• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Karl2177

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but Xbox One launched in 2013. Halo 4 launched in 2012. It could have used another year in the oven. Knowing what we know now, it probably would have been best to wait a year or two and have Halo 4 be a launch title for the Xbox One. I'm just brainstorming a release cycle based on mainline titles and remasters, where it keeps the every 3rd year having a mainline game and anniversaries are honored on their 10 year.

• 2011: Halo CE Anniversary, just like they did.
  • 2012: Spinoff game based on Reach engine, similar to Halo 3: ODST
  • 2013: Halo 4 on Xbox One
  • 2014: Halo 2 Anniversary standalone
  • 2015: Halo Wars 2
  • 2016: Halo 5
  • 2017: Halo 3 Anniversary standalone
  • 2018: Halo Trilogy collection - contains Halo 1,2,3 remasters and full multiplayer suites for all 3
  • 2019: Halo 6
  • 2020: Hindsight -- (probably don't need Reach or ODST remasters)

JlNX

What makes you think people are underestimating that?

A modern engine would be a valuable asset to the franchise, and the company as a whole should they choose to use it for other IP as well...

Look at how ForzaTech has paid off...

ForzaTech isn't a new engine, it's the same engine with a new name with a ton of upgrades to push current generation graphics. Turn10 is just an incredibly technically advanced studio.

I would have prefered they started on an engine INSTEAD of H4. The 360 didn't need another halo game. Xbox one could have benefited from having a mainline Halo game, earlier, that was also a technical showpiece.

We waited 3 holidays for a new mainline halo. That's pretty cray considering no big MS action title to fill the gap.

To be fair Halo 4 is easily top 5 best looking games of last generation, if you look at it in MCC at 1080p with no other upgrades it's hard to believe that game came out on the 360. That was due to at the time the head of the Halo engine being Corinne Yu, who is very ahead in her field and pushed what the 360 could do but to the negative of the Halo sandbox. Where as the current engine team at 343 have a different direction, taking I think smartly a leaf out of Turn10's book by putting framerate ahead of everything else. Doing a locked 60fps on a warzone map like escape from ARC with all thats happening on screen and in terms of the sandbox simulation is incredibly impressive. It might not show in visuals but it shows in gameplay.

I'm sure on their second go round with the engine were they are not having to:
  • Update the engine for current generation
  • While building the game
  • While having development issues
  • While dealing with the early Xb1 XDK
  • While taking a engine that was specifically optimised for 30fps
  • That had with Halo 4 been scaled back to a linear shooter
  • Making it run at a locked 60fps
  • While making it be able to render large areas at said locked 60fps
I'm sure not having to deal with all that plus other issues we probably don't know about that they can do a lot better, with Halo 4 they showed they are a very technically advanced studio anyway. Look at how 60fps shooters look now later into the generation with Wolfenstein, Doom, COD WW2 etc which all don't have to deal with the massive environments of a halo game and Doom isn't a locked 60 and we don't know about COD yet but based on other COD's unlikely. Let's see what they can do with X now, I assume MS internal teams have been given a priority to push X. A good example is the learning Naught Dog made from LOU remastered to Uncharted 4 to now LOU2. I can understand that some want them to make the campaign 30 and keep multiplayer 60, but personally I disagree.

Forge was properly supported in 5, and did it make a huge difference in terms of player base? Not that i could tell.

Its a "nice to have" but if the rest aint great, Forge wont matter.
I'd disagree. In addition to it coming out late, maps were very slow to be implemented. My opinion also is that if 343 isn't refreshing the competitive playlist with all the decent maps being made then it's not being used properly. How shameful is it that Pegasus is literally the only forge map used in ranked games still? I posted a while ago that if forge isn't going to be used more efficiently and more quickly I'd rather 343 just not waste the time putting it in Halo 6. An unpopular opinion but I don't play the quirky social stuff like infection, breakout, and some of the playlists that have actually inserted forge maps. So to me forge is almost entirely a waste. Love playing the same 5-6 maps 2 years after launch in slayer. Pure awesome! Can't blame players for losing interest really.

Poor implementation of Forge maps isn't a 343 exclusive thing. Bungie only put them in a Bungie day playlist or something like that, and after that, it was gone.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but Xbox One launched in 2013. Halo 4 launched in 2012. It could have used another year in the oven. Knowing what we know now, it probably would have been best to wait a year or two and have Halo 4 be a launch title for the Xbox One. I'm just brainstorming a release cycle based on mainline titles and remasters, where it keeps the every 3rd year having a mainline game and anniversaries are honored on their 10 year.

• 2018: Halo Trilogy collection - contains Halo 1,2,3 remasters and full multiplayer suites for all 3
  • 2021: Halo CE Anniversary 2, HCEA Anniversary, etc.

The existing engine is already redeveloped and ongoing upgrades/fixes/changes right now for H6/X1X. The investment for X1X and X1 in the next 2-3 game releases isn't worth a brand new engine. 343 already undertook an engine redevelopment with H4 and H5. They'd have specific teams for this in house going at it for years already and many more years into the future.

There's no way they're bringing in an outside engine IMO, they'd lose the look and more importantly feel of Halo in games. What they really need to redevelop for game engine is the gametype scripting and playlist deployment. Graphically H4 was a powerhouse and technically H5 delivers one of the most rock solid 60fps games on Xbox ever. Given the under powered nature of X1 I'm expecting big leaps for the engine/X1X and Halo e.g. splitscreen, native res. As for the gameplay the movement/weapons/sandbox/hit detection etc is all right where I want it with Halo, no need to reinvent the wheel. The networking is on point but the population and regions skew the in game quality past the point of gamer satisfaction and outcomes.

Overall they've retooled everything fucking well with H5, they've dealt with a lower powered console and are ready to move forward. It's now about what they do with the engine, maps and matchmaking combined with delivering a larger sustained player base outside the USA that interests me.

e.g. high quality maps with that sweet spot of 4v4 not split to just focused on ultra-competitive (arena) or ultra-random (WZ). I want the old default Halo gameplay back with that quality of replayability and encounters.

For me this is the hit list for Halo 6 (on X1X specifically):
-Player choice - go with matchmaking toggles or letting players/parties getting quite specific with what they want to play!
-Splitscreen
-LAN
-Native res
-Default style Halo
-Asymmetrical maps as well as symmetrical
-Medium sized maps with light vehicles, think zanzibar, high ground, burial mounds, coag, tempest etc.
-Objective playlist or toggles so I only have to play objective. I don't care if I have to wait.
-BTB with solid party systems that don't boot players or drop chat
-I've always been happy with the campaigns in various forms but I'd be lying if I didn't say give H2 solo play is my sweet spot
-Blur studios cutscenes
-Soundtrack as good as H5/H2.
-Hot Cortana :)
-Stability and high levels of QA
-Launch with the content H5 has now e.g. firefight, maps for specific modes
-Sustain past that launch content for 1 year at least e.g. keep free maps and modes

Longshot - Win10 forge/mods publishing back to PC/Xbox games and devs cherry pick for maps/gametypes to get dev-polish before release.

Welfare

I actually thought of this a week ago, but this is what I thought of

2012: Off Year / Maybe another Reach DLC
2013: Halo 4 Xbox One Launch
2014: Halo 2 Anniversary
2015: Halo CEA and Halo 3 digital ports. New MCC package holiday 2015.
2016: Halo 5
2017: Halo Wars 2
2018: Off Year
2019: Halo 6

I think Wars 2 could still be a Feb 2017 with an Oct 2016 Halo 5 launch in a bid to keep the Halo brand strong leading into the One X launch / following the One S launch.

Halo 4 was still a commercial success despite the fan's reception and launching next to a terribly regarded CoD (Ghosts) and a technical mess that was BF4, being a technically sound, decent to play game, most likely looking better and potentially being 60FPS, Halo 4 wouldn't be a failure and overall reception would likely lean towards good - great rather than mixed - good.

Launching H2A as a $40 release with what launched in MCC would be a success, and the potential for other H2 maps that didn't get the A treatment could be made into Halo 4 DLC.

Halo CEA and 3 getting ported to the XB1 similarly to MCC but as separate downloads for $20 each in 2015, Halo 3 in Spring/Summer and CEA in Summer/Fall 2015, and getting packaged together with H2A in a $60 release for November 2015 shouldn't be a technical mess, and would be a great filler package between Halo 4 and 5.

Halo 5 would probably be different in how post launch support is handled and given that HW2 launches 5 months after 5, 343 could have done cross game support with REQ's, and could spread out what came out in 8 months more smartly over 12-16 months. Campaign would also need to be completely revamped as more open world design would be more favored and going a more Destiny/Division route with how campaign interacts with multiplayer could offer more in the way of campaign expansions and replay ability. Maybe something like Spartan Ops 2.

In this alternate reality, the Halo brand wouldn't be so toxic leading into Halo 5, and Halo 5 could have been closer to what Halo 6 will turn out to be. A massive evolution of the brand and most likely for the better. Also would have a complete Win10 port and would have headlined E3 2016 with the Xbox Play Anywhere initiative.

This would also change Gears of War 4 to a 2017 release next to One X, either increasing the first party situation for the holiday with Crackdown and Gears, or Crackdown gets delayed to 2018.

TL;DR: Halo 4 should have been an Xbox One launch title.

Trup1aya

ForzaTech isn't a new engine, it's the same engine with a new name with a ton of upgrades to push current generation graphics. Turn10 is just an incredibly technically advanced studio.
forzatech is a modern engine capable of extracting effient performance out of modern hardware. The age of the engine isnt the issue at hand, it's the engines capabilities. The halo engine cant keep up with todays standards. It was long-in-tooth when h4 launched.

To be fair Halo 4 is easily top 5 best looking games of last generation, if you look at it in MCC at 1080p with no other upgrades it's hard to believe that game came out on the 360. That was due to at the time the head of the Halo engine being Corinne Yu, who is very ahead in her field and pushed what the 360 could do but to the negative of the Halo sandbox. Where as the current engine team at 343 have a different direction, taking I think smartly a leaf out of Turn10's book by putting framerate ahead of everything else. Doing a locked 60fps on a warzone map like escape from ARC with all thats happening on screen and in terms of the sandbox simulation is incredibly impressive. It might not show in visuals but it shows in gameplay.

To be fair H4s looks came with a ton of concessions. As has the commitment to 60fps with the expectations that come with halo's sandbox. Concessions that needed to be made as a direct result of the engines inefficiencies. Games like BF and battlefront have similar amounts of chaos onscreen, vehicular combat, and still have better IQ than H5.

I'm sure on their second go round with the engine were they are not having to:
  • While building the game
  • While having development issues
  • While dealing with the early Xb1 XDK
  • While taking a engine that was specifically optimised for 30fps
  • That had with Halo 4 been scaled back to a linear shooter
  • Making it run at a locked 60fps
  • While making it be able to render large areas at said locked 60fps
I'm sure not having to deal with all that plus other issues we probably don't know about that they can do a lot better, with Halo 4 they showed they are a very technically advanced studio anyway. Look at how 60fps shooters look now later into the generation with Wolfenstein, Doom, COD WW2 etc which all don't have to deal with the massive environments of a halo game and Doom isn't a locked 60 and we don't know about COD yet but based on other COD's unlikely. Let's see what they can do with X now, I assume MS internal teams have been given a priority to push X. A good example is the learning Naught Dog made from LOU remastered to Uncharted 4 to now LOU2. I can understand that some want them to make the campaign 30 and keep multiplayer 60, but personally I disagree.

I imagine these tasks would have played out differently had they made a forward facing engine and debuted on xb1 instead of making h4 a 360 title

BizzyBum

Dude, I'm kinda pissed 343 made those stick shock skins available to everyone. So much for loot crate shit being exclusive. lol

JoeLT

So Halo 5 is the only competitive game I can think of that doesn't have a casual playlist. (They've removed Team Skirmish) So now if you want to play some core Halo but don't want to go all out you can't. Is there any other game that does this? It's so bizarre and is probably going to stop me and my friends from playing.

They are making the game even more competitive oriented than it already is, which IMO has been the most damaging thing to this game. The majority of players I know just want to casually play in their spare time, not grind out through the ranks in competitive.

Akai__

So Halo 5 is the only competitive game I can think of that doesn't have a casual playlist. (They've removed Team Skirmish) So now if you want to play some core Halo but don't want to go all out you can't. Is there any other game that does this? It's so bizarre and is probably going to stop me and my friends from playing.

They are making the game even more competitive oriented than it already is, which IMO has been the most damaging thing to this game. The majority of players I know just want to casually play in their spare time, not grind out through the ranks in competitive.

Team Social has hidden ranks anyways. You get the same sweaty matches after playing like 2 matches, espeically in Team Skirmish, which is offputting to a lot of people and defeats the whole purpose of a Social Playlist. No wonder that the population in Team Skirmish has been dwindling. One of the main reasons why I uninstalled Halo 5, btw. Can't even play with your friends after taking a break, because your MMR and actual rank don't deplete over time and you are stuck playing Onyx/Champion peeps even in Social.

Trup1aya

I generally loved Team skirimish- but I hated Orion and Pegasus...

I wish we could get some decent playlist management...

It's been 84 years...

JoeLT

Team Social has hidden ranks anyways. You get the same sweaty matches after playing like 2 matches, espeically in Team Skirmish, which is offputting to a lot of people and defeats the whole purpose of a Social Playlist. No wonder that the population in Team Skirmish has been dwindling. One of the main reasons why I uninstalled Halo 5, btw. Can't even play with your friends after taking a break, because your MMR and actual rank don't deplete over time and you are stuck playing Onyx/Champion peeps even in Social.
This is true, but the thing was I didn't try as hard in Team Skirmish, so my hidden MMR was a lot lower than the Rankings I get in Ranked. Because I didn't try as hard as I didn't have this badge representing my "skill" level, when I really just wanted to casually play.

Even if it's only a Social Slayer playlist it will be better than nothing. We NEED a casual playlist 343, every other game has them.

2012: Spinoff game based on Reach engine, similar to Halo 3: ODST

I still maintain there should have been a Halo 3: ODST 2 / Halo Reach ODST??? that was set when Gravemind's carrier reached Earth and had Buck's squad fighting Flood up until Mombasa and whatnot had to be glassed.

jelly

forzatech is a modern engine capable of extracting effient performance out of modern hardware. The age of the engine isnt the issue at hand, it's the engines capabilities. The halo engine cant keep up with todays standards. It was long-in-tooth when h4 launched.

To be fair H4s looks came with a ton of concessions. As has the commitment to 60fps with the expectations that come with halo's sandbox. Concessions that needed to be made as a direct result of the engines inefficiencies. Games like BF and battlefront have similar amounts of chaos onscreen, vehicular combat, and still have better IQ than H5.

I imagine these tasks would have played out differently had they made a forward facing engine and debuted on xb1 instead of making h4 a 360 title

Battlefield doesn't exactly run at 60fps though.

I agree Halo 4 did concede the usual Halo game play for nicer graphics. Still think Reach is a looker minus the horrible AA. 343 could have landed somewhere near that instead for Halo 4.

I'm not too fond of Blur cut scenes, I mean they look nice and all but I hate the difference between game play and cutscenes. Much prefer in engine, similar models. Halo 2 was just butt ugly and well, Halo Wars doesn't lend itself to anything similar. An intro is pretty cool though but between levels, keep it in engine.

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam here but I don't frequent Halo GAF as much as I'd like anymore. What do you guys think 343i is going to do with Warzone? I expect it or something like it to play a much bigger role than in 5. Loot and microtransactions is where it's at in 2017 and I'm very interested to see what form it will take in Halo 6.

Also, you guys think we'll get any Halo 6 news this year?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Battlefield doesn't exactly run at 60fps though.

I agree Halo 4 did concede the usual Halo game play for nicer graphics. Still think Reach is a looker minus the horrible AA. 343 could have landed somewhere near that instead for Halo 4.

I'm not too fond of Blur cut scenes, I mean they look nice and all but I hate the difference between game play and cutscenes. Much prefer in engine, similar models. Halo 2 was just butt ugly and well, Halo Wars doesn't lend itself to anything similar. An intro is pretty cool though but between levels, keep it in engine.

I would much prefer a Reach remaster than Halo 3A.

Also I hope we get a MP beta early next year.

I'd disagree. In addition to it coming out late, maps were very slow to be implemented. My opinion also is that if 343 isn't refreshing the competitive playlist with all the decent maps being made then it's not being used properly. How shameful is it that Pegasus is literally the only forge map used in ranked games still? I posted a while ago that if forge isn't going to be used more efficiently and more quickly I'd rather 343 just not waste the time putting it in Halo 6. An unpopular opinion but I don't play the quirky social stuff like infection, breakout, and some of the playlists that have actually inserted forge maps. So to me forge is almost entirely a waste. Love playing the same 5-6 maps 2 years after launch in slayer. Pure awesome! Can't blame players for losing interest really.

And you think that 343 will suddenly be able to do this in H6 when they haven't managed to do it once for any of their games so far? 343 seems to still be in their learning phase and that, after all this time, is completely unacceptable.

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam here but I don't frequent Halo GAF as much as I'd like anymore. What do you guys think 343i is going to do with Warzone? I expect it or something like it to play a much bigger role than in 5. Loot and microtransactions is where it's at in 2017 and I'm very interested to see what form it will take in Halo 6.

Also, you guys think we'll get any Halo 6 news this year?

I expect Warzone to be even bigger in 6. i agree with you that some type of loot/grind/micro-transition will be in place.

I expect more maps, big and small. Maybe an additional warzone mode that 'mimicks' BTB without the use of REQs but there are pick ups on the map? Maybe with a timer that unlocks certain parts of the warzone map, idk, im just throwing out ideas now. Of course, pistol starts.

I also see them heavily rehaul the Arena aspect to utilize "esports" more. So they can use a marketing term of 'pushing the envelope' or something like "never done before" and etc. The company is at a hard spot. I wont knock them for any of this language but it looks predictable.

If they don't go 15 out of 10 on each aspect of halo 6, it probably will be dad for realies by the next xbox.

What is cool is that they will have LAN and Splitscreen! So get ready for SPLITSCREEN WARZONE!

I expect Warzone to be even bigger in 6. i agree with you that some type of loot/grind/micro-transition will be in place.

I expect more maps, big and small. Maybe an additional warzone mode that 'mimicks' BTB without the use of REQs but there are pick ups on the map? Maybe with a timer that unlocks certain parts of the warzone map, idk, im just throwing out ideas now. Of course, pistol starts.

I also see them heavily rehaul the Arena aspect to utilize "esports" more. So they can use a marketing term of 'pushing the envelope' or something like "never done before" and etc. The company is at a hard spot. I wont knock them for any of this language but it looks predictable.

If they don't go 15 out of 10 on each aspect of halo 6, it probably will be dad for realies by the next xbox.

What is cool is that they will have LAN and Splitscreen! So get ready for SPLITSCREEN WARZONE!

Next halo is a make it or break it for me. If they havent learned after all these years then im done for good with this franchise.

I expect them to have a BTB that isnt a joke like it is now
I expect them to have all the game modes im used to having in Halo, not add some (but not all) 2 years later
I expect the MP maps to be much much better

If they cant do THIS, im fucking done with them

Karl2177

I still maintain there should have been a Halo 3: ODST 2 / Halo Reach ODST??? that was set when Gravemind's carrier reached Earth and had Buck's squad fighting Flood up until Mombasa and whatnot had to be glassed.
Halo: Recon, starring an ODST squad that was sent to decommission Installation 03. They come across a Covenant remnant that was sent to find Halo installations before the events of Halo 1. Throughout the course of the game, the ODST squad drops onto the Covenant cruiser, lands on the ring, encounters the Flood, encounters the Prometheans, and begins the process of extracting the Composer. If it were to be based off the Halo 5 engine, changes would be the removal of the ground pound, thruster, and shoulder charge. Sprint, slide, smart link, and clamber would remain. New contextual squad commands would be mapped to the d-pad. Similar to ODST, player move speed would be slower, but also backpack ammo would be decreased to get players to play more tactically.

Enemy Covenant combatants are Grunts, Elites, Jackals, Hunters, Brutes, Engineers, and the new support styled enemy Prophet (which provides a damage boost aura). Promethean enemies are Knights, Crawlers, weaponless Watchers, and a new long range enemy called the Rook (low armor, moderate health enemy, equipped with Binary Rifles and a mortar-esque weapon). Flood enemies are Spore forms; Carrier forms; and Floodified Marines, ODSTs, Brutes, Elites, and Prophets. Allies include Marines, other ODSTs, and specifically your squad of ODSTs.

Weapons across the board are less lethal than they are in Halo 5, in order to accommodate for the Prophets' ability and also to mitigate some of the automatic damage problems with hitscan. Health functions like Reach, but a larger health pool and smaller shield (well, stamina). The mission structure is semi-linear where the player does the initial mission, which unlocks a pod of missions. Upon finishing that pod, it unlocks another pod. To pick a mission in a pod you are placed in a no combat area and there are x amounts of exits based on how many missions are in the pod.

I'll send in my resume, Frank.

I think we all want an ODST 2, I probably want that more than Halo 6 to be honest, rather than a hub go full open world, retain the old art style and noire tone.

Fuchsdh

I wouldn't be against Spartan Ops returning utilizing the REQ system.

I'd love it as well. Really the REQ system has so many more possibilities than just what we got with Warzone and Warzone FF. I'd love to see it in more co-op settings. While I understand why they went with the arcade time trial aspect of WZ for matchmaking, having survival Firefight a la ODST with REQs would be amazing.

I think we all want an ODST 2, I probably want that more than Halo 6 to be honest, rather than a hub go full open world, retain the old art style and noire tone.

Yeah I'll second this. At this point I'd rather see a cool spin off.

I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment regarding Halo 6. Look where 5 left off. Do we really think Halo 6 can make everything stupid about Halo 5 cool?

JlNX

Sorry I took so long to respond been very busy, hopefully I'll get this typed out fast.

forzatech is a modern engine capable of extracting effient performance out of moder hardware. The age of the engine isnt the issue at hand, it's then engines capabilities. The halo engine cant keep up with todays standards. If was long-in-tooth when h4 launched.

I don't know what makes Halo engine not modern? it's not like it hasn't been touched since Halo 3. By that thinking you could say ForzaTech is not modern considering it's origins are on the original Xbox as well. I don't know in what world you don't call locked 60fps in something like warzone efficient performance for a Xb1, but that is me coming from understanding the basic technical challenges which I know someone who just wants to play a game shouldn't have to think about. What is the issues you have seen with the engines capabilities? I wouldn't mind hearing a few examples of what ways you think the engine can't keep up with todays standards that I might have missed. I don't understand what about Halo 4's version of the engine was "long-in-tooth", It was one of the most advanced engines on the market easily on level with the likes of Foundation engine, 4A engine and Naughty Dog engine of the time. Halo 4 is easily the most technically advanced game on 360, from Corinne Yu's Halo lighting who's light mapper uses bounce lighting, baked AO, GI and is easy and fast to work with. Not to mention the version of it they used for forge, to how they handle shadows and their particle system that had been heavily upgraded from previous Halos. Corinne Yu's work on facial animations and in engine cutscene were a massive leap. I will point out a new engine is still just an old engine, old engines can have entire chunks rewritten which 343 have done through 4 and 5. A new engine would only make sense for a new IP that was doing something inherently different like a RTS or a gigantic seamless open world, Halo engine is built around the design and gameplay that is key to Halo. 343 with Halo 4 had a very long development time to focus and take apart the engine before they started making Halo 4 which was a great benefit for them, something they didn't have with 5 with a arguably more dramatic change to the engine. I'm sure even more massive chunks of the engine have been rewritten for Halo 6 based on what they have learned and due to X, one of the those is more than likely development tools and iteration time for their live team. I think one of the issues you have to set aside is the art direction which was hard for me to set aside at the time, especially looking at some of Sparths concept art compared to the game now still annoys me.

I know I made mention of that in the post, I disagree on the strive for 60fps resulting in concessions to the Halo Sandbox. One of the most impressive things about Halo 5 technically is that it achieves that locked 60fps while reverting back to the halo sandbox of Halo 3 which had been effected by Halo 4's technical goals. I really don't understand were you are coming from when you say inefficiency, Halo 5 achieves the key unique characteristic found of the Halo engine (Complex Physics, sandbox, large environments, AI and Halo environment streaming system) while maintaining a locked 60fps sacrificing graphical quality or finding work arounds. It's the complete opposite of Halo 4's technical goals and it's all the better for it.

BF1 is their 4th game this generation so they have a lot more experience under their belt, and a hell of a lot more teams working on the engine. BF1 IQ is no better than Halo 5 actually, in fact BF1 spends a lot of time in the 40's and mid 30's in terms of framerate so no were near comparable. When you see that Halo 5 in a Warzone game with even the most hectic thing possible going on doesn't drop a frame, while BF1 at it's most hectic drops in to the mid 30's its shows which is more efficient on XB1 hardware. It's not simply double the framerate at worse case scenarios but that the difference in overhead between the two games at any time is large, BF1 during best case scenarios still doesn't hold a locked 60fps implying that there is little to no overhead. Were as Halo 5 at best and worst case scenarios holds a locked 60fps implying a large overhead. So not only is Halo 5 holding better performance in a similar environment but also while using less resources, that is efficiency. Not to even mention the benefits of photogrammetry available to Dice which they have now had three games to work with, I would be highly surprised if 343 wasn't using it in Halo 6 especially with other Ms studio teams now using it heavily.

"Forward facing engine"? It would still be based on the Halo engine, it would more than likely be the same as Halo 5's engine due to this. At the time they started development to the release of Halo 4 was already a very long development cycle, to have that extended further would be very costly and it would more than likely look like a cross gen game. If we go through these issues they would still have to:

• While building Halo 5
  • While still having the same development issues (not related to engine by the way.)
  • While still having to deal with the early Xb1 XDK
  • While still having to take a engine specifically optimised for 30fps (Halo 4)
  • That would have still been scaled back to a linear shooter with Halo 4
  • They still would have to make it run at a locked 60fps
  • While still having to make it be able to render large areas at a locked 60fps
All these issues would still be present with new ones including cost and time developing the engine, with building a game along side the new engine causing greater problems in their timeline. It's also safe to say it would be a waste of time and investment in the end. Let's say they instead went for one of these engines that in your opinion keep up with "todays standards" which would all most definitely have been UE4. Well that would have caused new problems, mostly due to the fact that UE4 wouldn't facilitate Halo engines demands. What you have to realise is that Halo engine is specifically designed solely around Halo's technical and gameplay needs, look at Gears 4 a series obviously suited for UE4. In multiplayer which are small scale maps they do not even hold a locked 60fps with no additional AI or complexity and worst case scenarios of a game of warzone. This is all a issue due to the fact that UE4's source code only became available to developers this year, which I'm sure with Coalitions next project is going to blow us away as that was how Epic made graphical generation definers in the gears games. So only now with Halo 6 would they be able to rework UE4 to fit their needs, which would take up development with Halo 6 that has now already been solved with Halo engine.

These last few pages just come of as Halo fans looking for something to criticise even if they don't have a reason for it, it's negativity for negativities sake. Which I understand comes from a place of you and others (me) wanting 343 to do the best they can and so that you can enjoy a series you love at it's very best. But it's the most worthless form of feedback, it's good to criticise 343 in areas were there is clearly a issue and give worthwhile feedback. But this sort of unfounded criticism is one giant pile of worthless feedback covering up and distracting away from all the worthwhile feedback that can help the development at 343. Like next some people will be criticising the font of the halo logo because they are starting to get bored with the lack of info about 6, which I also understand comes from a place of interest and hope. That's the only reason I still come to this thread months after I stopped playing Halo 5. Hopefully I don't have to wait to much longer to see Halo 6 so that I can more than likely start complaining about Sparth's concept art yet again not being fully realised in game again, but I hope not.

Sorry for the wall I need to get better at making my thoughts more concise ;)

I always thought that would be a good direction to go for ODST 2. Would be cool if you dropped into a city after it had been taken by the Covenant, so it's all war-torn and occupied, and as you sneak through the night moving from mission points the open world can be a bit more interactive than in the first one. For example, you could find small remnants of Marines holed up in the city, maybe with wounded personnel, and you could help escort them to a LZ to get them picked up by a Pelican. Maybe even integrate some features of MGSV where you have a hub zone in the outskirts of the city that you can have a Pelican or Falcon pick you up and transport you there.

JlNX

The fake leak of the Halo flood spin off horror game made me realise I just want any sort of different Halo game to be honest, ODST 2 would be great and would let them explore stuff that they never get deep into in the main games. A ODST game on a colony would be great, have that same feeling of the covenant invading again and for once you don't feel like you can just walk through enemies and it feels like an actual threat. You could also just lock Tim Longo in a room and have him make Halo: republic commando and I wouldn't mind.

wwm0nkey

Actually since I brought up ODST 2 going full Metroid. I might dislike 343's art style for Halo, but man some of it would be good for Metroid

Trup1aya

I don't know what makes Halo engine not modern? it's not like it hasn't been touched since Halo 3. By that thinking you could say ForzaTech is not modern considering it's origins are on the original Xbox as well. I don't know in what world you don't call locked 60fps in something like warzone efficient performance for a Xb1, but that is me coming from understanding the basic technical challenges which I know someone who just wants to play a game shouldn't have to think about. What is the issues you have seen with the engines capabilities? I wouldn't mind hearing a few examples of what ways you think the engine can't keep up with todays standards that I might have missed. I don't understand what about Halo 4's version of the engine was "long-in-tooth", It was one of the most advanced engines on the market easily on level with the likes of Foundation engine, 4A engine and Naughty Dog engine of the time. Halo 4 is easily the most technically advanced game on 360, from Corinne Yu's Halo lighting who's light mapper uses bounce lighting, baked AO, GI and is easy and fast to work with. Not to mention the version of it they used for forge, to how they handle shadows and their particle system that had been heavily upgraded from previous Halos. Corinne Yu's work on facial animations and in engine cutscene were a massive leap. I will point out a new engine is still just an old engine, old engines can have entire chunks rewritten which 343 have done through 4 and 5. A new engine would only make sense for a new IP that was doing something inherently different like a RTS or a gigantic seamless open world, Halo engine is built around the design and gameplay that is key to Halo. 343 with Halo 4 had a very long development time to focus and take apart the engine before they started making Halo 4 which was a great benefit for them, something they didn't have with 5 with a arguably more dramatic change to the engine. I'm sure even more massive chunks of the engine have been rewritten for Halo 6 based on what they have learned and due to X, one of the those is more than likely development tools and iteration time for their live team. I think one of the issues you have to set aside is the art direction which was hard for me to set aside at the time, especially looking at some of Sparths concept art compared to the game now still annoys me.

I think it's self explanatory. Halo is not close to being as visually appealing as other shooters on the market. Yes Warzone is a locked 60fps, but animations 30 yards Away are sub30, textures and shaders aren't impressive at all, vehicle physics and explosions are downgrades from previous iterations, and the resolution spends a bunch of times we'll below 900p.

In contrast, ForzaTech continues to put forth some of the most visually and technically impressive racing games on the market.

Halo4 looked pretty good, and employed some nice effects, but the corners cut to achieve that look effected gameplay. Completely gone were the open sections and the sprawling vehicle sections. Ammunition disappeared before your eyes. It became a corridor shooter

I know I made mention of that in the post, I disagree on the strive for 60fps resulting in concessions to the Halo Sandbox. One of the most impressive things about Halo 5 technically is that it achieves that locked 60fps while reverting back to the halo sandbox of Halo 3 which had been effected by Halo 4's technical goals. I really don't understand were you are coming from when you say inefficiency, Halo 5 achieves the key unique characteristic found of the Halo engine (Complex Physics, sandbox, large environments, AI and Halo environment streaming system) while maintaining a locked 60fps sacrificing graphical quality or finding work arounds. It's the complete opposite of Halo 4's technical goals and it's all the better for it.

The focus on 60 was the right call. That doesn't make the end result particularly appealing. When I speak of inefficiencies I'm talking about the ugly shaders and textures, the LODs, the animations, the fluctuating resolution, etc

BF1 is their 4th game this generation so they have a lot more experience under their belt, and a hell of a lot more teams working on the engine. BF1 IQ is no better than Halo 5 actually, in fact BF1 spends a lot of time in the 40's and mid 30's in terms of framerate so no were near comparable. When you see that Halo 5 in a Warzone game with even the most hectic thing possible going on doesn't drop a frame, while BF1 at it's most hectic drops in to the mid 30's its shows which is more efficient on XB1 hardware. It's not simply double the framerate at worse case scenarios but that the difference in overhead between the two games at any time is large, BF1 during best case scenarios still doesn't hold a locked 60fps implying that there is little to no overhead. Were as Halo 5 at best and worst case scenarios holds a locked 60fps implying a large overhead. So not only is Halo 5 holding better performance in a similar environment but also while using less resources, that is efficiency. Not to even mention the benefits of photogrammetry available to Dice which they have now had three games to work with, I would be highly surprised if 343 wasn't using it in Halo 6 especially with other Ms studio teams now using it heavily.

These are excuses. The number of game RELEASED doesn't mean anything. If anything 343s dev cycles should provide an advantage because they have more time to work with the hardware, especially as a first party dev. 343's locked 60 comes at the cost of a resolution that frequently bottoms out. The Xb1 version of BF1 spends most of its time near 60fps, has more players in a session, and has better textures, LODs, shaders and effects than Halo5.

"Forward facing engine"? It would still be based on the Halo engine, it would more than likely be the same as Halo 5's engine due to this. At the time they started development to the release of Halo 4 was already a very long development cycle, to have that extended further would be very costly and it would more than likely look like a cross gen game. If we go through these issues they would still have to:

• While building Halo 5
  • While still having the same development issues (not related to engine by the way.)
  • While still having to deal with the early Xb1 XDK
  • While still having to take a engine specifically optimised for 30fps (Halo 4)
  • That would have still been scaled back to a linear shooter with Halo 4
  • They still would have to make it run at a locked 60fps
  • While still having to make it be able to render large areas at a locked 60fps
All these issues would still be present with new ones including cost and time developing the engine, with building a game along side the new engine causing greater problems in their timeline. It's also safe to say it would be a waste of time and investment in the end. Let's say they instead went for one of these engines that in your opinion keep up with "todays standards" which would all most definitely have been UE4. Well that would have caused new problems, mostly due to the fact that UE4 wouldn't facilitate Halo engines demands. What you have to realise is that Halo engine is specifically designed solely around Halo's technical and gameplay needs, look at Gears 4 a series obviously suited for UE4. In multiplayer which are small scale maps they do not even hold a locked 60fps with no additional AI or complexity and worst case scenarios of a game of warzone. This is all a issue due to the fact that UE4's source code only became available to developers this year, which I'm sure with Coalitions next project is going to blow us away as that was how Epic made graphical generation definers in the gears games. So only now with Halo 6 would they be able to rework UE4 to fit their needs, which would take up development with Halo 6 that has now already been solved with Halo engine.

I just don't understand this argument. Every single current gen developer had to transition to the next gen. My original statement was that I wish 343 had worked on a new engine INSTEAD of working on Halo4. Halo 5 would be Halo4 and would have had a normal dev cycle.

The halo engine was state of the art when it was created for Halo's specific gameplay needs. It's no longer impressive.

These last few pages just come of as Halo fans looking for something to criticise even if they don't have a reason for it, it's negativity for negativities sake. Which I understand comes from a place of you and others (me) wanting 343 to do the best they can and so that you can enjoy a series you love at it's very best. But it's the most worthless form of feedback, it's good to criticise 343 in areas were there is clearly a issue and give worthwhile feedback. But this sort of unfounded criticism is one giant pile of worthless feedback covering up and distracting away from all the worthwhile feedback that can help the development at 343. Like next some people will be criticising the font of the halo logo because they are starting to get bored with the lack of info about 6, which I also understand comes from a place of interest and hope. That's the only reason I still come to this thread months after I stopped playing Halo 5. Hopefully I don't have to wait to much longer to see Halo 6 so that I can more than likely start complaining about Sparth's concept art yet again not being fully realised in game again, but I hope not.

I don't know how to respond to this. We love halo. I personally want it to be a market leader in every aspect. Wanting it to look and play like the best games on the market isn't negative.

wwm0nkey

Lol well you're not wrong.

Sure a lot of people before Halo 4 came out thought it would be Metroid Prime 4.

metroid-prime-2-gameplay-shot-2.jpg.jpg

Yuppppp lol

What the engine was in 2001 has very little to do with the capabilities of the current renderer.
It's like people forget these things get iterative updates. A new engine won't solve all of Halo's problems, or necessarily any of them. The Xbox One was also a weak piece of shit the day it came out, let's see what Halo 6 is like when it's not constrained to a singular underpowered console.

Trup1aya

What the engine was in 2001 has very little to do with the capabilities of the current renderer.

Which is why I'm not focusing on the age of the engine but rather how it hasn't kept up with its counterparts. I mean unreal is older than The halo engine.

It's like people forget these things get iterative updates. A new engine won't solve all of Halo's problems, or necessarily any of them. The Xbox One was also a weak piece of shit the day it came out, let's see what Halo 6 is like when it's not constrained to a singular underpowered console.

So what? Other games are coming on on the same console and are more impressive visually.

Does this support or counter my argument?

Unreal made the changes neccisary to allow state of the art visuals and performance on modern hardware.

Yes but thats also very profitable to them as a lot of games use it. Only one dev uses the Halo engine. Epic makes its money off Unreal.

You're comparing a company that literally lives off its engine to another than doesn't, and you expect the same level of devotion? Come on dude. #reality.

HTupolev

Unreal made the changes neccisary to allow state of the art visuals and performance on modern hardware.
Which is also what Bungie and 343i have been doing with each new mainline Halo release.

Maybe it didn't work out as well (or as aligned to your vision) as you had hoped this time, but what you're telling them to do is basically what they're doing.

Trup1aya

Yes but thats also very profitable to them as a lot of games use it. Only one dev uses the Halo engine. Epic makes its money off Unreal.

No doubt.

From a 1st party perspective the value is that a good engine could be used for other IPs/games. this is Similar to how the work on ForzaTech is used across 2 games. Or Naughty dog's engine. Or the Decima engine.

I can imagine a state of the art Halo engine could be used with other MS IP if that was needed to justify the costs. That said, even Halo5 sold more than most games could dream to, so I'm not sure that would be needed.

Just peeped the edit. Nah, I don't expect "the same results". But other first party studio's have engines that continue to wow. Naughty Dog, Decima.

Other engines that aren't licensed wow as well, like Frostbite and Rage. I expect MS' premier studio to continue to mentioned amongst the greats.

Trup1aya

Which is also what Bungie and 343i have been doing with each new mainline Halo release.

Maybe it didn't work out as well (or as aligned to your vision) as you had hoped this time, but what you're telling them to do is basically what they're doing.

Disagree with the notion that halo's engine is producing state of the art results at this point.

No doubt.

From a 1st party perspective the value is that a good engine could be used for other IPs/games. this is Similar to how the work on ForzaTech is used across 2 games. Or Naughty dog's engine. Or the Decima engine.

I can imagine a state of the art Halo engine could be used with other MS IP if that was needed to justify the costs. That said, even Halo5 sold more than most games could dream to, so I'm not sure that would be needed.

All im saying is for one company, the engine is its bread and butter. For the other, it isnt. Sure, they could "invest" in making one thats multipurpose like Unreal or frostbite, but considering 343 cant even do the fucking game right yet, id rather they concentrate on that and leave the engines to the experts.

Top Bottom