• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

GravyButt

I haven't played this, well since it released. Got hurt and put it aside and totally forgot about it until today.

Hows the online? Worth jumping into? Especially for someone that was always pretty meh skill wise on halo?

XNarte

I haven't played this, well since it released. Got hurt and put it aside and totally forgot about it until today.

Hows the online? Worth jumping into? Especially for someone that was always pretty meh skill wise on halo?

As someone who has played Halo since 1 and has always been meh to good online, Halo 5 is pretty tough. The aiming has never felt perfect for me even after tweaking the settings a million times, and some players are brutally fast killers with the starting pistol even. But, the sandbox of tools and moves at your disposal has arguably never been better and there is a ton more content now than at launch. Also, if you find yourself getting wrecked in Arena, Warzone Firefight is a great versus-A.I. mode to dive into and unlock tons of REQ points for new stuff.

BizzyBum

Is Gringo still lurking? Got a guy in the HaloGAF Discord (may it rest in pepperonis) who says he applied to the Company

Yeah, he's still here.

If Gringo is up to it I can make another r/HaloPlayers thread and get some last minute activity boost with some new members.

Haruko

Well, as a heads up to Gringo: one of my friends in the company (VMVash) was hit by a car a week or so ago; he's home recovering but hasn't been on recently as a result.

BizzyBum

Well, as a heads up to Gringo: one of my friends in the company (VMVash) was hit by a car a week or so ago; he's home recovering but hasn't been on recently as a result.

No excuses.

You thought this was going to say /s, right? Nope.

Nah, hope he gets well soon, that sucks.

jem0208

To each his own, but...

At any given moment, your no more than 4 kills from winning/losing. I'm not sure how your actions can feel 'inconsequential' in that scenario. Sure sometimes you don't get the last guy, but 15 seconds is an eternity on these tiny maps. how many rounds typically end in a tie?

I just had a game which is a perfect example of why I don't think the mode is very good.

I went 23 for 4, one of my teammates went 17 for 5. The enemy team had a grand total of 15 kills vs our 50.

Guess what? The game ended in a tie, 1-1.

QwGDb4h.jpg

The vast majority of what I did in that game had absolutely no impact on the outcome, that's what I mean by how it feels inconsequential.

To clarify further I feel like the mode has very little depth to it. The entire time I find myself just running around looking for the next kill. It's not like slayer where you need to think about map control and setting up for the next weapon/powerup. Map control is almost non-existent in this mode because the maps are tiny and as soon as you get a couple of kills you need to be running around looking for the last guy alive. You just don't really need to think much. It's more hide and seek than Halo IMO.

Trup1aya

I just had a game which is a perfect example of why I don't think the mode is very good.

I went 23 for 4, one of my teammates went 17 for 5. The enemy team had a grand total of 15 kills vs our 50.

Guess what? The game ended in a tie, 1-1.

QwGDb4h.jpg

The vast majority of what I did in that game had absolutely no impact on the outcome, that's what I mean by how it feels inconsequential.

To clarify further I feel like the mode has very little depth to it. The entire time I find myself just running around looking for the next kill. It's not like slayer where you need to think about map control and setting up for the next weapon/powerup. Map control is almost non-existent in this mode because the maps are tiny and as soon as you get a couple of kills you need to be running around looking for the last guy alive. You just don't really need to think much. It's more hide and seek than Halo IMO.

I think the game would be better if most kills in a round won the round... but there are limitations when the gametype is dependent on forge scripting.

Still, it's possible for an outslayed team to win or tie in any other objective game mode. That's not inherently a flaw.

There's really no excuse for your team to be unable to finishing game out with a win beyond not understanding the spawns (which is possible at this point).... you even got a triple! That should be a guaranteed win.

jem0208

I think the game would be better if most kills in a round won the round... but there are limitations when the gametype is dependent on forge scripting.

Still, it's possible for an outslayed team to win or tie in any other objective game mode. That's not inherently a flaw.

There's really no excuse for your team to be unable to finishing this game out with a win beyond not understanding the spawns.... your teammates must have been garbage tier... you even got a triple - 15 secs to kill 1 person.

In an objective game, if a team wins despite being outslayed they're superior at the controlling the objective.

In Extermination if a team wins despite being outplayed they're superior at hiding.

Even if you changed it so that the team with the most kills wins the round it doesn't make up for the lack of depth in the mode. It's still just going to be about running around looking for kills.

Trup1aya

In an objective game, if a team wins despite being outslayed they're superior at the controlling the objective.

In Extermination if a team wins despite being outplayed they're superior at hiding.

Or they got exterminations When it counted while the losing team kept cycling spawns.

But yeah I agree, it could use a secondary win condition.

jem0208

Worse at completing the objective

Hide and seek is a shit objective.

And again, this doesn't make up for the fact that the mode has no depth. There's basically no strategy involved beyond push as hard as you can as soon as they're a man down. It's just boring.

Trup1aya

And again, this doesn't make up for the fact that the mode has no depth. There's basically no strategy involved beyond push as hard as you can as soon as they're a man down. It's just boring.

The objective isn't to hide. It's to exterminate the enemy team.

Hiding is a tactic, that CAN be used to avoid being exterminated. In my experience, the small size of the maps, and the lengthy respawn timers limit how effective that tactic is. Generally, when a team has numbers they should be able to find and kill the remaining players- as they get to control powerups and weapons.

There are strategies, that mainly involve blocking spawns and controlling power weapons, ala Slayer. But it's a social gametype, so I don't expect many to take it to that level.

That said, the gametype could stand to be improved if it wasnt limited by the reality of it being entirely made in forge.

I'd like to see rounds be awarded to the team with the most kills, to further limit the effectiveness of hiding- forcing teams who are behind in a round to actually get exterminations to turn the tide rather than wiping all progress when the clock strike zero. Removing radar and AR would also help with this.

At the end of the day, though, to each his own. There's no gametype that is universally liked by everyone.

Karl2177

Going off the Gem Rule, this gametype is probably dope and the second coming of Jesus. I'm gonna hop on and see how amazing this gametype is.

It's fun in Extermination when you're the last person alive on a bad team and you squeeze out a tie or a last second turn around to win. If it was purely about kills then it'd be a baby version of Slayer, but it's not.
Plenty of depth. You just don't like it and that's fine, but it's a different gametype that provides fast, explosive gameplay and demands quick decision making. Never a slow moment, even when you're the last player alive vs 4 enemies.

I'm tired of slow Halo and chasing one shots around large maps, so Extermination provides a nice change.

FyreWulff

I'm surprised 343i hasn't added a classic sound effects DLC for $10 or something.

I wouldn't be surprised, they did talk about how they had the cancelled skull in CEA that had all the sound effects replaced with comedy mouth sounds, so being able to change weapon sounds is certainly in the development aether over there. Is that the right term? I'll stick with it.

As Cranster points out though, it's tons of work. People would be surprised how many distinct sounds are needed to make a complete sandbox of sound for guns.

edit: and as the consoles get more RAM and customers demand more fidelity, the amount keeps multiplying.

Black Ops 2 is in 2nd place on XBL, behind NBA 2K17 and in front of GTA 5...you know games that haven't completely changed their base mechanics. :)

p.s. Extermination is amazing. It's what breakout should of been.

p.s.s. Apparently 343 knows what is causing heavy aim and *might* be able to fix it. Now idk if "heavy aim" is the base input lag/underlying unresponsiveness or if it's how the aiming changes game to game and minute to minute. I'm hoping its the former.

Black Ops 2 is in 2nd place on XBL, behind NBA 2K17 and in front of GTA 5...you know games that haven't completely changed their base mechanics. :)

p.s.s. Apparently 343 knows what is causing heavy aim and *might* be able to fix it. Now idk if "heavy aim" is the base input lag/underlying unresponsiveness or if it's how the aiming changes game to game and minute to minute. I'm hoping its the former.

I mean, how are we still talking about aiming problems in a 2015 halo game?

jem0208

It's fun in Extermination when you're the last person alive on a bad team and you squeeze out a tie or a last second turn around to win. If it was purely about kills then it'd be a baby version of Slayer, but it's not.

Plenty of depth. You just don't like it and that's fine, but it's a different gametype that provides fast, explosive gameplay and demands quick decision making. Never a slow moment, even when you're the last player alive vs 4 enemies.

I'm tired of slow Halo and chasing one shots around large maps, so Extermination provides a nice change.

It's high paced and explosive because the entire mode revolves around pushing.

Also I'm not claiming it doesn't have depth because I don't like it, compared to any other mode in 5 it's very shallow. I guess there's nothing wrong with that considering it's just a social mode but it's not as amazing as everyone is making it out to be.

Trup1aya

Re: BlOps2

the formula for a great halo game has already been written, they just have to embrace it

Re: p.s.

Facts

Re: p.s.s.

I think heavy aim is the latter. And if I had to choose it's the one I'd want fixed. But I hope they are both related to the same damn issue and both get resolved.

Also I'm not claiming it doesn't have depth because I don't like it, compared to any other mode in 5 it's very shallow. I guess there's nothing wrong with that considering it's just a social mode but it's not as amazing as everyone is making it out to be.
It's okay that amazing things aren't amazing to some people. Doesn't make it any less amazing. Amazing.
Re: BlOps2

the formula for a great halo game has already been written, they just have to embrace it
Combat Evolved 2

Halo 5 with classic sounds.

Seriously, 343i needs to bring back classic sound effects to Halo 6. It's part of the appeal of Halo.

The difference is night and day.

Also, Extermination is similar to Dodgeball in Gears 4. If you don't like those types of gametypes that's fine. I just think the main strength of the gametype is the maps and how Halo 5 feels on it. It plays well to the sandbox of Halo 5--better than any other gametype IMO.

Trup1aya

When I read stuff like this it makes me nervous that 343 doesn't understand where H5s campaign went wrong.

Playing as Chief more would be great for fan service, but it wouldn't make the narrative compelling.

Introducing characters isn't bad. But when there's zero character development, it's wasted opportunity.

Halo 5 with classic sounds.

Seriously, 343i needs to bring back classic sound effects to Halo 6. It's part of the appeal of Halo.

Part of the reason everything sounded bassy as fuck back then was to accommodate for shitty TVs, though. Now that people are playing on PC / using Sennheiser Poopsock Murderball headsets / have surround sound etc. they can afford to equalize the audio in less overbearing ways. There's also significantly less of a loudness war going on with game audio, Mick Gordon notwithstanding - most of those sounds didn't sound anywhere near as powerful on the original setups because they were getting compressed by game hardware on top of using bad speakers. The whole "classic sounds were way more menacing" thing is definitely a case of rose-tinted glasses because we couldn't actually appreciate the sounds in the same way back then.

Back when they were revealing weapon fire SFX for Reach, it was also clear things were significantly getting bumped up compared to, say, Halo 3's AR.

The whole "classic sounds were way more menacing" thing is definitely a case of rose-tinted glasses because we couldn't actually appreciate the sounds in the same way back then.
I'm trying to understand this, but I'm failing to do so. Care to explain? What does appreciating the sounds have anything to do with how they actually sound? For example, side by side the CE Pistol sounds more menacing than the H5 Pistol. How does an appreciation for how audio tech is handled today change that? Maybe I'm missing something.

Fuchsdh

I'm trying to understand this, but I'm failing to do so. Care to explain? What does appreciating the sounds have anything to do with how they actually sound? For example, side by side the CE Pistol sounds more menacing than the H5 Pistol. How does an appreciation for how audio tech is handled today change that? Maybe I'm missing something.

The H:CE pistol sounds punchier, but it's also a different weapon than the H5 pistol.

More to the point, the audio in that clip is terrible. Everything is blasting loudly and it sounds like a cacophonous mess.

What I'm saying is that things have improved significantly in terms of the sound engineering relative to the intent of the weapon. Yeah, the H5G Pistol doesn't sound as good as the CE one, but it's not supposed to - it's designed as a more utilitarian (but still effective) sidearm, not a dedicated explosive round-spewing murder beam. If we're talking about weapons actually designed to sound like they're at the top of the food chain, e.g. rockets, shotguns or snipers, the H5G versions sound considerably more punchy.

Another thing with the sound design relative to the sandbox is competition, or rather identity. The closest thing the CE Magnum had to ranged hitscan competition was the Sniper Rifle - exactly one other weapon, both of which still had very recognizable audio cues, visuals, etc.

Looking at H5G's sandbox, its magnum has substantially more competition than before in terms of a generic category like "ranged hitscan weapon" - even if you make that more specific and say, like, "ranged UNSC hitscan weapons", you're still having to account for the BR, DMR, Sniper, any silenced / suppressed variants, and so on and so forth. The H5G magnum might sound "chirpier" compared to some of the other weapons because it has to be able to stand out in a firefight so that you know if you're getting hit by a DMR or a pistol, and with H5G's sandbox being 100+ weapons strong including variants they have to make some compromises in order to make sure all the weapons are still distinguishable.

I'm asking you about the correlation between previous weapons sounding more "menacing" and the "appreciation" of audio tech advancements.

You mentioned the nostalgia glasses over a matter of what exists ("fact" being some previous weapons sound more "menacing"), so I'm guessing it was just hyperbole to convey a tangential point of game design. For example, "Halo 3 has the best multiplayer" is a statement that can be argued based in rose-tinted glasses because it's subjective, however something like "the CE AR sounds more powerful than the H3 AR" is not; it's just what it is. No matter of "appreciation" will change the truth/believability of the AR sounding more powerful than the H3 AR. The two are not correlated.

So to further clarify, people thinking that some weapons in the previous games sound more "menacing" is not because nostalgia is blinding them, rather because they.. you know.. think the weapons sound more menacing when making a direct comparison lol.

Remember how occasionally Halo 4 would flip audio channels for some noises and not others, so you couldn't tell if you were getting naded from the left or right?

LOL, I did this without game glitches last week, put in a new set of in ear headphones, mixed up left and right, and it took me a couple of deaths to realise what the hell was going on and why Halo felt weird.

Top Bottom