• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Developer Critizes Jason Scheier for Leaking GTA 6 Announcement "I feel sorry for the people at Rockstar"

Draugoth

Gold Member
eg2fMTRpAhnyG7EJjQEHWM-970-80.jpg.webp

A developer for Halo has shared their frustration following the GTA 6 trailer leak, telling fellow devs to "please just let cool moments be cool moments."

Earlier today on November 8, a report went live that suggested GTA 6 could be announced "as early as this week," with a trailer next month. Just a few hours later, Rockstar confirmed the report and told fans to expect the first GTA 6 trailer in December. Although an exciting few hours for GTA fans, this turn of events doesn't sit quite right with John Junyszek, Halo's community manager at 343 Industries.

Quoting the original report, Junyszek points out that the leak came from people who "weren’t authorized to speak publicly" about the upcoming project, before telling others: "Don't be this person." Speaking from the perspective of a developer, Junyszek writes: "If you're ever fortunate enough to work on a game that millions of people care about - don't be this person."

"The people, who asked to not be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly," decided to undermine multiple years of hard work by their colleagues.If you're ever fortunate enough to work on a game that millions of people care about - don't be this person.…

"Imagine: You and your teammates have been dreaming of this moment since day one. Now that it's almost ready, entire teams have started planning to turn that reveal into something truly memorable for the fans, the studio, and the gaming community as a whole," the tweet continues, "then, right before the announcement, someone takes it upon themselves to undermine it all - robbing millions of fans (and the team you've been in the trenches with) of the reveal that they deserve."
"Rather than being a spectacular surprise - you are now an expectation. All because of one person. Don't be that person." Before telling fellow game developers and leakers to "please just let cool moments be cool moments."

Punished Miku

Gold Member
100% agree in principle. I think if the reporting isn't going to be like months or years ahead like an actual scoop, you're just putting out marketing but far worse.

Where I disagree is in the specific case of GTA. It was a shit announcement of an announcement with a vague letter. It was really no different than Schreir. There was nothing spectacular about it. But if this is a trailer dropping, or a new title being announced as part of a showcase or something that people can actually see and enjoy, then yes it can absolutely be spoiled. Many fantastic announcements get spoiled in this exact way. People read a shit tweet, feel nothing. Then they watch a press conference with a sick trailer and feel nothing. Then they wonder why they feel nothing for gaming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Eh. hes just doing his job.

he leaked a tweet. big deal.

He actually knows a lot of stuff and has talked about not leaking it to the public because it makes no sense to do so. A GTA announcement is just an announcement. its not like he leaked plot details or something. Sports writers report on trades before they happen. Hollywood reporters report on movies before the are greenlit. this is the same.

Now if he leaked the trailer then sure. thats a bitch move.

Last edited:
Eh. hes just doing his job.

he leaked a tweet. big deal.

He actually knows a lot of stuff and has talked about not leaking it to the public because it makes no sense to do so. A GTA announcement is just an announcement. its not like he leaked plot details or something. Sports writers report on trades before they happen. Hollywood reporters report on movies before the are greenlit. this is the same.

Now if he leaked the trailer then sure. thats a bitch move.
Nah. It's lame as fuck. If your job is to steal the thunder from people doing the work, your job is garbage.

Last edited:
Nah. It's lame as fuck. If your job is to steal the thunder from people doing the work, your job is garbage.
This is a very odd take. His job is to take action on things that are newsworthy. Nothing is more newsworthy than the next Grand theft auto game. It’s not a game journalist's job to save special announcements because the dev team “deserves a formal reveal” according to their own internal marketing plans. Or whatever misplaced attachment you have to a giant corporation. The only person that should care about that are people that work within rockstar, not you or anyone else.

And every single time I see people complain about Jason Schreier, or someone else in the media, 99% of the time it’s due to a lack of understanding of what a journalist’s job actually is. Which is not to carry water for a large corporation and not run a very newsworthy story.

I guarantee basically everyone on this thread and elsewhere would be all for a big scoop/leak of the next Zelda game, if it got leaked and someone in the media found the source and got their hands on it. No one would be sitting here angrily typing about how gosh "I really wish we didn't know about the existence of the new Zelda for 3 more months until the next scheduled Nintendo Direct".

Last edited:

Tsaki

His news were really unnecessary. If he had done that like 2 months ago to inform the audience the timeline for GTA, then ok. But on the day of the announcement? The only purpose it had was to say "Look! Someone told me that. I knew it already! Am I not cool or what?"

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Chuck Grassley Leaks GIF by GIPHY News

Welcome to 2023, it happens....right or wrong, it's how it is. Maybe focus instead on making the Halo franchise worth a piss again.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
His news were really unnecessary. If he had done that like 2 months ago to inform the audience the timeline for GTA, then ok. But on the day of the announcement? The only purpose it had was to say "Look! Someone told me that. I knew it already! Am I not cool or what?"
Yeah, it takes a little nuance.

If you get a scoop 6 months out or something, sure. Newsworthy. If you get a scoop of something for tomorrow, just shut up.

Second, if you have a scoop for something planned as part of a showcase in a week, where the whole process of unveiling it with a trailer is part of the entertainment itself, do not report this. You might as well just report plot points to games. Showcases are entertainment.

it was a tweet.

And Only this little bubble cares about JAsOn!.

The 99% of the gaming population doesn't even know what a JaSon Schenienr is whatever

Lupin25

It’s not Jason’s job to ensure that info is kept under wraps, that’s Rockstar’s.
Either way, fans don’t care they just want something from GTA 6.

With that said, still a cunt move by Jason to beat them to the punch and foil the surprise.

StueyDuck

I mean he ruined a tweet hahaha

But it's always hilarious to see ol baby boy cry face take one instead of give it

gothmog

Gold Member
People have been talking about an impending announcement for months, so obviously people had been talking about it off the record. I don't really get it. I'm not going to like pre order 10 copies it if it was a complete surprise. It has been on my radar and will continue to be on my radar until it releases.

NickFire

Criticism of leakers is understandable. Criticism of the journalist is misplaced. First and foremost its the journalists job to report news and the gaming industry is firmly entrenched in the public sphere. Second, the gaming industry gets increased sales because of coverage, and you take the good and bad together. Third, the devs / pubs have no right to dictate what the coverage of them should be limited to except when they pay for ads.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why are videogame devs on twitter so annoying, entitled, and whiny? Nobody's work was undermined. It was a damn tweet. It wasn't like the video was leaked. I bet 98% of people saw the tweet before they saw this article lol.

On the other hand, Schreier acts like he is exposing the teapot dome scandal, it's just a videogame.

Last edited:
Such a silly take from so many people on here. Having a well-sourced scoop that says the sequel to the biggest gaming IP on the planet is being revealed soon is exactly worthy of being considered breaking news. Why on earth would someone in the media sit on a scoop of the biggest reveal of the year?

Last edited:
Who really gives a shit? It's the most obvious thing of "We all knew it was coming" and most of us thought it would be pretty damn soon all things considered. I just don't consider it a big deal, or a surprise.

NickFire

Jason, if you're reading this, how about doing a deep dive investigation to find out why RDR2 doesn't have 60 FPS on PS5. Please and thank you.

This is a nothing article featuring a nothing tweet that won't matter come December. Trying to put the blame on anyone except for the guy who legitimately leaked assets and footage just means you have a personal problem with the person you're pointing a finger at. It doesn't matter though because no one will even remember this moment by next month.

a84db60597b4187dfb83a2274d6a553f45526296.gif

Flutta

Banned
Eh he didn’t ”steal” any thunder let’s be real. I don’t like the dude just as much as the next guy, but this is reaching. Go look at the view count for their announcement tweet and tell me again how their thunder was stolen.

Never seen a game announcement get that much views before i mean DAAAMN!!!

Hudo

The people at Rockstar will have had 10+ fucking year to work on one of the biggest IPs in the world with multiple studios. I only feel embarrassed for them that it has taken so fucking long. Sounds like a project management clusterfuck.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So, someone who was not involved on the situation at all decided to talk like he was. It's not like company never make controlled leaks to gague interest, so how could we know it's not that?

Also, those same companies "hurt" by those "leaks" will have no problem firing all those devs on a whim as a cost saving measure to raise stock prices. Companies don't need "protection".

TVexperto

Schreier has also been criticized for his biased reporting. He is often more interested in reporting on negative stories about the video game industry than he is in reporting on positive stories. This is evident in his coverage of companies like Telltale Games and Blizzard Entertainment, which have been plagued by scandals in recent years.

While Schreier may be a good writer, his journalism is often lacking in rigor. He relies too heavily on anonymous sources and is quick to believe negative rumors and gossip. This makes it difficult to trust his reporting, even when he is breaking big stories.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't blame the journalist, I blame the person leaking the info. You know they're getting fired if they get caught.

MarkMe2525

I don't blame the journalist, I blame the person leaking the info. You know they're getting fired if they get caught.
The journalist is also culpable. He was not compelled in any manner to release the info, he had to get his clout. That's the world we live on though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The journalist is also culpable. He was not compelled in any manner to release the info, he had to get his clout. That's the world we live on though.
lol it is literally his job. it is the biggest high profile game, maybe ever, of course he is going to try to get info on this.

You have to consider the reverse - and what you and the 343 dev is advocating for - which is that people should just slavishly go by the edicts and desires of these major corporations. Well, that won't do either.

lol it is literally his job. it is the biggest high profile game, maybe ever, of course he is going to try to get info on this.

You have to consider the reverse - and what you and the 343 dev is advocating for - which is that people should just slavishly go by the edicts and desires of these major corporations. Well, that won't do either.
Absolutely spot on.

My hype for GTA6 is still the same, can't wait to see the trailer and what they can pull off with these next gen systems! I know it sucks having a 10+ year gap between GTA5 and GTA6, but Rockstar has yet to let me down, I know the game is going to be amazing!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah. The scum like schrier and others always try to steal the spotlight.
No announcement, no show, no teaser. nothing can be a surprise anymore. nothing can be uninterrupted marketing plan

I agree. Jason Scheier it's a fucking douchebag. But I'm 100% that his "leaks" is on purpose... reads: in line with Rockstar/TakeTwo marketing. In other words, it was on purpose, it always is.

MarkMe2525

His job is to not diminish others work, and to put people who have done no wrong through anguish. He is a journalistist, he could have wrote as much as he wanted about GTA6 and it's pending launch after it was announced.

Edit: if his job is to indeed behave like a pos, then I don't see the need to defend him

Last edited:
Top Bottom