• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

Also concerning the plot:
I'm not entirely sure why Cortana's plan is supposed to be that evil. Of course it was evil to activate the Guardians in the first place as it caused a lot of destruction and killed thousands of people, but the actual plan to force a peace upon the galaxy doesn't sound bad at all.

Of course I can understand that the UNSC and UEG aren't big fans of the plan, as it would mean losing control over their colonies, but in general, Cortana's plans don't seem too bad.
There would have to be ulterior motives to her plan to actually make them evil in my eyes.

MauroNL

First time I'm trying the Halo multiplayer since early in Halo 3 and I must say....I suck harder then I thought. Haven't had a positive K/D ration in 6 games of slayer and have only won 1 of those matches. I guess I'm still rusty, even though I didn't have much issues finishing the campaign solo on Heroic.

Any tips for returning players? Haven't tried Warzone yet because I'm still a bit fuzzy on what it actually is, is there a quick summary or something? Also reqs is kinda complicated if you ask me. All these customs weapons and skins and stuff are only for Warzone or?

I'm not entirely sure why Cortana's plan is supposed to be that evil. Of course it was evil to activate the Guardians in the first place as it caused a lot of destruction and killed thousands of people, but the actual plan to force a peace upon the galaxy doesn't sound bad at all.

Of course I can understand that the UNSC and UEG aren't big fans of the plan, as it would mean losing control over their colonies, but in general, Cortana's plans don't seem too bad.
There would have to be ulterior motives to her plan to actually make them evil in my eyes.
The point is that she is forcing peace with the sacrifice of freedom.

Magwik

Banned

Nuclear deterrence lol
Also in regards to how the story is presented I've been referring to it as basically cliffnotes the game. Because there is no depth beyond simple story beats that would be found on a cliffnotes paper

Do you guys think MS will put a deal for Halo out on black friday or is it too soon.

Probably too soon. TMCC didn't go on sale on XBL until after the new year I believe.

I wish players who bought TMCC day 1 got a discount for Halo 5.

100% off because TMCC is still far from what was promised. "Play every Halo on dedicated servers, just the way you remember them before". Still waiting 343, still waiting.

The thing is, to me, it isn't really clear to what point freedom would be sacrificed. Democracy probably wouldn't be a thing anymore, but from what I understand hasn't been a thing for a long while in the Halo universe. In game, Cortana makes it seem like she basically wants to create an Utopian galaxy, which, in my eyes, sounds pretty rad.

MechDX

Had a great Halo flashback last night playing Halo 5:

Guy comes charging at me from the bottom of a ramp so I instinctively chucked a grenade. Didn't realize I had picked up a couple sticky grenades.....needless to say it stuck him right between the eyes. He paused for like a split second then came running towards me.

I was laughing so hard running backwards to get away before he blew up

clav

100% off because TMCC is still far from what was promised. "Play every Halo on dedicated servers, just the way you remember them before". Still waiting 343, still waiting.

My Halo 5 rental ends today. Beat the campaign in one sitting.

I think I'll pick it up digitally when it goes on sale.

I'm still bitter about TMCC, too.

clav

It's so stupid and naive though. You don't create giant moves like this without creating enemies.

How did an AI who single handledly helped MC defeat armadas become this dumb?

Obscured

As others have stated and as it is presented within the story, a forced peace and harmony is no true peace at all, but it is an interesting idea. Can a tyrant actually make things better? It is the idea that fear is the motivating factor, stick versus carrot even if the intent is sound.

The info in the intel also maybe points to the fact that maybe Cortana isn't completely Cortana. The unknown forerunner mentions he has an ancillia that offers to work with him and this is while he is still alive so obviously a long time ago. Later when he becomes part of the domain he mentions this ancilla is hunting him, but this seems to be the current time and he is referencing Cortana. At least that is how I am reading it. So how is it the same ancillia from a millennia ago and Cortana?

Perhaps that is part of the reason for her new armor. Can't wait for Halo 6 when we have missions of the game where we play as an embodied Cortana!

Unrelated, but since the Covenant is all but gone now I wonder if the Flood and/or Brutes will make an appearance in addition to Prometheans in the next one.

TrounceX

I absolutely hate how you cannot see nameplates from any type of distance. I have a really hard time distinguishing between teammates and enemies in this game. I'm pretty colorblind so I relied on those nameplates a lot.

Glass

^ Talking of name plates, they need to add something to distinguish your fireteam members in a match from the other guys on your team. In a party with one other person in Warzone and its way harder then it should be trying to find them. Such a simple thing I'm not sure why it's not in there.

Had a great Halo flashback last night playing Halo 5:

Guy comes charging at me from the bottom of a ramp so I instinctively chucked a grenade. Didn't realize I had picked up a couple sticky grenades.....needless to say it stuck him right between the eyes. He paused for like a split second then came running towards me.

I was laughing so hard running backwards to get away before he blew up

Not landed many sticky nades in 5, but when I do, they're as satisfying as ever.

clav

Also mute the lobby before start.

There are trolls who blast whiny music throughout the match.

This is what how many multiplayer games and no one can get the shutting down asshole mics right? There is a setting to change it, but eh, I'd still like to talk to the non-assholes. It's hard to see who's causing the noise with the tiny icons.

As others have stated and as it is presented within the story, a forced peace and harmony is no true peace at all, but it is an interesting idea. Can a tyrant actually make things better? It is the idea that fear is the motivating factor, stick versus carrot even if the intent is sound.

The info in the intel also maybe points to the fact that maybe Cortana isn't completely Cortana. The unknown forerunner mentions he has an ancillia that offers to work with him and this is while he is still alive so obviously a long time ago. Later when he becomes part of the domain he mentions this ancilla is hunting him, but this seems to be the current time and he is referencing Cortana. At least that is how I am reading it. So how is it the same ancillia from a millennia ago and Cortana?

Perhaps that is part of the reason for her new armor. Can't wait for Halo 6 when we have missions of the game where we play as an embodied Cortana!

Unrelated, but since the Covenant is all but gone now I wonder if the Flood and/or Brutes will make an appearance in addition to Prometheans in the next one.

Maybe the gravemind.

Magwik

Banned
Warzone can be so frustrating without any friends. Out of a team of 12 I feel like I'm the only person trying to do anything.

Sai

Anybody willing to do a Legendary run through the Campaign on co-op with me tomorrow? Would be nice if I could get a full party for it; there are a few Achievements I still want to snag as well.

Eastern Time Zone, here. Gamertag's in my profile.
Um... Anybody?

Should be available around 6PM EST.

Omni

Really?
She's essentially doing what the Flood was designed to do. Just with machines.

It's a nice throwback really. But yanno. You're taking away free will and all that stuff.

Fuchsdh

Probably my 3rd post on the subject, but I absolutely love Warzone Assault. It's amazing... The more I play it, the more I love the thought that went into designing these Warzone maps.

At first glance, Warzone Assualt does indeed seem like an exercise in grenade spam. But that's only when people don't understand the flow of the game.

Each base has quite a few entry points, and some are only available through skill jumps. That counter that, there are some very well placed defense point to cover those entry points; some inside and some outside each base.

When defending, your first Instict is to whole up inside, and try to survive a barrage of grenades to ward off attackers... But taking outside positions to keep attackers away from the base is just as import as having folks inside who can halt the capture process.

Likewise, many attackers think it wise to just bumrush an entrance, and start a war of attrition. But it might be wiser to try to capture the outside defensive points first. This gives defenders a harder time getting back to base after respawing. Done right, the roles actually reverse, and defenders find themselves on the outside looking in.

The more I play, the less I see a cluster fuck of grenades thrown at crouching defenders, and more people exploring ways to use the entire battlefield to their advantage...

Edit: I really can't get enough of this game mode...

I hope they bring something similar to BTB so we can see how it would work with ranked play.

It's definitely more fun to play solo or small groups, if you don't have a crew to make up most of the Warzone players.

And yeah, the good teams are the ones who recognize that disrupting the flow of reinforcements to the base is how you win. If I had a complaint with Warzone, it's that that strategy is really only effective on the first round—after that they've probably got enough inertia to take second base, and then with the core you do have to hole up.

Euron

I actually think that's the better map of the three. Rather fun around that middle part.
The best for me is the Island one only because it reminds me of The Silent Cartographer.

Warzone might honestly have been the best game mode in the series if vehicles were on the map. Maybe 343 can release a non-req version as a weekend playlist at some point.

Was able to record one of the best moments that I've seen during a Warzone match, absolutely hilarious.

THEGREATERGOOD

http://xboxclips.com/AlexanderVI/0a719004-30bc-45f1-8747-637a095b021e
This needs to be pinned to the OP in the next thread. The ultimate team player. RIP in peace Hunter Killer

STORY SPOILERS:
Honestly Cortana should've went gently into that good night. Despite the sensational jobbing they gave him, I wish Didact had remained the primary antagonist. As it stands, the only narrative contribution Halo 4 has made to this saga can be boiled down to "Infinity finds Chief".

Halo is behind Fifa in the most playing games part of XBL..This is beyond me. I think this proves that Warzone which was supposed to cover casual fanbase failed big time.

Really?
She's essentially doing what the Flood was designed to do. Just with machines.

It's a nice throwback really. But yanno. You're taking away free will and all that stuff.

Well, the Flood was a perverted way to create peace. If I remember correctly, it was/was created the precursors' punishment after the Forerunners betrayed them.

I'm still not completely sold on the whole ''taking away free will'' thing, If Cortana and her Guardians would only make sure there are no wars, poverty, disease, etc, how would that infringe on free will in a bad way. I personally don't see it as something bad to take someone's freedom (temporarily) if that person wants to hurt other people.

This is of course the most optimistic scenario, in my eyes. It probably won't be as good as I think it could be in Halo 6.

Halo is behind Fifa in the most playing games part of XBL..This is beyond me. I think this proves that Warzone which was supposed to cover casual fanbase failed big time.

Check again tonight... It'll be back behind fallout and blops. It's night time in Europe and those guys only play fifa.

Top Bottom