• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

I hear you stinkles. Every time I see a thread like that I get tempted to make the opposite - in this case "343i made a great halo game". But I'm an FTE too so, ya know astoturfing/corporate shill accusations. Life's too short.

Sad thing about that thread is if you take a look at the gt of done of these guys that are being critical about the game you'll find they haven't even played it... Well not on that gt at least

Fuchsdh

No kidding eh? Months of shit in threads, derails, several just negative threads, nothing. Maybe 2 pages of Spartan stance discussion after matches that turns to weird gifs equals a move to off-topic. Several hours of off-topic posts and one NSFW gif I've seen posted at least 3 times elsewhere since without a ban and the entire community is shut down, not wanted, come back in a year if you're good.

To be fair it wasn't just for that, it was also partly for the "hey look at those dumb gaming topics" posts. Which still feels like a shitty reason for moderation when that's half the posts on BCT, but not having a mod in our corner certainly doesn't help.

If you don't own the Fortress/Garage.

Just one more reason to dash to the other team's armory and try and cap it for yourself from the start of the game. Best strategy, especially if you picked up a suppressor to shred the enemy team with.

And yeah, I think that killing the big REQ call-ins comes with its own fulfillment. Even if I lose the game, sometimes badly, knowing that they only got a kill with their ultra rare care makes it worth it.

(In general that's why I don't bother with tanks. You're just too slow and you need a rear guard of two or three guys if you want to make sure no one can just latch on from your blindspot.) Ghost and Banshee Ultras for life.

Caja 117

Last night was brutal for me in slayer, after i went 17-4 in one game, everything went down hill, as I compile losses enough to know me off two ranks, and went negative in all of them.

I was so mad I wanted to just punch my screen, I love this game.

Frankie, I agree 100% about the title, it's bait for people to drop their quick little jab and run away. The number of hateful H5 posts has been a bit excessive if you ask me. If it makes you feel any better, I thought the campaign was pretty darn good. Especially the open levels with various pathways and options for taking enemies out. The friendly AI was fine for me too, they just needed to be given objectives manually more than most people probably wanted. I would say that Halo 5's campaign is up there with the best when it comes to design and gameplay, the Warden didn't even bother me...except fighting him (x3) legitimately on Legendary.

The multiplayer is a whole other story sir. This multiplayer suite is the best evolution of the series mechanics that anyone could possibly hoped for and it is executed flawlessly. I love this games multiplayer and could play it every minute of every day if I had no other responsibilities. I played last night for about six hours with members of my Spartan Company and it was the perfect ebb and flow of close matches, wins and losses. So screw the haters, 343i can have the Halo mantle if they make more Halo like this!

Caja 117

I noticed there is a small cooldown/delay after you jump to be able to do a beatdown, Stinkles, is this done un purpouse? I play Bumper Jumper and I do a lot on jumping beatdowns.

Zeta Oni

Halo at its finest.

SpecificTanArcherfish.gif

E92 M3

The blatant lack of moderation on any Halo topics here is really disappointing.
unless there's hot dog cannons. then gtfo

No kidding eh? Months of shit in threads, derails, several just negative threads, nothing. Maybe 2 pages of Spartan stance discussion after matches that turns to weird gifs equals a move to off-topic. Several hours of off-topic posts and one NSFW gif I've seen posted at least 3 times elsewhere since without a ban and the entire community is shut down, not wanted, come back in a year if you're good.

Destiny went (going?) through the same thing. Some people are wrong, but there doesn't need to be censorship as long as no one is blatantly trolling.

clav

Frankie, I agree 100% about the title, it's bait for people to drop their quick little jab and run away. The number of hateful H5 posts has been a bit excessive if you ask me. If it makes you feel any better, I thought the campaign was pretty darn good. Especially the open levels with various pathways and options for taking enemies out. The friendly AI was fine for me too, they just needed to be given objectives manually more than most people probably wanted. I would say that Halo 5's campaign is up there with the best when it comes to design and gameplay, the Warden didn't even bother me...except fighting him (x3) legitimately on Legendary.

The multiplayer is a whole other story sir. This multiplayer suite is the best evolution of the series mechanics that anyone could possibly hoped for and it is executed flawlessly. I love this games multiplayer and could play it every minute of every day if I had no other responsibilities. I played last night for about six hours with members of my Spartan Company and it was the perfect ebb and flow of close matches, wins and losses. So screw the haters, 343i can have the Halo mantle if they make more Halo like this!

I think people have more of a problem how Halo's plot took a dark turn as Halo 5's campaign didn't really explain motivations enough. I always kept asking, "Why?" and the game responds, keep sprinting and shooting waves of enemies to find out. In the end, I felt somewhat unsatisfied with the answer.
How could a smart thing become so stupid?

Character development is definitely a problem in these past two games. After finishing the game, I had to sit down and process what happened. For some people, they get frustrated to do that because for a fps full of one liners, easier to jump to a single sentence conclusion.

Team AI was really dumb. I felt like I was doing all the work, so this game plays better with human co-op. I don't understand the hate for the revive mechanic. I remember playing Star Wars Republic Commando back in the day and said then that Halo could benefit from this mechanic.

I liked the campaign better than Halo 4's. Think the team needs to go back to the drawing board in regards to dialogue sections. Something feels like content was cut. I suppose 343 wanted to make it feel like a MW2 game, but I don't think it worked very well.

I look forward to multiplayer though. With public feedback and play testing on movement, that's where Halo 5 shines. Campaign doesn't get any of that treatment. Thus, it's more difficult to develop. Its feedback is only a one-time thing (game's release). Campaign has a reputation to live up to its previous games.

Trup1aya

Probably my 3rd post on the subject, but I absolutely love Warzone Assault. It's amazing... The more I play it, the more I love the thought that went into designing these Warzone maps.

At first glance, Warzone Assualt does indeed seem like an exercise in grenade spam. But that's only when people don't understand the flow of the game.

Each base has quite a few entry points, and some are only available through skill jumps. That counter that, there are some very well placed defense point to cover those entry points; some inside and some outside each base.

When defending, your first Instict is to whole up inside, and try to survive a barrage of grenades to ward off attackers... But taking outside positions to keep attackers away from the base is just as import as having folks inside who can halt the capture process.

Likewise, many attackers think it wise to just bumrush an entrance, and start a war of attrition. But it might be wiser to try to capture the outside defensive points first. This gives defenders a harder time getting back to base after respawing. Done right, the roles actually reverse, and defenders find themselves on the outside looking in.

The more I play, the less I see a cluster fuck of grenades thrown at crouching defenders, and more people exploring ways to use the entire battlefield to their advantage...

Edit: I really can't get enough of this game mode...

I hope they bring something similar to BTB so we can see how it would work with ranked play.

Sooo...Grifball and Ricochet when?

I loved those gametypes, Grifball got such a huge improvement in 4 and Ricochet was soo fun though very rage inducing.

And I wanna see what kind of REQ variants the gravity hammer will get, love to get a hammer that emulates the Fist Of Rukt.

RSB

Banned
Any chance 343i is going to make a brand new IP with Halo mechanics like Bungie did with Destiny? 343i is immensely talented and I would really like to see what they can do with a little bit of freedom.
Destiny doesn't have Halo mechanics though (I wish) And no, I don't see 343 doing anything but Halo, at least for a while.

16BitNova

So once you own the garage, you have no choice but to spawn in the middle of the Warzone...

I guess you can always, respawn at home base, then use a req station there... Won't that make your vehicle spawn at home?

This is definately an oversight. But really, it shouldn't be that difficult to have someone clear the garage door before you bring your rare vehicle out.

I'm pretty sure you can always spawn at home base. I mean when you're respawning of course. If you spawn through a req station then of course it will spawn at the base where that station is at.

late, but H5G's campaign is probably my favorite behind ODST / Reach / CE. Certainly beats out 2, 3, and 4.

I really was enjoying the campaign till it just kinda ends so soon and abruptly. I liked what was there, but there just wasn't enough and it really wasn't satisfying experience. Even the crappy campaign in 4 while being a mess, felt more complete package narrative wise. They attempted an ESB here, which sucks for games.

Trup1aya

I'm pretty sure you can always spawn at home base. I mean when you're respawning of course. If you spawn through a req station then of course it will spawn at the base where that station is at.

Ok, so I guess I don't understand the issue... People are choosing to spawn their vehicle right in the middle of the action, and then getting upset when it's quickly destroyed...

16BitNova

Ok, so I guess I don't understand the issue... People are choosing to spawn their vehicle right in the middle of the action, and then getting upset when it's quickly destroyed...

That video was just over dramatized for effect. I'm pretty sure (I'm not playing right now so I cant check) that you can always spawn at home base when spawning. Though, sometimes it sucks cause it takes so long to get to the fight with a slow tank or Mantis from Home Base.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish I could play some grifball right now ._.

Besides the magnum which weapon do you guys use the most so far?

And grenades..which kind do you prefer? I'm a "bet you can't stick it" kind of guy

arimanius

And grenades..which kind do you prefer? I'm a "bet you can't stick it" kind of guy

I love love the scattershot. I suck at all the grenades but its a tough call between splinter and pulse. I'd say pulse right now.

Any chance 343i is going to make a brand new IP with Halo mechanics like Bungie did with Destiny? 343i is immensely talented and I would really like to see what they can do with a little bit of freedom.

Theyll have the 343i banner on the game but actual development from 343i main devs may be subject to the beholder. Ala mcc and halo wars 2.

GamerSoul

I'm the average vanilla player so probably the AR. In close quarters the AR is still king for me not matter how hard I try to use the BR or Magnum. Without the AR, I always lose those melee -> headshot battles.

As far as nades, I love the frags. Trying to angle their trajectory so they can hit targets around corners is always fun.

I'm the average vanilla player so probably the AR. In close quarters the AR is still king for me not matter how hard I try to use the BR or Magnum. Without the AR, I always lose those melee -> headshot battles.

As far as nades, I love the frags. Trying to angle their trajectory so they can hit targets around corners is always fun.

And hail marys:p

O rly u wanna run away? Guess what. Here comes my nade in front of youuuuu.looove the nades.lovvve em.

arimanius

The pulse grenade isn't in 5...

It's also terrible.

Do you mean the plasma?

Oops. Yeah plasma. I'm horrible with all of them so doesn't really make much difference to me.

Edit. Just had a CTF that was 2 vs 4. No one quit. That's how the game started. I was one of the 2. We lost lol

Trup1aya

I use a BR or DMR if I can find it, but I really haven't fooled with many of the other weapons yet... To busy perfecting my pistol craft.

As far as grenades, can't pick a favorite, because they are situational... throwing the splinter grenade behinds someone, then getting them to back into is awesome though...

Caja 117

I use a BR or DMR if I can find it, but I really haven't fooled with many of the other weapons yet... To busy perfecting my pistol craft.

As far as grenades, can't pick a favorite, because they are situational... throwing the splinter grenade behinds someone, then getting them to back into is awesome though...

No doubt about it, they can serve as traps, sucks when you fall for your own trap tough :)

I got a good clip ill post it later on.

Also, I love the shoty in this game it has good range, is back to been a power weapon to have in consideration.

Euron

This game seriously needs more content. :/
Seriously.

Doubles is awesome and should be a permanent playlist. Weekend playlists should be for things like Grifball and Fiesta.

I can't even do my batshit insane custom games lobbies without Forge. At least despite everything else I had that in 4.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Just had 3 matches in a row where my teammate bailed on me to face two alone. The last of which the final score was 23 to 22 and my two enemies spent half the match crouch walking/camping and actually hid for the final 30 seconds to hold their victory! :lol

I think people have more of a problem how Halo's plot took a dark turn as Halo 5's campaign didn't really explain motivations enough. I always kept asking, "Why?" and the game responds, keep sprinting and shooting waves of enemies to find out. In the end, I felt somewhat unsatisfied with the answer.
How could a smart thing become so stupid?

Character development is definitely a problem in these past two games. After finishing the game, I had to sit down and process what happened. For some people, they get frustrated to do that because for a fps full of one liners, easier to jump to a single sentence conclusion.

Team AI was really dumb. I felt like I was doing all the work, so this game plays better with human co-op. I don't understand the hate for the revive mechanic. I remember playing Star Wars Republic Commando back in the day and said then that Halo could benefit from this mechanic.

I liked the campaign better than Halo 4's. Think the team needs to go back to the drawing board in regards to dialogue sections. Something feels like content was cut. I suppose 343 wanted to make it feel like a MW2 game, but I don't think it worked very well.

I look forward to multiplayer though. With public feedback and play testing on movement, that's where Halo 5 shines. Campaign doesn't get any of that treatment. Thus, it's more difficult to develop. Its feedback is only a one-time thing (game's release). Campaign has a reputation to live up to its previous games.

The story can easily be boiled down in synopsis though.
Cortana survived Halo 4's conclusion within the domain which provided her with a cure for rampancy, which also allowed her to recruit other AI constructs from around the galaxy to her cause. Her attachment to chief is what reminds her of her "humanity" so she tries to "save" him.
The Locke v Chief as advertised was a minor part of the story, more a propellant for when playing as Locke. It would have been nice if we got to play as Blue Team more, but playing as another team of Spartans didn't break the experience at all for me given the story was still focused on Blue Team almost exclusively. The game is setting up a continued story arc that will follow
Cortana's
attempt at taking the universe by force if necessary, in the guise of it being in their best interest to accept a forced peace.

I guess I'm okay being told a story that 343i chose to tell instead of being upset that it didn't follow an arc I would personally have preferred. I'm perfectly okay with the story they've chosen to tell and the ways they have chosen to tell it. The diversity of gameplay and traversal options throughout the levels is better than it has ever been, previous Halo games gave an illusion of player options, but Halo 5 pulls it off better than any previous game has, in my opinion.

People claiming Halo 5's campaign or multiplayer is bad, or worse than "any fps in the past ten years" need to reevaluate their subjectivism. Maybe it isn't what you personally wanted, but it is anything but bad you guys. Stop with your hyperboles internet it is getting out of control.

op_ivy

Concerning halo 5 plot
I interpreted cortana as thinking she cured rampancy, but really only discovered immortality. Based on the definition of rampancy as when "AI develops delusions of godlike power, as well as utter contempt for its mentally inferior makers", it sounds to me like she is clearly rampant. Under this interpretation, her actions make more sense.

Did I miss the mark?

op_ivy

I'm digging the plasma launcher. The charged shot is a bit like a shittier version of a rail gun, but can be used to pepper an area with plasma. Plus, unlike the railgun, in a pinch you can fire off shots without charging. Very underutilized, cool weapon.

clav

The story can easily be boiled down in synopsis though.
Cortana survived Halo 4's conclusion within the domain which provided her with a cure for rampancy, which also allowed her to recruit other AI constructs from around the galaxy to her cause. Her attachment to chief is what reminds her of her "humanity" so she tries to "save" him.
The Locke v Chief as advertised was a minor part of the story, more a propellant for when playing as Locke. It would have been nice if we got to play as Blue Team more, but playing as another team of Spartans didn't break the experience at all for me given the story was still focused on Blue Team almost exclusively. The game is setting up a continued story arc that will follow
Cortana's
attempt at taking the universe by force if necessary, in the guise of it being in their best interest to accept a forced peace.

I guess I'm okay being told a story that 343i chose to tell instead of being upset that it didn't follow an arc I would personally have preferred. I'm perfectly okay with the story they've chosen to tell and the ways they have chosen to tell it. The diversity of gameplay and traversal options throughout the levels is better than it has ever been, previous Halo games gave an illusion of player options, but Halo 5 pulls it off better than any previous game has, in my opinion.

People claiming Halo 5's campaign or multiplayer is bad, or worse than "any fps in the past ten years" need to reevaluate their subjectivism. Maybe it isn't what you personally wanted, but it is anything but bad you guys. Stop with your hyperboles internet it is getting out of control.

Perhaps I wonder if Halo could explore more of the sci fi aspect rather than shooting around in a different ground. Instead, everything feels so constricted in some tiny sandbox like the part with the Forerunner vehicle. I could have not been less disappointed in the space provided to fly around.

I wish you could jump from space carrier to carrier and watch them blow up rather than just fight waves of enemies that arrive on ships. The part with the
Scarab Giant Kraken
felt like something I've already done before.

There needs to be something new to the franchise to like how Nintendo did with 3D Mario World recently.

Maybe a section on space jumping or something. Why not even space flying with the suit? Something to keep the player entertained for each new level. A new gimmick rather than just Halo multiplayer controls against AI bots.

I guess Bungie experimented with those factors in Halo 3 and Reach, but hm. Maybe I'm just becoming jaded.

---------------------

Multiplayer is definitely very fun though.

Top Bottom