• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta Trailer

klodeckel

Banned
Frankie, I like "Arena" Halo. Really. And I know many do so, too! But with Halo 5, please do not completely forget about large-scaled, open-area, vehicular big team battles - because this is also "Halo" for me :)

Frankie, I like "Arena" Halo. Really. And I know many do so, too! But with Halo 5, please do not completely forget about large-scaled, open-area, vehicular big team battles - because this is also "Halo" for me :)

there will be big team for sure

EDIT: I shouldn't say for sure. but why wouldn't there be?

link1201

Me too :) I hope the Falcons/Hornets whatever they'll have can trully fly. I hated having the ceiling so low in Reach.

Izayoi

Banned
I hope the competitive settings are across I the board. Nothing is more confusing than having only one mode be the competitive mode which is way different from the modes that literally everyone else is playing.
This would be incredibly frustrating.

The split between "casual" modes and "arena" modes is a little disconcerting, if that is what this turns out to be. I'm hoping that the "arena" settings will be available on all maps, even ones featuring vehicles, and not just shoehorned into small symmetrical arenas.

Dirtbag

Spartan abilities that I'd be ok with. Everyone has a simple double jump, would make a nice combat ripple. Sprinting and sliding (sprint and press crouch)/ long jump (sprint and press jump) / melee shoulder bump (sprint and press melee) / Sprinting and distance grenade toss (Sprint and throw a grenade).

Honestly those few things would be plenty for me. Wouldn't ruin the combat and map movement. Might increase the pacing enough for the ADD generation, but keep the game pure.

jelly

Spartans have new abilities but they are standard for everyone, no customizing ?

There is no perks anymore ?

Buwx

This place makes me feel like the only person who really enjoyed Halo 4, armor abilities included.

Halo 4 was, by no means, a bad game. It just wasn't a particularly good one, and an even worse Halo one. For the first year or so, I thought Halo 4 was actually kinda fun; but ultimately, 343i didn't provide much in terms of replay value, since Forge/Custom Games were lackluster, and Spartan Ops concluded. I would also mention that the gameplay itself, while being decent, began to lose its Halo touch. It became diluted, thanks to all the generic FPS features... So most people felt like they didn't get what they bought: Halo.

In regards to Halo 5; all this news is very exciting, especially the return of a ranking system, and a level playing field. I'm hoping this will lead to a more classic Halo multiplayer experience...

Now, I'm just wondering if we'll be getting to play as Elites again. I miss their hilarious death screams.

Kssio_Aug

Lack of realtime ANYTHING from Halo 5 was massively disappointing. 2 years of CGI trailers?

Weird. A realtime trailer for SP campaign was %100 expected. Unless they are having a hard time reaching their 1080p 60fps goal, and didnt want to show anything off that would possibly get downgraded later?

I believe that last year they werent intending to show Halo 5 at E3 already, but they did because they needed something big. Idk, I could be wrong but thats the impression that I had since there.

But I dont care too much that they did not show Halo 5 this time, Im sure MS will soon reveal more details about it.

Mayyhem

My faith is somehow restored in Halo 5 (even though I said it never would be after Halo 4)
343 has seemingly learned from their mistakes, however the MC collection is definitely reviving my hype for Halo all together.

Hyped!

Surface

Neo Member
Is the Spartan taking cover here ....

ibfgI8YD3riFev.gif

or am I just seeing things???

ryan299

Somebody in another thread said that the voice in the teaser is Nathan Fillions. Its close but I'm not sure. Anybody know?

Woorloog

Banned
Is the Spartan taking cover here ....

http://i.minus.com/ibfgI8YD3riFev.gif[IMG]

or am I just seeing things???[/QUOTE]

It is a CGI trailer. Doesn't mean much really. I know i'd take crouch behind cover in Halo if i could slide, seems like a logical thing to do.

[quote="cluto, post: 115869281"]Yeah, this really makes it seem like the large, vehicle-battle side of multiplayer is not going to have a competitive focus, is not going to have equal starts, and is not going to have things like map control or map knowledge...[/QUOTE]

It better have those equal starts in BTB. Keep the game equal across game modes, no random shit and sudden changes (like Halo 4 has, returning to Halo 4 was incredibly confusing after a long break due to very different slayer game modes within one playlist).

[quote="ryan299, post: 115877780"]Somebody in another thread said that the voice in the teaser is Nathan Fillions. Its close but I'm not sure. Anybody know?[/QUOTE]

Already confirmed by Frankie that Fillion voiced a line in the trailer. (Or they re-used the dialogue from ODST but whatever)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am still trying to understand sprinting backslash. If everyone gets a sprinting ability or if everyone doesn't get sprinting. ISNT THAT THE FUCKING SAME THING?

How is that an advantage or disadvantage for anyone. Using it as a perk is a different story.

I personally feel like they should keep sprinting, it was one of the only changes I liked about 4, and makes sense as Spartans should be able to sprint naturally.

I'm glad halo is returning to it's roots by removing AAs, but I will miss the jetpack :(

I'm excited to hear more about these new "Spartan Abilities", but one thing that not a lot of people have mentioned that I hope they fix with Halo 5 is the grenades. The grenades in Halo 4 were way to week, especially compared to Halo 2/3 where grenades played a huge part in combat.

runnner30

Banned
I am still trying to understand sprinting backslash. If everyone gets a sprinting ability or if everyone doesn't get sprinting. ISNT THAT THE FUCKING SAME THING?

How is that an advantage or disadvantage for anyone. Using it as a perk is a different story.

I'm assuming people just disliked having something disrupt the holy trinity of Halo. Sounds like people just want space bunnies, bouncy ball pineapple grenades, and focus on power weapon and map jump memorization.

jem0208

The only real negative I can think of is that is somewhat changes the process of map design.

With sprint, the maps tend to be larger or you'd be able to cross the map in seconds. For example Haven is the smallest map on Halo 4 yet it's still quite a bit larger than some of the small maps in Halo 3 like Guardian.

I think it would be cooler if sprint was replaced with default thrusters. And from the trailer it kinda looks like they are. I think it would make the game feel a lot more dynamic and add quite a lot to the skill gap while still feeling very "Halo".

Jito

Banned
I'm assuming people just disliked having something disrupt the holy trinity of Halo. Sounds like people just want space bunnies, bouncy ball pineapple grenades, and focus on power weapon and map jump memorization.

Are you trying to take the piss out of Halo gameplay? This is what Halo is all about, deal with it.

Sprint has no place in a Halo game, coupled with insta spawn in Halo 4 it felt way too relentless with players constantly rushing into combat and not rewarding players for clearing out areas and controlling the map.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Not only wouldn't I worry about it, I would straight up relax.

Ok this trailer has me worried. Please tell me Spartan cannot use a cover system.

They already have one. It's called crouch. Toggle crouch is communism, btw.

jem0208

Not only wouldn't I worry about it, I would straight up relax.

They already have one. It's called crouch. Toggle crouch is communism, btw.

Toggle crouch is where it's at. Screw holding the stick down. That shit is annoying, especially if you're moving around.

Wolf Spartan

Neo Member
I'm not saying that Halo 4 is bad but this IGN review shows some reasons why people hated it:

http://www.ign.com/blogs/net34a/201...d-halo-why-halo-4-is-the-worst-halo-game-ever

if 343i are going to the roots, then here it is, the roots that are missing from Halo 4

personally i think, killing a spartan in 2 seconds, is what went bad, i remember when I had to empty a whole magazine to drain the shields, and battles for map load outs, and during a one on one battle we have to reload or melee,

Gestault

Mr O'Conner, forgive me if this is a little off-topic, but does Karen Traviss have any connection to the writing for Halo 5? I'm firmly in the camp which appreciates her work. I liked the narrative junction between single and multiplayer for Halo 4. Sort of hoping for a similar arrangement here. Also, Ultra Game Players was rad.

Wolf Spartan

Neo Member
What I liked about Halo the most was that I could run into the middle of the map guns blazing

but in Halo 4 you have to be more strategic, going to the middle of the map is like suicide, i loved going toe to toe with a warthog and winning, grenades on the ground.

Top Bottom