• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Developer Critizes Jason Scheier for Leaking GTA 6 Announcement "I feel sorry for the people at Rockstar"

The people at Rockstar will have had 10+ fucking year to work on one of the biggest IPs in the world with multiple studios. I only feel embarrassed for them that it has taken so fucking long. Sounds like a project management clusterfuck.

Corpo mentality - Nah, GTAV/online has been so successful why release GTA6 when it may "miss" or perform worse.

Gamer mentality - fuck these yearly franchise releases but GTA6 being a decade is total bullshit. Riot.

What are they talking about? Shares skyrocketed in anticipation of the announcement.
And would also have if the trailer could have been dropped in the way they wanted to, later. Maybe even more, because an announcement of a not really surprising development isn't really special at all, just generates clicks on sorta empty news and floats up all those GTA VI rumor videos on youtube, while an actual trailer should get people much more excited. It is not impossible that it did actually hinder an even higher later share price. Especially shares are after all based very much on fantasy, excitement and belief.

Whistleblowing about something that is tried to be hidden, sometimes for good reason in the case of national security, is one thing, maybe canceling someone without due process and often creating fake drama because of one or a few disgruntled ex employees talking smack, is then certainly terrible, if not true at all, but those clout chaser are just obnoxious- leaking Plus content a day or two early and other stupid stuff. Sure, it does not really really hurt anyone, and while i would presume marketing people to be among the most overpayed portion in the whole game dev crew, their job is do not just drop it without some manufactured fanfare that was probably very much still under construction here.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Eh. hes just doing his job.

he leaked a tweet. big deal.

He actually knows a lot of stuff and has talked about not leaking it to the public because it makes no sense to do so. A GTA announcement is just an announcement. its not like he leaked plot details or something. Sports writers report on trades before they happen. Hollywood reporters report on movies before the are greenlit. this is the same.

Now if he leaked the trailer then sure. thats a bitch move.
How is that his job? Leaking when consumer products are announced is not something a journalist needs to have a scoop for. Not if it’s simply ruining marketing for a couple of days of e-pen clout. It’s non news. Not journalism.

This industry is a bunch of whiny shiteaters. Gamers included.

Dont be stoopid. An announcement about a game known to be in development in no way undermines any of the hard work anyone has done related to the development of the game.

There's speculation in every industry.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How is that his job? Leaking when consumer products are announced is not something a journalist needs to have a scoop for. Not if it’s simply ruining marketing for a couple of days of e-pen clout. It’s non news. Not journalism.
If it was non news then no one in the industry would be covering it. Every single outlet including mainstream news agencies covered it because it IS news.

Especially when the sequel to the biggest game of all time is announced. It’s no different than saying Trump is planning to announce his presidential run before he officially announces it. No different than reporting a big block buster trade before the team can officially announce it.

This is not a spoiler lmao. The spoiler Generation is just too much.

Whitecrow

Banned
It's about respect, and integrity.
It's Rockstar game, and it's up to Rockstar how to make the announcments, and noone else.

Three

I mean he ruined a tweet hahaha

But it's always hilarious to see ol baby boy cry face take one instead of give it
The tweet was in response to the leak so he "ruined" the surprise announcement but yeah it's not that big a deal that it was leaked.

JaksGhost

Isn't he putting the blame on the developers (aka "sources") that leaked the information to Jason, and not Jason himself? Or am I interpreting this differently from every one else?

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Dopey cunt should have said to Rockstar that he knew and would shut the fuck up for an interview that would release around the date of the trailer. That's just me though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nah, I get wanting to blindside gamers with a surprise announcement of something cool you’ve been working on.

Look at the Steam Deck OLED blindside yesterday. No one saw that coming, but had it been leaked, it would’ve made the announcement pedestrian.

Jason could’ve just kept it all to himself, but nah. Selfish clicks or retweets or whatever for himself are what matters most.

If Jason didn't do it, someone else would, it is the nature of video game journalism. First one to get the scoop is always the one who gets the most traffic and subsequent revenue is boatloads. Our dude here is being overly dramatic. "Omg, somebody stole Rockstar's thunder before them, how will they ever recover from this?". He should instead put that effort in telling his team to focus on that half a billion dollar Frankenstein's mess they've put out, instead of playing the white knight and virtue signalling for a project & dev, he ain't even a part of, in an attempt to get brownie points.

Last edited:

kevm3

This industry is a bunch of whiny shiteaters. Gamers included.

Dont be stoopid. An announcement about a game known to be in development in no way undermines any of the hard work anyone has done related to the development of the game.

There's speculation in every industry.

Exactly. There hasn't been a trailer for this PERIOD despite all of the rumors over the years. People would simply have taken this as a possibly unsubstantiated rumor until developers like this Halo guy come out and kicked up dust. Prior to that, I thought, "Whatever, they haven't shown a trailer in forever. I don't know if I believe they'll be showing a trailer any time soon." All Rockstar has to keep on doing is just ignoring it like they have been, let the hype die down, don't show the trailer on the 'expected day', which was some time in December.. That would make people think it was a false rumor, and then shock the world by releasing it on New Years Day right after the countdown.

Rumors and leaks have LONG been part of the gaming industry, so why are all of these people crying?

What are they talking about? Shares skyrocketed in anticipation of the announcement.

Insider trading?

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Eh. hes just doing his job.

he leaked a tweet. big deal.

He actually knows a lot of stuff and has talked about not leaking it to the public because it makes no sense to do so. A GTA announcement is just an announcement. its not like he leaked plot details or something. Sports writers report on trades before they happen. Hollywood reporters report on movies before the are greenlit. this is the same.

Now if he leaked the trailer then sure. thats a bitch move.

Exactly! I think Jason actually helped GTA6 here. Now I'm expecting some hotness to drop. My anticipation is high!

Jimmy_liv

Yeah, it takes a little nuance.

If you get a scoop 6 months out or something, sure. Newsworthy. If you get a scoop of something for tomorrow, just shut up.

Second, if you have a scoop for something planned as part of a showcase in a week, where the whole process of unveiling it with a trailer is part of the entertainment itself, do not report this. You might as well just report plot points to games. Showcases are entertainment.
This.It essentially becomes a spoiler in this instance.

But that's Jason Scheier for you.
It's all about him.

Last edited:

LRKD

Idk if your years of hard work is undermined by someone saying there may be a trailer next month… you should probably just be in a different line of work.

MMaRsu

Banned
I have no sympathy for R*. As a GTA fan who couldn't care less about online multiplayer shit, I feel EXTREMELY abused and left out in the cold by what they did for the last 10 years, sucking GTAO dry instead of getting the next GTA out in a timely manner. There's good business and bad business, and from my POV their absolute focus on GTAO at the expense of the next "real" GTA game is bad business. There needs to be a balance between squeezing out every last penny you can and not shitting on your customers. People like me, solo/campaign fanboys who don't play online have been more starving for next-GTA info than anyone. R* should have thrown us a bone years ago. No sympathy about the big leak or Jason's report. Bringing back memories of how R* announced GTAV and then said NOTHING for an entire year, except for two shitty screen shots. Treat your fans better, you dumb dicks.

EDIT: And, spoiled what surprise? Aside from even a moron being able to deduce that R* has been working on GTAVI for a long time, it's existence was already 100% confirmed back when the huge alpha leak happened. So Jason spoiled the announcement of an already redundant announcement trailer that everyone knew we'd been getting sooner or later. Oh boo-hoo, what a tragedy for R* and for all of us, really. Gosh, I hope Jason doesn't eventually spoil the exact release date of the trailer.

Hahahaha as if Rockstar actually owes you something, getting mad a sequel isnt in their best interests for the past 10 years.

Be mad at gamers who keep their shitty online game profitable.

hyperbertha

Exactly what was leaked here? The existence of gta 6? Which was already spectacularly leaked gameplay videos in tow a year ago?

MonkD

I understand that a lot of leaks and spoilers can ruin some of the fun for the developers, but at this point it shouldn't come as surprise. It's basically industry standard at this point, and I'm assuming it's not reaching much further than people that actively seek them out.

In this particular case it feels like it doesn't matter at all. They leaked that a trailer would be coming in a month, and then Rockstar announced it with a boring ass tweet. GTA6 trailers are rumored to release every other day, feels more like a cry wolf situation than an announcement to hyped for.

Is the trailer supposed to be shown at the Dorito Pope awards?

If Jason has the info, you can't blame him. It's rockstar who need to make sure nothing leaks. Which leads to the question of how Jason schreier keeps getting these leaks? He seems to know alot of stuff before it actually happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom