• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

link1201

Spartan charging has made assassinations more complex for me. I have to constantly tell myself to stop sprinting before I try it. It's kinda of fun and aggravating all at once. lol

Matticers

Has anyone else had the whole game randomly restart itself? It has done that to me three times now since yesterday. Always seems like it happens before a MP match too.

I've only played two matches of Arena Slayer thus far, first one with a couple of friends late last night, and the other by myself about an hour ago.

I should be playing with a party that I can communicate with, but I'm honestly hesitant to send invites to some of the folks I see on my roster because I don't want to hold anyone back.

I'm not terrible, I'd say; just inconsistent at the moment. :/
I understand. I was having a miserable time last night, and have played poorly in a number of games. Playing with a party today was way better. A coordinated, communicative team makes an enormous difference. I think I get frustrated and begin bum rushing the opposing team when I play with randoms who aren't doing so well. Which obviously just makes things worse. Haha

I'd be willing to play with you!

Cider X

The campaign is slow to take off and maybe even a bit boring at first, but the last 4 missions is some of the most epic shit I've ever played. It doesn't have the greatest story ever but it's still a huge improvement over Halo 4. Warzone is fun as well.

matt05891

Battle chatter in campaign is downright hilarious at times from the grunts to even your allies. Nothing better than
when a team of ghosts on the last level came at me and as I was hijacking one the other elite replies "Brother! There is a human on your vehicle!" Or when I told buck to pick up the rocket launcher turret to fight in the last chamber and he said "Looks pretty nice; you can keep it."

I don't get the Osiris hate. Sure, individually they might be dull, but so is everyone in Blue Team besides Chief. I think they captured Vale's naivete / lack of real field experience extremely well, Buck's unfamiliarity with his Spartan capabilities, and Tanaka is by far my favorite character, if not one of my favorites in the whole franchise. It's really easy to empathise with who she is as a character, and despite being a bit younger she's seen just as much shit as Buck, if not more. I really enjoyed watching their relationship unfold and Buck respecting Tanaka and vice-versa just as Buck would his squad by the end of it all.

Also, just from the Osiris intro: Tanaka smashes through a Banshee in freefall, yeah, but what a lot of people don't notice is that she specifically adjusts course to overtake Buck and smashes into it deliberately - same thing with flipping over a Wraith as she lands, smashing through the boulder and more or less throwing Grunts into her line of fire rather than taking the time to get into position. The Engineer / Medic thing she has going on is totally apparent, and I love how she's more or less the muscle / big guy of Osiris by proxy of making all these pinpoint calculations to optimize her attacks.

The way Kelly pronounces (major spoilers)
Cortana as "CURTANNER" is hilarious, too.

I really gotta do that solo playthrough.

Strongholds is so frustrating when you have players that don't understand how it works.

I still haven't played it XD

Half of my Team Arena qualifiers were Slayer.

Bsigg12

Battle chatter in campaign is downright hilarious at times from the grunts to even your allies. Nothing better than
when a team of ghosts on the last level came at me and as I was hijacking one the other elite replies "Brother! There is a human on your vehicle!" Or when I told buck to pick up the rocket launcher turret to fight in the last chamber and he said "Looks pretty nice; you can keep it."

Yea there's a lot of really great chatter around the battlefield.

I wish I played on Truth or Empire. The other maps present in slayer had very washed out colors and no natural terrain. I've always loved that Halo maps had a lot of nature around them. Whether it's snow, rain, sunset, waterfalls, hills, or anything else of that sort. I understand arena maps were designed with balance first, but I am in the school of thought that aesthetics are just as important.

For the record, I was never fond of The Pit. I believe Halo 2 had some of the best designed maps in the series.

I think with BTB coming back, that a lot of the natural elements that were present in Halo maps will return. In the past there weren't too many big natural maps built for 4 v 4 (except like Valhalla but even that was build more for BTB, and blood Gulch and beaver Creek).

FeD.nL

I don't know how common it is but I just got this one:

ekdahYz.png

Went into Arena to take a look at it but damn the AR is pretty damn useful. Was always switching right to the pistol or switching the AR for a BR/DMR but I must say the AR feels really good so far.

Nutter

I've only played two matches of Arena Slayer thus far, first one with a couple of friends late last night with no mics for whatever reason, and the other by myself about an hour ago.

I should be playing with a party that I can communicate with, but I'm honestly hesitant to send invites to some of the folks I see on my roster because I don't want to hold anyone back.

I'm not terrible, I'd say; just inconsistent at the moment. :/

We shall play tonight.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Went into Arena to take a look at it but damn the AR is pretty damn useful. Was always switching right to the pistol or switching the AR for a BR/DMR but I must say the AR feels really good so far.

Probobly not very common since it's a legendary req card...

Always forget that the AR got an buff.

GravyButt

You have to reach certain levels and spend REQ energy (which will gradually recharge throughout the game) to use power weapons and vehicles.
Yup just figured that out. Didn't realize power weapons were like that. Thought once you had the cert you were good. Do you know what the rocket launcher is off hand? I get that card so often I figured itd be pretty low.

Ein Bear

I'm really happy that 343 got Joe Staten to do the Grunt voices again. The Elites sound like they did in Halo 2/3 as well.

It goes a huge way towards making it feel like a proper Halo game. I like hearing them shout about demons and heretics again, its a huge improvement over the weird noises the Covenant made in Halo 4.

Sai

I don't get the Osiris hate. Sure, individually they might be dull, but so is everyone in Blue Team besides Chief.
Let's be real, the Master Chief's just as boring as the rest of them, he's just the one we're most familiar with.

I'm legitimately hoping that 343i doesn't react too severely to the initial fan outrage and continues to develop Locke and the rest of Osiris. I was pretty disappointed about
how little we got to play as Blue Team
—not even sure if that really counts as much of a spoiler at this point—but I think it'd suck if they just went to the opposite extreme, like they did with the victory poses.

We shall play tonight.
Thanks, I'll keep a lookout for you.

And please pardon my rust. ._.

xboxnerd

Banned
Yup just figured that out. Didn't realize power weapons were like that. Thought once you had the cert you were good. Do you know what the rocket launcher is off hand? I get that card so often I figured itd be pretty low.

A number next to the "rocket launcher" should tell you that.

You are getting a lot of them isn't because they're cheap, but you have unlocked the certification, which increases the opportunity of getting certain kind of weapon.

RedFury

Is their a gaf clan/company? I could also use some gaf XBL friends. Tag: Redfury03. Another thing, I bought war zone req bundle. I only got 2 packs not 14. Is it only 2 per week?

Sai

Is their a gaf clan/company? I could also use some gaf XBL friends. Tag: Redfury03. Another thing, I bought war zone req bundle. I only got 2 packs not 14. Is it only 2 per week?
We got one, and a bunch of other sub-groups for NeoGAF Spartan Companies.

There's a thread that lists them all, including Frankie's weird SWAT cult.. thing.

Shauni

Has there been any kind of widespread reported issue with the autosaving not working? I noticed that my game can't seem to autosave at all, and I can't even manually save in one of the slots either.

Kalentan

I'm glad I kept it on. It was hilarious hearing "You Rocked'em" after going on a tear with the RL....lol

Hearing a Spartan say: "That was a lucky headshot!" after an enemy headshotted me so quickly made me feel weird. Not used to them saying what I was thinking. xD

xboxnerd

Banned
Yeah, but I don't know how rare that is compared to let's say the rarest skins you can get in CS:GO for example. Because you can't get permanent dupes from req packs right?

You can get 2 or more permanent reqs from a gold pack or warzone pack.
But in 6 packs (4 gold, 2 warzone) I opened there was only 1 weapon skin, visor ,armor and helmet. There was no stance, no legendary weapon, and no assassination. Figured that they are rearer reqs.

Halo 5 is one of the first MP games where it sounds like the old MP games on xbox, where you hear everyone opening crisps and telling their kids off OUTSIDE of party chat.

Sai

Is it worth bying two silver packs instead of gold?
I think they both offer two guaranteed permanent req cards. So if you're aiming to complete your permanent collection, it may be more productive to get two silvers instead of a gold.

Sec0nd

Wish they would've kept the ranking system of the beta. I'm having a lot of fun playing the beta but I doesn't feel like I have a goal or something to strife for, as in a rank to achieve. Going to a website to check my progress isn't very satisfying.

Dispatch Assault on the other hand sucks though. Everything was stalemate

And thanks Palmer for reminding me that Multiplayer is suddenly a simulation now.

-__-

Wish they would've kept the ranking system of the beta. I'm having a lot of fun playing the beta but I doesn't feel like I have a goal or something to strife for, as in a rank to achieve. Going to a website to check my progress isn't very satisfying.

Why is that? You can continuously move up even out of your current rank's branch... just can fall down below what you qualified as. (correct if i'm wrong peeps)

Halo 5 Guardians Ratatata...

The beta was ages ago, you could have stopped this. Halo may not have been slow movement speed and crouch jumping, but for me if it was one thing it was precision weapon dueling.

I'll get my ratatata elsewhere, and I guess I'll play Halo in the MCC.

link1201

You do have a rank to strive for in Arena just not Warzone.

Halo 5 Guardians Ratatata...

The beta was ages ago, you could have stopped this. Halo may not have been slow movement speed and crouch jumping, but for me if it was one thing it was precision weapon dueling.

I'll get my ratatata elsewhere, and I guess I'll play Halo in the MCC.

You don't think the precision weapon dueling is as prevalent? Id argue that it is there moreso than the last two 3 Halos. Easily.

sam777

I think they both offer two guaranteed permanent req cards. So if you're aiming to complete your permanent collection, it may be more productive to get two silvers instead of a gold.

That is what I was thinking. What are the differences between silver and gold then?

Top Bottom