• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Here's a side-by-side since no one has done it yet:

vnfwgOc.png

That ONI symbol.

I am excited.

Zeppeli

Banned
I can dig up the tweet if people want, but one of the regular insiders (Thuway iirc, maybe someone else) has said Halo 5 is more or less open world. Kind of goes with this:

And just for the lulz, one of the purported MS E3 leaks had Halo 5 as an open world game. I'm sure Frank or someone else will shoot it down but yeah.

"Open world" probably means Metroid Prime-like levels

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can dig up the tweet if people want, but one of the regular insiders (Thuway iirc, maybe someone else) has said Halo 5 is more or less open world. Kind of goes with this:

And just for the lulz, one of the purported MS E3 leaks had Halo 5 as an open world game. I'm sure Frank or someone else will shoot it down but yeah.
I'm taking this info with a truckload of salt, but that would be ridiculously cool.

Can't be the arbiter because the "new guy" has 5 fingers. My guess is it would have to be Lasky, or like they said a completely new guy.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Really excited for Halo 5! Will purchase an Xbox One and the game on release! I'm a sucker for Halo.

TheOddOne

I'm taking this info with a truckload of salt, but that would be ridiculously cool.
He is known to regurgitate info that has been spreading over the internet. For example: when somebody highlighted the pasta bin leak, he tweeted the same basic information as fact based. Very shady.

Monocle

So...Uncharted 4 will deliver it?
IIRC she builds graphics engines (among other things), so if she and Naughty Dog's other programming ninjas come up with something cool it's not just the Uncharted franchise that will benefit. Assuming ND licenses out the engine, of course.

Reave

I don't know why I keep thinking this, but wouldn't it be crazy if that unnamed Spartan is a new Cortana AI with her own suit?

My problem with Halo anymore is the characters
Other Spartans - all secondary to Chief, nobody really seems to care including devs themselves
Cortana - Gone
Sgt Johnson - Dead
Chief - Within the context of the games is a paper thin character, slightly above a COD player character
Miranda Keys - Killed off anticlimactically
ODST Squad - Not likely to reappear

Cortana was basically the only thing I still really cared about in 4 and look how that ended up

eso76

I think open world is the right way for a new Halo.
Halo 4 felt confined, limited and linear (ok, it was even when compared to previous Halo's but that's beyond the point) for today's standards.

I think a Far Cry 3 like structure would be perfect for it. Keep the sandbox nature of the encounters, value use of vehicles and exploration even further, an arpg/like progression through armor upgrades, while still maintaining the old Halo pacing and set pieces in 'dungeons' and missions.

The promise of 60fps though, basically rules this out entirely I guess ?

Toxi

Banned
Eh. My hype's not high because of Halo 4. New engine sounds cool, but my heart lies with Project Beast and that's a different system exclusive.
I don't know why I keep thinking this, but wouldn't it be crazy if that unnamed Spartan is a new Cortana AI with her own suit?
Judging from the cover, unnamed Spartan is playable, and it wouldn't make much sense for Cortana to come back close to the start of Halo 5.

Hopefully it's not Palmer, or if it is Palmer, they really improved her character.
That Samus helmet.
:(

JDHarbs

What if its a Chief clone? MGS style? :)
That or they're just trying to recreate him using another Spartan. I keep thinking it has something to do with the opening scene from 4
where an ONI official is interrogating Halsey about what made John a successful experiment.

Raide

Some Oni Bountyhunter type character. Probably a story where we jump backwards and
forwards through some key moments in the Halo series and you now see things from the Oni Operative's point of view.

jelly

My biggest problem with Halo anymore is the characters
Other Spartans - all secondary to Chief, nobody really seems to care including devs themselves
Cortana - Gone
Sgt Johnson - Dead
Chief - Within the context of the games is paper thin character
Miranda Keys - Killed off in a dull way
ODST Squad - Not likely to reappear

Cortana was basically the only thing I still really cared about in 4 and look how that ended up

Then they use generic jock Spartans and Palmer.

Something about the direction I really dislike, weak sauce Sci fi miltary with cartoon level writing. There seems to be more there but they ignore it or go off on the worst tangent with terrible writing and characters.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not seeing the Covenant armor comparisons, personally. The new guy looks just like a Spartan IV.

Tzeentch

definately think he's go at very similar visual covernant appearance, might be diliberate since perhaps he's a sort of villain while hunting for the chief ?
Obviously intended to be a very aggressive look, in the same style family as the Deadeye, and Pathfinder helmets. The torso design is unique, but is conceptually similar to the Prefect and Venator. Could be a bespoke ONI design or (probably) a GEN3 suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom