• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Forge coming to Windows 10 later this year

Source

This all sounds great. Having to use a controller to build levels was always off putting to me, now that it's got PC support with KB/M I'll be interested in getting back into Halo 5 & forging when this nears release.

It's more like I think some people who refuse to buy an Xbox One for whatever reason seen to get precious over expecting Microsoft to release all their games on PC. Which makes zero business sense. If I refuse to buy a WiiU I don't expect Nintendo to release all their games on other platforms so I can play it.

That would be a good comparison except Nintendo doesn't own another platform / promise games on other platforms.

Still not confirmed but it's certainly happening. Maybe next month?

if not at E3 then probably like a month before release just like Quantum Break. There's too much smoke for something not to be there.

Granjinha

I am conflicted on whether to believe this post, or the PR statements Microsoft have made saying that it is really really easy to port an Xbox game to Windows 10.

Why was Halo 5 not planned for PC from the start? It's not like PC gaming is a new thing.

Being really easy doesn't mean it doesn't take time and work, especially with a huge game like Halo 5.

And what do you mean why? They weren't as commited to PC Gaming like they are now. Simple.

Were that the case, surely they could just add keyboard and mouse support to the Xbox version?

Because it's much better to use forge on the desktop?

No one is asking Microsoft to release their games on non-Microsoft platforms, and the expectation only arose because Microsoft went out of their way to tell people to expect Microsoft games on Windows. Repeatedly.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? They did do that. Spencer also said they 'weren't looking to the past' in regards of PC Gaming, Windows and Xbox Games.

Megatron

This is really damn cool of them, but the entitled bullshit port begging is obnoxious. Map creation on pc is an awesome feature, there is no obligation to also put the game on pc. Buy an xbox one if you want to play halo. If you dont then shut up about it. But dont wine and belittle a really cool gesture because you want more.

JaggedSac

Knowing MS, there's a big chance that this won't happen. The fun part is that we have MS PR people here telling us that porting stuff is really hard, etc and then other MS PR people throw around UWP saying that one of its biggest benefits is the ability to quickly port games from Xbone to PC or viceversa. I mean, who are we supposed to believe?

Halo 5 does not run on the UWP.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Ports are as easy as flipping a switch that says "Xbox One" to "Windows 10". Cmon 343/M$.

Raide

If it is the same tools but on PC, there really won't be that much of an improvement just because you can now Forge in higher resolutions. If they improve the geometry options to make it more in line with PC focused editors, then I will happily shift over to make better Xbox One Maps.

I can see the Xbox One version getting some really good improvements that might actually make the PC shift more worthwhile.

If Halo comes to the PC I'm trading in my xbox the same hour. Nothing would be holy for MS. Crackdown would be next, so would be Scalebound.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If it is the same tools but on PC, there really won't be that much of an improvement just because you can now Forge in higher resolutions. If they improve the geometry options to make it more in line with PC focused editors, then I will happily shift over to make better Xbox One Maps.

I can see the Xbox One version getting some really good improvements that might actually make the PC shift more worthwhile.

Did you even read the blog post?

JaggedSac

The PC version will be a UWP, wanna bet? (the Forge thingie)

Why wouldn't it be? MS is pushing the platform like it's the next best thing.

Well, of course, anything on the Windows Store is a UWP.

UWP ease of cross-platform development doesn't really apply when Halo 5 is not a UWP on Bone. One has to first put it on UWP. Which is what they have done to a chunk of the game.

Some people think Halo is coming to PC? MS would be nuts to lose one of their last exclusives.

MS stated before that they will be bringing their games to PC but in forms like Forza Apex. Halo Forge is probably apart of this mindset.

Lucifon

No one is asking Microsoft to release their games on non-Microsoft platforms, and the expectation only arose because Microsoft went out of their way to tell people to expect Microsoft games on Windows. Repeatedly.

Yeah, because Nintendo makes the OS that the majority of PC gamers use... Oh, wait, they don't and your comparison is apples to oranges.

An OS is absolutely not the same as a gaming platform. Microsoft don't need games to convince people to use Windows 10 whatsoever. Third parties do that for them. Again, it makes no sense for them to port all of their major exclusives to PC. The only logical reasoning behind wanting them to do that is selfish wishful thinking.

Them releasing games in general and variations of games on PC doesn't = porting all of their exclusives.

JaggedSac

Some people think Halo is coming to PC? MS would be nuts to lose one of their last exclusives.

MS stated before that they will be bringing their games to PC but in forms like Forza Apex. Halo Forge is probably apart of this mindset.

All future Forza titles will release on PC. They won't all be like Apex.

Wow, that is pretty damn cool. I remember people wanting this feature before Halo 5 came out. Glad it's finally happening even if I am not a forger. Still will check it out though, because why not?

Raide

Did you even read the blog post?

•Keyboard & Mouse Support – For the first time ever, Forgers will have the option of using a keyboard & mouse allowing for more precision control than ever before.

•Increased Resolution – Support for multiple resolutions including 4k.

The above seems to be the only difference. Not enough to make me fully switch but its free, so I will probably see what its like but its way easier on the Xbox to just pop in and out to test something.

notaskwid

Last thimg I heard was exclusives don't matter to consoles.

Tecnniqe

Banned
An OS is absolutely not the same as a gaming platform. Microsoft don't need games to convince people to use Windows 10 whatsoever. Third parties do that for them. Again, it makes no sense for them to port all of their exclusives to PC. The only logical reasoning behind wanting them to do that is selfish wishful thinking.

If you own a locked down platform with lets say 1 million sales, but also own a locked down store for a massively used platform with lets say 2 million sales.

Why would you limit it to your system and also not give it to the store?

Of course you can debate sales, but at least for something like Halo, the MCC with all its faults would probably sell like hot cakes. It's been wanted for years.

In my cause I bought a console they sell at a loss (i assume) and bought a game for the console they lost money on me purchasing.
The game i would have purchased had it been on PC, with 100% profit to them. I dont turn on my Xbox anymore after i got tired of using the controller for a shooter.

Many ways to look at it.

I wonder why Microsoft are pathologically committed to not giving PC gamers a proper version of Halo, at least since they used it as a reason to get people to buy Vista.

Given how much they are saying finally being able to use keyboard and mouse is a good feature (which I agree with), why haven't they let you use a keyboard and mouse on the Xbox version of Halo Forge yet?
UWP is the devil, people wouldn't buy proper Halo anyways!

An OS is absolutely not the same as a gaming platform. Microsoft don't need games to convince people to use Windows 10 whatsoever. Third parties do that for them. Again, it makes no sense for them to port all of their exclusives to PC. The only logical reasoning behind wanting them to do that is selfish wishful thinking.

Yeah, but your post didn't say that. And yes, MS wants to convince people to use their new Windows Store, and they are using some of their exclusives as bait for that (Gears Ultimate, Quantum Break, etc)

And that "selfish wishful thinking" stuff? Please...

Surfinn

It's more like I think some people who refuse to buy an Xbox One for whatever reason seen to get precious over expecting Microsoft to release all their games on PC. Which makes zero business sense. If I refuse to buy a WiiU I don't expect Nintendo to release all their games on other platforms so I can play it.

Right and I get this, but you don't have Nintendo promising a better and more valuable commitment to PC gaming year after year.

Almost their entire games lineup for this fall is releasing on Windows.

Halo is, and has been, the franchise PC gamers have been wishing for for decades (simultaneously released) and is MS's crown jewel when it comes to gaming franchises, in terms of sales and value.

I think it would be worth the effort to invest your time/money into delivering to the PC community on this front, especially considering a lot of that functionality is going to already be available soon (Forge).

Do we really think there wouldn't be a huge return for both MS and the PC gaming platform?

Trup1aya

Look from their point of view, what started as a PC game had a ending which well, came out on vista in the end i think? but was inferior to that of the console version. The franchise was never seen again on the Windows platform (looking away from that F2P Russian game and few twin sticks) it is understandable people are getting upset, especially since Microsoft time and time again say they want to support the PC platform but almost never show it and sometimes does the right opposite of what would be considered supporting the PC platform.

I myself own all consoles but playing games at 30-59 fps and shooters none the less with a controller is something i do not enjoy.

Yes, its silly, but their wording on this is also weird "Halo 5 Guardians Edition for Windows 10" with a little "Forge -" in front. I mean surely you could avoid some issues just naming it "Halo Forge coming to Windows 10"

Look from their point of view?
Ok.

Halo hasn't been on PC since Halo2.
Now Halo 5's forge is on PC.

If someone isn't interested in forge or custom games, fine:nothing has changed. So how is announcing this features arrival to PC any more offensive than, not having any Halo on PC at all?

It isn't.

regarding the title, there is no clearer way to put it. If you can't read "Forge - Halo 5 edition" and understand that it's referring to The Halo 5 version of Forge, the issue is reading comprehension, not wording.

Uiki

Right and I get this, but you don't have Nintendo promising a better and more valuable commitment to PC gaming year after year.

Halo is, and has been, the franchise PC gamers have been wishing for for decades (simultaneously released) and is MS's crown jewel when it comes to gaming franchises, in terms of sales and value.

I think it would be worth the effort to invest your time/money into delivering to the PC community on this front, especially considering a lot of that functionality is going to already be available soon (Forge).

Do we really think there wouldn't be a huge return on doing this for MS?

Not now. 5-6 years ago.. maybe. And especially not with UWA in the way.

garyizraw

Banned
Great news , creation on the PC may streamline some innovative maps. However, they might announce the full game for PC at E3? or at least MCC.

Really makes me wonder WTF is going to be at E3 i mean everything is out the bag this year

Sydle

Good of 343 to finally deliver on this, it's been requested for a long time.

All future Forza titles will release on PC. They won't all be like Apex.

Yep and I imagine starting with Halo Wars 2 all future Halo titles will be on PC as well.

That said, I have a feeling in my gut they bring more MP stuff to the PC in the not-so-distant future, specifically Warzone for that req pack money. It would also make sense to increase MAUs.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Good of 343 to finally deliver on this, it's been requested for a long time.

Yep and I imagine starting with Halo Wars 2 all future Halo titles will be on PC as well.

That said, I have a feeling in my gut they bring more MP stuff to the PC before Halo 6, specifically Warzone for that req pack money, in the not so distant future.

But Warzone was the most awesome thing about Halo 5 when i played it.

I dont care for the story as ive already finished it, so a solo Warzone for 20-30 dollars with req packs sounds like a good deal to me.

Will it happen? Ehh

This thread could definitely do with some rad Forge Map Gifs:

5ylkAtn.gif

Trup1aya

They wouldn't be "losing exclusives" they still control the distribution, and will be making all of the money from the software sales.

Wether someone is buying the game on console or PC SHOULD be of little importance... So long as people are buying the game.

Rizific

at first i thought "wtf lol". but then i realized that if you give the pc community tools, they'll make some shit. and within that shit, theres bound to be some good shit to come out of it. then i remembered that its probably UWP, but then i read the word FREE. i dont know, this could definitely be something great.

JaggedSac

Do we really think there wouldn't be a huge return on doing this for MS?

Not sure why you commented me on this. I of course think Halo should be on PC. Shit takes time though. And shit needs to be thought out properly.

But they have Project Centennial for such hard cases.

That thing was not built to convert Bone software to the UWP.

Lucifon

Yeah, but your post didn't say that. And yes, MS wants to convince people to use their new Windows Store, and they are using some of their exclusives as bait for that (Gears Ultimate, Quantum Break, etc)

And that "selfish wishful thinking" stuff? Please...

True I see the store exclusive rationale, but there's a lot of people here who port beg for every major xb1 exclusive simply because they refuse to buy an xb1 for whatever reason, yet can afford a gaming PC. I apologise for the frustration but it does get old pretty quickly.

If you own a locked down platform with lets say 1 million sales, but also own a locked down store for a massively used platform with lets say 2 million sales.

Why would you limit it to your system and also not give it to the store?

Of course you can debate sales, but at least for something like Halo, the MCC with all its faults would probably sell like hot cakes. It's been wanted for years.

In my cause I bought a console they sell at a loss (i assume) and bought a game for the console they lost money on me purchasing.
The game i would have purchased had it been on PC, with 100% profit to them. I dont turn on my Xbox anymore after i got tired of using the controller for a shooter.

Many ways to look at it.

I think something like MCC is very very unlikely to happen. It's such a mishmash of games and studios that it already caused enough problems on a closed system let alone an open one like PCs.

They do sell the XB1 for a profit since launch AFAIK - both Sony and MS did with it being fairly off the shelf parts.

Store exclusive makes sense but annoys a lot of gamers. Kind of damned if you do damned if you don't.

Raide

one closer step to the real thing.

There was a dream a long time ago, to make maps on PC and have they exportable to Xbox. This Windows 10 Forge could be the answer.

I would still love to see more complex level making tools available on PC. I want more access to geometry tools, environmental options and being able to imports prefabs etc. I know some of this is already in the works, so it will be great to see how it developers.

Just need a beta test now!

Surfinn

Not sure why you commented me on this. I of course think Halo should be on PC. Shit takes time though. And shit needs to be thought out properly.

That thing was not built to convert Bone software to the UWP.

I think my point was that Halo is what people want most so technically they could release almost all other titles but this franchise is what PC gamers want the most. Not to say those other releases wouldn't be worthwhile or meaningful, but it's sort of like the difference is like getting a bunch of SW spinoff movies without anymore main episodes.

You all know it wont be released until OCT.

This must have been an e3 announcement cut and made earlier to make room for something else.

JaggedSac

I think my point was that Halo is what people want most so technically they could release almost all other titles but this franchise is what PC gamers want the most. Not to say those other releases wouldn't be worthwhile or meaningless, but it's sort of like the difference is like getting a bunch of SW spinoff movies without anymore main episodes.

Halo will come to PC in a full game. It might not be until there is a new full Halo game though. Who knows. Phil already said they weren't interested in bringing already released games to the platform. Which is why we are seeing most of their announced games as being released on Windows and no already released games getting ported that didn't already have a port announced.

Not now. 5-6 years ago.. maybe. And especially not with UWA in the way.

This doesn't make any sense. How would the underlying platform hinder 343i's ability to develop and monetize the game? In fact, there are built in API's for Windows Store interaction in the UWP including IAPs, Xbox Live services, Matchmaking, and pretty much everything a company like 343i would need to create Halo 5/6/whatever on top of the platform.

If you're referring to UWPs current lack of modding you should know that App extensions are coming in the next update:

App Extensions: UWP now supports app extensibility allowing you to build an ecosystem based on your application. Microsoft Edge uses this technology for its own extensions.

Surfinn

Halo will come to PC in a full game. It might not be until there is a new full Halo game though. Who knows. Phil already said they weren't interested in bringing already released games to the platform. Which is why we are seeing most of their announced games as being released on Windows and no already released games getting ported that didn't already have a port announced.

Yeah, that makes sense. What wouldn't make sense though is more Halo games not releasing on PC at the same time as Xbox. So hopefully they follow through.

LordRaptor

This is hilarious; you can almost see the Xbox division squirming under the shareholders Eye Of Sauron and throwing out anything they can to try and appease them while trying not to pawn off their crown jewels in the process.

True I see the store exclusive rationale, but there's a lot of people here who port beg for every major xb1 exclusive simply because they refuse to buy an xb1 for whatever reason, yet can afford a gaming PC. I apologise for the frustration but it does get old pretty quickly.

I'm sure every Xbox One owner would take it with good grace if Half Life 3 was announced tomorrow for PC, and Xbox One owners got a map making app for it but not the game those maps are meant to be played on.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Knowing MS, there's a big chance that this won't happen. The fun part is that we have MS PR people here telling us that porting stuff is really hard, etc and then other MS PR people throw around UWP saying that one of its biggest benefits is the ability to quickly port games from Xbone to PC or viceversa. I mean, who are we supposed to believe?

Yeah, because Nintendo makes the OS that the majority of PC gamers use... Oh, wait, they don't and your comparison is apples to oranges.

I'm not PR people, and porting that game and its content retroactively, with no symmetrical tools or systems accounted for IS hard. Porting WITH those things in mind and tools in place IS easy (relatively).

Top Bottom