• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

EYEL1NER

Damn, GGs to Inconceivable. Those were really competitive matches. I tuned in right when the previous teams finished up and it looked like the rest of the days matches were pretty one-sided. The last hour or so was some good Halo though.

Ade

Do they force some of these people into suits? Whoever was just doing that interview then couldn't have looked more uncomfortable in that suit if it was made of bees.

Yeah, budget was probably different.

I don't watch any other esports so I'm not sure how it compares overall?

I don't watch anything esports regularly, but qualifiers for CSGO and COD are better by a considerable margin. Granted both are far larger competitively than Halo, but they're what I'd consider a standard for competitive FPS games.

They did. Granted the production budget for that was likely higher, but this still isn't great.

I mean, this is much less clean than their previous event broadcasts, especially with nonstop, never-ending audio issues (it helps if you aren't feeding multiple xbox's audio at the same time. But they are so we have this "tin" effect even as I type this). Repeating the same idiotic HWC2016 video during breaks yesterday (instead of showing some side-stage match, or hell, even talking to the crowd or something) which caused them to bleed viewers. They can't even be bothered to do audio leveling when switching casters/mics before feeding them in to the stream half the time.

Even stuff that isn't really the fault of the people running the event, like using generic gamertags in the earlier rounds, just comes off as amateurish and confusing for new viewers. It's not a new problem, but it only compounds another issue when they mislabel player cams and then even the casters are confused.

Comparing this to other eSports events wouldn't even be fair. I watch a lot of Starcraft events as well and any one of them would be beyond embarrassed to have an event of this quality standard. Even stuff like Wednesday Night Fights are more professional than this.

EDIT: I agree that the desk and the venue seem nicer, at least from what we can see on stream.

How do they announce these? I have the stream up but I'm mostly listening, and I somehow missed this.

They show up on stream and they'll usually make a quick note of it when they're posted.

EYEL1NER

How much more gets played today? I don't really ever watch any streamed championships, so I'm unclear of the format. The bracket they just showed that is slowly taking form with the seeds and the bye versus the pro teams, is that getting played today or is that to come tomorrow?

I mean, this is much less clean than their previous event broadcasts, especially with nonstop, never-ending audio issues (it helps if you aren't feeding multiple xbox's audio at the same time. But they are so we have this "tin" effect even as I type this). Repeating the same idiotic HWC2016 video during breaks yesterday (instead of showing some side-stage match, or hell, even talking to the crowd or something) which caused them to bleed viewers. They can't even be bothered to do audio leveling when switching casters/mics before feeding them in to the stream half the time.

Even stuff that isn't really the fault of the people running the event, like using generic gamertags in the earlier rounds, just comes off as amateurish and confusing for new viewers. It's not a new problem, but it only compounds another issue when they mislabel player cams and then even the casters are confused.

Comparing this to other eSports events wouldn't even be fair. I watch a lot of Starcraft events as well and any one of them would be beyond embarrassed to have an event of this quality standard. Even stuff like Wednesday Night Fights are more professional than this.

EDIT: I agree that the desk and the venue seem nicer, at least from what we can see on stream.

They show up on stream and they'll usually make a quick note of it when they're posted.

My post was a gut reaction, but yeah I agree with what you're saying. And I do think it's unfair to base this event on other, larger esports leagues. I just think there are a lot of missed opportunities, especially the ones you list.

Karl2177

Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is how they only have like 6 videos that they cycle through during the down time. Surely there's more content that they could air in the middle.

Akai__

#ProductionValue

I'm a fan of Shotzyy, though. For a 12 year old, he is pretty good.

EYEL1NER

Wow, congrats to Inconceivable for the win over EG. EG's CTF game seemed so much better in the first CTF match (despite losing it at the end) so I thought this would go to game 5, but nope. Inconceivable came back kind of shaky when they replayed game 2 but their Strongholds game in game 3 was on-point.

EDIT: Damn, Safari crashed as I was opening a req pack. Now I have no clue what I got. I've gotten so much cool stuff today though that it doesn't particularly matter too much. I was saying two nights ago that I wanted the AA Wraith and I got that on my third pack today.

Top Bottom