• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza 6 and Gears of War: UE sold over 1 million

evilr

Banned
Please provide us the evidence that he blatantly lies about TR being well over 1M sold through.

In such a front loaded industry, Tomb Raider sold 43k in its main, major market on launch.

That's all the proof you need right there to know it won't sell a million TO consumers on Xbox.

It didn't. No way near. Why are you falling for Greenberg PR bullshit? Man, PR truly pisses me off, it completely spins the circumstances. Microsoft can even buy a million copies for their own stores and not sell them to get that figure.

Let me tell you what really happened with Tomb Raider in actual terms: IT BOMBED. HARD.

Yeah that's what happened. Greenberg, Major Nelson and Phil Spencer bought 300k copies of RotTR each and are going to be giving away the codes for the games on their Twitter accounts to help boost their followers.

Its all about those Twitter followers . . . . .

I think I can see myself popping back into this thread throughout the day whenever I need cheering up as this is my first day back in the office. Don't let me down evilr :)

Markoman

Hey, I found the spin!

He did not say "each" or "individually".
It's combined!

Ha, old joke (see one of the first pages), but yeah the power of words ;P
Let me rephrase: Bayonetta 2, W101, and Devils' third have sold over 1 Mio.
Platinum should learn from MS.

evilr

Banned
Yeah that's what happened. Greenberg, Major Nelson and Phil Spencer bought 300k copies of RotTR each and are going to be giving away the codes for the games on their Twitter accounts to help boost their followers.

Its all about those Twitter followers . . . . .

I think I can see myself popping back into this thread throughout the day whenever I need cheering up as this is my first day back in the office. Don't let me down evilr :)

I'm merely pointing out how obsolete Greenberg's claim is. Nothing other than sold to consumer figures matter at all. I'm sure you've seen Tomb Raider copies in Microsoft stores... Well according to Greenberg that's an officially sold item. Would you agree with that? I sure as shite dont.

Flintty

Let me tell you what really happened with Tomb Raider in actual terms: I HOPE IT BOMBED. HARD.

FTFY. I remember similar discussions with you over recent weeks where you were not only trying to convince yourself that anything related to Xbox is a failure, but also others on the forum. You're entitled to your opinion but it's concerning how often you pop up in Xbox threads appearing to stir it up and laying down flame inducing statements. Is it attention you crave?

On topic, it looks like it was a good Christmas for Xbox and gaming in general. This is a good thing, no matter how you spin it.

Chris1

You've raised the question that everyone should be asking. Why isn't Microsoft releasing exact sales figures? There is a simple reason.

Thank you.
Simple reason is that to be quite honest it's irrelevant to us, yes we care about our games selling well (or selling badly, for some people), but in the larger picture us knowing how much a game is sold is irrelevant.

But nobody says exact figures so I'm not sure why you're calling MS out for it, What's the exact sales figures of Uncharted Collection? What about Splatoon? What about CS GO? I demand to know if Uncharted has reached 3,898,271 sales yet!

They've said it's sold over 1 million and have said that it's sold through to customers, what more do you want them to say? that it's sold 1,022,282
I just made this number up, I don't know the exact figures
copies as of 5th January 11:06AM GMT ? is that going to make you sleep better at night and somehow believe them more than them saying "over 1 million"?

Steroyd

In such a front loaded industry, Tomb Raider sold 43k in its main, major market on launch.

That's all the proof you need right there to know it won't sell a million TO consumers, NOT Microsoft stores on Xbox.

...wait until after December NPD, before jumping in head first with these statements, it is the month of Christmas afterall.

foxbeldin

I'm merely pointing out how obsolete Greenberg's claim is. Nothing other than sold to consumer figures matter at all. I'm sure you've seen Tomb Raider copies in Microsoft stores... Well according to Greenberg that's an officially sold item. Would you agree with that? I sure as shite dont.

He's answering to someone asking if it's shipped or sold through. So according to you, he's not only spinning : he's lying through his teeth.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
there is a perfectly logical reason for Japaneese devs to skip a userbase that doesn't buy their games as shown by the slew of games coming exclusive to console debut on PS4 this year.

Nonsense, StreetFighter is popular worldwide and would sell on Xbox.

To clarify, I don't care that Sony paid for exclusivity, I just can't stand the double standards and that people doggedly stick to a lie about the game not going into production without Sony's money.

Greenberg says the game has sold more than 1 million copies since release, that's SOLD since release and to be fair Ive seen lots of games in lots of stores, everyone is going bankrupt as no one is selling any games :)

If it affects you this much that you start to rant and howl at the moon with your conspiracy theories, then maybe take a breather from these kind of threads for a while. Its a New Year, have fun - last thing you want to do is give yourself an ulcer over how many copies a game did or didn't sell*.

*By the way, it sold a million+ copies ;)

evilr

Banned
FTFY. I remember similar discussions with you over recent weeks where you were not only trying to convince yourself that anything related to Xbox is a failure, but also others on the forum. You're entitled to your opinion but it's concerning how often you pop up in Xbox threads appearing to stir it up and laying down flame inducing statements. Is it attention you crave?

On topic, it looks like it was a good Christmas for Xbox and gaming in general. This is a good thing, no matter how you spin it.

No you've got it wrong.

I post when I see a statement that is designed to deceive people into coming up with the wrong conclusion. It is merely by chance that Greenberg, Nelson and Microsoft in general have been the front runners in deception this generation.

Greenberg: Tomb Raider is selling well.

Reality: Tomb Raider is struggling and the franchise may die.

See the difference?

evilr

Banned
Greenberg says the game has sold more than 1 million copies since release, that's SOLD since release and to be fair Ive seen lots of games in lots of stores, everyone is going bankrupt as no one is selling any games :)

If it affects you this much that you start to rant and howl at the moon with your conspiracy theories, then maybe take a breather from these kind of threads for a while. Its a New Year, have fun - last thing you want to do is give yourself an ulcer over how many copies a game did or didn't sell*.

*By the way, it sold a million+ copies ;)

Sold means shipped to Greenberg, I am the one who asked him on Twitter before (Shane Stocks). If Greenberg is claiming that Tomb Raider is in a million people's home's, I am calling him a complete liar, and I will happily be held accountable of this post come NPD etc.

Absolutely no chance at all Tomb Raider has SOLD TO CONSUMERS 1m.

Chris1

No you've got it wrong.

I post when I see a statement that is designed to deceive people into coming up with the wrong conclusion. It is merely by chance that Greenberg, Nelson and Microsoft in general have been the front runners in deception this generation.

See the difference?
There's a bit of a difference between deception and flat out lying

Deception:
Greenberg: Tomb Raider is selling well
Reality: Tomb raider has sold 10k

Greenberg wouldn't be lying here, because if their expectations were to sell 10 copies then 10k would be selling well. But obviously he wants to make people think it did better than it actually did.

Lying:
Greenberg: Tomb Raider has sold through well over 1 million
Reality: Tomb Raider has sold 10k

They might deceive you and mislead you into thinking what they want you to think, but they're not going to flat out lie. With Greenbergs tweet there's no room for deception (at least not the 1m figure, the well over could be anything), if what he said isn't true then it'd be flat out lying.

Flintty

No you've got it wrong.

See the difference?

Tomb Raider is selling well [in line with our expectations] perhaps? (not that I want to put words into his mouth). I can say that my wife's book was selling well. It was, in line with her expectations. It's not on the NYT Best Sellers list though - far from it. (Edit - probably a really bad way to get my point across!)

Tomb Raider is a huge IP and will not die because of a year of console platform exclusivity. People will lap up the Complete Edition on PS4. People will also be all over the PC version.

And again, how do you know this? You're calling the man a liar again...

e-gamer

It doesn't seem to be only in December. He just said "big December", as in "it had a big December".

Even if it is cumulative Sales I think it's big anyway and someway. And way different from what some people want to believe.

But all the theories are funny.

Sold means shipped to Greenberg, I am the one who asked him on Twitter before (Shane Stocks). If Greenberg is claiming that Tomb Raider is in a million people's home's, I am calling him a complete liar, and I will happily be held accountable of this post come NPD etc.

Does NPD attribute bundle copies or digital copies into their reckoning, will we get an exact number once the NPD thread all starts kicking off?

And as for the bolded . . . You're not doing yourself any favours here dude, your coming across as quite bitter and angry.

Bitter and angry over sales or not sales of videogames.

Theorry

Jezus some people are grasping..
Its sold oke. 1 mil is very nice and far from bomba. Wich i think some people wanted to happen and still are.

It's one million sold-through for Tomb Raider, right? Why do people have a problem with that? Is it really important to some people that this game does poorly?

c0de

Jezus some people are grasping..
Its sold oke. 1 mil is very nice and far from bomba. Wich i think some people wanted to happen and still are.

Of course they are. They were the chosen ones with the console they bought. They had the right to get exclusives, not the other ones. "Who is not with me, is against me".

GnawtyDog

Banned
Does NPD attribute bundle copies or digital copies into their reckoning, will we get an exact number once the NPD thread all starts kicking off?

You know the answer.

What we'll get is a guesstimation consensus by people with access to numbers that is worth twice as much as Greenbergs words.

That I am sure we'll get.

Evilr is indeed a bit heated, with conviction but unnecessarily heated. People skeptical should just wait for December NPD and the numbers SalesGaf comes up with. Greenberg should get the benefit of the doubt...

Flintty

It's one million sold-through for Tomb Raider, right? Why do people have a problem with that? Is it really important to some people that this game does poorly?

Unexplicably, it is and has been for this guy for quite some time...

From a November discussion I had with him:
This game may be great, but sorry it's going to bomb so hard for two primary reasons.

1. It's an Xbox One exclusive. Which executive thought this was a fruitful idea? The Tomb Raider fanbase is predominantly Europe, you know the place where PS4 has a ratio of about 8/1 compared to Xbox One? The fanbase has been alienated. Never go for short-term profit over wealth maximization, business lesson 1.

2. Launches same day as Fallout 4. Okay so you decided it releases on Xbox only, yet Xbox has a marketing deal for a more popular franchise on the same God damn day? Absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest they deserve the disaster so that it wakes the executives up from making terrible decisions.

And today:

It didn't. No way near. Why are you falling for Greenberg PR bullshit? Man, PR truly pisses me off, it completely spins the circumstances. Microsoft can even buy a million copies for their own stores and not sell them to get that figure.

Let me tell you what really happened with Tomb Raider in actual terms: IT BOMBED. HARD.

So obvious. SMH.

c0de

And today:

So obvious. SMH.

Well, at least it makes total sense. To him. He is his own source and therefore he is right. Can't argue that.

And today:

So obvious. SMH.

Personally, I loved the game, and I'm planning on re-buying it on PC, so it saddens me when people are so militantly opposed to the possibility of this game doing well. It's just a video game at the end of the day, and this kind of toxic behavior is a bit baffling to me.

Anyway, the game is going to do solid numbers when it hits PC and PS4, and quite honestly, it deserves the sales.

Steroyd

Nonsense, StreetFighter is popular worldwide and would sell on Xbox.

To clarify, I don't care that Sony paid for exclusivity, I just can't stand the double standards and that people doggedly stick to a lie about the game not going into production without Sony's money.

That's not the narrative with Street Fighter at all, the narrative is that we'd be seeing a SFV in 2018+ if Capcom went solo and given their production line this generation so far it's believable.

Meanwhile Square Enix cry into their pillow that TR2013 was a disapointment selling 3.4m in a month.

leeh

Delighted Gears is doing well. Been playing since Eday 06 and now UE is a mainstay for me.

Gears 1 da gawd.
Gears UE has been life for me since it's release. It's one of the few games which I've put serious time into these days. Delighted the re-master has done well.

Also, *fistbump* for your username. Love Wu-Tang and especially that album.

Fredrik

He said it was sold-through when asked directly if it was shipped or sold-through, and know that this is the world-wide numbers, not just US, you seem to think the NPD report will show you the truth somehow, NPD is US retail only and MS is talking about the world-wide sales both retail and digital sales. Or did you think MS meant 1 million retail copies in US alone?

sam777

Just give it a fucking rest.

T.O.P

Banned

Is it personal or something for you? jesus :lol

Personally, I loved the game, and I'm planning on re-buying it on PC, so it saddens me when people are so militantly opposed to the possibility of this game doing well. It's just a video game at the end of the day, and this kind of toxic behavior is a bit baffling to me.

Anyway, the game is going to do solid numbers when it hits PC and PS4, and quite honestly, it deserves the sales.

Sales figures and game quality have no correlation, so don't be sad. But sales figures are a huge part of NeoGAF, and in this instance they are "MS internally calculated global sales figures" I assume this because they haven't even provided an asterix with how those totals are calculated? when it's over a week before NPD have calculated US sales figures alone.

Vitacat

I was one of those sales for each of these games this past December, having received an XB1 as a gift. Glad they sold well.

TM94

Can someone please tell me if it's shipped or sold?

I'm masturbating soon and I need to know what material I can work with.

Caayn

If you want to go all fantasy and have a rough angry session go with shipped. If you want a more down to earth session go with sold.

Either way, whip that thing.

Bgamer90

Banned

Why do you know/think this? MS would be in a lot of trouble if they lied. On top of this, NPD isn't going to show the whole story anyway -- especially for games like Tomb Raider and Forza which should have more than the average "outside of America interest" for Xbox exclusives.

Melchiah

TR2013 sold 3.4m in four weeks and over 8.5 to date. It's not surprising at all it pulled that off on XB1 and 360 so far. People tend to really undervalue the Tomb Raider franchise here. It has massive mainstream appeal and that's why Microsoft wanted it.

It's-it's not like I'm jealous or anything though. Well at least I can play it this year.

It's also worth bringing into that conversation about the previous game, that it launched on a potential buyer base of over 160 million, not even taking into account PC. So three platforms, with that many potential buyers...

1 million isn't the most amazing thing ever, but it is at least impressive compared to what the previous game did considering that.

Considering the TR2013 sales, and that less popular brands like Infamous sold a million in 9 days to a significantly smaller userbase, and Bloodborne the same amount within a month, a million across two platforms in two months doesn't sound a lot. Hell, even Killzone: Shadow Fall sold 2.1 million in 2½ months. Although, RoTR sold more than many would have expected, including me.

Strootman

according to greenberg sold through, still evilr claims that ms is lying here

who do we have to believe guys?!?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Man, people are still debating if the ROTR number are sold to costumers? Jeez.

If you don't believe Greenberg just wait for the NPD numbers. If they are very good (400K+) there's no way he was spinning.

This is actually a true statement some of the time which is why I had my doubts but the man came out and clarified and even went further to state it sold even more than 1M. He can't just lie about the numbers.

Why do you know/think this? MS would be in a lot of trouble if they lied. On top of this, NPD isn't going to show the whole story anyway -- especially for games like Tomb Raider and Forza which should have more than the average "outside of America interest" for Xbox exclusives.

The numbers have to be from pretty much just the US. TR hasn't done a thing in Europe.

I am the one who asked him on Twitter before (Shane Stocks).

6-anchorman-quotes-burgundy.gif

Man, people are still debating if the ROTR number are sold to costumers? Jeez.

If you don't believe Greenberg just wait for the NPD numbers. If they are very good (400K+) there's no way he was spinning.

They don't even need to be 400k+ to achieve the 1 million mark. If it pulls in the same as it's opening month or slightly more, which is quite possible, it should've/could've hit the 1 million mark. Let me quote a relevant post on the matter from this thread:

It's fairly common for November releases (Packaged US)

In 2013, of the 29 Nov releases that sold over 10k in launch month, 23 had higher December sales than November sales.

In 2014 there were also 29 November releases that sold over 10k in launch month, 11 of which had higher December sales.

Any other month? Yeah pretty rare to get a higher month 2 than month 1.

Tomb Raider had pretty mediocre/poor sales in it's launch month. With the discounts and how the two months have operated historically, it's quite likely that it either matched the sales figures, came extremely close or exceeded them.

Assuming that TR pulled 200k in December, that would make it so the game sold roughly ~400k in the US in Nov/Dec. With UK sales, that would put the sales total around ~550k (estimate since I don't have hard data for later UK periods) for the Nov/Dec. period. Factor into that figure the rest of the world (particularly Europe) and most importantly, digital sales and it could've crossed 1 million.

Of course, I personally think it likely did around 250k/300k in December in the US due to the discounts, thus helping it cross the 1m barrier.

Jumeira

Banned
No you've got it wrong.

See the difference?

Meltdown incoming. I'm enjoying the mental gymnastics being displayed.

Yurikerr

They don't even need to be 400k+ to achieve the 1 million mark. If it pulls in the same as it's opening month or slightly more, which is quite possible, it should've/could've hit the 1 million mark. Let me quote a relevant post on the matter from this thread:

Tomb Raider had pretty mediocre/poor sales in it's launch month. With the discounts and how the two months have operated historically, it's quite likely that it either matched the sales figures, came extremely close or exceeded them.

Assuming that TR pulled 200k in December, that would make it so the game sold roughly ~400k in the US in Nov/Dec. With UK sales, that would put the sales total around ~550k (estimate since I don't have hard data for later UK periods) for the Nov/Dec. period. Factor into that figure the rest of the world (particularly Europe) and most importantly, digital sales and it could've crossed 1 million.

Of course, I personally think it likely did around 250k/300k in December in the US due to the discounts, thus helping it cross the 1 m barrier.

Nice info. I'm just not sure about the TR numbers outside of US and UK. Let's say the game did the 550K you estimates (i agree with the UK range). Adding something like 25% digital we get more 140K sales. To get to 1 million the game need additional 310K sales across the rest of Europe + Asia + Japan (physical + digital).

As i posted in the NPD prediction thread yesterday, the game performance on Germany doesn't look very good and the XB1 install base outside of US/UK is not expressive. Isn't Germany supposed to be the 2nd stronger market of EU? Here's the weekly chart position of ROTR in Germany:

Week 1 - 09
Week 2 - 16
Week 3 - 28
Week 4 (07/12) - 46
Week 5 - 53
Week 6 - 62
Week 7 - 86

If UK got ~150K sales i can see the Germany number at most at 50K. There's still a lot of games that must have been sold on XB1 weaker markets. That's why i think the US number is so important. With the great wom, and the reduced price i can see the can selling very, very well in the US in december.

I personally can't see the game reaching 1 million if the US number isn't at least 55/60% of the total.

Nice info. I'm just not sure about the TR numbers outside of US and UK. Let's say the game did the 550K you estimates (i agree with the UK range). Adding something like 25% digital we get more 140K sales. To get to 1 million the game need additional 310K sales across the rest of Europe + Asia + Japan (physical + digital).

As i posted in the NPD prediction thread yesterday, the game performance on Germany doesn't look very good and the XB1 install base outside of US/UK is not expressive. Isn't Germany supposed to be the 2nd stronger market of EU? Here's the weekly chart position of ROTR in Germany:

Week 1 - 09
Week 2 - 16
Week 3 - 28
Week 4 (07/12) - 46
Week 5 - 53
Week 6 - 62
Week 7 - 86

If UK got ~150K sales i can see the Germany number at most at 50K. There's still a lot of games that must have been sold on XB1 weaker markets. That's why i think the US number is so important. With the great wom, and the reduced price i can see the can selling very, very well in the US in december.

I personally can't see the game reaching 1 million if the US number isn't at least 55/60% of the total.

Interesting German data, thanks for that. Hmm... I'm inclined to agree with you. It does point to higher then debut month sales in the US by a considerable margin to meet the 1 million figure.

John Wick

Simple reason is that to be quite honest it's irrelevant to us, yes we care about our games selling well (or selling badly, for some people), but in the larger picture us knowing how much a game is sold is irrelevant.

But nobody says exact figures so I'm not sure why you're calling MS out for it, What's the exact sales figures of Uncharted Collection? What about Splatoon? What about CS GO? I demand to know if Uncharted has reached 3,898,271 sales yet!

They've said it's sold over 1 million and have said that it's sold through to customers, what more do you want them to say? that it's sold 1,022,282
I just made this number up, I don't know the exact figures
copies as of 5th January 11:06AM GMT ? is that going to make you sleep better at night and somehow believe them more than them saying "over 1 million"?

It's quite obvious why MS don't give out actual figures of sales like they used to boast about last gen. The actual figures don't make it look good for them.

Yurikerr

Interesting German data, thanks for that. Hmm... I'm inclined to agree with you. It does point to higher then debut month sales in the US by a considerable margin to meet the 1 million figure.

The problem with this Germany data is that we don't have numbers to associate with the chart position. The only thing that can be said for sure is that the game didn't sell 100K as every time a game sell 100K in germany they note it.

And another sign that ROTR didn't reach 100K it's that it placed lower than AC Syndicate [ps4] every week (sometimes much much lower like the week where syndicate was 6 and tomb raider was 62) and AC just crossed 100K.

Chris1

It's quite obvious why MS don't give out actual figures of sales like they used to boast about last gen. The actual figures don't make it look good for them.
Nah I know why they won't give numbers out more often like they did in the past but it's not like Sony does what he's asking for either and they're winning this gen. Everyone is just as secretive about sales now so there's no reason to do it like they used to really.

Look at Sony, they announced 1 million and 2 million for Bloodborne for example, that's no different to this piece of PR except MS has announced 4 games at 1 million milestone instead of just 1. Sony hasn't even announced any numbers for Until Dawn yet just that it succeeded expectations yet it seems like people expect MS to update the sales figures of games every 50k copies sold or something.

I don't see how the actual figures don't look good for them though, 1million+ Forza 6, Gears and Tomb Raider is good even if it's on the low side of 1m. Unbelievably good to some people if this topic is anything to go by. Halo yeah it sold worse than the other games in the series but presumably that's at 2 million now, it's not like it's selling terrible, it just should be doing much better but I do agree with you on Halo at least, even then though it brought in a record amount of $ or some nonsense, so it's a success either way for them.

Hardware is a different story obviously but in terms of announcing video game sales all companies are the same really nowadays so I don't know why people try to attack MS/Xbox for doing the same thing as everyone else

TBiddy

How many game companies, publishers and the like publish exact data on their games?

Can you find me the sales numbers for Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection? What about for... God of War III Remastered?

Top Bottom