• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasch

Banned
MC is a Spartan II right, is he still better then other Spartans would they be smart and stronger then him? What would be difference between II and IV Spartans, or does it not matter cause MC is a BOSS?

MC is technically a reclaimed human now after halo 4.

Spartan 3 have better upgrades but their armor is not nearly as good as what the spartan 2's have. It's explained in one of the halo novels.

rrc1594

Master Chief wasn't the strongest, fastest or smartest. Not all Spartan IIs (or IIIs for that matter) were created equal.

MC is technically a reclaimed human now after halo 4.

Spartan 3 have better upgrades but their armor is not nearly as good as what the spartan 2's have. It's explained in one of the halo novels.

What is so special then about Master Chief then, why is he even called Master Chief if he is not the best Spartan? I'm about read all these Halo books

AlStrong

What is so special then about Master Chief then, why is he even called Master Chief if he is not the best Spartan? I'm about read all these Halo books

Leadership rating +343
Luck +343

:p

(Fred was a contender for leadership as well, but he didn't seem to be as forthcoming)

edit:

Master Chief Petty Officer is the highest enlisted NCO rank.

LordOfChaos

MC is a Spartan II right, is he still better then other Spartans would they be smart and stronger then him? What would be difference between II and IV Spartans, or does it not matter cause MC is a BOSS?

Spartan 1s were experimental, Johnson is the most known one, their augs barely worked so they're just a bit stronger than normal.
Spartan IIs were picked at 5-6 years old from a supremely small genetic pool of near perfection, augumented to the highest degree on top of that, and trained from childhood to be perfect soldiers.
Spartan IIIs received augs that were in some ways improved, but in other ways not as good, such as most of them not being able to wear MJOLNIR (it would crush their bones), but a few of them could (Noble Team). They were picked from a wider genetic pool to reduce costs, and to increase numbers as they were meant for suicide missions. The armor they had (SPI) is nothing compared to MJOLNIR, but the few that survived and got MJOLNIR are now probably close to IIs, but IIs still have decades of combat experience over them.
IVs are a different lot. They are chosen from the widest gene pool, and generally former ODSTs or elite military of some sort. As their augs came when they were adults, they don't get as big or strong as IIs. Though by now medicine had advanced so much that some of their augs are better and they can all wear advanced MJOLNIR suits. Any II could probably still kick the ass of any IV, a III in MJOLNIR may be able to.

I'm going to say II > III = IV, conditional on it being the surviving IIIs with MJOLNIR. Is aren't even in the picture.

Take the analogy of humans vs each Covanant race. Humans aren't the best at anything, but they're good enough at everything. Being the fastest or strongest or smartest doesn't make you the best all around. MC is just good at everything, the best at none. He's also the luckiest bastard in the universe (well, for someone kidnapped at 6 and forced to fight all his life, anyways).

tasch

Banned

luck(seriously, it's a really important concept, and draws directly from nivens ring world from which halo takes a lot of inspiration)... also because cortana(the AI's pick the soldiers), and because he was the best natural leader.

I always thought master chief was the jack of all trades, master of none spartan and also incredibly lucky.

I think bifurcating the feel of the Halo experience is just a bad idea. The same frame rate should be throughout the entire game (I think you're going to see more dips in campaign, where it's obviously tolerated.)

It's not a bad idea. Most people don't even play campaign, most that do don't touch it after the first week.

Gestault

Master Chief is a standard navy rank. It's not so much "what Spartan is best" any more than you'd look at a military and ask "what soldier is best." It would be incredibly unusual for a Spartan to act on their own, they were trained for team operations. It was just the events before the first game that separated him from the rest.

LordOfChaos

This is crap. I buy Halo strictly for SP.

Same. It's 90% single payer story for me. I play online only when friends are in the same physical room as me, otherwise it bores the crap out of me, consistent killing for nothing. That's why I read the books.

I think Halo far more than other shooters is SP driven, sure there are a lot of people who play online more, but there's still a lot who are interested in the story and lore. And this dinky little bundled console shooter quickly became some of the best lore in video games.

Trey

I think bifurcating the feel of the Halo experience is just a bad idea. The same frame rate should be throughout the entire game (I think you're going to see more dips in campaign, where it's obviously tolerated.)

listen to the madmonitor.

LordOfChaos

Master Chief is a standard navy rank. It's not so much "what Spartan is best" any more than you'd look at a military and ask "what soldier is best." It would be incredibly unusual for a Spartan to act on their own, they were trained for team operations. It was just the events before the first game that separated him from the rest.

I wonder if we'll see some Spartan team gameplay in 5. You worked with some IVs in 4, but I'd love to see a few of Blue Team from the II generation get back together.

Maybe some of the surviving IIIs too.

HTupolev

That is fan made by the amazing Leviathian, but yes he did, he appears in Halo: Initiation and helps get the Spartan IV program going.
He does? Lol...

I liked that thread being left disconnected. Leviathan did too, and turned it into something truly awesome.

Whatever.

tasch

Banned
What in the world does that even mean?

During halo 4 the librarian restores master chief to a human stage prior to the first event. Hence why he was unaffected by the didacts lasers.

He's pretty much a fully evolved human, the kind that could not only battle the forerunners on equal grounds but did so while fighting off the flood.

My guess is that the didact produced a similar human, the guy on the cover, who's prime directive is the destruction of the human race.

rrc1594

During halo 4 the librarian restores master chief to a human stage prior to the first event. Hence why he was unaffected by the didacts lasers.

He's pretty much a fully evolved human, the kind that could not only battle the forerunners on equal grounds but did so while fighting off the flood.

My guess is that the didact produced a similar human, the guy on the cover, who's prime directive is the destruction of the human race.

So he is a Supreme Master Chief now

So I made fun of Chief's giraffe neck in Halo 4, and back when I watched FUD I thought this was some terrible CG
Kelly_without_Helmet_Forward_Unto_Dawn.png
Then today I see this
wtf

Maaan. I really can't wait for another Halo.
Please Bring Marty on board.
Miss he's music :(
Chief, I miss you :D

I can't understand why folk are so quick to ask for Marty time and time again. He's gone guys, he chose to move on from Halo.

Now that Kazuma Jinnouchi is the one in charge of Halo music, I think we're in for some good stuff.

Sacrifice

Plus he did the Halo for Xbox One trailer music and that was fantastic and VERY Halo IMHO

Edit: OH! Get Tom Salta from Halo: Spartan Assault on the OST too! Hot damn

Legacy, starts 0:00

Detective

I can't understand why folk are so quick to ask for Marty time and time again. He's gone guys, he chose to move on from Halo.

Now that Kazuma Jinnouchi is the one in charge of Halo music, I think we're in for some good stuff.

Sacrifice

Plus he did the Halo for Xbox One trailer music and that was fantastic and VERY Halo IMHO

Am sure the guy is excellent, But:

Marty is Halo. He understands Halo.
Each scenario, level or situation had its own Halo feel. Its like someone is talking and telling you a halo story when you listen to Marty's music and play Halo
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EvgHjWQcPQU
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_lGYVlcx_I&list=PLE247806E68BCF2AC
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzrnw4niuTA&list=PLE247806E68BCF2AC

That's how I feel :)

Edit: Sorry, Am on my cell phone, can't embedded the video correctly.

If it means anything to you Phil started follow Marty last week couple days before Halo was shown
MS should throw every dime they can at him, not only is his stuff extremely iconic i'd say ODST's soundtrack was probably one of the all time best in gaming.
If he wants to change the soundtrack up a bit let him while maintaining the classics now and then.

Chettlar

Banned
I too would love Neil back, but I contacted him via Facebook and he said Kazuma Jinnouchi would be doing Halo 5. Him and Davidge did the Score for 4 together. Though one song was done by him alone I believe and that was this masterpiece.

I think it's in good hands. :) Halo 4's score was superb and I listen to it on a regular basis (like now in fact).

Edit:

Quote from his facebook page.

"So, this is the game I've been writing music for. "Halo 5: Guardians" coming Fall 2015 to Xbox One."

Nice.

Missed this post.

This is huge news.

I wonder if he was supposed to say that...

Master Chief is like the highest rank a spartan can get right?

That's why everybody disrespecting him is so absolutely weird. He saved the whole of humanity three bloody times. But even if we forget that, he is still an officer. You treat officers with respect.

Such an odd, odd situation. No idea why the writers did that.

Because then Frankie turns around and he's like essentially "I think I really want to change how people view Chief -- how important he is rank-wise."

And I'm like WTF, then why on earth did your last game completely demean Chief as much as humanely possible?

Each scenario, level or situation had its own Halo feel. Its like someone is talking and telling you a halo story when you listen to Marty's music and play Halo

Do you mean "am sure" as in you're not even going to give the tracks a listen? C'mon son.

Chettlar

Banned

Somebody please tell me why the ghost in the first link is flying.

That's why everybody disrespecting him is so absolutely weird. He saved the whole of humanity three bloody times. But even if we forget that, he is still an officer. You treat officers with respect.

Because then Frankie turns around and he's like essentially "I think I really want to change how people view Chief -- how important he is rank-wise."

And I'm like WTF, then why on earth did your last game completely demean Chief as much as humanely possible?

To be fair, that was pretty much just one asshole... who IN-GAME gets removed from command specifically for screwing with the Chief. Everyone else that that dude orders to mess with Chief are hesitant at most, and let him do what he wants anyway in most cases.

Caayn

Sorry if this was posted already. Just booted up Halo 4 and was greeted with this message:

Halo 5 Guardians

For the team here at 343 Industries, the launch of the Xbox One was an opportunity to think about what stories we wanted to tell, how to tell them and how best to push the Halo franchise to showcase the platofmr. And most importantly, combining our passion for Halo with the vocal and informative input from our fans.

We're excited to announce that Halo 5: Guardians will be the next installment in the legendary saga of the Masther Chief.

343i still needs to put actions before words, but it's nice to see them putting up that in the message

Woorloog

Banned
Sorry if this was posted already. Just booted up Halo 4 and was greeted with this message:

343i still needs to put actions before words, but it's nice to see them putting up that in the message

Did it occur to you that this might be like "Some people want ADS so we added it. Also some people wanted dating minigame, so we added that too"?

I think they have enough sense not to do stupid things but... eh, i expect the worst. Can't be disappointed that way.

Lone Wolf

Missed this post.

This is huge news.

I wonder if he was supposed to say that...

Most of Noble team were Officers. Master Chief is the highest enlisted rank of the Navy/Coast Guard. Just google military rankings and you will see how it works.

Caayn

Did it occur to you that this might be like "Some people want ADS so we added it. Also some people wanted dating minigame, so we added that too"?

I think they have enough sense not to do stupid things but... eh, i expect the worst. Can't be disappointed that way.
Of course. Be careful what you wish for still applies.

TheOddOne

This is what some guy said a while ago:
60 fps
Dedis
Focus on classic Halo fundamentals
Bigger setpieces (h3 Scarabs not Reach Scarabs!)
Cull all weapons except CE pistol
Grenades drop CE pistols instead of exploding
Take advantage of growing dubstep scene for weapon sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom