• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Forge coming to Windows 10 later this year

Warxard

Banned
The Halo community seems to be very pleased with the state of Halo 5 Forge. How is it 'backwards'?

People will jump to conclusions and assume that this was a decision by MS to only put the forge component of H5 onto W10 instead of the full game. It doesn't look good on MS by putting halves and segments of their well acclaimed titles on a new marketplace they're trying to promote.

Yes, this was a decision by 343i and I respect the shit out of it. But to normal ass people who don't care about forge tools, this -- AT FACE VALUE -- looks like a kick to the dick.

MS cannot shake that perception off until they like, do something about it. Like put games that people want on the marketplace.

But that's a discussion that doesn't fit with the subject of the thread.

Oh yeah, sure.

BvsKJXGzqfNPq.gif

Done & done. If Halo on PC is dead within 6 months I will eat my hat.

Trup1aya

Fair point, but ultimately that comes down to strategy. If their approach involved doing an all-titles blitz of the PC platform, there's nothing to stop the distribution of funds from changing in order to make it happen.

On a different note, I feel like it's worth noting that zero specifics were given in regard to gameplay. As in, being able to actually jump into your forge map and test it using Halo 5 game mechanics.

This could just be a level editor intended to deploy maps to XBO for all we know. It would be a ridiculous notion, yes, but MS' PC efforts aren't exactly above that...

Anyway, if it does have gameplay functionality, then the Halo 5 engine is already being ported to PC in order to run it, just sans campaign assets and MP maps. No way they'd reimplement everything from the ground up just to power a fancy level editor.

What other details are needed. They said you can build the map in forge and playtest it live with other friends who are using the PC client. How else would these maps be tested if not white H5s mechanics?

Sounds like a faithful port of Forge's creation and playtesting capabilities

The best Forge in the entire franchise keeps getting better and better amazing work 343 Industries! :) , also Stinkles are we going to get HW2 news soon? I need it :D

giphy.gif

Granjinha

But their commitment to PC gaming...

I know, man. I am so excited to have features like mouse and keyboard. Truely pioneering PC features.

I know GAF can be pretty stupid sometimes, but if you guys think that the support from MS for PC isn't growing... Well, i'm just gonna go ahead and suppose you're pretending To be dumb.

I'm not saying UWP is good, but the number of games and things MS is doing far exceeds anything they've done in the past years. And it looks like it will only grow going forward.

JaggedSac

I certainly was.

We have to work on things that are sustainable for the studio, and make sense for long term planning. This is something we wanted to do for Xbox One forgers for a long time and is of course an extension of the existing suite. This is a sustain beat for Halo 5 on Xbox One. It's certainly a big bonus that PC creators and players will get to play around in that sandbox, but that's not really the primary purpose of the tool.

We knew there'd be latent demands for a full version of the game (as there have been since H2 on Vista), but neither the time nor the finances make sense this far along the calendar. Halo Wars 2 will be a more palatable and straightforward example of the fact that we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio.

Makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Also, I personally thought this was a good idea a while ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180081283&postcount=1327

Tecnniqe

Banned
Man this thread made me search my Steam after screenshots i took from the PC version
9D2548CC49855D298C7732DCDC26B810395E13D4

Imagine if there was a God

Looked pretty good too
00EC6F24E4AF4098DFC65B2DBA2A6CCCFA6B165D

Karl2177

I just want to know approximately when we will hear more details on this. Based on Frank's post, I'm the intended audience for this product.

Lothars

Did Halo 5 turn out good? I legit haven't seen anybody talk about it after the initial launch hype.
I think it's mixed, I have some big issues with it but some people love it and think it's the best halo. So I don't think you will see a general consensus.

I think this Halo Forge is a good idea to bring out on PC, I also understand why they can't put halo 5 out on PC at the moment but I think if Microsoft is serious about PC gaming they need to make sure all exclusives from now on will be released on the PC including Halo 6.

Kalentan

I may actually be able to make Forge maps properly now! I maybe able to go from being terrible at it to being slightly less terrible. ;)

Finaj

Did Halo 5 turn out good? I legit haven't seen anybody talk about it after the initial launch hype.

Campaign was good gameplay-wise, but was a tad short and the story has people divided.

The multiplayer is excellent with free support in the last 6 months.

The forge team is especially good with adding new tools and items. They just added a couple of new textures that make the maps look so much better. It's honestly one of the best map editors out there.

I think that's the general gist of things.

link1201

Campaign was good gameplay-wise, but was a tad short and the story has people divided.

The multiplayer is excellent with free support in the last 6 months.

The forge team is especially good with adding new tools and items. They just added a couple of new textures that make the maps look so much better. It's honestly one of the best map editors out there.

I think that's the general gist of things.
I agree with this.

Campaign gameplay was pretty alright, but narratively nowhere near as good as what you'd expect from a company with the talent, clout, and capital as 343i.

Multiplayer is one of the best First Person Shooters ever made. Seriously.

Warxard

Banned

Campaign was trash initially but the campaign patch fixed a lot of the issues regarding the gameplay aspect of the Campaign. So it's slightly less trash.

MP is the best MP on a console right now.

Forge is dope

Zeta Oni

Called it back when they announced forge was coming a month after launch.

Had the timing all wrong though.

Still, will be amazing to see what creations can come from this.

Warxard

Banned
Halo Online has the privilege of being Halo 3 Custom Edition these days

too bad Halo 3 has garbage maps aayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

jem0208

This. Thank you. Not that difficult to understand. I understand the benefits of releasing this on PC, but it's a huge slap in the face (unintentionally) to those who want this franchise to release on time via Windows.

MS says they want to properly support PC gaming and bringing Halo on board would be a fantastic way to deliver on that commitment.
Oh come on.

I can understand being disappointed by the lack of Halo on PC. But releasing a feature which fans have been asking for for years is somehow a slap in the face?

Saikyo

...should not been easier in a patch give a kb+m support on halo 5 on xbone just for Forge use?

Hope that means they are testing it for a future port of halo 5 on w10.

Tecnniqe

Banned
...should not been easier in a patch give a kb+m support on halo 5 on xbone just for Forge use?

Hope that means they are testing it for a future port of halo 5 on w10.

Well considering you apparently can test the maps with KB/M in the Forge version I assume most of the heavy lifting is done in the "porting" as the engine seems to run.

Surfinn

Oh come on.

I can understand being disappointed by the lack of Halo on PC. But releasing a feature which fans have been asking for for years is somehow a slap in the face?

Inadvertent, as I've said numerous times. As in they weren't intending to. Not sure why so many people are getting so excited over that term. They've said multiple times over years they want to improve their support and value within the PC gaming community, and to those who want to play Halo on PC, it's hard to feel good about only being able to play the franchise through a level editor. Of course, this is fantastic news for people who want to create levels for Halo (whom it was intended for); all I'm saying is that there are now unintended negative consequences for those who game on the PC (who have wanted MS to bring Halo to the platform for a simultaneous release with Xbox).

Christ on the cross whose dick do PC gamers have to suck at MS to just get a god damn Halo campaign on PC? This is cool and all but I want MCC at 4k 60fps

CamHostage

Uh...this isn't for PC gamers, but for people who play Halo 5. Forgers have been wanting a PC client (because map editors are easier to use on PC) for years.

Makes sense to me, but it's still a huge inadvertent slap in the face to people who've been wanting Halo (at release) on PC for years. I opened the thread and started reading and mistakenly thought Halo 5 was just announced to come to the PC platform along with Forge.

Right, so just call it Forge Tools for PC and be done with it. (Don't even need to put "Halo 5" in the title since those who'd use Forge will know soon enough which Halo it'll build for, and it's not like there's a smattering of different Halo Forge PC apps to get confused with.) The people who are interested in the toolset will know and seek it out and be thrilled! And the people who wish for Halo don't get jerked around into thinking they're this much closer to getting Halo 5 PC. PC gamers are not getting "Halo", they're getting "Forge", and only Forge tools (none of the publishing and trading and playing that is part of the joy of Forge's existence) at that.

Also, MS didn't do any favors in the announcement. They made it seem like this is a big deal to PC gamers, but it's not; it's a big deal to Xbox gamers who would like to use a more responsive machine than an Xbox to build their Xbox game levels. They talk about how you can test and "play" your Forge levels on PC but should have specified that it's not gameplay, only mess-around play. They talk about increased resolution, which is good that they fully optimized the Forge port but seems silly to brag about considering people would have taken for granted (albeit it would make some unfair sense if this weren't the case) that they would not have to kick their monitors down to sub-1080p to make a map. They describe the ability to build on PC and publish to Xbox as a bulletpoint, as if it's a special feature that you can cross-publish your designs, but in fact that's all that the Forge PC app is built for so, it's not a brag-worthy feature that the application does the only thing it's designed to do. "Best of all? It will be absolutely free." ... It better be if all I can do with it is play the levels in the game I already bought! The Forge: Halo 5:Guardians Edition description just makes no effort to explain to gamers that yes, this is a great deal for Forge developers, but please understand what it is and is not for.

When they say that they've brought the Forge experience to Windows 10, I don't see that as accurate since part of the Forge experience is playing your Forge designs as well as enjoying other designers' Forge creations inside the Halo online environment.

I'm glad for 343's accomplishment and ingenuity to bring Forge to PC. Kudos! I'm angry at Microsoft's mis-marketing of what the product is.

As much as I don't like Halo 5 for various reasons, I can't help but be excited by the prospect of playing it on PC with mouse and keyboard, better graphics, no auto aim/aim assist, and higher framerates. I sold my Xbox, but I did really enjoy some campaign missions even though Agent Locke is a wet towel in the franchise.

Sounds amazing.

get a god damn Halo campaign on PC? This is cool and all but I want MCC at 4k 60fps

YESS. I need Halo CE and Halo 2 Anniversary on my PC.

EvB

You'd have to be insane to think this.

I Love Halo, I don't care if it comes out on PC

It'll make the player base larger and give more competition, it will also help with the longevity of the title (a game I enjoy)

AND

I could built an uber Crazy PC to play one of my favourite games and still play with my Xbox friends.
I can't see why anybody would complain about that.

singhr1

Christ on the cross whose dick do PC gamers have to suck at MS to just get a god damn Halo campaign on PC? This is cool and all but I want MCC at 4k 60fps

For how broken it was on Xbox One, do you REALLY think they believe, "Oh we messed up this thing before, lost tons of good will, spent millions of dollars on an investment that still doesn't work 100% of the time, MAYBE we can recoup those investments by trying to port 5.5 games to PC where it's even more difficult to predict hardware configs and pick up the $$$ on the back end of a smaller fan base."

Look, those games are out there. They've been out there for 4+ years. Go get them instead of waiting them to come to you. I'd prefer investments into new games going forward like the likely Halo 6 xbox/windows cross support.

Gaogaogao

A lot? Did you even read the front page? People are begging for Halo on PC. And they're right, it's a great game, and PC gamers deserve it being on PC.

I think you're very confused about what is and isn't on the UWP right now. I'm not saying it won't happen, but Halo 5 was not designed or developed on the UWP. They are quite likely using legacy Xbox APIs.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/733331895606378496

I have been lied to before

Trup1aya

What a crock of BS.

Calling it Forge - Halo 5 edition makes it pretty damn clear what this is.

First of all, you are wrong when you suggest that the "publishing, trading, and playing" aspect of forge isn't included:

This is the Halo 5 version of Forge.

People will quickly understand that it means that they can use it to make and playtest maps on their PC, that can subsequently be published for Halo 5.

I can't tell if you are intentionally spreading misinformation, or if your anger at MS for your inability to comprehend the heading is preventing you from actually reading the press release.

Shifty

What other details are needed. They said you can build the map in forge and playtest it live with other friends who are using the PC client. How else would these maps be tested if not white H5s mechanics?

Sounds like a faithful port of Forge's creation and playtesting capabilities

I must have missed that part- I'll admit I did skim the article pretty quickly. Herp.

In that case, the porting debate is a done deal. The Halo 5 engine will run on PC.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/733331895606378496

SPECULATE. SPECULATEEEEEEEE.

should make some of you pissed its not on PC at least cautiously optimistic.

dont get me wrong. i have a GTX1080 headed by way and would fucking love H5 on pc. But im super happy to dive in and mess with forge first

WELP. I'm thinking we'll see Halo 5 Multiplayer at the very least.

Shifty

Sounds like they are testing waters to see how the fanbase will react to a PC version so they can gauge risk/reward.

Does anyone have a gif handy that depicts someone totally ignoring a large, clamouring crowd of people?

I feel like that would be appropriate.

Top Bottom