• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

Yep, gotta echo the disappointment in 343 for having HWC at fucking Burbank again.

They are not even trying at this point. Don't be surprised if we have to watch 30 minutes of HWC 2016 five times, since they can't put an ounce of effort into getting other videos or filling time with an analyst desk. Also expect audio problems, its 343's cup of tea.

edit:

It's pure comedy at this point. 2017 looked so promising.

Then we had the bogus ruling with Cratos getting a pro seed

The Vegas qualifier was bracket fucked, including the 8th seed inexplicably getting a bye and thus, a guarunteed top 12 finish. The seeding points system wasn't detailed until long AFTER the tournament was complete.

Now we're going through a mystifyingly stupid and unfair seeding format

The LATAM qualifier has been a clusterfuck of last minute changes and relentless confusion.

On the same day The EU venue was announced to be Wembley stadium (awesome) the Halo World Championship was (FINALLY) announced to be at fucking Burbank. Why was that such a tightly held secret?

It's hilarious to think that the biggest Halo tournament of the year will be held at a shittier venue than all the others.

What a disaster

TCKaos

The Greater Ark and all of the larger Halos were destroyed before the activation of the Halo Array. The only remaining one left is Installation 07 (reconfigured to be smaller.)

Wait, did that happen in the third book? I never read after the first in the Forerunner trilogy because I'm dyslexic and don't have the patience for the kind of reading that first book asked you to do.

Ade

Wait, did that happen in the third book? I never read after the first in the Forerunner trilogy because I'm dyslexic and don't have the patience for the kind of reading that first book asked you to do.

Yup, In Silentium.

If you're not into reading them, Id suggest the audiobooks, they're on Audible, so can be had cheaply

Fuchsdh

Yep.

As Ade said, you can get an audiobook version. I highly recommend it; I think I said for our FUD podcast when the book came out that Silentium was good enough that if they'd just packed up the Halo franchise at that point and said "we're done", I'd have been satisfied. Brought together a lot of stuff nicely, paid off on some story beats that had been laying around for more than a decade.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Cant remember if they did this for the last WC, but their is stuff beyond the main stage with a Festival area larger than the main stage.

IHaveIce

Banned
And before anyone says Halo is not popular anymore to host bigger tournaments with better venues... Gears has fantastic tournaments with really good venues with MLG right now

either 343 or MS have no interest to spend a reasonable amount to get their esport branch growing. The big prizepools are nice but aren't going to grow the scene

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The hcs stuff, i just dont get it. So many bad decisions, so many backwards steps. It shouldnt be this hard. There has got to be some higher up the food chain that ultimately calls the shots and has no idea what he/she is doing. Poor che/tashi/esl getting the brunt of their poor choices with little they can do. Its sad. Ms, figure this shit out. Put someine that knows what they are doing and can make it happen in the captains seat.

I want to love you but baby you making this harder than it needs to be.

CyReN

Rebuild the HCS after this season, whoever running it now is destroying anything the competitive community has left.

op_ivy

Rebuild the HCS after this season, whoever running it now is destroying anything the competitive community has left.

At this point it just seems like they are going through the motions until halo 6. Its bullshit. This community has so much energy, so much passion, and it just isnt respected.

Detective

At this point it just seems like they are going through the motions until halo 6. Its bullshit. This community has so much energy, so much passion, and it just isnt respected.

I bet you that Halo 6 will launch and 5 still have unfixed problems.

There is a very good reasons why 5 has so fucking low population.

op_ivy

I bet you that Halo 6 will launch and 5 still have unfixed problems.

There is a very good reasons why 5 has so fucking low population.

Of course it will. And 343 is still so hesitant to make changes

I wonder if Halo 6 will have the competitive focus that Halo 5 did at launch. I'm kinda hoping 343/MS just focus on making a fun feature rich game ala Halo 3 and let the community determine how competitive Halo is set up and played.

I was cheering for 343 at first cuz I thought this could of been a CSGO Valve situation with official rulesets in MM, but 343 has been awful at it imo.

I know I'm generally harsher then you all regarding H5, but I'm hoping Halo 6 is more than just little tweaks as rumored.

Do we think we'll see Halo 6 at E3?

op_ivy

Im captain positive but am still fed up with how the pro scene has failed to maximize what h5 offers and has even regressed. Utter mismanagement. Shocking.

Cranster

Banned
I wonder if Halo 6 will have the competitive focus that Halo 5 did at launch. I'm kinda hoping 343/MS just focus on making a fun feature rich game ala Halo 3 and let the community determine how competitive Halo is set up and played.

I was cheering for 343 at first cuz I thought this could of been a CSGO Valve situation with official rulesets in MM, but 343 has been awful at it imo.

I know I'm generally harsher then you all regarding H5, but I'm hoping Halo 6 is more than just little tweaks as rumored.
They need to focus less on competitive play in general. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were popular because of their features and ability to cater to more than just one style of gameplay let alone the map variety.

Yup their contract with esl was a mistake.

However their first part of post dlc was phenomenal. Now that its slowed to molasses, we are getting bored. Stricken with server and match making woes, many just left and never looked back.

Im on the fence tbh. Tried last night some wz but didnt finish the game. I know ill play a good amount when the next update comes though.

"When you first saw Halo, were you blinded by its majesty?"

giphy.gif

I'm absolutely loving the Halo Wars 2 story it has everything for me the art style, story, cutscenes, dialog etc since the beginning I already knew it but now it's more than obvious it looks way better than the one on Halo 5, I'm a Halo fan since the first day the franchise was born and I'm very hyped about HW2

ALL UNITS!

Trup1aya

Do we think we'll see Halo 6 at E3?

What competive focus? People keep saying this. Makes no sense. They threw some money on having a competive scene, but the game is no more competive than any of the first 3.

Now if you were to simply ask if h6 will be more feature complete- i sure hope so. Social features and gametypes were sorely lacking. Not because of too much competitiveness. Just a stripped out engine that left a lot to be rebuilt.

Yup, you just can’t throw money at it. It might work for a little while (the first HCS is proof of that). However, when you have pros and players complaining nonstop about the state of the game. You need to fix your game first then you throw a bunch of money at it.

Trup1aya

And before anyone says Halo is not popular anymore to host bigger tournaments with better venues... Gears has fantastic tournaments with really good venues with MLG right now

either 343 or MS have no interest to spend a reasonable amount to get their esport branch growing. The big prizepools are nice but aren't going to grow the scene

I dont even think its about spending. I dont think venues have to be amazing.

People just want them to be located in logical places. And they want tournament structures that are fair, rewarding and exciting. This 343/esl partnership has repeatedly avoided these things. These concepts are so simple, that its impressive the lengths they'll go to fail them.

343 doesnt even do the cheap things help the scene grow- like keep team skins available in-game, or use the halo twitter to tweet streams, or show matches that people actually want to see during everyday of a competition, or have a website that is up to date or use Pros and Teambeyond.net (the largest community of competitive Halo players and fans) for valuable feedback.

So its confirmed MCC will never be fixed

"Believe it or not, MCC is, as best I've been able to surmise, a fragile house of cards. Touch this thing here and those 5 things over there inexplicably fall apart. If it were trivial then we wouldn't be in this situation and issues would've been addressed long ago. Truth is that it's a Pandora's box with a very high level of risk or it would already be done and it's complicated by the fact that it was constructed by multiple teams, some of which no longer exist"

"It's certainly possible that ultimately nothing is feasible. I'm just trying to keep it real and manage expectations correctly. I think people have already been hanging on to hope for so long that I just want some closure for everyone."

I want my money back smh

Yup, you just can’t throw money at it. It might work for a little while (the first HCS is proof of that). However, when you have pros and players complaining nonstop about the state of the game. You need to fix your game first then you throw a bunch of money at it.

Hes alive. Omg next up is braxxzy with a gif reply

I dont even think its about spending. I dont think venues have to be amazing.

People just want them to be located in logical places. And they want tournament structures that are fair, rewarding and exciting. This 343/esl partnership has repeatedly avoided these things. These concepts are so simple, that its impressive the lengths they'll go to fail them.

343 doesnt even do the cheap things help the scene grow- like keep team skins available in-game, or use the halo twitter to tweet streams, or show matches that people actually want to see during everyday of a competition, or have a website that is up to date or use Pros and Teambeyond.net (the largest community of competitive Halo players and fans) for valuable feedback.

Common Sense

Pick one

Cranster

Banned

"Believe it or not, MCC is, as best I've been able to surmise, a fragile house of cards. Touch this thing here and those 5 things over there inexplicably fall apart. If it were trivial then we wouldn't be in this situation and issues would've been addressed long ago. Truth is that it's a Pandora's box with a very high level of risk or it would already be done and it's complicated by the fact that it was constructed by multiple teams, some of which no longer exist"

"It's certainly possible that ultimately nothing is feasible. I'm just trying to keep it real and manage expectations correctly. I think people have already been hanging on to hope for so long that I just want some closure for everyone."

I want my money back smh
That's not a confirmation of anything.

They need to focus less on competitive play in general. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were popular because of their features and ability to cater to more than just one style of gameplay let alone the map variety.
Halo 5 does just as much, if not more than H2/H3 to cater to all types of gameplay. Halo CE was such a massive hit that Halo 2's success/popularity was inevitable, especially thanks to matchmaking at the time. Now amplify that reach to millions of people investing countless hours into multiplayer and you get Halo 3's popularity.

I don't think they need to focus less on competitive play, rather I'd like to see more modes designed around an "everyone is a winner" mentality as to attract those intimidated by regular Spartan vs Spartan interactions. Things like expanding Firefight's offerings, perhaps designing a mode where stats aren't shown for other players similar to Overwatch. It's more than just content that's offered too; it's rethinking conventional Halo multiplayer design without taking away the modes and features people have come to love. So the scoreboard can be the same for Arena modes, but explain to me why in Halo's supposed most casual mode, Warzone, is there such an emphasis on stats? Either through incentives like grinding commendations to get Achilles or the desire to be at the top of the leaderboard with 50+ kills, not even H5's most casual mode is that casual lol.

What competive focus? People keep saying this. Makes no sense. They threw some money on having a competive scene, but the game is no more competive than any of the first 3.

Now if you were to simply ask if h6 will be more feature complete- i sure hope so. Social features and gametypes were sorely lacking. Not because of too much competitiveness. Just a stripped out engine that left a lot to be rebuilt.

The game launched with primarily competitive queues and focused on that while ignoring social/casual options.

The game's core was built around what they thought should be the competetive settings (look at the multiplayer vidocs).

The game feels too difficult and unwieldy to the average player. I tried so hard to get other friends into it and they just got frustrated/overwhelmed/bored.

343's focus on the competitive core even made them ignore bigger maps and has had to rely on community forgers, which is pathetic. I don't care if some play well or not, it's plain ugly as sin compared to what we get in other games.

Fuchsdh

I want my money back smh

Who actually believed it would ever be 100% bug-free?

Woorloog

Banned
H5 mp feels like it needs too much effort. Doesn't feel like something i can play casually but still do well like in previous Halos and have fun. Very different from Battlefront where i turn my brain off and still do very well (that might be a bit too casual), or Destiny PVP where i do OK with good weapons.

Doesn't help BTB is forge maps and Banshees and there's no social slayer...

Everyone before Launch? The fuck? People expected for all the games to work as they promised.
But I get where you coming from, you shouldn't expect anything right from 343
At this point in time, almost 3 years after TMCC released, who actually expected anything more than that comment you quoted?

I believe that's what Fuchs was getting at, and it's hard to disagree with that point.

Trup1aya

The game launched with primarily competitive queues and focused on that while ignoring social/casual options.

The game's core was built around what they thought should be the competetive settings (look at the multiplayer vidocs).

The game feels too difficult and unwieldy to the average player. I tried so hard to get other friends into it and they just got frustrated/overwhelmed/bored.

343's focus on the competitive core even made them ignore bigger maps and has had to rely on community forgers, which is pathetic. I don't care if some play well or not, it's plain ugly as sin compared to what we get in other games.

Cumbersome doesn't = competitive.

The vidocs were a marketing tool meant to highlight a return to fair start Arena-styled gameplay. You heard a bunch of buzz words like Esports and Pro Team, but Halo 5 is balanced much in the same vein as Vanilla H2, after the update.

There's nothing wrong with ensuring that the base game is competitively viable. That doesn't have to come at the expense of a game having social gametypes and tools.

Yes the game is cumbersome (you basically need to have an elite controller to handle all the inputs) and yes it was light on content, but that clearly had more to do with poor prioritization. Naturally, standard 4v4 Halo will get a large chunck of dev time. But Warzone (not competitively viable at all) got much of the development focus, at the expense of other social gametypes and tools we've come to expect.

mo60

WFF firefight especially heroic firefight is more casual then warzone at this point even though higher SR players will obviously do better in the mode then lower ones. You don't have to worry about sweating much while playing heroic firefight.

Cumbersome doesn't = competitive.

The vidocs were a marketing tool meant to highlight a return to fair start Arena-styled gameplay. You heard a bunch of buzz words like Esports and Pro Team, but Halo 5 is balanced much in the same vein as Vanilla H2, after the update.

There's nothing wrong with ensuring that the base game is competitively viable. That doesn't have to come at the expense of a game having social gametypes and tools.

Yes the game is cumbersome (you basically need to have an elite controller to handle all the inputs) and yes it was light on content, but that clearly had more to do with poor prioritization. Naturally, standard 4v4 Halo will get a large chunck of dev time. But Warzone (not competitively viable at all) got much of the development focus, at the expense of other social gametypes and tools we've come to expect.

Guess I'm just accidentally talking past you, because I completely agree with everything you said. Fair point regarding the "cumbersome" nature of it.

Woorloog

Banned
WFF firefight especially heroic firefight is more casual then warzone at this point even though higher SR players will obviously do better in the mode then lower ones. You don't have to worry about sweating much while playing heroic firefight.
Any firefight that is not ODST firefight sucks.
And it is not player vs player mode.

Hell, WZ is not nearly as much fun as i thought it would be. It just isn't traditional Halo.

Any firefight that is not ODST firefight sucks.
And it is not player vs player mode.

Hell, WZ is not nearly as much fun as i thought it would be. It just isn't traditional Halo.

Because at this point the meta is set and players have way too many powerful stuff to snowball things, it was quite fun at launch when the majority of a match are BR duels.

I rolled with the tac mag /h2 br / radar armor perk and a camo. Got me about 18 kills that game.

Then we hit lvl 7 and i couldnt leave my base. So i left

Woorloog

Banned
Because at this point the meta is set and players have way too many powerful stuff to snowball things, it was quite fun at launch when the majority of a match are BR duels.
No comment on launch, wasn't there.
Buying weapons and vehicles isn't fun. In traditional BTB i do things based on what i find. In WZ i'm locked to what i start with during a life, it is not dynamic enough. Plus not getting access to everything from the get go is annoying. (A proper class-based game doesn't have this issue because the game is dynamic differently.)

H5 mp feels like it needs too much effort. Doesn't feel like something i can play casually but still do well like in previous Halos and have fun. Very different from Battlefront where i turn my brain off and still do very well (that might be a bit too casual), or Destiny PVP where i do OK with good weapons.

Doesn't help BTB is forge maps and Banshees and there's no social slayer...

I somewhat agree with this. Every time I played H5, I had to be playing my best or I just got shit on. It didn't matter if I was playing ranked against Champs or just some WZ. I actually found WZ to be more frustrating than ranked. Due to all the teams you run into. At least in arena, matches would be over quickly, but players would farm the shit out of you for 20 minutes in WZ. WZ also had an extremely high power vacuum. You didn't see it as much when the game first came out because people where still unlocking different reqs and games weren't flooded by them. However, the longer the game has been out, the more reqs players had and it just turned into this snowball effect. Who gives a shit if I lose my Nornfang, I have like 20 more. This led me to hating WZ. It was supposed to be a ”casual mode", but it wasn't anything close to it due to all the teams farming for Achilles and the game being swamped by high level reqs.

So let's talk about actual ranked modes then. The ranking system is decent; however there are some serious flaws to it. There needed to be some sort of rank decay. You could stop playing for months and then come back and still be playing against Onyxes and Champs. However, the biggest issue for me was the lack of rewards. Everyone got the same reward, just some lame ass nameplate the looks the same every month. So what's the point of trying to go higher? The higher you get the longer your que times will be. There really is no reason to give a shit about your rank. Congratulations, you're a Champ. You get the same reward as this Bronze dude, oh and it resets in a month. There's no way for people to even see your rank unless you go through some crappy UI or Waypoint. For instance, in Overwatch you can work on getting golden skins. Better players will get them faster, but everyone who plays rank can still get them. H5 has no ranked incentives whatsoever; the mode is honestly pointless the more I think about it.

However, probably one of the biggest reasons why I quit, I just wasn't having fun. I don't know how to explain it, but the game just wasn't fun for me near the end. H5 had some really great gameplay, but there are just so many core problems not related to the gameplay that ruined it for me. I used to play the shit out of FF in Reach. I had days of playtime just in FF. WZFF on the other hand was just so mediocre. It didn't capture the fun of FF at all. It was just a bunch of bullet sponge enemies with super long respawns to make it ”challenging." The most fun I had in H5 was with modes like Super Fiesta and things of that nature. They tried to capture that with bringing back Action Sack, but they ruin it with shit like Tank World. Fuck Tank World. It seems like for every step forward 343i makes they go back five.

There are a lot of times I actually think about coming back and playing. I do miss the gameplay and community. Then I just think about all the things I listed and it's a huge turn off. Plus having to download 100GB doesn't help. Anyways I'll stop here. I could easily keep ranting on more, but whatever I'll shut up.

BTB pistol starts

Top Bottom