• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Forge coming to Windows 10 later this year

Zedox

Dat persecution complex. Do you realise how obnoxious it is to claim PC customers should just bend over for scraps of the multiplayer mode of a Halo game, and "be happy" about it? Because hey, where else are PC customers going to go for FPS games, right? It's not like there are 2 major platforms on PC hosting massively popular FPSes that put their PC customers first.

This software, at least from my view, isn't meant for "PC customers"...it's for Halo 5 Forge players to make it easier for them to make maps, something they've been apparently been asking for, for years. It's to appease them, not straight forward PC gamers. That's the difference that I see. My comment about being happy about it is that the people that the software is meant for is happy with it and people be happy for them, instead we see more people wanting a port because they see tools. So your view of 'PC customers should just bend over for scraps' is flawed (from my view) because you aren't the customer.

RedSwirl

I honestly don't think MS is "protecting" exclusivity. If they were, all the games that I mentioned in my previous post would be on XBO only (ReCore wouldn't have been announced for Windows 10 as it was previously XBO exclusive). I really think it comes down to development time and complexity, supporting a community that already plays the game and development time of Halo 6.

Halo, Gears, and Forza probably still sell enough on Xbox. I don't have the sales numbers in front of me, but I imagine Microsoft conceded and allowed Windows versions of games like Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3, and Ryse because they weren't quite successful enough on Xbox alone. Microsoft has probably already conceded to this in regards to ReCore.

xzeldax3

This is definitely a test run for how 343 can get Halo 5 running with Win10. So many people just bitching them out and begging for Halo 5 PC port! I thought port begging wasn't allowed.

shoreu

Dat persecution complex. Do you realise how obnoxious it is to claim PC customers should just bend over for scraps of the multiplayer mode of a Halo game, and "be happy" about it? Because hey, where else are PC customers going to go for FPS games, right? It's not like there are 2 major platforms on PC hosting massively popular FPSes that put their PC customers first.

Yo this is free why are you making such a big fuss. Chill out and enjoy it/ look forward to halo 6, because you probably aren't getting more from 5

Also this is a tool for console gamers not PC players.

Granjinha

lol

who is saying that anyone should bend over? This is clearly aimed at forge users, not anyone that wants to play FPS

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome.

I want Halo 5 the full title though.

Would be great to play this at 4K, no low fps animations, and wonky LoD/Shadows.

My 1080 will be ready. Do it MS.

Madness

lol

who is saying that anyone should bend over? This is clearly aimed at forge users, not anyone that wants to play FPS

Why even engage these people. This is a tool for Halo 5 players and forgers, people who spend hundreds of hours forging using a difficult controller on a limited console. Now they have a free tool to utilize on PC and make their forging easier but nah it is a slap in the face because it isn't a full retail game release for sale.

ITT gamers do not understand hype building and marketing releases at big events. LOL.

Forge on Win10 you say...fuck yes I say! Nice work 343/MS and seeing the engine support 4K I know what is around the corner baby!

JaggedSac

Why even engage these people. This is a tool for Halo 5 players and forgers, people who spend hundreds of hours forging using a difficult controller on a limited console. Now they have a free tool to utilize on PC and make their forging easier but nah it is a slap in the face because it isn't a full retail game release for sale.

It is funny reading that fallout mod thread after reading this turd of a thread, lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So you read this...and you can't help but feel a full halo 5 client for win 10 is coming right behind this...why would they go through the trouble to have multiple resolutions including 4k if just for forging

Additionally, why would they go through all that work just to release it and only have it publish to X-box.

It's gotta be a counter-strike to the Halo 3/"Online"/"El Dorito" release.

Schnauzer

Jesus Christ. Why do Microsoft need to "test the waters" for a game series that already succeeded on the PC platform and was only withdrawn for arbitrary reasons relating to their console business? If Bandai Namco can release anime ninja fighting games on PC to great success then how can Microsoft find it hard to justify releasing a Western sci-fi FPS on the platform that invented the western sc-fi FPS, a platform that already hosted games in this series?

There is no risk/reward as it relates to the PC market for Halo, this is about justifying their console business while simultaneously trying to lure people onto another iteration of their PC storefront in a piecemeal fashion.

The risk is damaging the Xbox brand further. If the Xbox brand becomes known as the PC too brand, this is one of the franchises that was suppose to never come back to PC. It was the Xbox pillar. The only way there would be no risk, is if they were getting out of the console market.

There is more to risk than initial profit.

The risk is damaging the Xbox brand further. If the Xbox brand becomes known as the PC too brand, this is one of the franchises that was suppose to never come back to PC. It was the Xbox pillar. The only way there would be no risk, is if they were getting out of the console market.

This is Microsoft we're talking about here.

Nah, Halo isn't the only console seller for Xbox anymore. Sure it's the poster child for it but having a larger pool of players to share and making more use of Azure would = more developers from PC and Xbox while driving revenue for Azure/MS. It makes a ton of sense. There's no reason to drop consoles at all, I'll still buy them and play on PC. There is also the marketing differentiator of Xbox/PC vs. just PS, that's a big point for devs to build a PC game that can launch to Xbox as well, leaving PS out of the loop due to dev costs and ports etc. MS could also pay for PC/Xbox exclusivity more moving forward. Win Win if you ask me.

Schnauzer

Nah, Halo isn't the only console seller for Xbox anymore. Sure it's the poster child for it but having a larger pool of players to share and making more use of Azure would = more developers from PC and Xbox while driving revenue for Azure/MS. It makes a ton of sense. There's no reason to drop consoles at all, I'll still buy them and play on PC. There is also the marketing differentiator of Xbox/PC vs. just PS, that's a big point for devs to build a PC game that can launch to Xbox as well, leaving PS out of the loop due to dev costs and ports etc. MS could also pay for PC/Xbox exclusivity more moving forward. Win Win if you ask me.

I think this is just a topic where it's best to just agree we disagree. With PS4 dominance and the fact that most games will sell more on the PS4 than Xbox One and PC combined globally, I think Sony is in a better position to be offering such deals, and this would only make matters worse.

KingBroly

Banned

What console exclusives does Xbox One have besides Halo 5 and MCC at this point?

Sou Da

For real, right? People aren't happy with the map creation tool without the game to play it? Like whaaaaaaaaaattttttt? It's free, guys, you should be happy cause free things are free.

It's literally a companion app for the game. I can't really see the issue, its like those smartphone ones.

I think this is just a topic where it's best to just agree we disagree. With PS4 dominance and the fact that most games will sell more on the PS4 than Xbox One and PC combined globally, I think Sony is in a better position to be offering such deals, and this would only make matters worse.

What console exclusives does Xbox One have besides Halo 5 and MCC at this point?

You don't actually believe Sony outsell Xbox & PC combined do you? Steam is a juggernaut, digital downloads/sales aren't disclosed or included in metrics you the consumer sees.

Example:
http://www.thegamersblog.com/understanding-the-numbers-pc-vs-console-sales-figures/

As for exclusives I don't even have to list them. Say Halo5 sold 5mil and X1 is 15mil, right there 66% of Xbox owners bought the console without ever bundling or buying a Halo game.

Edit: closer numbers are likely 4mil H5 and 20mil X1 so 75% of Xbox owners don't play Halo 5. Times have changed.

Aselith

It's literally a companion app for the game. I can't really see the issue, its like those smartphone ones.

That's fine. But do you think the PC audience is really gonna be happy to be the smartphone app for the console players? This was guaranteed to set PC players off.

The fact that you CAN play in "test mode" is just a further slap in the face.

Trup1aya

That's fine. But do you think the PC audience is really gonna be happy to be the smartphone app for the console players? This was guaranteed to set PC players off.

It make no sense to be 'set off' by this. It's primarily for people who play the game on Xbox and what a better way to create content for the game.

Why should the mere existence of a companion app make set someone off? If you are on PC and uninterested in forge, your situation hasn't changed.

dLMN8R

Can you please point me to all of those smartphone companion apps that give you free access to full online multiplayer first person shooter arenas?

mjp2417

Banned

You're overestimating the importance of exclusivity for the vast majority of consumers (see PS4 sales, particularly last Holiday season). Also, most console players aren't weighing an Xbox purchase vs. building an $800+ gaming PC. The latter option simply doesn't enter into the decision making process.

Schnauzer

You don't actually believe Sony outsell Xbox & PC combined do you? Steam is a juggernaut, digital downloads/sales aren't disclosed or included in metrics you the consumer sees.

Example:
http://www.thegamersblog.com/understanding-the-numbers-pc-vs-console-sales-figures/

As for exclusives I don't even have to list them. Say Halo5 sold 5mil and X1 is 15mil, right there 66% of Xbox owners bought the console without ever bundling or buying a Halo game.

Edit: closer numbers are likely 4mil H5 and 20mil X1 so 75% of Xbox owners don't play Halo 5. Times have changed.

Think about it.
PS4 and Steam or Xbox One and W10 Store.

You're overestimating the importance of exclusivity for the vast majority of consumers (see PS4 sales, particularly last Holiday season). Also, most console players aren't weighing an Xbox purchase vs. building an $800+ gaming PC. The latter option simply doesn't enter into the decision making process.

You say that, but I will more than likely opt out of the next console if Forza/Gears stays on the PC. Through in Halo and forget about it.

Schnauzer

I don't understand what you're saying, clearly you don't either. I should have agreed to disagree.

Look at the console/pc exclusives.

They have been mostly
PS4/Steam
Xbox/W10

If I were a developer and were offered two deals, I know who I would go with.

I also have seen games sell more on the PS4 than Xbox One and Steam combined. So.... Not every game, but quite a few consistent genres.

Aselith

It make no sense to be 'set off' by this. It's primarily for people who play the game on Xbox and what a better way to create content for the game.

Why should the mere existence of a companion app make set someone off? If you are on PC and uninterested in forge, your situation hasn't changed.

Because it's part of the game is being brought over but not all of it. It would be like if people wanted the Witcher brought to consoles before it came over and they only brought over a Witcher movie maker so you could record yourself playing the PC game.

You didn't do anything wrong but still massively disappointing to the people on that audience.

mjp2417

Banned
You say that, but I will more than likely opt out of the next console if Forza/Gears stays on the PC. Through in Halo and forget about it.

I totally get that, but you're also posting on NeoGAF; you're not necessarily representative of most consumers. Like, I'm sure the decision to move their first party lineup to PC will ultimately be a net negative for their console business, I just don't think the numbers will be particularly significant, nor will they offset the revenue and brand recognition to be gained from selling Halo/Gears/Forza on PC. I will also admit that I'm not exactly a neutral observer here - I really want to see those games on PC.

Trup1aya

Because it's part of the game is being brought over but not all of it. It would be like if people wanted the Witcher brought to consoles before it came over and they only brought over a Witcher movie maker so you could record yourself playing the PC game.

You didn't do anything wrong but still massively disappointing to the people on that audience.

Dissapointing?

We you expecting a Halo 5 for PC announcement today? Probably not. You woke up and there was no Halo5 for PC, and now you'll go to bed without Halo 5 for PC. Nothing has changed in your situation.

People who want a better way to Forge, or who want a potentially larger community of map builders, or what to enjoy some Halo 5 custom gaming on PC have gained something. And it's free.

It's either a nuetral announcement or a positive announcement. No one has been negatively impacted.

Aselith

Dissapointing?

We you expecting a Halo 5 for PC announcement today? Probably not. You woke up and there was no Halo5 for PC, and now you'll go to bed without Halo 5 for PC. Nothing has changed in your situation.

People who want a better way to Forge, or who want a potentially larger community of map builders, or what to enjoy some Halo 5 custom gaming on PC have gained something. And it's free.

It's either a nuetral announcement or a positive announcement. No one has been negatively impacted.

If you wanted Halo 5 on PC, you were negatively impacted because now you know they're doing something for PC but you aren't getting the actual game, no?

If I wake up on a day not expecting a Persona 5 announcement and they announce it was cancelled I'm still negatively impacted. Expecting the announcement has fuck all to do with its fallout.

Trup1aya

If you wanted Halo 5 on PC, you were negatively impacted because now you know they're doing something for PC but you aren't getting the actual game, no?

If I wake up on a day not expecting a Persona 5 announcement and they announce it was cancelled I'm still negatively impacted. Expecting the announcement has fuck all to do with its fallout.

Nothing was cancelled though.

You won't up not expecting a full halo game on PC, and you don't have a full halo game on PC.

All that has happened is people that want to forge on PC now have the ability.

Nothing was taken away from you. You have no net loss.

Aselith

Nothing was cancelled though.

You won't up not expecting a full halo game on PC, and you don't have a full halo game on PC.

All that has happened is people that want to forge on PC now have the ability.

Nothing was taken away from you. You have no net loss.

I guess since you read half my post I'll

Juanfp

I wonder if there will be option to modify the graphix beside resolution. This been made for the forge creators to play in Halo 5 mainly.

mikeGFG

Banned
Who is this even for?

Halo fans that might as well play Halo 5 on XB1? or PC gamers that can literally play, mod, and tinker with just about any fully-featured Steam game out there.

Can you imagine if the original Dark Souls PC port was only a roped-off PVP arena invasion brawler.

krang

When was Halo 5 for PC "cancelled"?

Dissapointing?

Absolutely 100% agree.

Maybe they should have said "Halo 5 map editor coming to PC". Eh...people would still have thrown a hissy fit.

SOR5

Who is this even for?

Halo fans that might as well play Halo 5 on XB1? or PC gamers that can literally play, mod, and tinker with just about any fully-featured Steam game out there.

Can you imagine if the original Dark Souls PC port was only a roped-off PVP arena invasion brawler.

-People who want to make Forge maps with a KB+M
-People who want to play Halo 5 with KB+M
-People who want to play with their Xbone friends on their PC
-People who want to play with their W10 friends on Xbone
-People who want to play some aspect of Halo 5 multiplayer on PC
-People who want to play Halo in 4K
-People who want to play a game because fuck it it's free

Aselith

When was Halo 5 for PC "cancelled"?

I didn't say that. I was putting out an example of a situation of an announcement that you weren't expecting was still negative since his view was that the announcement isn't negative for PC players since they weren't "expecting" it.

It certainly sucks that they are going to be bringing a playable version of Halo 5 to PC without bringing it whole hog. While they could still potentially have it in the works, it seems less likely since they announced one and not the other. That's a negative announcement if you were interested in playing the game on PC.

Another example would be if they straight announced no Halo 5 on PC. That's disappointing without the game having been actually cancelled as that is hope dashed.

Trup1aya

I guess since you read half my post I'll

What? I read you post. The persona analogy makes no sense.

If persona was cancelled, you are disappointed because you expected something, then learned it isn't coming.

Halo 5 PC never exisited. There has been no expectation of it. It wasn't cancelled. The only thing that has happened Forge users GAINED a free PC app, unexpectedly.

No one lost anything with this announcement

Who is this even for?

Hasnt this been explained already? Also your analogy Doesn't really work here.

It's FOR people who like to or would like to make maps and gametypes for Halo5. Kb/m controls will likely be far superior than an Xbox Controller for this purpose.

It will also benefit people who like playing on Forge creations, as creators will likely be able to push out better creations, faster.

In fact, one of the main reasons I've yet to build anything in Forge is due to how difficult it is to use a controller. 343i has done a great job mapping the controls, but there are inherent limitations that should be immediately remedied by the move to PC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
-People who want to play Halo 5 with KB+M
-People who want to play with their Xbone friends on their PC
-People who want to play with their W10 friends on Xbone

Did Frankie say the whole of Halo 5 was coming? Because to my knowledge it's only forge. And while Forge is nice, it's not all maps nor all modes. You can't matchmake non-Forge made maps. Which makes it entirely pointless to PC-only folks that want the Halo series to hit Steam and/or Windows in some capicity to the point where they "hacked" together the leaked Halo 3 engine of that Russian F2P Halo (did that even ever come out after everyone hacked "Halo 3" to be P2P on PC?).

Maybe PC modders will be able to make Halo 5 come to PC before MS actually does i--

--Oh, right. UWP. Meaning unless you want to play Forge maps 24/7, this isn't "worthwhile" for 90% of players.

That's not to poo-poo the initiative. It's a nice olive branch, but that's all it is: An olive branch.

Top Bottom