• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

jem0208

Yes, bumper jumper was actually really well mapped imo.
137593505136.jpg

Imo, thrust is far more important on a bumper than jump.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What if halo dropped sprint but kept thrust? You could still slide during a thrust with crouch (and keep thrust slide jump!) and you could still Spartan charge by meleeing during a thrust.

jem0208

Y?

You can't thrust and shoot at the same time, so what's the value of keeping your fingers on the sticks?

You put jump on the bumper so that you can still aim when you go to jump.
You can't shoot but you can still aim.

I far more regularly thrust mid battle than jump. It's very useful being able to have the reticule ready to fire immediately after thrusting.
Bruh, paddles
Too much money!

I really want an elite (or a scuf or whatever) but I really cannot justify the costs when the benefits seem pretty marginal.

What if halo dropped sprint but kept thrust? You could still slide during a thrust with crouch (and keep thrust slide jump!) and you could still Spartan charge by meleeing during a thrust.

I have both sprint and thrust because reasons, but "bunny-thrusting" could replace sprint pretty easily. With my game's current setup jumping and/or thrusting from the ground are "free" actions, meaning you can bunnyhop or bunnythrust without waiting on cooldowns. To make it convenient, though, I've also got a "bunnyhop toggle" for both actions that'll cause you to instantly jump and/or thrust if you hit the ground with the button pressed, meaning you can hold it down to move around quickly. You can see the bunny-thrusting at the very beginning of this video (thrusts are noted by the "whoosh" sound).

Bunny-thrusting would also provide more control, although like you said, it opens up the issue of providing accessible control pipelines for supplementary Spartan actions like the charge or sliding.

I think Halo 5's movement options are great, but I really hope in Halo 6 they look into revising the actual controls for certain actions - binary things like thrusting are fine because you only have to map them to a single button, but some of the current button combos / context-sensitive inputs are pretty crazy to expect players to perform reliably. Stabilizers are probably the worst case of this, where you have to press Sprint while falling while in ADS. There's got to be a better way to do that.

As-is my stabilizers-esque function also uses the Thrust button; in Halo 5 if you hit Thrust without holding a direction, it just launches you forward relative to the way you're facing. In my current build, direction + Thrust will cause you to thrust, but just holding Thrust without a direction sends you into the hover, and then from there you can start moving around again.

Trup1aya

You can't shoot but you can still aim.

I far more regularly thrust mid battle than jump. It's very useful being able to have the reticule ready to fire immediately after thrusting.

You have the entirety of the thrust animation to reset your aim though.

So if you use bumper jumper- your finger isn't off the sticks at any time when firing is an option, whether your jumping or thrusting...

Detective

Decided to give the game another go after 4 months of resting, reinstalled and played today since am waiting for D2.

Like I've never been away.

Same lag/ high latency shitty servers.

Incredible stupid decisions. I mean who is the Einstein who decided to put bayonet on every weapon?

No cool down on the banshee?

Given that I haven't played in a while, landed second on most kills in WZ. 37 with just the magnum and BR.

I overlooked many of those problems before in weapons, Vehicles , menu and so on, Now I can't. Specially The shitty servers. That one I can't overcome.

Didn't realize how messed up this game was and still is.

Seriously regretting every moment.

Deleting.

jem0208

You have the entirety of the thrust animation to reset your aim though.

So if you use bumper jumper- your finger isn't off the sticks at any time when firing is an option, whether your jumping or thrusting...
Scrambling to aim after every thrust is not something I want to be doing, especially when I thrust almost every firefight.

Also being able to look around whilst thrust sliding is very useful.

Decided to give the game another go after 4 months of resting, reinstalled and played today since am waiting for D2.

Like I've never been away.

Same lag/ high latency shitty servers.

Incredible stupid decisions. I mean who is the Einstein who decided to put bayonet on every weapon?

No cool down on the banshee?

Given that I haven't played in a while, landed second on most kills in WZ. 37 with just the magnum and BR.

I overlooked many of those problems before in weapons, Vehicles , menu and so on, Now I can't. Specially The shitty servers. That one I can't overcome.

Didn't realize how messed up this game was and still is.

Seriously regretting every moment.

Deleting.

Warzone has been pretty bad since a year after launch. Jimmybob843 pulling out his phaeton helios.

"Huge disadvantage" is just a little bit hyperbolic.
I dunno i kind of agree with him. I can't play this game and do well without paddles. There's just too much happening and taking my fingers off the analog stick even for a fraction of a second to push a button is game over for me in most circumstances. I feel severely handicapped without the paddles.

Trup1aya

So the first phase (control) of the sandbox update is this week. I cant say I'm looking forward to a week of horribly balanced weapons being scattered all over every map.

Fuelrod, AR, grenade launcher - oh my!

Does this also mean untweaked BR starts or will they wait until phase 2?

Ugh, i wish this process wasn't so long and drawn out. Even if the community loves the tweaked sandbox - it won't become permanent until NOVEMBER. theres m thats silly imo...

"Huge disadvantage" is just a little bit hyperbolic.

Not having to "scramble" to aim after ANY action I'd say is quite an advantage.

That part of the statement made no sense to me.

Had that poster or his friend played any FPS from the last 3-4 years?

I did well, he didn't.

You may notice that COD and BF1 are pulling back to simpler times with their latest releases. COD sales backslid with all the dashing and stuff. Titanfall underperformed. Halo 5 is not a juggernaut. Destiny is huge and is way easier to play than Halo 5 or those other games.

But those future COD games still had fewer functions than Halo. Melee, jump, and grenade are more important in Halo and need prime button real estate. But they increased the importance of ADS in Halo 5, too. Plus added sprint, dash, melee dash, and melee butt stomp thing. It's a lot if you've been playing mostly Overwatch, Destiny, whatever. It almost outstrips the number of shoulder buttons and analog clicks available to the player.

If I didn't have an Elite controller I wouldn't feel very comfortable with it. I feel like the paddles are almost mandatory. But my Halo 5 preset had like nothing in common with my Gears or TF2 presets, so I kept fucking up. The game is very different from anything else.

I had an even K/D and saved the flag a few times, I felt good about it, but I fumbled through the whole session. My friend went like 2 and 20.

jem0208

So the first phase (control) of the sandbox update is this week. I cant say I'm looking forward to a week of horribly balanced weapons being scattered all over every map.

Fuelrod, AR, grenade launcher - oh my!

Does this also mean untweaked BR starts or will they wait until phase 2?

Ugh, i wish this process wasn't so long and drawn out. Even if the community loves the tweaked sandbox - it won't become permanent until NOVEMBER. theres m thats silly imo...

Not having to "scramble" to aim after ANY action I'd say is quite an advantage.
I never have to scramble to aim though.

Because I use the clearly superior control scheme.

I'm pretty sure there's a few pros who dont have paddles or claw as well. I think Ryanoob might be one, can't quite remember. Frosty doesn't have paddles either although I'm not sure if he claws or not.

I find it pretty easy to be competitive without paddles or clawing. I used to claw but stopped as my finger started to hurt a bit (I can actually get it to click quite often just by bending it) and I dont think I've gotten any worse or better.

Trup1aya

I never have to scramble to aim though.

Because I use the clearly superior control scheme.

But you said... hmm

So taking your thumb off to dash = scrambling to aim, despite several frames preventing you from shooting

But taking your thumb off to jump/clamber/swap grenades doesn't, even though there relatively fewer/no frames where you can't shoot.

I thought you were implying that thrust on bumper was more important to you since you do it more often- Not that you can somehow instantly recover from every action, except thrust.

jem0208

But you said... sigh

So taking your thumb off to dash = scrambling
But taking your thumb off to jump/clamber/swap grenades doesn't?

I thought you were implying that thrust on bumper was more important to you since you do it more often- Not that you can somehow instantly recover from every action, except thrust.
It's more important because I use it in fire fights more often.

It's rare that I ever need to aim as I'm about to jump or clamber.

You may notice that COD and BF1 are pulling back to simpler times with their latest releases. COD sales backslid with all the dashing and stuff. Titanfall underperformed. Halo 5 is not a juggernaut. Destiny is huge and is way easier to play than Halo 5 or those other games.
Destiny has every option/mechanic Halo has, plus more. It's not easier because is has less systems in play; it's easier to play for other reasons.

Trup1aya

It's more important because I use it in fire fights more often.

It's rare that I ever need to aim as I'm about to jump or clamber.

That's fine, but could that be because you jump less, knowing that doing so would put you at a disadvantage since you'd have to take your thumbs off the sticks?

And it's not only about what you do while IN fights. if you need need to engage someone immediately before or after performing one of these actions, it would be better to not have to take your fingers off of the sticks.

Someone who has paddles doesn't have to make any such considerations - because they can perform any action at any time without EVER sacrificing their aim - Which is better than having to do it "rarely" or having to limit your playstyle to what works best for a particular control scheme.

This IS a large advantage for paddle users.

jem0208

That's fine, but could that be because you jump less, knowing that doing so would put you at a disadvantage since you'd have to take your thumbs off the sticks?

And it's not only about what you do while IN fights. if you need need to engage someone immediately before or after performing one of these actions, it would be better to not have to take your fingers off of the sticks.

Someone who has paddles doesn't have to make any such considerations - because they can perform any action at any time without EVER sacrificing their aim - Which is better than having to do it "rarely" or having to limit your playstyle to what works best for a particular control scheme.

This IS a large advantage for paddle users.
I don't have to limit my play style.

Like I said, I've clawed before and then I stopped and it had very little effect.

Jumping in a firefight is a really dumb idea anyway as you're movement immediately becomes completely predictable. If anything having something to discourage that probably improves ones gameplay.

Edit: because of all this discussion I'm gunna try switching to bumper jumper for a bit and see whether I feel any different regarding jumping and aiming.

Edit 2: Bumper jumper would be infinitely improved if they switched X and B...

Edit 3: Alright, by far the best layout would be recon IF they switched reload with jump putting both jump and thrust on the bumpers. Fuck sakes why can't we just use custom layouts... Edit 3.1: Actually you'd have to switch B, X and A around to make recon perfect...

They have been really quiet about H6. It might not even be a 2018 release.

I dont see how it would be, they usually announce Halo games that come the next year at e3 a year before.

Gears4 was announced a year before and so was halo5. They didnt even announce it at this e3 so unless they pull a "its shown and releases in 2019", i doubt its gonna happen.

wwm0nkey

I dont see how it would be, they usually announce Halo games that come the next year at e3 a year before.

Gears4 was announced a year before and so was halo5. They didnt even announce it at this e3 so unless they pull a "its shown and releases in 2019", i doubt its gonna happen.
Still think it's a possibility for the VGAs

BizzyBum

343 really just has a slow and weird method to rolling out updates.

Like today is the "first phase" of the sandbox update but the only thing updating this week is Team Arena getting BR / Gunfighter starts and HCS radar settings. That's cool, but none of the weapons are changed. Why the hell are they spending an entire week doing this? Just roll out the damn weapon tuning and let us give feedback, why is there a 2 month phasing for this. They over complicate everything.

No one even knows how these weapons are. Their descriptions have been vague as fuck. I'm expecting it to be total shit.

jem0208

343 really just has a slow and weird method to rolling out updates.

Like today is the "first phase" of the sandbox update but the only thing updating this week is Team Arena getting BR / Gunfighter starts and HCS radar settings. That's cool, but none of the weapons are changed. Why the hell are they spending an entire week doing this? Just roll out the damn weapon tuning and let us give feedback, why is there a 2 month phasing for this. They over complicate everything.

No one even knows how these weapons are. Their descriptions have been vague as fuck. I'm expecting it to be total shit.

To be fair the lack of descriptions is intentional to try and reduce preconceived notions in people.

I do agree that the week on normal weapons is a bit pointless though.

Trup1aya

I get wanting to have a control, but anyone who'll be participating in the test as been dealing with the sandbox for 2 years. We don't need another week to become familiar with these weapons.

When it comes to design, i feel like 343 is data driven to the point of paralysis...

Trup1aya

I don't have to limit my play style.

Like I said, I've clawed before and then I stopped and it had very little effect.

Jumping in a firefight is a really dumb idea anyway as you're movement immediately becomes completely predictable. If anything having something to discourage that probably improves ones gameplay.

Edit: because of all this discussion I'm gunna try switching to bumper jumper for a bit and see whether I feel any different regarding jumping and aiming.

Edit 2: Bumper jumper would be infinitely improved if they switched X and B...

Edit 3: Alright, by far the best layout would be recon IF they switched reload with jump putting both jump and thrust on the bumpers. Fuck sakes why can't we just use custom layouts... Edit 3.1: Actually you'd have to switch B, X and A around to make recon perfect...

Jumping mid fight isn't a good idea generally, but there are times when you need to jump INTO a fight or jump to get an angle, at which point you would want to have instant control over your aimer. Also, jump thrusting is a great way to break ankles, especially against people playing on a low sens.

Grenade switching close to or midfight is something I wouldn't even consider doing without paddles, but with them, you can get those plasmas Ready if needed for a last minute stick, or to punish someone for chasing.

Yeah, The best option would be thrust and jump both on bumpers, but melee attacks need to be aimed too. Especially if you intend to groundpound.

There are just too many abilities and too few buttons that don't require thumbs.

Edit: what button throws grenades if LR is zoom?

BizzyBum

What's going on with rank reset? They changed HCS to Fall yet still shows summer rankings plus TA hasn't updated for me yet.

edit: switched now, apparently TA changes are later. Not even a new emblem in the season pack. lol

Cranster

Banned
What's going on with rank reset? They changed HCS to Fall yet still shows summer rankings plus TA hasn't updated for me yet.

edit: switched now, apparently TA changes are later. Not even a new emblem in the season pack. lol
They stated a few months ago that they were no longer releasing Season Completion Emblems!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ronin drops Str8 Sick and picks up Nemassist who left Naventic. No clue who Naventics 4th will be.

Odd. Str8 sick seems like a player not highly valued but that does well in game. Communication issues? Attitude? Can naventic only pick up a replacement now? Daatroyed seemed like an obvious drop for them to upgrade.

Still waiting on LG to make some moved (or Saiyan to jump ship)

belushy

Banned
Odd. Str8 sick seems like a player not highly valued but that does well in game. Communication issues? Attitude? Can naventic only pick up a replacement now? Daatroyed seemed like an obvious drop for them to upgrade.

Still waiting on LG to make some moved (or Saiyan to jump ship)

Whoever Naventic picks up has to stick with them the rest of the season I think. Might be a transfer period before Dreamhack finals.

BizzyBum

At this point it doesn't even matter what the bottom half tier teams in pro league do as they have no shot at Top 4 which is pretty much going to be locked up by Optic, Envy, Splyce, and Liquid.

Also these Exterm maps are pretty fun. The mini-Narrows map is great. Honestly these should all go in the Doubles playlist with tweaked weapon spawns.

Top Bottom