• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

monome

(Looks at polaroid picture)
"Frankie"
(turns over polaroid picture)
"Don't believe his lies"

the truth is the VGA's need Halo more than Halo needs the VGAs.

Maybe we get something viral launched around Christmas, something that plays with Waypoint's text input interface.

PS : I'd love easter eggs in primordium, like pages with stuff written in Forunner that I can go use on waypoint to see artworks of Forunners cities and machines...

Also, many times it's not a good idea to give away your position by shooting at anyone you see, especially from across the other side in a larger map. You shouldn't be engaging in every possible battle, as a player's stealthiness can be just as important as his/her shot accuracy in such types of games.

I've always felt this is part of what set Halo apart from other FPS games. Knowing when to engage, when to retreat, thinking about how you want to approach the enemy and gain an advantageous position, and - if an enemy gets the drop on you - how to take the advantage away from them using your wits, weapons, and environment.

As a long-time Quake player, my success at Halo increased exponentially after two epiphanies:

1) Headshots don't do more damage when an enemy has shields, so aim for center mass until the shield pops. Fewer wasted shots from aiming at a smaller target.

2) Staying alive is more important than stacking up kills. When I concentrated on surviving encounters - running when I felt I was losing control, letting enemies pass without engaging because it wasn't in my best interest to engage, etc - my K/D and W/L both shot up so damn fast.

wwm0nkey

the truth is the VGA's need Halo more than Halo needs the VGAs.

Maybe we get something viral launched around Christmas, something that plays with Waypoint's text input interface.

PS : I'd love easter eggs in primordium, like pages with stuff written in Forunner that I can go use on waypoint to see artworks of Forunners cities and machines...

For the VGAs I see Bungie's Destiny as a more appropriate reveal. Save Halo 4 for something massive.

monome

For the VGAs I see Bungie's Destiny as a more appropriate reveal. Save Halo 4 for something massive.

Bungie at VGAs would shock and awe me and make me curl and cry because there is so much wait beofre we play the Next Big Thing.
Anything Destiny related in 2012 can only be a mobile application or a crazy viral marketing campaign.

Regarding Halo at VGA, 343i needs to get players interested and get them to stay that way. next COD will be massive, whatever MS pays to promote Halo. So a little VGA trailer ain't a bad investment 'cause even big franchises need a constant exposure to get new players and retain old ones. Considering the VGAs not good enough for a trailer is pesky.
But with the CG reveal and the teaser, their options to not reveal too much too early are limited.
When the introduce the enemies or the gameplay tweaks, mamma-mia! :)))

voltron

Damn keen as shit to play this but basically forgotten about it. Ordered from Play Asia for $35 AUD... basically cheap as shit and less then half price. But it still hasnt arrived. Longest Play Asia delivery ever.

monome

Damn keen as shit to play this but basically forgotten about it. Ordered from Play Asia for $35 AUD... basically cheap as shit and less then half price. But it still hasnt arrived. Longest Play Asia delivery ever.

I wish my copy of uncharted 3 had taken this long...

elektrixx

Banned
Instead of playing the remake I finially finished the last two levels of the original game.

It really sucks! The checkpoints are bad and the last level is HORRIBLE. The level is not designed to have a warthog driven around. Even the ramps and stuff don't work properly as the vehicle overshoots/flips because they aren't lined up properly.

I will not be playing this again.

monome

Instead of playing the remake I finially finished the last two levels of the original game.

It really sucks! The checkpoints are bad and the last level is HORRIBLE. The level is not designed to have a warthog driven around. Even the ramps and stuff don't work properly as the vehicle overshoots/flips because they aren't lined up properly.

It's part of the fun, really.
And Halo 3 fixed that sequence the bigger and better way.

It's been years since I did the warthog run and in the remake basically cleared it perfectly, some jumps don't work as intended sure but it's by far not the worst thing ever, or horrible IMO

You can't just hold the throttle and aim forward to win :p

Flipyap

It's been years since I did the warthog run and in the remake basically cleared it perfectly, some jumps don't work as intended sure but it's by far not the worst thing ever, or horrible IMO

You can't just hold the throttle and aim forward to win :p
The difference is that you did it before. You knew what to expect, but when you first play it, that sequence comes out of nowhere and the game does nothing to prepare you for it. There is exactly one warthog jump you have to do before this, and it's almost at the very start of the game. Suddenly the game expects the player to be able to execute precise maneuvers on a timer after a whole game of casually doing donuts in huge open spaces.
I think there's a whole lot of luck involved in making your first experience with that section enjoyable. Eventually I learned how to have fun with it, but at first it was insanely frustrating.

I don't mind the Warthog run at the end of CE. My only problem with the entire sequence doesn't have to do with the course itself, but the hog's handling. On the ground it's fine (though it could be better if the steering were tighter like in 2/3) but when it gets in the air, anything can happen.

Trey

The difference is that you did it before. You knew what to expect, but when you first play it, that sequence comes out of nowhere and the game does nothing to prepare you for it. There is exactly one warthog jump you have to do before this, and it's almost at the very start of the game. Suddenly the game expects the player to be able to execute precise maneuvers on a timer after a whole game of casually doing donuts in huge open spaces.
I think there's a whole lot of luck involved in making your first experience with that section enjoyable. Eventually I learned how to have fun with it, but at first it was insanely frustrating.

I think that adds to the urgency and epicness of the final sequence. The build up to the Warthog rush, the music during, and mowing through droves of enemies like never before makes for great gameplay. From a game design perspective, it isn't conducive to success. But from a harder to quantify "experience" point of view, it's absolutely exhilarating.

"Wildcat destabilization? Girl you cray. What do you mean "blow up?" So I just have to go out this door and up this elevator and then end game cutscene, right? Oh, how convenient, a Warthog for me to ride into the sunset on. Hm, I don't remember the ship being this complicated. Pretty maze like, go figure. You want me to jump over THAT gap. Fuck outta here--okay okay, only two minutes or we're blown to shit, I get it. Foehammer, noooooooo. Oh shit oh shit oh shit. Shit is real, how do you turn this beast?! Fuck, the Flood. Oh, I can run them over? Why didn't I do this before? Haha, this is fun. OH snap, I flipped the Warthog over because I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS SHIT. X-X-X-X-X, flip the fuck upright, dammit!"

Most people died there, I assume.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Heh, thats cool. I always like how things can be dug out of a games code to get a little insight on what might have been.

Btw, was "lightning bolt" the secret easter egg that Frankie was talking about, or do we suspect more Kinect phrases hidden in the game?

Lightning Bolt. There are still a couple of other little eggs tho, but nothing major.

Okay. I have four achievements to go: the co-op ones and the "kill four Wraiths with the tank" achievement. I'm going to go through AotCR right now with the Grunt Funeral skull (I'm enjoying the skull a lot more than I thought I would).

Also, I'm really liking the art for the individual levels in the main menu. So good.

Havok

Okay. I have four achievements to go: the co-op ones and the "kill four Wraiths with the tank" achievement. I'm going to go through AotCR right now with the Grunt Funeral skull (I'm enjoying the skull a lot more than I thought I would).

Also, I'm really liking the art for the individual levels in the main menu. So good.
Remember to run straight through to the Scorpion so the Wraith will follow you instead of killing it before you get there. I made that mistake my first try by misremembering the level's Wraith count.

Remember to run straight through to the Scorpion so the Wraith will follow you instead of killing it before you get there. I made that mistake my first try by misremembering the level's Wraith count.
Yeah...I just made the same mistake. Haha, but I stopped in the second half of the first canyon and said to myself, "Wait a minute..."

Trey

Master Chief and Cortana betrayed Guilty Spark, because of not activating the Halo-Ring. (First Betrayal) And so Guilty Spark betrays them. (Second Betrayal)

Yeah,
the "One Betrayal and the Betrayed Party's Expected Response" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well.

Flipyap

Marine: "Thank god it's you!"
Kinect: "Oh, throw a plasma grenade at the marine's face? Okey-dokey!"

Future of video games, you guys!

Trey

That shit was killing me yesterday. The grenade command is much too lenient. I was hoping the "System" setting would limit stuff like that, but alas...

The game is so much easier in classic mode than remastered mode.

Ecrofirt

Anyone have any tips for Keyes on Heroic?

This level is kicking my fucking ass. I'm getting destroyed right after getting back on the ship. I was as stealthy as possible outside to avoid confrontation and keep my ammo and health counts high, but as soon as I get on the ship I'm getting wrecked.

There's what appears to be a monster closet as I round a corner in a hallway, and Flood are spawning there non-stop. If I do a bit of sneaky maneuvering I can get around that corner mostly unscathed, but as soon as I round the corner again I've got another hallway and then what I've begun calling the hangar of death. My shit is getting wrecked.

There's what appears to be a monster closet as I round a corner in a hallway, and Flood are spawning there non-stop. If I do a bit of sneaky maneuvering I can get around that corner mostly unscathed, but as soon as I round the corner again I've got another hallway and then what I've begun calling the hangar of death. My shit is getting wrecked.
There are monster closets all over the level. The best thing you can do is charge at the spawn location as soon as there is a momentary lapse in the combat. Have a shotgun handy, and if you're really having difficulty, abandon the AR for the pistol.

Gui_PT

This level is kicking my fucking ass. I'm getting destroyed right after getting back on the ship. I was as stealthy as possible outside to avoid confrontation and keep my ammo and health counts high, but as soon as I get on the ship I'm getting wrecked.

I usually throw a grenade and run past everything shooting the shotgun/pistol like crazy giving them no time to respawn

Ecrofirt

There are monster closets all over the level. The best thing you can do is charge at the spawn location as soon as there is a momentary lapse in the combat. Have a shotgun handy, and if you're really having difficulty, abandon the AR for the pistol.

I'll try ditching the AR. Damn thing feels useless against the Flood anyhow.

Trey

Go for the limbs, acquire a pet.

What are the weapon tier lists for the campaign? I'm thinking it goes something like this:

v. Covenant

Sniper Rifle
Pistol
Rocket Launcher
Shotgun
Plasma Rifle
AR
Needler
PP

v. Flood

Shotgun
Pistol
Rocket Launcher
AR
Needler (full combine)

PooBone

I've never had the timer run out on me, including the very first time I ever played it. You can wreck 5 times and still clear it easy. What's the big deal?

EDIT:
Still baffled by the lack of audio options, when I don't have my headphones on the game sounds terrible. You can't hear a single line of dialogue.

ElRenoRaven

I've never had the timer run out on me, including the very first time I ever played it. You can wreck 5 times and still clear it easy. What's the big deal?

EDIT:
Still baffled by the lack of audio options, when I don't have my headphones on the game sounds terrible. You can't hear a single line of dialogue.

Wait people can actually fail that? I honestly never knew that. You have to be seriously awful at games to fail that. It's not hard to drive the Warthog. Never has been. You simply point it where you want it to go. You can't get any simpler then that.

That's been a problem for me with several Halo games, hopefully it won't be an issue in Halo 4. Perhaps I need a better audio set-up.

daedalius

The sniper rifle is hilariously ineffective against the flood, not to mention sentinels.

You'd think a sub-sonic anti-material round would shred flood. But a whole clip pretty much does nothing.

Go for the limbs, acquire a pet.

What are the weapon tier lists for the campaign? I'm thinking it goes something like this:

v. Covenant (non-elite)

Sniper Rifle
Pistol
Rocket Launcher
Shotgun
Plasma Rifle
AR
Needler
PP

v. Elites
Plasma Pistol (stuns elite, removes shield. Great for followup headshot or sticky grenade)
Pistol
Needler (full combine)
Shotgun
Rocket Launcher

v. Flood

Shotgun
AR (great for popping infection forms and for general mob control when you're out of shotgun shells)
Pistol (only really good for long-range and popping carrier forms)
Needler (full combine)
Rocket Launcher

Added Elite category. Otherwise, pretty close to my playstyle.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The sniper rifle is hilariously ineffective against the flood, not to mention sentinels.

You'd think a sub-sonic anti-material round would shred flood. But a whole clip pretty much does nothing.

World War Z explains this phenomenon in great depth.

Wait people can actually fail that? I honestly never knew that. You have to be seriously awful at games to fail that. It's not hard to drive the Warthog. Never has been. You simply point it where you want it to go. You can't get any simpler then that.
There are more than a couple of places to fall off the main path and lose a lot of time. ESPECIALLY if you play drunk. ;-)

Velocity is too high, just goes right through them.

This stuff happens way to much. Still its hilarious every time it happens. My favorite experience was, I was playing lets see how many flood friends we can make. I shoot one to make both of the arms fall off and it runs right up next to me...
Me: Yes! I have a friend!
Kinect: Stick with plasma grenade
Me: I SAID FRIEND! *dies*

Trey

Yeah, the SR is terrible against the Flood. You can one shot the Flood with the sniper rifle in Halo 2. But you can do it with the Carbine, BR and Magnum as well.

Also, I'm not familiar with any sniper rounds that are sub-sonic.

Added Elite category. Otherwise, pretty close to my playstyle.

v. Elites
Plasma Pistol (stuns elite, removes shield. Great for followup headshot or sticky grenade)
Pistol
Needler (full combine)
Shotgun
Rocket Launcher

v. Flood

Shotgun
AR (great for popping infection forms and for general mob control when you're out of shotgun shells)
Pistol (only really good for long-range and popping carrier forms)
Needler (full combine)
Rocket Launcher

I rarely use the PP on Elites but I should probably start to do so more. I don't like to use it because that means I have to switch to the pistol and the delay gives Elites time to retreat. Also leaves me open to attack from Grunts/Jackals in the area, considering most of the time I try to take the Elites out first.

I like the pistol over the AR for the simple reason that I don't engage the Flood close range unless I have a shotgun. Three shots usually does the job.

PooBone

That's been a problem for me with several Halo games, hopefully it won't be an issue in Halo 4. Perhaps I need a better audio set-up.

I had that issue with Reach when going from headphones to surround sound to just TV audio, but you can adjust your output settings to make it sound fine no matter which source you're getting your splosions and talky talky from.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The last time I played CE I had to give up my Legendary run because I couldn't beat the Warthog run. I tried like thirty times. So close, yet so far away. :-(

PooBone

The last time I played CE I had to give up my Legendary run because I couldn't beat the Warthog run. I tried like thirty times. So close, yet so far away. :-(

mind boggling. Just drive to the sides, most of the rooms that don't have tunnels right down the middle have straight little catwalks on the left and right you can drive on. I had no idea anyone actually found this challenging.

Trey

mind boggling. Just drive to the sides, most of the rooms that don't have tunnels right down the middle have straight little catwalks on the left and right you can drive on. I had no idea anyone actually found this challenging.

Calm down, everyone isn't a zen Hog master. It's not exactly the most intuitive vehicle to control.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever, I'm just too pro for vehicles. 1v1!?!?!

:-(

Gui_PT

I have never ever, not even on my 1st time, lost during the Hog Run.

Well except when I was looking for cool easter eggs or trying to do tricks. It's a really easy but fun section of the level. And a great way to end the game.

daedalius

World War Z explains this phenomenon in great depth.

I am ready to be enlightened, Fronk.

Doesn't the sniper work just fine against the flood in later games though? ;)

I guess I just figured a massive sniper round would rip the combat forms apart, but maybe that have super dense fleshy armor or something. The pistol works really well against them, but we all know that thing shoots nukes.

The SR works in later games only if you shoot the infection form in the chest cavity. It's good for taking the shields off of shielded Flood, too.

The pistol works because the HE rounds explode on impact, doing more damage.

The AR works because of the sheer amount of rounds being put into the thing.

Ah yes, the semi-armor piercing high-explosive pistol rounds that were amazing in H1; Dat M6D!

To be honest, I didn't really use the SR in the other games, I was much more a 'shoot out the infection form with BR'; I guess I just figured the SR to work halfway decent. Bout to start pushing through H2 again soon.

Trey

I am ready to be enlightened, Fronk.

Doesn't the sniper work just fine against the flood in later games though? ;)

I guess I just figured a massive sniper round would rip the combat forms apart, but maybe that have super dense fleshy armor or something. The pistol works really well against them, but we all know that thing shoots nukes.

The SR works in later games only if you shoot the infection form in the chest cavity. It's good for taking the shields off of shielded Flood, too.

The pistol works because the HE rounds explode on impact, doing more damage.

The AR works because of the sheer amount of rounds being put into the thing.

Top Bottom