• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

I think the difficulty at 343/MS/Bungie/Sabre etc is that the look of all facets of the game has evolved on different tangents over the years. Halo 3 started a substantial change to the look and then Reach trumped the established look of everything. The Forerunner look is getting refined to specifics now and there really needs to be a shape and form bible and language for the games. The evolution is not because of bad art direction, and I'd argue that the art direction did the best they ever could given the real culprit...evolving technology.

Mr. Sam

Did Bungie scale down the difficulty for the later games? The Truth and Reconciliation has been kicking my ass up and down the ship. Cloaked elites? Elites with swords? Cloaked elites with swords? I might cry.

Mr. Sam said:
Did Bungie scale down the difficulty for the later games? The Truth and Reconciliation has been kicking my ass up and down the ship. Cloaked elites? Elites with swords? Cloaked elites with swords? I might cry.
I think you need to go play Halo 2 on Legendary again. That was cheap difficulty.

Legendary on this game is so perfectly balanced I can almost not believe it.

MrBig

Warm Machine said:
I think the difficulty at 343/MS/Bungie/Sabre etc is that the look of all facets of the game has evolved on different tangents over the years. Halo 3 started a substantial change to the look and then Reach trumped the established look of everything. The Forerunner look is getting refined to specifics now and there really needs to be a shape and form bible and language for the games. The evolution is not because of bad art direction, and I'd argue that the art direction did the best they ever could given the real culprit...evolving technology.
My problem is that they are going their own tangent and disregarding Bungie's developments. The redesign of the Cartographer and the other forerunner environments in Halo 3 should have been the jumping off point for the new iteration, not an introduction of new elements or styles.
Compound what you have and make it cohesive.

Barrow Roll said:
I think you need to go play Halo 2 on Legendary again. That was cheap difficulty.

Legendary on this game is so perfectly balanced I can almost not believe it.

Maybe I like pain, but I thought halo 2 legendary wasn't so bad, had no real trouble with it.

Now ninja gaiden black...*shivers*

Mr. Sam

I was going to say how it was nice to have my old foe the elite back. However, their ability to strafe and use cover effectively - as well as successfully ambushing me on the odd occasion - has made my blood boil.

CLEEK

ElzarTheBam said:
Maybe I like pain, but I thought halo 2 legendary wasn't so bad, had no real trouble with it.

There are two sticking points in Halo 2 that are forever burned into my brain.

The final checkpoint in the opening level was a right cunt, where you have a swarm of Elites with over powered shields in the land bay.

Worst of all was the dreaded Sniper Alley, with the infinitely cheap one-shot-kill headshots from Jackals.

SPE said:
There are two sticking points in Halo 2 that are forever burned into my brain.

The final checkpoint in the opening level was a right cunt, where you have a swarm of Elites with over powered shields in the land bay.

Worst of all was the dreaded Sniper Alley, with the infinitely cheap one-shot-kill headshots from Jackals.

Yeah, sniper alley was annoying, but at least there was a checkpoint before it.

LiK

Game looks so gorgeous. I cannot go back to the original gfx. I go back to check and boy, so sparse and flat. New graphics blow it away, obviously.

Btw, anyone else think the dialogue audio is lower than the music? I wish there was an option to adjust the volume for them. I only see video options. :/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
Nope didn't work. Maybe it's a puzzle and we have to match two terminals together.

Edit Just tried again and it worked on one.

Probably related to Waypoint difficulties from this morning. hopefully all working now.

And no, this is not the Easter Egg I was talking about yesterday. That was a false alarm. me and Ellis thought someone had figured it out. But then we read the preceding threads. Nobody has found best egg yet.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
Probably related to Waypoint difficulties from this morning. hopefully all working now.

And no, this is not the Easter Egg I was talking about yesterday. That was a false alarm. me and Ellis thought someone had figured it out. But then we read the preceding threads. Nobody has found best egg yet.

Didn't think it was. And yea it seems to be working. Right now I'm watching these to get the rest. It's kind of annoying to enter them though. More so when I can't draw symbols right.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, the new Waypoint application is fantastic, thanks for reminding me to download it. Excellent work, 343.

SPE said:
Ugggh, I still remember the first moment when I saw a white Elite survive a plasma grenade stick. Worst difficult spike ever.

JMizzlin

This terminal code in Waypoint thing is really interesting.

Can anyone clarify what we have to do? Is it just enter one code or enter mix and match combinations of codes from various videos? I'm using some Youtube videos and entering 5-string and 10-string codes, but nothing is working :(

ElRenoRaven

Goddamn it. Trying to enter my last code and now it gets the waypoint server is unavailable error. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kicks me out to the start screen too.

Trasher

PsychoRaven said:
Try installing it to hdd. That actually improved it a lot for me.
I already did lol. Didn't fix the first cutscene or the intro. Still behaved the same.

Also, why is it that the main menu scrolling is so touchy? I hit down once and the thing scrolls over two options.

The Lamonster said:
I'm thinking the netcode sucks. It's terribly choppy in online co-op and it makes it hard to aim.

And the volume leveling when someone speaks is driving me crazy...
Alright, so this is more likely to be a wide spread issue. Damn it. I hope Saber or 343i will patch this nonsense. The lag I experienced when not hosting meant that I couldn't aim for shit with pistol and was better off with the AR.

ElRenoRaven

Finally 5th try and I got the last one entered. All I have to say is HOLY SHIT that bonus terminal!!!

Sad that they couldn't have gotten
Miguel Ferrer back to voice the Heretic Leader again.
Great terminal otherwise.

JMizzlin

PsychoRaven said:
Finally 5th try and I got the last one entered. All I have to say is HOLY SHIT that bonus terminal!!!

Sad that they couldn't have gotten
Miguel Ferrer back to voice the Heretic Leader again.
Great terminal otherwise.

?!? What is your process??

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
OuterWorldVoice said:

You should PM me the easter egg. I just want to laugh at everyone trying to figure it out. lol

ElRenoRaven

Write down the symbols at the end of the terminal. Then enter them in the menu that you get to in waypoint. After you have entered them all it unlocks a bonus terminal.

JMizzlin

PsychoRaven said:
Write down the symbols at the end of the terminal. Then enter them in the menu that you get to in waypoint. After you have entered them all it unlocks a bonus terminal.

Cheers. So just the 5 code strings? Are you supposed to get confirmation at all? Because every time I enter a code I just get '... No data recovered'.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Is this an in game egg, or terminal/waypoint style egg?

Also it is kind of sad to see the Megg gone, can any of you comment on that? I mean I can understand why it is gone I suppose, I am just kind of surprised you guys cut it entirely. From what I can tell you cannot even get the door to open any more.

ElRenoRaven

Eye Drop said:
Cheers. So just the 5 code strings? Are you supposed to get confirmation at all? Because every time I enter a code I just get '... No data recovered'.

Yes. Just enter the code from each terminal individually one at a time. Then hit the double arrow thing each time and if you entered it right it will load up the stuff for that level. It's usually 7k Reach credits and a background. I haven't figured out where to get the background or use it. Also it will unlock the terminal for you to watch via that menu too in waypoint. If you are and it's giving you that error then maybe if you haven't found that terminal in game yet is why.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Devin Olsen said:
Is this an in game egg, or terminal/waypoint style egg?

Also it is kind of sad to see the Megg gone, can any of you comment on that? I mean I can understand why it is gone I suppose, I am just kind of surprised you guys cut it entirely. From what I can tell you cannot even get the door to open any more.

Check your PMs!

Lima

Okay so they didn't really test the co-op did they?

That is like the MAJOR feature for the remake that you can play this shit over live. But it is almost unplayable for the client.

Count in the bad framerate, the wonky aiming in "new" mode and constant texture stream-in and this remake is not the fun I thought it would be.

Seriously disappointed right now.

I’ve only been playing installed so I don’t know if that is the reason, but where the hell are all of these framerate and texture issues everyone keeps going on about?
I’ve only played the first two levels so it may change the further in I get, but so far I haven’t had any noticeable issue in either regard.

Really impressive so far, and my only complaint is minor aesthetic choices like making the rocks on Halo brown instead of looking like bluestone in the original, etc.

Also, I know it’s a gimmick. But being able to change your contrast and brightness via Kinect voice controls in real time is pretty awesome. It’s nice to see the immediate change, and not have to go into a menu where you kind of forget how it looked by the time you exit back out.

Top Bottom