• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

My biggest beef so far is the grenades. Grenade spam in halo has always been a thing but in this beta I feel like the radius is insane. It's giving me flashbacks of the halo reach beta grenades.

Everything feels so good except fhe sniper. Overall it's such an improvement over Halo 4 it's not even close. Can't wait to play more gametypes and maps.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Lol I'm glad cod fans like this. Verifies what I think about the game.

But I am hardcore Halo fan, and I am really loving this beta. Does that change what you think of the game?

If you have just started playing try using the booster thing (what the hell is it officially called?) more. I think it is much more necessary to use that to dodge grenades than simply walking out of the way now.

Air dash?

btags

My biggest beef so far is the grenades. Grenade spam in halo has always been a thing but in this beta I feel like the radius is insane. It's giving me flashbacks of the halo reach beta grenades.

If you have just started playing try using the booster thing (what the hell is it officially called?) more. I think it is much more necessary to use that to dodge grenades than simply walking out of the way now.

But I am hardcore Halo fan, and I am really loving this beta. Does that change what you think of the game?

Me too. Guess we are actually just noobzorz COD players.

Strider

Halo is a slower game than CoD, so it's normally obvious what killed you. Adopting the weapon icon into the kill feed is a better solution than blocking the death cam, which is critical in calling out enemy movements after you've died and seeing whether they picked up your objective or power weapon.

There's no reason for the Kill Cam to be in the game. If you're unsure of how you died, that's usually why you died. .

Agreed. Especially for calling out enemy movements.

--

After my first few games on Truth I thought everything was nicely balanced for the most part and I was happy the sword wasn't destroying... But I realized the more I played that unless I'm screwing around because it's a blowout I don't want the sword. I'd rather have an SMG or AR in my hands. Those two guns really are too powerful IMO based on the 35ish games I've played so far. We'll see how I feel going forward though.... Still a lot of time left. But to prefer a starter AR over the "power" weapon... well....

Yeah, there's very little damage falloff. It'll still kill you once your shields have been stripped, even from the very edge. Should probably be toned down.

Agreed. Especially for calling out enemy movements.

--

After my first few games on Truth I thought everything was nicely balanced for the most part and I was happy the sword wasn't destroying... But I realized the more I played that unless I'm screwing around because it's a blowout I don't want the sword. I'd rather have an SMG or AR in my hands. Those two guns really are too powerful IMO based on the 35ish games I've played so far. We'll see how I feel going forward though.... Still a lot of time left. But to prefer a starter AR over the "power" weapon... well....

I feel the same way, but I don't think it's a power thing. Prophet's Bane is just unpleasant to use, it's too damn bright and fills up too much of the screen. It'll still wreck the AR and SMG most of the time, properly wielded, but it's just hard to look at.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Played a few more matches, and now I'm thinking of going back and playing regular MCC multiplayer matches to see which I prefer.

I really dig the boost ability though.

As for the CoD comparisons I don't see it. I don't think you can lone wolf this game and do well.

Skullface

Im having an issue where i find a full game, then the screen starts to.flicker, then i get kicked to the lobby, with a "took too long, servers timed out" message.
Anyone else experiencing this?

I was at first. Just restart the game and you should be golden.

Man once this game clicks and you grasp the controls it's phenomenal. But until that point it's nothing but aggro

just wanted to say thank you for this post. helped me clear my mind and i'm actually going positive now :3

i think i might like this game. it has the things i enjoyed about Reach's combat over its predecessors without [most of] the bad that held that game back and effectively ruined Halo.

it can only go up. well, i'm sure they could find a way to mess the sniper up even more.

Kibbles

As a COD fan who wanted to get into halo but didn't like the slow speed/shields this feels great. Players die a lot quicker, aim down sights lets me be more accurate like in COD and the movement feels a lot like Advanced Warfare. Guns feel more like modern weapons instead of the lame Sci Fi stuff that halo used to have as well. Probably going to buy this now!

Edit: Kill Cam is awesome too, part of the reason why I didn't like the past Halo games.
I can't tell if this is serious or not

Anyone else experiencing some crazy lag?
http://xboxclips.com/BournVita/835613ab-c4b3-49aa-810c-803ea67b5258

btw at the end of the video check out the halo art when the game crashes...looks new to me.

At times Ive seen some pretty bad lag, but nothing as bad as yours.

Man once this game clicks and you grasp the controls it's phenomenal. But until that point it's nothing but aggro

Yeah this game makes me rage more than Halo ever has before. I finally have the controls down but some rage still slips out every now and then when I fail especially bad at something.

Seem like they have adjusted bullet magnetism to make it pretty lenient when it comes to gun battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZprPlCKINA&feature=youtu.be

I do wonder how they are going to balance aim assist & bullet magnetism in the game. If they turn down aim assist I wonder if that is going to be offset by raising the magnetism.

Naw. Killcam is just buggy.

Seriously, what's up with the Spartans doing the "aawwww yeeeaaah" dudebro poses after a win?

They're... celebrating?

Freeser

I know of a perfect game for COD fans: COD. I wish I could say the same for Halo fans.

I feel the exact same way.

It really feels like the same strategy that they had with H4. I can see it being a game that sells well but is a ghost town after a couple months like H4. Really disappointing they have completely abandoned any type of skill gap. Also, for what it's worth I am not a great Halo player but I think crouch jumps and precision based combat enhance Halo gameplay.

I know of a perfect game for COD fans: COD. I wish I could say the same for Halo fans.
I've been a fan of Halo since like 2002ish (probably put over a 100 hours into the Silent Cartographer demo lol) and I freaking love the game. You diehards gotta stop speaking for everyone else.

There's a product for you guys stuck in the past and it's called "The Master Chief Collection"

btags

Seem like they have adjusted bullet magnetism to make it pretty lenient when it comes to gun battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZprPlCKINA&feature=youtu.be

I do wonder how they are going to balance aim assist & bullet magnetism in the game. If they turn down aim assist I wonder if that is going to be offset by raising the magnetism.

I am not saying you are wrong, but that looks like footage of a kill cam, and I feel that they are very poor representations of what happened according to the actual player. More often than not when I watch kill cams it looks like the other guy does not have his reticule on me for half of his shots, and I can't imagine that is the case all the time. I'd like to get some confirmation by seeing some footage of this bullet magnetism in a normal match scenario (i.e. from the perspective of the person who is playing, not a kill cam).

Strider

Wow the spectate feature is pretty slick.

Wait it's actually working already? Thought it was disabled for the beta. Gonna have to try it out.

--

IMO placement matches put waaaay too much emphasis on win/loss instead of individual skill. We carried a friend, who is avg at best, to a 10 win 0 loss record during placement and he got Onyx 3. Now he's solo queuing and getting destroyed. It makes sense to go up/down based on win/loss once your placed... But IMO the placement matches themselves shouldn't work that way.

link1201

Wait it's actually working already? Thought it was disabled for the beta. Gonna have to try it out.

--

IMO placement matches put waaaay too much emphasis on win/loss instead of individual skill. We carried a friend, who is avg at best, to a 10 win 0 loss record during placement and he got Onyx 3. Now he's solo queuing and getting destroyed. It makes sense to go up/down based on win/loss once your placed... But IMO the placement matches themselves shouldn't work that way.

Watching Major Nelson play right now! lol

mbmonk

I am not saying you are wrong, but that looks like footage of a kill cam, and I feel that they are very poor representations of what happened according to the actual player. More often than not when I watch kill cams it looks like the other guy does not have his reticule on me for half of his shots, and I can't imagine that is the case all the time. I'd like to get some confirmation by seeing some footage of this bullet magnetism in a normal match scenario (i.e. from the perspective of the person who is playing, not a kill cam).

I completely agree. I would love to see some in game tests run. Without being able to create custom games it's going to be hard to test.

Maybe if someone can find an AFK player they could test it :)

btags

I completely agree. I would love to see some in game tests run. Without being able to create custom games it's going to be hard to test.

Maybe if someone can find an AFK player they could test it :)

Yeah, I understand why they don't have custom games but they would be great just to check out all of the stuff in the beta. My brother loves dissecting graphics engine stuff but you can't really stop to look around at the lighting and what not during a normal match.

Genis94

Neo Member
A lot of people upset because there is finally a halo made for people who like Call of Duty. Call of Duty is the better game at this point, it would be silly for them to ignore that.

Also it's so much better. Whenever I tried to play halo 3 or 4 that 3 shot gun people had would always dominate, now I can take them down mid-long range with the assault rifle and kill them quicker than they can kill me, like all automatic weapons should be able to do.

Okay, saying that CoD is better is highly subjective. From what I understand, the AR has been buffed to ridiculous strength in the beta. Every weapon in Halo has had some sort of balance to it. The AR has always been the go to spray and pray weapon, good for short to medium range (though it can hit at long range in bursts in Halo Reach and Halo 4). Also, the Shotgun is designed to be a close range cannon. It can kill anything at close range, but at medium to long range the fire rate and reduced damage cripple it.

Wurdfurd

Is it just me, or did 343 get an even bigger raging hard on for bloom?

Shits hard on the eyes I find, and tough to stay focused on one thing.

I feel the exact same way.

It really feels like the same strategy that they had with H4. I can see it being a game that sells well but is a ghost town after a couple months like H4. Really disappointing they have completely abandoned any type of skill gap. Also, for what it's worth I am not a great Halo player but I think crouch jumps and precision based combat enhance Halo gameplay.

Do you find yourself playing better in this game compared to past Halos?

Ending the night on a high. Finally chained together a triple kill and then killing spree. Man my service record is a paltry -3.1 KDA. oh wells.

It's a cod and halo hybrid but a mix that is much much better than the halo 4 mess

Computer

The ranking system is pissing me off. Every win i get is like plus 1 or plus 10 if I am lucky. One loss is like -24. At this rate I would have to win 100 straight games to make it to out of gold. There is no consistency. I get less points when I get better stats. I want to see how this crap is calculated because it looks broken.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I've been a fan of Halo since like 2002ish (probably put over a 100 hours into the Silent Cartographer demo lol) and I freaking love the game. You diehards gotta stop speaking for everyone else.

There's a product for you guys stuck in the past and it's called "The Master Chief Collection"

In the same boat as you. Sick of people claiming it's too COD-like. Sprint and ADS is really the only similar things I see and it still feels very much like Halo.
I'm having the most fun in Halo since Halo 2 and I suck, but it's still great.

RSB

Banned
Well, I've been playing some matches, and yeah, pretty much what I expected (both the good and the bad) It definetly needs a few changes and additions, but I think it has the potential to be a great Halo game. Anyway, since this is a beta, and 343 wants our feedback to make changes and stuff, I'll focus on the things I would like them to change first. So, let's get to it:

-Make ADS completely cosmetic. That means no added delay when ADSing (it feels like shit having such a big delay when clicking RS) and no accuracy bonus on any weapon (beyond the accuracy gained by the zoom itself, obviously)

-Include the option to use the classic scope/zoom. First of all, ADS is awful, it's always been and it always will be, and if it was up to me I'd completely remove it from the game. That said, I understand 343 needs to cater to the modern shooter crowd and those dumb game reviewers who would say "no ADS in 2015? LOL" if it wasn't in the game. That's why I'm not asking 343 to completely remove ADS from the game, and instead I only ask for an option to use the classic scope (having to beg for the option to use the classic zoom in a Halo game is pretty sad, though)

-Remove Clamber. I don't like it, feels too automated. I'd rather have double jump + crouch jump.

-Introduce Double Jump. Since the maps are being designed with Clamber in mind and I'm asking for its removal, I propose double jump as an alternative. It will surely feel better than Clamber, especially if it's similar to the Hunter's double jump in Destiny (the improved version with better maneuverability)

-Increase the range of the pistol. It is ok now, but it should be better, especially with the automatic weapons being so OP and so many BR's and DMR's lying around the map. Make it a bit better and AR starts wouldn't feel that bad, honestly.

-Remove Ground Pound. Looks like it will be too easy to abuse (KOTH must be a nightmare with it) and it clutters the controls. The fact that it replaces crouch jump (in the beta, at least) is just stupid.

-Bring back crouch jump. Seriously, its absence is incredibly fucking annoying. I keep trying to crouch jump only to see my character initiate a stupid Ground Pound. Ugh. Crouch jumping is a great mechanic, not having it in the game would be really dumb.

-Remove the Hover ability. This ability seems pretty meh from what I've played, but, same as Ground Pound, it clutters the controls too much. Better to just remove it.

-Make the sniper zoom 2x and 10x. Having the first level of zoom at 5x sucks, and the delay when zooming is ridiculous (again, remove that shit please) Seriously, the new sniper is horrible.

-Remove flinch. It just sucks, why is it still in the game after Halo 4? Ugh.

-Increase the visual clarity. IDK if it's because of 720p, the Xbone crushing the blacks or what, but I'm having a really hard time seeing shit in this game. Make the enemies way more obvious, increase the brightness, remove that weird haze from the maps, do whatever it takes, but it needs to be better than it is now. Much better.

-Let us remap our controls however we like. No need to explain this one.

-Remove sprint. As always, it screws with the flow of the game, and it also leads to cat and mouse encounters (radar doesn't help either) Pretty much every console shooter is now a run or gun shooter, we don't need more. I want Halo to be a run and gun shooter as it used to be. And frankly, except for making long jumps it is really not that useful in this game, especially not during combat, so you may as well remove it completely.

-Increase the base movement speed. Since Halo 3 there's been a tendency to make the movement and strafe speed way too slow, and Halo 5 is no exception. This has to end.

-Nerf the automatic weapons. I understand you want bad players to be able to kill something, but you went too far. Either reduce the damage, reduce the range, or reduce the aim-assist (or a combination of all) And yeah, as I said before, accuracy bonuses when zoomed have to go (the SMG is ridiculous) Short, controlled bursts should be the only way to control the spread, as always.

-Give us the option to turn off Kill Cams. Death cams are much better, and I already know you are trying to make the modern shooter crowd feel right at home, no need to remind me every time I die.

-Remove the radar. Radar punishes agressive plays, and makes stealth really slow and boring. Removing it from the game would force players to be more aware of their surroundings, and that would lead to better, more interesting encounters. Halo just plays better without radar.

-Increase the FoV. IDK what FoV Halo CE has, but use that, it feels great.

-Bring back the old low shields/shields recharging sounds, the new ones are horrible. TBH, the sound effect in general are pretty annoying in this game, for some reason.

-Bring back backpack reloading. Playing Halo CE these past few weeks has reminded me what an awesome mechanic it is. It increases the pace of the game in a good way, and I want it back.

-Make weapons on the ground easier to see. I guess this could be included in the visual clarity complaint, but yeah, make them brighter or something.

-Remove dudebro spartans. They are dumb.

-Don't mess with iconic designs. This is more of a general rule you should follow. Just don't do stupid shit like replacing the classic SPNKr with a GGT (Generic Green Tube) 343 should aim to create NEW icons in the Halo universe, not destroy old ones.

I may add more suggestions later, but for now, that's all.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What you guys think of the ranking system so far? I am not understanding much but you do get negative/positive points based on your performance. Not sure how it impacts the overall rank. Its definitely not like Halo 2 right?

Is there any way to launch the game without MCC installed?

I own MCC on my account but it asks me to sign in to the account that owns the game or insert disc when I try to launch the beta.

link1201

The ranking system is pissing me off. Every win i get is like plus 1 or plus 10 if I am lucky. One loss is like -24. At this rate I would have to win 100 straight games to make it to out of gold. There is no consistency. I get less points when I get better stats. I want to see how this crap is calculated because it looks broken.

A lot has to do with who you're beating and who's beating you.

EDIT:The guy who worked on the ranking stuff is posting some on community side.

Top Bottom