• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Combat Evolved, Watch Dogs and Manhunt look great with Reshade Ray Tracing

CyberPanda

Banned
YouTube’s members ‘Digital Dreams’ and ‘EiermannTelevision’ has shared some videos, showing Halo: Combat Evolved, the first Watch Dogs game and Manhunt with Reshade Ray Tracing. These videos are using the alpha version of Pascal Gilcher’s Reshade mode; a mod that adds cool ray tracing/path tracing effects to pretty much all DX9, DX10 and DX11 games.

Now as we’ve said and before, this Reshade ray tracing/path tracing is not as accurate or great as DXR or what most modern-day games will be using. Due to the way Reshade works, this mod only uses depth information available in screen space in order to provide these “path tracing” effects. This can result in graphical glitches or shadow pop-ins when the camera pans out that have not been fixed yet.

Still, the good news here is that this Reshade mod actually benefits these three games as they’ve been using a really old lighting system (well, with the exception of Watch_Dogs). Halo: Combat Evolved has new shiny surfaces and lighting bounce all over the place, something that greatly improves the game’s visuals. The game still uses the old assets but we can safely say that it looks better than ever on the PC thanks to these Ray Tracing effects.

Surprisingly enough, Watch_Dogs also benefits from this Reshade Ray Tracing/Path Tracing mod. Watch_Dogs uses a lighting system that supports a real-time day/night cycle, so we weren’t expecting much. However, the game uses a lot of light sources (that obviously do not bounce on different surfaces) and the visual improvement can be easily noticed at times. Not only that, but thanks to the E3 mod Watch_Dogs can finally come really close to what Ubisoft showcased back in E3 2012 (though there is still not way to get those gorgeous explosions).

Last but not least, Manhunt is a mixed bag. While the game does not look as flat as its vanilla version, it looks way more dark-ish than before. This is mainly due to the lack of various light sources throughout the game’s level/levels. Still, it’s a cool concept that may interest some of you.

Since it's called the "Pascal Glitcher" does that mean it runs well on Pascal GPUs?

Does it even use RT cores?
It doesn’t, I think it’s just named that way for people to make the connection that it’s ray traced stuff since RT and RTX are used interchangeably right now.

Also, Pascal Glicher is the creator’s name, his username is “Marty McFly”

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Something is off. 2mins 38 of the halo vid, I see the view weapon reflect in the ceiling reflection. This happens with screen space reflections. Not sure.

Something is off. 2mins 38 of the halo vid, I see the view weapon reflect in the ceiling reflection. This happens with screen space reflections. Not sure.
The reflections are screen space (and are a separate shader to the RT stuff, not sure why the vids imply it’s part of it), but the AO and GI are path/Ray traced.

Ray tracing looks good, but it made the CE matchmaking levels a little too reflective imo. That is probably an easy fix though if you're going to redo the game anyway.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Adding ray tracing to every game will be the next remake gold rush in next gen won’t it?

“Buy the game again, now in HD with ray Tracing!”
i won't even be mad. ray tracing is that good.

but i guess it depends how well next gen can handle it. the only PC gpus that can do it right now don't exactly have great performance and are very expensive. i imagine consoles will be using very little raytracing. some puddles here and there and that's it.

Last edited:

Ascend

Not really impressed with Watch Dogs. The Halo one is good though, although not accurate in certain places. It can't be so dark when there's a fire, like at 7:17 in the video.

In before "can't see the difference".

I can't wait for the next onslaught of patches and remakes.

I've been playing Quake RTX on my (poor) Titan X and it's glorious, even at 720p/30fps.

thief183

Did they use some tricks to make it look like raytracing or it is actually raytracing?

I'm asking cause in some scenes it looks like the light color tend to influence items that shouldn't be influenced (or at least not so much)

Edit: I just watched the Halo one, well yes it works like raytracing... now I wander why if it was so "simple" nobody added it to reshade before....

Last edited:
Did they use some tricks to make it look like raytracing or it is actually raytracing?

I'm asking cause in some scenes it looks like the light color tend to influence items that shouldn't be influenced (or at least not so much)

Edit: I just watched the Halo one, well yes it works like raytracing... now I wander why if it was so "simple" nobody added it to reshade before....

I believe it's path tracing, which is essentially the same thing but in reverse (IIRC, ray tracing calculates every single ray emitted from light sources until they hit the camera, whereas path tracing calculates backwards, working out what the camera can see and projecting from that).

I think the reason we haven't seen it yet is probably down to two things:
1) Performance - although it doesn't use Nvidia RTX features, it's still an expensive graphical effect that probably wasn't feasible until recently.
2) Hype - RTX being a thing seems to have revitalised the interest in ray tracing, so many people are trying to cash in on that now.

thief183

I believe it's path tracing, which is essentially the same thing but in reverse (IIRC, ray tracing calculates every single ray emitted from light sources until they hit the camera, whereas path tracing calculates backwards, working out what the camera can see and projecting from that).

I think the reason we haven't seen it yet is probably down to two things:
1) Performance - although it doesn't use Nvidia RTX features, it's still an expensive graphical effect that probably wasn't feasible until recently.
2) Hype - RTX being a thing seems to have revitalised the interest in ray tracing, so many people are trying to cash in on that now.

Path tracing would explain it, the Idea is that it looks to me that the light affect only fraction of the screen and not the geometry itself, dunno if I explained myself.... Btw thanks for the answers :))

CyberPanda

Banned
I didn't want to make a new thread.

Alien Isolation, Bioshock Remastered, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood & more with Reshade Ray Tracing

YouTube’s ‘Zetman’ has shared some videos, showing Alien Isolation, Bioshock Remastered, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, Nier Automata and Dragon Age Origins with Pascal Gilcher’s Reshade that adds real-time ray tracing/path tracing effects via a post-processing solution to older games.

We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again; this ray tracing/path tracing solution is not as accurate as what can be achieved with DXR. Still, this is a great way to overhaul the visuals of really old games.

With this out of the way, let’s start with the first game we’ve featured in this article, Alien Isolation. Alien Isolation is set in a claustrophobic environment and benefits greatly from this Reshade. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; we really need to see Doom 3 with this Reshade. And if Alien Isolation is any indication, Doom 3 will most likely look incredible.

Bioshock Remastered also looks better with the newly introduced ray tracing/path tracing effects that this Reshade mod introduces. Unfortunately, Zetman may have used some incorrect settings here as there is a lot of noise when moving around. In pretty much all other videos we’ve featured based on this Reshade mod, there wasn’t any noise side-effects so there should be an option there that can de-noise the image.

Last but not least, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, Nier Automata and Dragon Age Origins look noticeably better with this Reshade mod. Seriously, these ray tracing/path tracing effects can bring new life to older titles that have mediocre or an outdated lighting system.

Do note that Zetman was also using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060; a GPU that is not powerful enough for ray tracing/path tracing effects. More powerful GPUs can definitely play these games smoother.

Top Bottom