• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Forge coming to Windows 10 later this year

krang

343i are releasing a free map editor for an Xbox One game on PC that utilises the more convenient inputs of the PC to place the components in the map and apply logic. A byproduct is the ability to evaluate your designs without having to switch between the PC and console.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This software, at least from my view, isn't meant for "PC customers"...it's for Halo 5 Forge players to make it easier for them to make maps, something they've been apparently been asking for, for years. It's to appease them, not straight forward PC gamers. That's the difference that I see. My comment about being happy about it is that the people that the software is meant for is happy with it and people be happy for them, instead we see more people wanting a port because they see tools. So your view of 'PC customers should just bend over for scraps' is flawed (from my view) because you aren't the customer.
It might also be easier for them to play the game on the PC. It's a little hypocritical for MS to play up how the XBox is becoming a unified, hardware agnostic platform and then still hold back on porting their flagship titles.

So is this thread going to start piling up with bodies?

Anyway, good news for Forge users. I am feeling a bit salty though, like I've just gone for a dip in the ocean.

I just find it weird they are going through the effort of basically making a release worthy product of a big part of the game (and I assume it will also have full PC options and etc) but not release the full game as well at some point.

I saw this but I don't know why you wouldn't announce the full game along with this. You figure this would be like a neat demo or something.

None of these really answer the question. I am just wondering why you would port and polish so much of the game (renderer, netcode, ai, and whatever else is involved in current day Forge, I do not honestly know - I don't own an Xbox One) to make a version of the game that will only inspire the question "why can't I buy and play the real game" when a PC gamer boots it up. Do tons of Xbox One users actually want this thing?

I fully understand porting Halo 5 is probably not trivial and was probably fully designed around only ever existing on one piece of hardware... so why make this thing? Why not just wait till Halo 6 comes out? Why release this?

I guess I just never really understand Microsoft's actions on PC. It seems like nowadays they want to bring most games over to promote the Microsoft Store but they seem to not want to go the full way for some reason. Why is Gears of War 4 not confirmed for PC? Are they going to awkwardly confirm it a couple months prior to release in a side comment from someone? Why is this weird version of Halo 5 being made for PC but not the actual game? Personally, I want to play Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 on my PC (as do a bunch of other people I talk to) - I don't want whatever this thing is. Maybe tons of other people do. I don't know.

Alx

I fully understand porting Halo 5 is probably not trivial and was probably fully designed around only ever existing on one piece of hardware... so why make this thing? Why not just wait till Halo 6 comes out? Why release this?

Probably because people who were using Forge on console asked for a version on PC, which is probably more comfortable for such tasks. Also porting an editor to another platform can be rather straightforward, you just have to make sure you translated all the original features. While for a game people wouldn't be satisfied with feature parity with consoles, just look at the reactions to Quantum Break on PC.

MysteryM

inspire the question "why can't I buy and play the real game" when a PC gamer boots it up. Do tons of Xbox One users actually want this thing?.

The reason you can't play the game on pc is likely not to be a technical reason but a business reason i.e. giving people an impetus to buy an xbox one. Just buy one if you really want to play - halo 5 is great.

I know people talk about porting the game to pc, but ultimately isn't the game written in VS2105\c# anyhow and then tuned to xbox one. I remember forza running at GDC 2014 as part of the direct x 12 showcase, and that was apparently converted in a four man month.

If I was into forge building I'd welcome a pc version to mess with

Trup1aya

I guess I just never really understand Microsoft's actions on PC. It seems like nowadays they want to bring most games over to promote the Microsoft Store but they seem to not want to go the full way for some reason. Why is Gears of War 4 not confirmed for PC? Are they going to awkwardly confirm it a couple months prior to release in a side comment from someone? Why is this weird version of Halo 5 being made for PC but not the actual game? Personally, I want to play Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 on my PC (as do a bunch of other people I talk to) - I don't want whatever this thing is. Maybe tons of other people do. I don't know.

I keep hearing this type of comment and it just doesn't make sense to me. MS is releasing a lot of games on PC lately... Full stop. Gears:UE, Killer Instict, Ori:DE, Quantum Break, Halo Wars 2, and they've announce that all future Forza Games will be on PC.

But then you keep hearing comments that they "won't go all away".

Is it that hard to understand that Forge on PC has been a request from Xbox users for a long time, and that this is primarily aimed at them?

Is it that hard to believe that Halo5 was originally developed without plans for a PC version, so porting it at this time is no easy task (we've seen what happens when ports are decided late in the dev process; Quantum Break).

It's cool that you aren't into Forge or Halo custom games. But does MS have to target YOU specifically with everything they do on PC to make it worthwhile?

So the really question is why not make this thing? Forge is wildly successful in Halo 5. People have been wanting to forge on PC since forever. And they have an opportunity to make Forge better, right now. So why wait until Halo 6 to do so? So that people who want full Halo5 on PC don't feel sad?

MysteryM

i think they are complaining about not getting the full game. this is great because yeah it's free so you can't really complain but why release this and not release the MP part of the game at least?

It's to build maps for people who own halo 5 on xbox one already. Its a simple concept really.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This sounds awesome, a bit sad that people are still complaining about free stuff.
People are not complaining it's free, but rather that they got 4k and full mouse and keyboard support for making and testing forge maps on PC yet refuse to actually release the game itself.

You can make a map and play custom multi player games in it on PC with your live friends list.

Obviously there is full PC support for the multi player part in some degree here.

I get both points. I'd prefer to play halo properly on a PC instead of having to wave my sticks around to shoot.

let's see going forward what really happens. HW2 seems to be a start.

i think they are complaining about not getting the full game. this is great because yeah it's free so you can't really complain but why release this and not release the MP part of the game at least?

People need to stop presenting this as a free portion of a game for PC gamers, but rather an incredibly robust companion app to supplement the Xbox One package.

While this may (and apparently will?) lead to more, for the time being that's exactly what this is. A companion app.

Zedox

It might also be easier for them to play the game on the PC. It's a little hypocritical for MS to play up how the XBox is becoming a unified, hardware agnostic platform and then still hold back on porting their flagship titles.

Besides Gears 4 which hasn't been announced for PC (yet)...every single flagship title from MS this year has come or is coming to Windows 10. Are people just refusing to believe announcements now? Can anyone name a game from MS (that has been announced) that's coming out this year that's not coming to Windows 10 (obviously besides Gears 4)?

The reason I say this is because multiple people have been talking about how MS isn't serious about PC gaming when Phil talked about it but ever since they did and released Rise, Gears, people have been either "angry" because it's not how they wanted it, and/or not believing that they are serious. It's very clear that they are serious. We'll see how much more serious they are with this E3 and what comes to PC and what comes to Xbox and what comes to both.

Furthermore, if this is anything indication, 343i has the ability and will most likely bring Halo 6 to PC. A game that will have taken time for development for PC (and not a rush job) that will make both Xbox and PC gamers happy. It's almost confirming that it's happening.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Besides Gears 4 which hasn't been announced for PC (yet)...every single flagship title from MS this year has come or is coming to Windows 10. Are people just refusing to believe announcements now? Can anyone name a game from MS (that has been announced) that's coming out this year that's not coming to Windows 10 (obviously besides Gears 4)?

The reason I say this is because multiple people have been talking about how MS isn't serious about PC gaming when Phil talked about it but ever since they did and released Rise, Gears, people have been either "angry" because it's not how they wanted it, and/or not believing that they are serious. It's very clear that they are serious. We'll see how much more serious they are with this E3 and what comes to PC and what comes to Xbox and what comes to both.

Furthermore, if this is anything indication, 343i has the ability and will most likely bring Halo 6 to PC. A game that will have taken time for development for PC (and not a rush job) that will make both Xbox and PC gamers happy. It's almost confirming that it's happening.
What first party titles have they announced and what platform is each on?
Gears 4 and Crackdown comes to mind as X11 exclusives but besides that?

Zedox

Crackdown 3?

What first party titles have they announced and what platform is each on?
Gears 4 and Crackdown comes to mind as X11 exclusives but besides that?

I have been corrected. :)

I did forget about Crackdown 3. Thanks for pointing that out. (I can't wait for it)

These were the games that were announced (I took out Fable Legends since that was cancelled)

•Gears of War 4 (Xbox One)
•Quantum Break (Xbox One & Windows 10)
•Halo Wars 2 (Xbox One & Windows 10)
•Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
•ReCore (Xbox One & Windows 10)
•Sea of Thieves (Xbox One & Windows 10)
•Gigantic (Xbox One & Windows 10/8/7)
•Killer Instinct: Season 3 (Xbox One & Windows 10)
•Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Windows 10)
•Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (Xbox One & Windows 10)
•Cobalt (Xbox One, Xbox 360 & Steam)

Out of 11 games, 3 aren't coming to Windows 10 Store (1 is coming to Steam though). And that's what we know of so far. E3 will clue us in further if any of those changes (I doubt Cobalt changes though) and if you wanted to be more "accurate" Rise of the Tomb Raider came out this year as well.

EDIT: I did some ninja edits for Gigantic

I did forget about Crackdown 3. Thanks for pointing that out. (I can't wait for it)

These were the games that were announced (I took out Fable Legends since that was cancelled)

•Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

Out of 11 games, 3 aren't coming to Windows 10 Store (1 is coming to Steam though). And that's what we know of so far. E3 will clue us in further if any of those changes (I doubt Cobalt changes though) and if you wanted to be more "accurate" Rise of the Tomb Raider came out this year as well.

Gigantic is no longer published by MS :p

Zeta Oni

•Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

Scalebound?

Edit: 2016 only, my bad.

Tecnniqe

Banned

•Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)

Few more than I could recall but at the same time those already release have sub-par performance on the Windows platform.
I hope they fix that for the next ones.

Thanks for the list.

Zedox

Gigantic is no longer published by MS :p

Actual Factuals. So 3 out of 10 (if we don't count Rise). lol.

Few more than I could recall but at the same time those already release have sub-par performance on the Windows platform.
I hope they fix that for the next ones.

Thanks for the list.

It's really QB that has PC issues, the rest of the games for the most part have been fixed, and that doesn't invalidate the list. But you're welcome either way. I just wanted people to see that most of the games that MS has been pushing are going to PC. Now if they say that Gears and Crackdown 3 are coming to PC, then I don't know how people can say that MS isn't serious.

link1201

I don't know anything about forge but will doing this allow more textures or is that possible now regardless if they do this or not?

I am curious what opportunities this will open up that weren't possible before if any.

krang

I don't know anything about forge but will doing this allow more textures or is that possible now regardless if they do this or not?

I am curious what opportunities this will open up that weren't possible before if any.

Probably no additional opportunities, other than speed and convenience.

DedValve

Banned
This is actually really awesome if it has online matchmaking so you don't need a full party.

Your basically getting the best part of halo 5 for free. The maps suck and the campaign is meh but the MP itself is godly and Forge is so ridiculous you'll have a plethora of maps. I'm really jealous of PC owners right about now.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Actual Factuals. So 3 out of 10 (if we don't count Rise). lol.

It's really QB that has PC issues, the rest of the games for the most part have been fixed, and that doesn't invalidate the list. But you're welcome either way. I just wanted people to see that most of the games that MS has been pushing are going to PC. Now if they say that Gears and Crackdown 3 are coming to PC, then I don't know how people can say that MS isn't serious.
While it dont invalidate the list i also wouldnt call it proper support. Both Quantum and Gears released in piss poor state imo.
Forza is really good however.

If Gears and Crackdown also comes to PC.

B1067wz.gif

This is actually really awesome if it has online matchmaking so you don't need a full party.

Your basically getting the best part of halo 5 for free. The maps suck and the campaign is meh but the MP itself is godly and Forge is so ridiculous you'll have a plethora of maps. I'm really jealous of PC owners right about now.

No matchmaking but adding people to XBL friend list and invite them works.

iosefe

No matchmaking, but you can invite people to sessions

shoreu

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-all-how-windows-everywhere-finally-happened/

Interesting article. Several paragraphs in here discussing the transition from various Win32 versions to the next remind me of the current Win32 to UWP discussion. Even how people were saying they would never leave that particular OS because of the reduction in functionality, lol.

Windows 95 applications also expected Win32 to have the same quirks and oddities on XP as it did on Windows 95. This often wasn't deliberate; it was just a consequence of the software being developed and tested on Windows 95. As such, XP almost accidentally grew to depend on the way Windows 95 did things. For many applications this wasn't a big deal, but for system utilities that depended on low-level functionality or games that were more concerned with going fast than using APIs in precisely the way they were supposed to be used, this caused compatibility issues.

As a result, in the early days of Windows XP's availability, many Windows users swore it off and insisted that they'd be sticking with Windows 98 forever and that Windows XP was a terrible mistake. For the most part these problems went away, and Windows XP grew to become very popular as developers updated their software to work correctly on the new operating system, but until that happened there were real costs to having these two separate, different versions of Win32.

Those two paragraphs are particularly funny given some peoples protestations about Win10.

[b["For the first time ever, Forgers will have the option of using a keyboard & mouse "[/b]
Was referring to the fact that they are saying forgers will be able to use Mouse/Keyboard controls for the first time when Halo 2 Vista technically did it first. The Map editor wasn't called forge but was a fairly powerful and versatile tool in terms of map creation back then. 343's Forge tools have added a lot more features that just weren't available with H2V to Halo 4/5.

I just find it aggravating that the marketing statements always seems to be worded in strange ways to make their games seem way better than they are. I get that's the point of marketing but it doesn't earn them any goodwill in my books.

EvB

[b["For the first time ever, Forgers will have the option of using a keyboard & mouse "[/b]

Was referring to the fact that they are saying forgers will be able to use Mouse/Keyboard controls for the first time when Halo 2 Vista technically did it first. The Map editor wasn't called forge but was a fairly powerful and versatile tool in terms of map creation back then. 343's Forge tools have added a lot more features that just weren't available with H2V to Halo 4/5.

I just find it aggravating that the marketing statements always seems to be worded in strange ways to make their games seem way better than they are. I get that's the point of marketing but it doesn't earn them any goodwill in my books.

Sigh

Zedox

While it dont invalidate the list i also wouldnt call it proper support. Both Quantum and Gears released in piss poor state imo.
Forza is really good however.

To me, proper support is if your game is f'd at release, you fix it. So far, every game that has come out has been given support and continued support. Gears and QB came out rough, for the most part Gears is fine, QB is still rough but they are still releasing patches. Obviously we disagree with what proper support is and that's totally fine. I think that MS is doing a good job with supporting their games after release on PC (and they have to if they want people to buy their stuff).

Those two paragraphs are particularly funny given some peoples protestations about Win10.

I found it funny when people said that with UWP. People will swear it off...until they feel that they are forced to buy something. Not saying that there won't be people who won't use the Windows Store or any store that sells software in UWP form, but people are going to buy stuff that they want.

Zoolader

Shitttttt this is what we've all been waiting for all these years! Last three Halo games I think I've spent more time in forge than I have in multiplayer. Too bad I don't play much Halo these days.

Maztorre

This software, at least from my view, isn't meant for "PC customers"...it's for Halo 5 Forge players to make it easier for them to make maps, something they've been apparently been asking for, for years. It's to appease them, not straight forward PC gamers. That's the difference that I see. My comment about being happy about it is that the people that the software is meant for is happy with it and people be happy for them, instead we see more people wanting a port because they see tools. So your view of 'PC customers should just bend over for scraps' is flawed (from my view) because you aren't the customer.

You don't need to tell me it isn't for PC customers, that much is blatantly obvious. However, we have 343i claiming that "we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio" in this very thread. If this is Microsoft's idea of "serious" support than it is a complete joke, especially in a market full of competitors who clearly put their customers on this platform first, as I've explained already.

I don't doubt 343i's good intentions but they are completely betrayed by Microsoft's insistence on only supporting the PC in a fashion that benefits other parts of their business, rather than providing a satisfying level of service to PC customers.

Trup1aya

You don't need to tell me it isn't for PC customers, that much is blatantly obvious. However, we have 343i claiming that "we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio" in this very thread. If this is Microsoft's idea of "serious" support than it is a complete joke, especially in a market full of competitors who clearly put their customers on this platform first, as I've explained already.

I don't doubt 343i's good intentions but they are completely betrayed by Microsoft's insistence on only supporting the PC in a fashion that benefits other parts of their business, rather than providing a satisfying level of service to PC customers.

Then he goes on to say that they have games built from the ground up to be on both PC and xbox, in the pipeline.

Why would any one suspect that THIS is MS' idea of "serious support"? It's clearly a companion app for the Xbox game...

You keep equating this particular app, as evidence that 343i and MS have no interest in properly supporting PC, despite the fact that they are laying the groundwork for full titles to come in the future AND have a full featured game coming this holiday.

Not to mention MS' flagship titles Gears and Forza arriving on PC in full.

I, for one, welcome our PC Forge Overlords.

I wish this was the full game. But I use Forge a lot and being able to use a PC and Mouse is a huge quality of life improvement for me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I saw this but I don't know why you wouldn't announce the full game along with this. You figure this would be like a neat demo or something.

None of these really answer the question. I am just wondering why you would port and polish so much of the game (renderer, netcode, ai, and whatever else is involved in current day Forge, I do not honestly know - I don't own an Xbox One) to make a version of the game that will only inspire the question "why can't I buy and play the real game" when a PC gamer boots it up. Do tons of Xbox One users actually want this thing?

Because it's still a small portion of the original product.

I don't want 343's Halo games, I want Bungie's, and they're in control of those, too.

Those still exist, either via MCC or without that product. I'm honestly not sure what it is you're asking for. Except a time machine, maybe.

scitek

Those still exist, either via MCC or without that product. I'm honestly not sure what it is you're asking for. Except a time machine, maybe.

Whatever, you don't have to be smart about it. It's not like I haven't already stated in plain English what I want. And I'm far from alone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Whatever, you don't have to be smart about it. It's not like I haven't already stated in plain English what I want. And I'm far from alone.

You literally haven't explained what you want, beyond Bungie Halo games. Which still exist.

I'm not "being smart" If anything I'm being dumb, because I'm struggling to understand what you're asking for.

You don't want anything we make.

You don't want full H5 on PC.

You don't want Forge on PC.

What do you want?

You literally haven't explained what you want, beyond Bungie Halo games. Which still exist.

I'm not "being smart" If anything I'm being dumb, because I'm struggling to understand what you're asking for.

You don't want Forge on PC.

What do you want?

I guess older Halos on PC.

Or dank memes.

I'm gonna go with dank memes.

scitek

You literally haven't explained what you want, beyond Bungie Halo games. I'm not "being smart" I'm struggling to understand what you're asking for.

What do you want?

It's the other way around, you aren't making what I want, but you could.

I want the Bungie games in the franchise that never made it to the PC to finally make it to the PC. How about just putting the first two up for sale as digital downloads as a sign that you're actually wanting Halo on the platform? Ideally, I'd want those patched to run at a proper 60fps at some point, too.

As for your work, it's nothing personal, I just didn't care for the direction your team took Halo 4, and what I've played of 5 was along the same lines. I DO appreciate the focus on 60fps, however!

Plus, if you're planning on bringing future installments to the PC, why would you not want the rest of them available for players? I'm not asking for ports to show up tomorrow. (Really, it's been years already, what are a few more?) I also understand it's beyond the scope of your team right now, and is something that needs to be planned for, etc. But why is it so hard to get a Microsoft franchise onto a Microsoft platform?

EDIT: Please note that when I say "you" I don't mean you personally. I'm not speaking to you with the illusion that you can run into an exec's office and say, "Here's what we're gonna do!"

Saty

lol, no resources. If Microsoft wanted it they would have 'found' the resources and handed the job to another studio if 343i were busy. Although i'm not sure when will 343i will be less busy to do that that now after Halo 5 has shipped and before they go knee-deep with Halo 6.

Taking into consideration Spencer's previous remarks they don't seem as interested in porting already-released Halo games so we'll probably see Halo 6 and on-wards on PC. But i suspect not having the series on PC is going to hurt potential sales from players who don't want to jump in the middle of the second trilogy. But with the UWP thing it doesn't seem like maximizing success of an individual game is their first priority.

Top Bottom