• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Domino Theory said:
Thanks, also, does anyone else think that
the AI talking to GS
in the TR terminal is
the Gravemind?
It sort of matches the (HUGE Cyrptum spoiler)
the mysterious Precursor who shows up at the end of the book who's rumored to be the Gravemind.

Or at the least
intelligent part of the Gravemind.
Hmm. I don't think so. But by god was it an amazing terminal.

daedalius

Domino Theory said:
the AI talking to GS
in the TR terminal is
the Gravemind?
the mysterious Precursor who shows up at the end of the book who's rumored to be the Gravemind.

Or at the least

You'd think the Covenant AIs would be smart enough not to release the flood... derp. Maybe the Gravemind was reaching out to them with its influence to get the flood released on 04.
I think from the later terminals it looked like the flood had already broken out on some of the other installations. I really need to finish the games so I can see the rest of the terminals!

{big cryptum spoiler}
the precursor was pissed, I can't wait for Primordium. Still wondering if he created the Flood, or the Gravemind or something; I think I typed up some huge theory in the Reach OT, haha.

Domino Theory said:
the AI talking to GS
in the TR terminal is
the Gravemind?

Or at the least
It's a
Covenant AI.

The ship looks a lot like one of these. Maybe a Ancient Human ship?

Edit.: Argh I did a mistake.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood, but I played the first campaign level, then a game of multiplayer.

I sat on it, then put in MW3...

As a hardcore halo fan (buy EVERYTHING on day 1, including books), this upsets me. I wish Halo could just cave a little in certain aspects. Upset the 30,000 people who play it daily and mix it up. People just might like it. Call of duty did it with cod4. Sure some folks didn't like it, but everyone wound up loving the changes.

Is this heresy? Or does anyone agree?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Cool, during the end of T&R after I rescued Keyes the game just hard locked my console forcing me to restart it. Now I have to do the whole mission over. Why didn't 343 implement some sort of auto-save?

daedalius said:
You'd think the Covenant AIs would be smart enough not to release the flood... derp. Maybe the Gravemind was reaching out to them with its influence to get the flood released on 04.
I think from the later terminals it looked like the flood had already broken out on some of the other installations. I really need to finish the games so I can see the rest of the terminals!
What does the AI have to do with releasing the Flood? The Covenant did that by themselves.

And the Flood had already broken out on Installation 05 for quite some time previously to the events of 2552. This is apparent in Halo 2.

Covenat AIs are really, really "stupid" compared to their human counterparts. This is demonstrated to great effect in First Strike.

I hope some sections of Halo 4 have the same sense of foreboding that 343 Guilty Spark does. The hallways filled with Covenant bodes or caked with blood are still pretty chilling.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hypertrooper said:
It's a
Covenant AI.

The ship looks a lot like one of these. Maybe a Ancient Human ship?

Edit.: Argh I did a mistake.

Ancient humans are long dead by the time this happens, and anyway, 343 GS can't identify the ship.

monome

I don't think the Terminals are meant to introduce big new twists. I thought it was a covenant AI on a covenant ship but the discussion ain't very clear and the AI was sort of menacing and full of itself.
Cryptum could have been everything, instead it deals with the Didact/Librarian stuff so I fully expect for the Precursor to have created the Flood. I don't see the trilogy as reiventing but rather refining the lore

monome

OuterWorldVoice said:
Ancient humans are long dead by the time this happens, and anyway, 343 GS can't identify the ship.

343GS didn't not even the Halos were successfull so identifying a ship to be covenant ore else seems difficult. Also it's programmed to serve reclaimers and covies are no reclaimers.
Me want spoilers Frankie, Me sell me me balls

Thanks for Anniversary, first time finishing Halo CE, great game, I enjoyed it mucho (and having choice english dub on the french copy is the way to go!!!)

S1kkZ

OuterWorldVoice said:

343 also couldnt identify the covenant (only after talking to that ai he knew they called themselves covenant). so the ship is not human, forerunner or covenant (343 would remember the crashed ship). the bigger question: why didnt the people on the ship try to go outside?

S1kkZ said:
343 also couldnt identify the covenant (only after talking to that ai he knew they called themselves covenant). so the ship is not human, forerunner or covenant (343 would remember the crashed ship). the bigger question: why didnt the people on the ship try to go outside?
I'm assuming they all died on impact.

monome

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
I hope some sections of Halo 4 have the same sense of foreboding that 343 Guilty Spark does. The hallways filled with Covenant bodes or caked with blood are still pretty chilling.

the music introducing the new enemy is menacing enough to convince me much colored blood will be shed in Halo 4

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just came back from my friends place, we played to chapter 5... My God, this game truly is fun as hell just like the original Halo :D Problem here is that I spent most of the time switching graphics ._.

monome

S1kkZ said:

we are talking about the big squary ship that Sentinels are repairing?
it was unidentified yes, I thought we were talking about the covenant one with the AI

BrokenBox said:
Anyone else see the trollface on "Pillar of Autumn?" It's on a bulletin board right before you meet up with Keyes. It's on a sign that says "DARK PLANETOID RISING."
Prepare to have your mind blown:

"Dark Planetoid Rising" is an old HaloGAF meme from 2008. The trollface is meant for GAF.

TheOddOne

I thought people were talking about
the ship
in the Terminal of Assault on the Control Room?
From the terminal I get the impression that 343 Guilty Spark doesn't know if they are alive (''If they still live'').

S1kkZ

TheOddOne said:
I thought people where talking about
the ship
in the Terminal of Assault on the Control Room?
From the terminal I get the impression that 343 Guilty Spark doesn't know if they are alive (''If they still live'').
weird. he can sense and analyse everything/everyone on the pillar of autumn will she is still in space but he cannot detect if someone in the crashed ship (right next to him) is alive?

daedalius

Dax01 said:
What does the AI have to do with releasing the Flood? The Covenant did that by themselves.

And the Flood had already broken out on Installation 05 for quite some time previously to the events of 2552. This is apparent in Halo 2.

Covenat AIs are really, really "stupid" compared to their human counterparts. This is demonstrated to great effect in First Strike.

Need to read first strike.

I guess the covie AI wouldn't have any idea what the flood even was. I still wonder why the Covenant went digging enough to release the flood in the first place, is that covered in the book 'the flood'?

ncsuDuncan said:
Prepare to have your mind blown:

"Dark Planetoid Rising" is an old HaloGAF meme from 2008. The trollface is meant for GAF.
It was an AJ meme first, but most of us were/are all over this place too. We are legion or whatever.

Kibbles said:
So anyone else switch to classic mode when elites are around while playing Legendary? It's a lot better because I can actually see them and see their shields when I hit as opposed to new graphics mode where it's like shooting a sandbag. They also just generally look better in classic, imo :p
Preach.

Kibbles

So anyone else switch to classic mode when elites are around while playing Legendary? It's a lot better because I can actually see them and see their shields when I hit as opposed to new graphics mode where it's like shooting a sandbag. They also just generally look better in classic, imo :p

monome

ok, so my squary ship was just a sealing coffin put over the crazy ship by 343GS to prevent leaks and signals emissions.
The ship does indeed match rather fine the purple ships on primordium cover. Excellent find!
Is it possible that such a ship is responsible for the bombing at the end of Glasslands?

monome

S1kkZ said:
weird. he can sense and analyse everything/everyone on the pillar of autumn will she is still in space but he cannot detect if someone in the crashed ship (right next to him) is alive?

thz signal emitted is coded in forunner speech or is it the analyzing program we see flash letters?

monome

two weeks before the ship ceases to emit distress signals it starts to emit gases that 343GS sterilises. Somme proof something organic was inside?

Kibbles said:

I miss the old gold sword elite model. I wish they could have used the blue ones and made them yellow. There are other issues similar to the shield problem. I have noticed that the Hunter's Fuel Rod is hard to see pre-launch due to the glow effect being non-existent in the new graphics mode. I can deal with new graphics making invisible elites harder but the fuel rod problem seems a bit silly. Regardless the Hunters are a pushover if you fight them in close range.

Some other graphic issues I noticed with the game is that it renders a lot of extra stuff that isn't actually there. If you walk around the map you'll notice a lot of hollow objects compared to the original because in the original they don't exist there. Some places have way too much stuff compared to the original. It's fine by me because it looks nicer but I feel a disconnect when I start clipping through walls and trees that aren't actually there.

TheOddOne

monome said:
thz signal emitted is coded in forunner speech or is it the analyzing program we see flash letters?
I saw different symbols, looking at the Halo Waypoint layout it doesn't fit the Forerunner style.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Let's say if the original plan was to destory every sentinet life of the universe(I ain't talking about a mere galaxy. I'm talking about the whole stuff above, beneath, beside us) with the 12 Halo Rings, but somehow the Flood or an another threat destroyed 5 of these rings to traverse this plan, that will explain why there is only 7 rings. The Didact had no choice, but just take the fight to the other galaxy with the last reserve of the Forerunner army with new unknown ships to defeat this threat on their ground. But no one really knew about this kinda suicide mission. One ship got hijacked by the threat and used it to get to the milky way and crashed landed on Halo, because the remaining forerunner soldiers fought against the threat inside of the ship. After they knew, they had no chance against it, they locked down the ship to avoid the escape. That would explain that the lack of gas was the same mixture like the atmosphere of the Ring, why no one went out of the ship, why some galaxies vanished at the end of the Maw Terminals, and why I got a F in English back in grade 5.

daedalius said:
Need to read first strike.

I guess the covie AI wouldn't have any idea what the flood even was. I still wonder why the Covenant went digging enough to release the flood in the first place, is that covered in the book 'the flood'?
The Covenant were just exploring the ring as much as possible and accidentally released the Flood. There must have been signs, as Cortana said, but they ignored them.

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
Let's say if the original plan was to destory every sentinet life of the universe(I ain't talking about a mere galaxy. I'm talking about the whole stuff above, beneath, beside us) with the 12 Halo Rings, but somehow the Flood or an another threat destroyed 5 of these rings to traverse this plan, that will explain why there is only 7 rings. The Didact had no choice, but just take the fight to the other galaxy with the last reserve of the Forerunner army with new unknown ships to defeat this threat on their ground. But no one really knew about this kinda suicide mission. One ship got hijacked by the threat and used it to get to the milky way and crashed landed on Halo, because the remaining forerunner soldiers fought against the threat inside of the ship. After they knew, they had no chance against it, they locked down the ship to avoid the escape. That would explain that the lack of gas was the same mixture like the atmosphere of the Ring, why no one went out of the ship, why some galaxies vanished at the end of the Maw Terminals, and why I got a F in English back in grade 5.
That teacher should have been fired for giving you such a grade. Smh.

monome

TheOddOne said:
I saw different symbols, looking at the Halo Waypoint layout it doesn't fit the Forerunner style.

Alright I stand corrected, but it is quite close to forunner speech in its presentation.
If some forunners were kept alive for hundred thousand of years might they have evolve their speech? It could also introduce a rift between forunners pre-Halo and those possibly in existence after.
The Didact is presented as having been resented from the decision making prior to making Halos and using them, he may have a dissident population with him.

Hypertrooper said:
Weren't several rings destroyed by Forerunner vessels in Cryptum? Of course, that doesn't explain why they were simply rebuilt.

Those folks at 343 are probably looking at this thread with popcorn in hand.

monome

Hypertrooper said:

I like your style man.

TheOddOne

monome said:
Alright I stand corrected, but it is quite close to forunner speech in its presentation.
If some forunners were kept alive for hundred thousand of years might they have evolve their speech? It could also introduce a rift between forunners pre-Halo and those possibly in existence after.
The Didact is presented as having been resented from the decision making prior to making Halos and using them, he may have a dissident population with him.
It's sounds all plausible. Time will tell I guess ;)

Major Williams said:
Maybe I'm just not in the mood, but I played the first campaign level, then a game of multiplayer.

I sat on it, then put in MW3...

As a hardcore halo fan (buy EVERYTHING on day 1, including books), this upsets me. I wish Halo could just cave a little in certain aspects. Upset the 30,000 people who play it daily and mix it up. People just might like it. Call of duty did it with cod4. Sure some folks didn't like it, but everyone wound up loving the changes.

Is this heresy? Or does anyone agree?

I felt the exact same way. That first level is a slog. Play the next campaign level. It'll start to feel right. ;)

Syracuse022 said:
It was an AJ meme first, but most of us were/are all over this place too. We are legion or whatever.

True, I guess it did originate at AJ. I just know it's a meme HaloGAF used frequently.

I love in-joke easter eggs like that. Still searching for a Mike Dongblain reference in CEA.

monome

TheOddOne said:
It's sounds all plausible. Time will tell I guess ;)

It's fun because Hypertrooper made his own little story with the Didact as I was writting. I guess we agree on the Didact being alive with some other forunners because he did his oown stuff prior to the firing. Hyoertroooper may have found a way to explain how anything could have survived, me i'm guessing the same bubble splipspace stuff as in Glasslands just because franchises love assets re-use

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Weren't several rings destroyed by Forerunner vessels in Cryptum? Of course, that doesn't explain why they were simply rebuilt.

Those folks at 343 are probably looking at this thread with popcorn in hand.
Yeah. There were 12 rings originally, but by the end of Cryptum I think only seven remained, one being heavily damaged.

S1kkZ

the only thing i am worried about: with the huge amount of story stuff told in the recent (and upcoming) novels, will halo fans who only play the games be able to make sense of it all when they play halo 4? or will 343 just ignore most of the story stuff like bungie did with halo 1-reach? they cannot fit all of the background information from cryptum and glasslands (havent read it yet) into halo 4, right?

wwm0nkey

S1kkZ said:
the only thing i am worried about: with the huge amount of story stuff told in the recent (and upcoming) novels, will halo fans who only play the games be able to make sense of it all? or will 343 just ignore most of the lore like bungie did with halo 1-reach? they cannot fit all of the background information from cryptum and glasslands (havent read it yet) into halo 4, right?
I have a feeling we will see stuff like terminals in future Halo games that will explain things.

S1kkZ

wwm0nkey said:
I have a feeling we will see stuff like terminals in future Halo games that will explain things.
yeah, that would be awesome. i hope the animated terminals are now a part of every halo game. bungie left all the story stuff out of the games and moved it to the novels and it worked (for the most part). but i am not so sure if this will work for halo 4.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
S1kkZ said:
the only thing i am worried about: with the huge amount of story stuff told in the recent (and upcoming) novels, will halo fans who only play the games be able to make sense of it all when they play halo 4? or will 343 just ignore most of the story stuff like bungie did with halo 1-reach? they cannot fit all of the background information from cryptum and glasslands (havent read it yet) into halo 4, right?

343 Have went out of the way to tell fans that folks that soak up the extra fiction will have bigger payoffs in future games than previously.

So whilst you'll never have to read a book to understand the plot of Halo 4, doing so will fill you in on the background of the some of the events and characters you'll meet in the next game.

Halo 4 will not have all the background information from Glasslands and Cryptum - thats why those books exist - to give you that information.

Top Bottom