• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

God how I miss the hover. The banshee is one vehicle that got worse each damn game. Sad too.

Yes, I sure do miss being able to sit in one place like a sitting duck instead of being able to dodge attacks.

It definitely doesn't feel as good in Reach as it did in Halo 3 though, for whatever reason.

GhaleonEB

God how I miss the hover. The banshee is one vehicle that got worse each damn game. Sad too.

The Banshee from ODST made me realize how awesome it would be if vehicles and weapons were tweaked between Campaign and MP. Without having to worry about MP balance, ODST had the maneuverability from Halo and the hover from the first game. I'd love to have that back.

Yes, I sure do miss being able to sit in one place like a sitting duck instead of being able to dodge attacks.

Setting up camp waaaay up high over the bridges on AotCR and Two Betrayals and bombing the crap out of everyone is so great.

ElRenoRaven

The Banshee from ODST made me realize how awesome it would be if vehicles and weapons were tweaked between Campaign and MP. Without having to worry about MP balance, ODST had the maneuverability from Halo and the hover from the first game. I'd love to have that back.

Setting up camp waaaay up high over the bridges on AotCR and Two Betrayals and bombing the crap out of everyone is so great.

I think that would improve the series a ton. You could balance weapons and vehicles separately based off both and have a better playing Singleplayer and multiplayer for it. And yup. It was so handy when cleaning out a ton of enemies in a spot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I finished this. I forgot I don't very much like the back half of this game. After Assault on the Control Room I think it kinda sucks, actually. Backtracking, copypasta, flood nightmares. Yuck.

I think that would improve the series a ton. You could balance weapons and vehicles separately based off both and have a better playing Singleplayer and multiplayer for it. And yup. It was so handy when cleaning out a ton of enemies in a spot.

Drives me nuts too. They did this with the hornet in 3 right?

Striker

The Banshee has gotten progressively worse, while the Ghost is much better in the boost and great maneuverability fashion.

If they would remove the awful stun and lock-in crap from boarding vehicle combat as a whole would drastically improve.

Ramirez

The Banshee has gotten progressively worse, while the Ghost is much better in the boost and great maneuverability fashion.

If they would remove the awful stun and lock-in crap from boarding vehicle combat as a whole would drastically improve.

Maybe give it some guns that can kill in less than 10 seconds would be great too. It's basically a battering ram for infantry as it is now.

Striker

Maybe give it some guns that can kill in less than 10 seconds would be great too. It's basically a battering ram for infantry as it is now.
The plasma cannons worked great in CE, both for Banshee and Ghost. They need to go back to the Banshee being plasma cannon-only firing, and remove the fuel rod bomb which was never needed in the first place.

Wow.

Was there really no boost or roll mechanism for the Banshee in the original CE?

This thing handles like a drunk walrus.

I love the Boost feature on the Ghost, but I want the Banshee to go back to the Halo 1 Banshee. Which controlled great without having the manoeuvres on a button. I really dislike the Banshee Halo 2 onwards which just didnt feel as fun as the H1 Banshee.

Ken

The plasma cannons worked great in CE, both for Banshee and Ghost. They need to go back to the Banshee being plasma cannon-only firing, and remove the fuel rod bomb which was never needed in the first place.

The Ghost was great because it had a stun effect on its cannons and the damage wasn't terrible. Once you started getting hit by one, you knew you were pretty much dead. Now, the Ghost is nothing but an ineffective splattering tool and a minor annoyance when its cannons are actually being used.

blamite

Speaking of the Banshee, Playing Halo 3 the other day reminded me how much it's changed from 3 to Reach. For Halo 4/5/6/whatever, assuming the Banshee is still around? Which version would you guys like to see? Halo 2/3 slow barrel rolls and flips, of the super fast Reach version?

Striker

It wasn't necessarily fast maneuvers in 2/3. Also difference between those two is the awkward, annoying angle they put in for 3's Banshee and the unnecessary fuel rod bomb.

I liked nothing they did to the Reach version, so none of that, please.

Wow never experienced anything like that. Pauses briefly whenever you pass a checkpoint but no different to any other Halo game for me.

Happens multiple times a level, easily up in the 20 times a level. It seems to be related to the enemies somehow because if you kill one it will speed back up to normal.

Ecrofirt

Happens multiple times a level, easily up in the 20 times a level. It seems to be related to the enemies somehow because if you kill one it will speed back up to normal.

I'm on a launch Xbox with a 20GB hard drive, and I didn't have anything like that at all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I played about three hours of co-op campaign with my buddy in Japan last night. Ran almost flawlessly. The frame rate would drop whenever the flood rushed us on Two Betrayals, but other than that, it was fantastic. We had a blast. It's amazing how well this game holds up, and ogling at the new graphics, terminals, and skulls just makes it even better. Oh, and bumper jumper. <3

Also: Reach Banshee ruins BTB. Headlong is a fucking nightmare because of it.

Petrichor

It definitely doesn't feel as good in Reach as it did in Halo 3 though, for whatever reason.

Halo 2's banshee handled the best. Halo 3's was horrible IIRC as it limited downward movement.

Getting close to finishing Glasslands. Been a great read so far. Also ordered the second book in the Forerunner trilogy from Amazon last night. It's on sale for $17 right now. Pre-order of course.

FyreWulff

Halo 2's banshee handled the best. Halo 3's was horrible IIRC as it limited downward movement.

That was to balance the banshee bomb, which the Halo 2 banshee did not have in multiplayer. The banshee behaved more like a plane / how the AI used it in campaign than any other game.

Then you look at Reach and find out why taking the angle limiter out was a bad idea.

Flipyap

A Flood popcorn popped on my face while I was analyzing, knocked me out of the mode, resulting in glow-in-the-dark Halo 3 Elites.

MP19Yl.jpg
BMal2l.jpg

Pretty cool!

tsDqc.png

Yeah I think that's what my friend experiences when I host a co-op game.

Pretty bad. Not ALL the time, but sometimes. He'll tell me he's lagging pretty bad to the point it's basically unplayable, so I imagine something like what you just posted.

Well I played again tonight with both of us playing the game from the disc instead of install. Managed the whole session without issue so I guess it was related to the install. Is that something that is known or can the install just mess up sometimes?

Striker

It would've been overpowered without it. It was the right move.
What was overpowered about it? Oh, adding the fuel rod bomb. Of course.

It was never needed for MP. Remove the awful camera angle that deters any downward sights, and have it simply fire from its plasma cannon. Ship it.

What was overpowered about it? Oh, adding the fuel rod bomb. Of course.

It was never needed for MP. Remove the awful camera angle that deters any downward sights, and have it simply fire from its plasma cannon. Ship it.

You cannot say the fuel-rod gun in H3 was overpowered if there was something put in place to balance it. What you're describing is an unnecessary addition. Which I actually agree with. But was it a problem? No.

Chill out, man.

Sniper rifle -> Headshot the one elite who is scripted to hop in the Banshee -> Take your time picking off the rest of the enemies

Speaking of the Sniper Rifle, does anybody else have no rumble when firing it? It feels like I'm shooting peas at people.

I can't recall it having no rumble in Halo CE, I always felt like a god when using it. It's the only Halo game in which I'm pretty good at sniping, but that went out of the drain when CEA came out, too. :lol

GhaleonEB

I played through Truth and Reconciliation on co-op Legendary over the weekend (yeah, I'm only that far into it. SKYRIM).

Couple quick thoughts.

First, the gameplay has aged very little. The AI is still pretty sharp and often surprising, the level design is still fantastic, there are still too many waves of dudes dropped off from the gravity lift, etc. The new weapon effects are largely fantastic, and do add a great deal to the feedback loop. I largely enjoyed the visual update, gonig back to the classic mode was often jaw-dropping, and I think the tweaked cinematics are largely for the better.

Against this, some small but important problems with the new visuals. One of Bungie's underlying combat principles is one of clarity. I've ranted at length about this before, but it's a principle that dictates key information is well telegraphed to the player. Things like grass and bushes so tall that we can't see straight (I spawned in a shrub on the cliffside once, couldn't see where I was, and walked right off the cliff) and insufficent feedback when Elites shields popped indicated Saber didn't quite grasp that.

They are also averse to darkness, which is unfortunate. The outdoor section was so bright, it almost didn't even feel like a night time level. I had this same observation in the second level ("Halo"), during the underground section. I was doing some exploring around the edges of that area (lookin' for skulls), and the place was well lit and wonderfully detailed. I toggled to classic mode and found I was in total darkness - and had to turn on my flashlight to see. The darkness was almost oppressive, with mysterious structures emerging from it, disappearing into the depths and distance. There are some places where I preferred the old art to the new, but that's going to be the case with anything but the most slavish updates. Overall, the new visuals are pretty great, but much of the mood has been lost along the way. (Similar to what was lost with the lack of sun-behind-the-tree effect in the second level.)

But you know what? I played Halo on Legendary co-op online with a friend. And it was very, very fun. The fact that I could even do that is enough to make me pretty happy about the package. The new visuals are mostly quite welcome, and the game is as fun as it ever was.

Please 343 - make Halo 4's base player traits hew much more closely to Halo 1/2/3 than Reach. I'll post more about this later on, but that was one of my big take aways from the romp. If you took Reach's player weight, momentum and jump and applied it to Halo 1, the quality of the experience would drop straight through the floor. It was so wonderful to be agile again. Not just because it's fun to be, but because the game design is better for it.

I played through Truth and Reconciliation on co-op Legendary over the weekend (yeah, I'm only that far into it. SKYRIM).

Couple quick thoughts.

First, the gameplay has aged very little. The AI is still pretty sharp and often surprising, the level design is still fantastic, there are still too many waves of dudes dropped off from the gravity lift, etc. The new weapon effects are largely fantastic, and do add a great deal to the feedback loop. I largely enjoyed the visual update, gonig back to the classic mode was often jaw-dropping, and I think the tweaked cinematics are largely for the better.

Against this, some small but important problems with the new visuals. One of Bungie's underlying combat principles is one of clarity. I've ranted at length about this before, but it's a principle that dictates key information is well telegraphed to the player. Things like grass and bushes so tall that we can't see straight (I spawned in a shrub on the cliffside once, couldn't see where I was, and walked right off the cliff) and insufficent feedback when Elites shields popped indicated Saber didn't quite grasp that.

They are also averse to darkness, which is unfortunate. The outdoor section was so bright, it almost didn't even feel like a night time level. I had this same observation in the second level ("Halo"), during the underground section. I was doing some exploring around the edges of that area (lookin' for skulls), and the place was well lit and wonderfully detailed. I toggled to classic mode and found I was in total darkness - and had to turn on my flashlight to see. The darkness was almost oppressive, with mysterious structures emerging from it, disappearing into the depths and distance. There are some places where I preferred the old art to the new, but that's going to be the case with anything but the most slavish updates. Overall, the new visuals are pretty great, but much of the mood has been lost along the way. (Similar to what was lost with the lack of sun-behind-the-tree effect in the second level.)

But you know what? I played Halo on Legendary co-op online with a friend. And it was very, very fun. The fact that I could even do that is enough to make me pretty happy about the package. The new visuals are mostly quite welcome, and the game is as fun as it ever was.

Please 343 - make Halo 4's base player traits hew much more closely to Halo 1/2/3 than Reach. I'll post more about this later on, but that was one of my big take aways from the romp. If you took Reach's player weight, momentum and jump and applied it to Halo 1, the quality of the experience would drop straight through the floor. I was so wonderful to be agile again. Not just because it's fun to be, but because the game design is better for it.
As usual, well said. Clarity is a great word for what's missing when one is too far away from elites to receive any shield feedback information.

Striker

You cannot say the fuel-rod gun in H3 was overpowered if there was something put in place to balance it. What you're describing is an unnecessary addition. Which I actually agree with. But was it a problem? No.

Chill out, man.
I never get upset replying to you. That's what makes it all good.

What's not overpowered about a huge splash sent from something that is capable of evading and maneuvering everything in sight? Only thing keeping it in check is the Laser. You notice the two levels featuring the Banshee in Halo 3 MM had at the very least one Spartan Laser on the map. Without it you will look at every game featuring teams hoarding the Banshee and little to no way to take down a skilled pilot.

Please 343 - make Halo 4's base player traits hew much more closely to Halo 1/2/3 than Reach.
I agree partially, though of course those three are also quite different in many ways. One is turtle slow with a high, floaty jump. Another is faster, but has a jump that essentially glides. The last one is a bit of a mix between those two, and basically is less offensive in gameplay.

I never get upset replying to you. That's what makes it all good.

What's not overpowered about a huge splash sent from something that is capable of evading and maneuvering everything in sight? Only thing keeping it in check is the Laser. You notice the two levels featuring the Banshee in Halo 3 MM had at the very least one Spartan Laser on the map. Without it you will look at every game featuring teams hoarding the Banshee and little to no way to take down a skilled pilot.

Because the Banshee was never a problem to take out. A "huge splash" that wasn't fatal all the time because of the ability to jump high and move faster (compared to Reach). Because of the angle limiter, the pilot, in order to kill, has to come at an opponent from a reliably straight line, opening up for numerous ways to kill him. Energy drainer, plasma pistol, sticky grenades, missile launcher, rockets – far more than just the laser.

Besides, without the angle limiter, the Banshee was more maneuverable in Halo 2 than it was in Halo 3. Less ways to take it out, and it was able to dominate a lot easier.

GhaleonEB

I agree partially, though of course those three are also quite different in many ways. One is turtle slow with a high, floaty jump. Another is faster, but has a jump that essentially glides. The last one is a bit of a mix between those two, and basically is less offensive in gameplay.

I was referring specifically to the player momentum/inertia added to Reach, which mitigate strafing and slows our ability to change direction. The trilogy showed there is a pretty wide spectrum other traits can be fiddled with and have it work, depending on the requirements of the game. But that one in particular really mucks up gameplay, particularly in the close quarters/indoors sections.

Striker

I can agree with that. A lot of their base settings will depend on what they do with things like loadouts, pick ups, or whatever. I've said time and time before I really wish they go back to the straight classic pick ups in OS/Ins, while also try to become creative and add more if need be (just not splashing more on the map, but for appropriate ones if necessary).

GhaleonEB

I can agree with that. A lot of their base settings will depend on what they do with things like loadouts, pick ups, or whatever. I've said time and time before I really wish they go back to the straight classic pick ups in OS/Ins, while also try to become creative and add more if need be (just not splashing more on the map, but for appropriate ones if necessary).

I've been thinking about this a lot as well. I think Reach's big mistake was making all of the abilities reusable armor abilities. Some things work better as a pick up (camo), some as a one-time use item (bubble shield/power drain\trip mine), some as a player ability (sprint). Reach shoehorns all of those into one bucket of unlimited reuse, and it just doesn't work.

Thing is, I like some of all three categories. I loved power drains and trip mines from Halo 3, the classic pick ups, the sprint ability. I'm okay with all three being available - just deployed correctly.

I was thinking about how Reach could have handled abilities better. I wish we had the following options in the custom game settings when configuring abilities (perhaps as Forge properties for each piece):

For each armor ability, set the following options:

Activate on pick up: On/Off

Uses: 1 - unlimited​

Then we'd be able to make camo a one-time use item that activated on pick up, drop shield used once, and sprint work as it does now.

Which of course risks over complicating things. I think there's merit to the idea of going back to something more pure and simple, but I suspect additional abilities are not going away (as with the jetpack in the Halo 4 announce trailer). Whatever direction 343 goes in, I hope they don't try to cram all different kinds of abilities into one bucket. DIfferent things have different uses, and they should have the flexibility to slot them accordingly. (And ideally, extend that funtionality to us as well.)

GhaleonEB

343 were pretty up front in not calling the Halo 4 "thrusters" a jet pack. Different functionality completely. =)

Hope they toss Armour Lock out the air...lock.

Same concept applies to my thoughts on its use. The nits you pick, sir. :p

And that is good to hear, I'll take thrusters over the jetpack any day. I picture the funtionality working more like the ones the Brutes used in Halo 3, and how the ODSTs used them on Exodus. Burst/jump aid, not something used to hover.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Same concept applies to my thoughts on its use. The nits you pick, sir. :p

And that is good to hear, I'll take thrusters over the jetpack any day. I picture the funtionality working more like the ones the Brutes used in Halo 3, and how the ODSTs used them on Exodus. Burst/jump aid, not something used to hover.

It might be terrible or whatever but I'd love to see how a double jump, via thrusters maybe, would work in Halo. DJing made the platforming in the Metroid Prime series really fun so there's a good FPS precedent.

Just a thought fart. A one time "boost" in momentum in a single direction, even if a one time use or with a long cool down, would definitely impact the average firefight though. Maybe it wouldn't even feel like Halo.

It might be terrible or whatever but I'd love to see how a double jump, via thrusters maybe, would work in Halo. DJing made the platforming in the Metroid Prime series really fun so there's a good FPS precedent.

Just a thought fart. A one time "boost" in momentum in a single direction, even if a one time use or with a long cool down, would definitely impact the average firefight though. Maybe it wouldn't even feel like Halo.

I don't see why people worry about HALO 4 not feeling too HALO just because there are going to be new gameplay mechanics.

There will always be the great Multiplayer options that allow you to create the "classic" feel of HALO like Reach has done but also having modes that play unique and take advantage of the new features in the new game.

I would love for 343 Industries to go out all crazy on the sp for a more entertaining experience. And then for multiplayer they can just give us the options to play it in a classic setting or in new modes with the new experience.

Ramirez

I know there's no chance of it happening, but Halo meets Metroid Prime would be amazing for the campaign. Keep MP traditional, but completely flip the SP on its head.

Top Bottom