, etc. However once again, the art is very beautiful, it is pointless to say it is beautiful in a subtle way, because the game is already beautiful.

3) Ico: Once again, there is some subtle beauty in some of the scenes and environments however the game is gorgeous, the art is very well done, and the transitions between areas are managed very well and just right. You can't say it substitutes subtle beauty for real beauty when that is clearly not the case.

4) SOTC: Same as ICO. The game is already gorgeous because of the art, you can see it from the beginning. when you walk in. This doesn't fit the example of Halo 3

All these games might fit the "Great Art that Hides Technical Flaws or Limitations" category, but definitely not the Halo 3 "Subtle Beauty"

Here are my choices for three games that might meet the Halo 3 defintion of "subtle beauty"

1) Star Wars Battlefront II: Technically the graphics, the player models, etc. are not very high-quality, but the overall crispness of the environments, the modeling on the key areas of the levels and the modeling of the vehicles and spaceships along with the damage modeling on the enemies makes this game have "subtle beauty" in my eyes similar to Halo 3 (and it isn't just a coincidence that they are both the same kind of game with large-scale wars).

2) BurnOut : Technically and artistically once again, you aren't breaking any records here or impressing people with your use of colors or themes. The game is a very typical racer with typically modeled environments and typically modelled cars. However, the "subtle beauty" part kicks in when you start racing in those environments, the motion blur, the elaborate detailing of the replays, the environmental physics that display a visual feast as events unfold on the track. The pyrotechnics really elevate the graphical experience and make it much more interesting than the basic time spent on the core graphics and models.

3) Fifa 2006 RTTWC: Technically and artistically, you expect a lot more. The field is very typical, the players look small and don't react all that realistically for the most part. It seems like a typical routine of running and stealing the ball and kicking it. The "subtle beauty" kicks in when the animations and ball movement occurs. The physics and the resulting impact on the graphics in terms of how quickly action changes and how smoothly the goal is kicked add beauty to the visuals, so that even when you aren't fully zoomed in, the game looks very nice.

Just my 2.. I mean 3 cents.
Please don't try to apply strict logic to my oppinion/perception.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Logan Cano said:

Thats cute, but as a liberal american who is probably a 3/6th gay, anti-violence and uninterested in FPS games... I'd say its a very pretty game that looks neat for people into that sorta' thing. Feel superior if you must... but you still have a HIM avatar:lol see you at the mall:lol

Logan Cano said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8004497&postcount=23893

dante786 said:

I don't mean it in that way, but it's similar to the people who were parading around at the launch of yet another bug ridden madden who were crazy about it. It's the...manufactured hype ,for the lack of a better phrase, that bothers me.

This is what I'm talking about. From a typical casual gamer's perspective, there's nothing exceptional about the game. I've played other FPSs with really good combat and guns, and Halo didn't feel any different. What's so much more fine tuned about it that I can't find in Resistance, Unreal Tournament, Half Life 2 or the countless other FPS out there??

Balancing? Maps? That's hardcore MP talk, and it's not really very important unless you are that serious and competitive about it. Are you seriously telling me the depth of a multiplayer mode that normal people hardly ever notice is the reason for such hype?? Or is it the "subtly beautiful" visuals?? Is the story such a revelation that makes it such an event??

Oh, I'm sure tougher difficulties add play time, but that's ridiculous, since when 9 hours is hardly short?? That kind of length is frowned upon nowadays and mysteriously Halo is immune from such criticism.

MP is fine, but it's a supplement, not the main game. Or that's what it should be, anyway.

Staccat0 said:
Thats cute, but as a liberal american who is probably a 3/6th gay, anti-violence and uninterested in FPS games... I'd say its a very pretty game that looks neat for people into that sorta' thing. Feel superior if you must... but you still have a HIM avatar:lol see you at the mall:lol

I know it's OT, but is HIM that popular in the US?? People over here are usually not familiar with the band at all.

Oh, and about that other guy, I haven't ever made fun of americans, at least not in an offensive way, so care to point me the post that proves otherwise??

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Logan Cano said:

I found that a little offensive. To say generalize that all Americans have military ideals is ignorant. Even when the war was popular it was by a fairly slim margin and many of them were simply misinformed. Furthermore countries like England and Austrailia facilitated the war in Iraq and many past wars.
I don't even want to know why you think americans identify more with masked protagonists than other countries.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Mega-patriot by any means, but no country should be judged by a president or a mislead public.

Oh, to answer the other questopn HIM is very popular with many 15 year olds who watched a lot of MTV stuff with Bam Margera in it... but why should that matter if you like it? Honestly, I was just being a dick about that, because you seemed like you were on a pretty high horse. Feel free to rip on Radiohead if you want, they are my favorite band.

Staccat0 said:
I found that a little offensive. To say generalize that all Americans have military ideals is ignorant. Even when the war was popular it was by a fairly slim margin and many of them were simply misinformed. Furthermore countries like England and Austrailia facilitated the war in Iraq and many past wars.
I don't even want to know why you think americans identify more with masked protagonists than other countries.

I didn't mean it that way. What I meant is that war is a part of the american daily life, and has been quite a while. It's part of your pop culture, movies, music, games, many of them have been created related to war, and just as many have been done to glorify their wars as the ones that criticize them.

I don't think I'm wrong in saying it's part of the american culture and I do believe they can relate more to war themed entertainment than other countries, especially when it paints them in a favorable fashion.

EDIT: As for the masked protagonist thing, I poorly tried to say that an abstract figure is more appealing to a demographic that has largely preferred to customize their characters rather than have predetermined ones. A big guy in an armor is a good compromise.

Oh, to answer the other questopn HIM is very popular with many 15 year olds who watched a lot of MTV stuff with Bam Margera in it... but why should that matter if you like it? Honestly, I was just being a dick about that, because you seemed like you were on a pretty high horse. Feel free to rip on Radiohead if you want, they are my favorite band.

Oh, I was just curious since it's the second or third time someone brought that up.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
_leech_ said:
On a related note, is anyone saying "Gears of what?" Oh Luke...

I normally have anywhere from five to ten people on my friends list playing Gears on a regular basis. Right now? None. 39 playing Halo 3 though.

giga

Gears should have been a rental for me. Single player is great sure, but then what? The broken MP?

Yeah. Gears of wha?

Quagm1r3

Any game with good art design can easily be called subtly beautiful. Bioshock would be subtly beautiful if its graphics weren't so bad ass :D

NG was subtly beautiful to me, not for the graphics (although they were good for their time), but for the fighting animations most of all. Not only were they good looking, but they made me feel like I was really hitting stuff. Sounds simple but it's things like those that make a game awesome.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Logan Cano said:
I didn't mean it that way. What I meant is that war is a part of the american daily life, and has been quite a while. It's part of your pop culture, movies, music, games, many of them have been created related to war, and just as many have been done to glorify their wars as the ones that criticize them.

I don't think I'm wrong in saying it's part of the american culture and I do believe people can relate to war themed entertainment, specially when it paints them in a favorable fashion.
Oh I see. I guess I misunderstood.
I don't know where your from so I can't say a lot about that. I'd only point out that no one says that about England who lives with nearly war as much as we do... and has its own share of wars to glorify/critisize. Is Killzone less "war centric" than Halo? Is Batallion Wars? I think thats a pretty universal theme. I think Americans love Halo for the same reasons the Japanese love the DS (I own two so I'm not flaming them here) because we live in the heart of the hype machine.
My bad.:lol
Oh, and seriously, I was just being a dick about HIM. A friend burnt me an album once and they were pretty cool.

DCharlie

Banned
Haven't got an Xbox or Xbox360, so I've only had limited time with Halo 2 and 3. I'm not a fan of FPSs and I didn't see anything different from what I'm used in the genre, nor did the game play in any outstanding way. Maybe for the people that treat FPS like fighting games and measure rocket speed or laser accuracy or whatever it is an outstanding game, but I don't see anything about its execution exceptional.

But ... hmm... how can you have such a strong stated opinion of something when you don`t like the genre and you have limited time with the game you are criticising?

I`d have thought any beauty that is described as subtle would take time to appreciate as well, so a short play time wouldn`t reveal anything (?)

Again, i don`t know - because i`ve not played Halo 3 final.

I don't think so. MP may be popular, but only a fraction the millions that buy Halo play online, a minority even. So, I ask again, why is it so popular?? The admitedly better than the average FPS story?? The big, testosterone ridden character?? The military Rambo appeal?? The marketing?? A good casual MP session at some guys home doesn't make a game the "biggest entertainment event of America".

Halo 1 wasn`t online - i`m talking about in-a-room multiplayer. :( And yes, that`s what i believe the reason is - frat party, dorm fun, student houses... that`s how it snowballed IMO. Obviously marketting helps, but poor games do NOT maintain the hype.

Halo's unwarranted hype does bother me, though. There's tons of other FPS games out there that are just as good and offer just as much. Jesus, the game is pretty damn short and the reviews didn't bother to dock points from the game. That's what hype buys you.

but as we`ve already pointed out - the game is pretty much multiplayer centric and (like resistance) it`s single player is replayable (albeit due to different AI rather than altered weaponry). Again, given you yourself say you have limited time with the game, i`m not sure why you have such a strong negative on Halo. It`s a good game, millions of people want to play it, and i think they LEGITIMATELY want to play it. Shrug.

Staccat0 said:
Oh I see. I guess I misunderstood.
I don't know where your from so I can't say a lot about that. I'd only point out that no one says that about England who lives with nearly war as much as we do... and has its own share of wars to glorify/critisize. Is Killzone less "war centric" than Halo? Is Batallion Wars? I think thats a pretty universal theme. I think Americans love Halo for the same reasons the Japanese love the DS (I own two so I'm not flaming them here) because we live in the heart of the hype machine.
My bad.:lol
Oh, and seriously, I was just being a dick about HIM. A friend burnt me an album once and they were pretty cool.

Yeah, I suppose so. I think I just don't get the hype because I'm not really "in" it, so it feels superficial to me. I have played Halo before, and it's pretty good, but I genuinely don't find what makes it so damn appealing to so many people. It's even a bit frustrating at times even.

Your analogy to the japanese and the DS is fantastic, it's exactly how I feel about Halo, I just don't see what's that damn great about it that they sell hundreds of thousands every week.

OT: I really like HIM. It's good stuff when I'm feeling pretty down in that aspect. They aren't my favorite band though, that'd be Nightwish. :D

I'm from Mexico BTW.

Aaron

Halo is a very polished series. Sure there are a number of FPS and other games out there, but very, very few with this degree of attention to detail where everything runs so smoothly, and the player can sink into the game without worrying about awkwardness in the controls or mechanics, frame rate problems, glitches, etc.

It's the difference between driving an Audi A4 and an A8. It's not noticable until you've driven each around the block.

DCharlie said:
But ... hmm... how can you have such a strong stated opinion of something when you don`t like the genre and you have limited time with the game you are criticising?

I`d have thought any beauty that is described as subtle would take time to appreciate as well, so a short play time wouldn`t reveal anything (?)

Again, i don`t know - because i`ve not played Halo 3 final.

Halo 1 wasn`t online - i`m talking about in-a-room multiplayer. :( And yes, that`s what i believe the reason is - frat party, dorm fun, student houses... that`s how it snowballed IMO. Obviously marketting helps, but poor games do NOT maintain the hype.

but as we`ve already pointed out - the game is pretty much multiplayer centric and (like resistance) it`s single player is replayable (albeit due to different AI rather than altered weaponry). Again, given you yourself say you have limited time with the game, i`m not sure why you have such a strong negative on Halo. It`s a good game, millions of people want to play it, and i think they LEGITIMATELY want to play it. Shrug.

I'm far too critical at times, so I explain myself poorly sometimes. I am NOT saying Halo 3 is bad in any way. I said it's pretty good, but it frustrates me a bit because I don't see what's so particularly great about it that there's such monumental hype behind it.

I mean, I've seen some of the story. Interesting, but I don't see why it's so special. Visuals?? Not all that great. Gameplay?? I feel there are games that are just as good. Frankly, I'm frustrated by it, since I don't understand it.

I could get Gears, since it's such a big graphical showcase, as well as having spectacular monsters and bloody gunplay. But Halo?? I simply don't get it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Logan Cano said:
Yeah, I suppose so. I think I just don't get the hype because I'm not really "in" it, so it feels superficial to me. I have played Halo before, and it's pretty good, but I genuinely don't find what makes it so damn appealing to so many people. It's even a bit frustrating at times even.

Your analogy to the japanese and the DS is fantastic, it's exactly how I feel about Halo, I just don't see what's that damn great about it that they sell hundreds of thousands every week.

OT: I really like HIM. It's good stuff when I'm feeling pretty down in that aspect. They aren't my favorite band though, that'd be Nightwish. :D

I'm from Mexico BTW.
Ah! I see! I'll be moving to Austin Texas (for work) soon and I'd like to visit your country soon.
I liked the original Halo for parties I guess. Its the only FPS I've found to be pick up and play for non-FPS players. The new ones have gotten a bit TOO complicated in my wierd oppinion, but visually they are nice. I just don't think it was what people expected. They are doing the visuals in a subtle way to facilitate the new replay feature... Enough of this talk!
*runs off into the night*

DCharlie

Banned
Gameplay?? I feel there are games that are just as good. Frankly, I'm frustrated by it, since I don't understand it.

again, you need time with a game like Halo for this to click - in single player and in multiplayer.

i -HATED- Halo 1 when i first played it - i played through the first level or so and me and my flat mate were howling at how ordinary it was and we didn`t play it for a few days.

When we went back , once we started getting into fire fights, it all clicked. It wasn`t immediate, but the finer details started coming through.

In multiplayer, it was just really good fun and it tended to level the battle field and 16 player lan parties became phenomenal struggles.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Safe Bet said:
Logan...

Do you have any idea how much money was spent marketing the Halo franchise?
lol@ Spiderman joke... 1000% true IMO.:lol
The discussion isn't really on the quality of Halo though, are its visuals subtle? If not what is?
I think from a technical standpoint I believe they could have made it shinier, but were more tasteful.

Rolf NB

giga said:
I'll say that the AA gets a bit of a boost but everything else is exactly the same. Aliasing really isn't that large of a problem in the game--its just overplayed by haters as a "graphics-breaking" negative. :lol You hardly notice the few aliasing while you're moving around in the game.

So no, it's not a total misrepresentation.
Go away blind man. This is a graphics-related thread.
The high-res rendering with AA and downscaling isn't really done because nobody can appreciate the difference. Other games that have lots of AA in-game don't really do it just accidentally either.

If you want to do something sensible today, go get that thread, the one with all the pictures you can hardly see, renamed to "Something photo-mode something something".

giga

bcn-ron said:
Go away blind man. This is a graphics-related thread.
The high-res rendering with AA and downscaling isn't really done because nobody can appreciate the difference. Other games that have lots of AA in-game don't really do it just accidentally either.

If you want to do something sensible today, go get that thread, the one with all the pictures you can hardly see, renamed to "Something photo-mode something something".
I'm assuming you don't have the game as most others agree that the AA from the screens isn't as large a deal as you're making it out to be.

14v0myp.jpg

rqzpsn.jpg

And you're right, static images don't give the game accurate representation--that's where Saved Films/Clips come in! Hoorah for Bungie file sharing! Only then can you actually see how the game shines in it's glorious HDR, subtle motion blur, and glorious water.

Brannon

Pharmacy said:
john woo's stranglehold when you shoot melons and baskets of fruit

im not joking

This game made me go out and buy a bunch of fruit.

I put them in a blender. Delicious!

SSM25

Oh man, somewhere to talk about Halo's graphics!......

Played the game extensively at a friends house yesterday, man, the graphics are completely sub par, like halo 2 in HD, and the animations are the same. Why would this be?, money isn't a problem!!. Gameplay is the same too, nothing new to the game or the genre, but tha't not bad at all I think.

...i'm out of here

SSM25 said:
Oh man, somewhere to talk about Halo's graphics!......

Played the game extensively at a friends house yesterday, man, the graphics are completely sub par, like halo 2 in HD, and the animations are the same. Why would this be?, money isn't a problem!!.
I this a case of teh M$ hate..?!

SSM25 said:
I can't understand why some people think forza's cars handle better than gt cars, but hey...I think it's just the sony hate, it has to be.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7966458#post7966458

;)

SSM25

so halo 3 looks above everything else out there right?

have you seen me posting in a halo 3 thread or a forza thread>?

;)

Flo

Logan Cano said:
I don't mean it in that way, but it's similar to the people who were parading around at the launch of yet another bug ridden madden who were crazy about it. It's the...manufactured hype ,for the lack of a better phrase, that bothers me.

This is what I'm talking about. From a typical casual gamer's perspective, there's nothing exceptional about the game. I've played other FPSs with really good combat and guns, and Halo didn't feel any different. What's so much more fine tuned about it that I can't find in Resistance, Unreal Tournament, Half Life 2 or the countless other FPS out there??

Balancing? Maps? That's hardcore MP talk, and it's not really very important unless you are that serious and competitive about it. Are you seriously telling me the depth of a multiplayer mode that normal people hardly ever notice is the reason for such hype?? Or is it the "subtly beautiful" visuals?? Is the story such a revelation that makes it such an event??

Oh, I'm sure tougher difficulties add play time, but that's ridiculous, since when 9 hours is hardly short?? That kind of length is frowned upon nowadays and mysteriously Halo is immune from such criticism.

MP is fine, but it's a supplement, not the main game. Or that's what it should be, anyway.

The MP is why the game will still be important two years from now.

I think Halo's problem is that its hard to describe why exactly it is so fantastic, one thing I can assure you of though, is that it is beautiful. Many times throughout the campaign did I stop to look and take in the graphics. The lighting and set-pieces in particular. You should play it, and if you don't want to play it, stop talking about it.

A big reason is the 'fun' factor, which is kind of important. This is mostly because of the (limited, but in a well-designed way) freedom it gives the player, the enemy AI is also fantastic, creating a lot of interesting confrontations.

Whilst playing the campaign in co-op mode, hilarious and cool moments were happening every other minute. When replaying the same level due to failure, different things would happen altogether!

DCharlie

Banned
so halo 3 looks above everything else out there right?

1) no it probably doesn`t
2) do looks even matter for this game?

When the gameplay is THIS good, you`ll realise that even having to settle with "Halo 2HD" is a small price to pay.

Halo 3 : "Subtly beautiful" , Ballsout obviously awesome.

Box quote required : "So good, Sonyfans fall over themselves to troll it!!!"

Top Bottom