• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

Apropos of nothing, I was cleaning out some old files on my computer. Not sure I ever actually used this for anything.

Z9xbJSD.gif

BizzyBum

3sup just reverse sweeped E6 to elimate them from the tournament.

I feel bad for bubu. He deserves a better team. Fuck Cratos, though. Not sure how that guy is still even in pro league.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that was big fuck ups with the flag by 3sup...spoke too soon, haha

Edit: Lethul tweeted a picture of the controller Cratos threw, lol

Trup1aya

Tanaka had a pretty great arc. That combined with the fact that most of her profiles say she's proficient with technologies that typically require assistance from AIs to operate make me think we haven't seen the last of her - at least, until the Created blow over, anyway.

She didn't really have an arc though. She had a bio that the player had to dig up. Same as every other character in the game.

Instead of showing, 343 just tells you, and tries to pass that as character development.

When halo 6 launches, how many players will effectively view tanaka as a tech guru, or Vale as a Sanghelii expert or Locke as an assassin. They told us that characters have these traits, but didn't give the player any reason to invest in any of their abilities or personalities. In contrast to Reach and ODST, the whole ensemble angle didn't work at all.

Awesome series, kinda shows how optic has been bad for halo as we just haven't seen close finals like this.

Feel sorry for liquid, had the lead then choked.

Madness

Really shows how fun in person events and LAN's are. Gears 4 for MLG Columbus is going to be great too. Let's see how it pans out.

Karl2177

We're reaching out to let you know we ran into some issues trying to process your recent order. As a result, we've canceled your order, but you can contact us here if you'd like someone to look into this for you.

Thanks for being a member,
Microsoft

Heads up, you get an email for each pack you attempted to order. Also my points haven't been refunded... :/

wwm0nkey

We're reaching out to let you know we ran into some issues trying to process your recent order. As a result, we've canceled your order, but you can contact us here if you'd like someone to look into this for you.

Microsoft

Heads up, you get an email for each pack you attempted to order. Also my points haven't been refunded... :/

Fuck my got cancelled too :(

Trup1aya

Microsoft

Damn that's crazy. It's a fucking digital code. How hard is it to make some more?

Gold packs were a "reward" on Bing rewards, so a bunch of us supposedly bought some, but they apparently ran out of codes.

Microsoft

Hm, I haven't gotten notified of that yet...

Hugstable

Banned
Damn that's crazy. It's a fucking digital code. How hard is it to make some more?

It's because they priced it wrong and set it at 45 reward points each. Mine got cancelled as well and I only ordered like 6-7 of them. Kinda upset about it and discouraged from wanting to spend any real money on packs now. Really love Warzone Firefight, but I feel like a burden when I don't have all the good weapons and you only get so much from the free packs. Oh well will just stick with Arena stuff until I get more free packs. Hope the anniversary playlist sticks around, been having a lot of fun in there (though my favorite mode is the mix of CTF, Team Slayer and the capture the bases one)

Karl2177

Yo Frank, can you deposit 18 gold packs into my account? Tyia.

But seriously, they probably realized it was a "pricing" error so they decided that "they ran out of codes."

Fake points for fake rewards and they honor it like it's real money for real rewards. smh

She didn't really have an arc though. She had a bio that the player had to dig up. Same as every other character in the game.

Instead of showing, 343 just tells you, and tries to pass that as character development.

When halo 6 launches, how many players will effectively view tanaka as a tech guru, or Vale as a Sanghelii expert or Locke as an assassin. They told us that characters have these traits, but didn't give the player any reason to invest in any of their abilities or personalities. In contrast to Reach and ODST, the whole ensemble angle didn't work at all.

Tanaka's arc gets discussed pretty succinctly here. Her past (her homeworld Minab being glassed, having no close friends or really even family, etc.) are all covered in some capacity throughout the campaign, and even some of her "throwaway" mandatory pieces of dialogue the player will come across throughout the campaign lend to her engineering background, like commenting how Spartans using the Meridian space elevator as a jungle gym not being enough to threaten its structural integrity.

Also: I feel like Chief is honestly holding back a lot of Blue Team's character development at this point, because there's only so much you can do with them while Chief is in charge of everything. It'd be interesting to see an almost Steven Universe-type setup where Chief isn't necessarily dead, but Fred, Kelly and Linda have to learn how to handle missions without him being the backbone of the group and how that would play into interactions with Osiris.

Trup1aya

It's because they priced it wrong and set it at 45 reward points each. Mine got cancelled as well and I only ordered like 6-7 of them. Kinda upset about it and discouraged from wanting to spend any real money on packs now. Really love Warzone Firefight, but I feel like a burden when I don't have all the good weapons and you only get so much from the free packs. Oh well will just stick with Arena stuff until I get more free packs. Hope the anniversary playlist sticks around, been having a lot of fun in there (though my favorite mode is the mix of CTF, Team Slayer and the capture the bases one)

I'm sure it was a pricing error. But honor the sale. It's a digital good. It's not an item they have to stock.

I went from being impressed with the rewards program and wanting to buy team skins in Halo 5, to being disappointed and not wanting to spend any more $ on the game.

Tanaka's arc gets discussed pretty succinctly here. Her past (her homeworld Minab being glassed, having no close friends or really even family, etc.) are all covered in some capacity throughout the campaign, and even some of her "throwaway" mandatory pieces of dialogue the player will come across throughout the campaign lend to her engineering background, like commenting how Spartans using the Meridian space elevator as a jungle gym not being enough to threaten its structural integrity.

Also: I feel like Chief is honestly holding q so much you can do with them while Chief is in charge of everything. It'd be interesting to see an almost Steven Universe-type setup where Chief isn't necessarily dead, but Fred, Kelly and Linda have to learn how to handle missions without him being the backbone of the group and how that would play into interactions with Osiris.

I just feel like there should be more to character development than what happens in throwaway banter. Don't just tell me tanaka is an engineer, show me, in game how her engineering prowess benefits the team. I think that's what sets Bungie's in game character development so much higher than 343s.

Getting gamers up to speed with blue team was always going to be tough, but they didn't even try. We couldn't even get a star wars info dump.

Yeah, if i get an email about the codes being cancelled, then ill just let my points die and continue to not play H5. (until the patch comes atleast...)

Can you guys imagine going back even a year and a half ago and telling people the absolute nadir of Halo 5's lifespan would be BR starts in BTB and not being able to engage in as many microtransactions as you wanted to?

*Works on an opinion/retrospective piece on Halo 5's one year journey.
*Not even half way through it is already 3000 words.
*I'll never finish it just like my REQs....
*Then realize you have a Wednesday deadline.

Fuchsdh

Apparently the Halo app on Windows 10 has references to MCC on PC

from reddit:

I mean, I never doubted MCC was at one point planned for PC, the question is now whether they'd go through the effort to do it after the lukewarm response and botched initial release that hurt them a lot.

Trup1aya

I mean, I never doubted MCC was at one point planned for PC, the question is now whether they'd go through the effort to do it after the lukewarm response and botched initial release that hurt them a lot.

If it actually works on PC, i doubt the response would be Luke warm (compared to other uwp releases)

Trup1aya

Just got my email.

Fuck you ms...

Edit: now i guess i will be getting flooded with the same disappointing email over and over...

Madness

"lukewarm response"... do you know how many Halo fans bought Xbox One's for this title. It was one of the highest Amazon bestsellers at a time Xbox One was getting trashed. At midnight the line was around the block on release. People took time off work, fans young and old, pros all were dying to play. And the game simply did not work. Entire launch night, launch week, and even launch month you couldn't get more than a handful of games.

Had it worked, you would see a far more rejuvenated Halo franchise than you have now. If the game comes to PC and works like it should have, you will see those efforts rewarded. People would love to play CE, H2 and H3 on PC again, giving them H4 and ODST campaign is just icing on the cake.

"lukewarm response"... do you know how many Halo fans bought Xbox One's for this title. It was one of the highest Amazon bestsellers at a time Xbox One was getting trashed. At midnight the line was around the block on release. People took time off work, fans young and old, pros all were dying to play. And the game simply did not work. Entire launch night, launch week, and even launch month you couldn't get more than a handful of games.

Had it worked, you would see a far more rejuvenated Halo franchise than you have now. If the game comes to PC and works like it should have, you will see those efforts rewarded. People would love to play CE, H2 and H3 on PC again, giving them H4 and ODST campaign is just icing on the cake.

Key line there, "had it worked". Still pisses me off that no one at MS (including Spencer) thinks that this game is NOT worth the time and effort to fix and do properly.

This to me is baffling for something that they consider their premiere franchise. Its why ive lost a ton of respect for 343.

Top Bottom