• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Forge coming to Windows 10 later this year

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This thread could definitely do with some rad Forge Map Gifs:

5ylkAtn.gif

JUUUUMMMMPIIIINGGG FLASH!!!!

shoreu

This is hilarious; you can almost see the Xbox division squirming under the shareholders Eye Of Sauron and throwing out anything they can to try and appease them while trying not to pawn off their crown jewels in the process.

I'm sure every Xbox One owner would take it with good grace if Half Life 3 was announced tomorrow for PC, and Xbox One owners got a map making app for it but not the game those maps are meant to be played on.

Lol I wouldn't care one bit god help me I can't play half life.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not PR people, and porting that game and its content retroactively, with no symmetrical tools or systems accounted for IS hard. Porting WITH those things in mind and tools in place IS easy (relatively).

That's exactly what a PR people would say!

JaggedSac

I'm sure every Xbox One owner would take it with good grace if Half Life 3 was announced tomorrow for PC, and Xbox One owners got a map making app for it but not the game those maps are meant to be played on.

I guess that would be a similar scenario, if Half Life 3 didn't release on XBox One, the PC map making community frequently requested to be able to create maps on the XBox One, and that map making tool was released a year later on the XBox One.

This is hilarious; you can almost see the Xbox division squirming under the shareholders Eye Of Sauron and throwing out anything they can to try and appease them while trying not to pawn off their crown jewels in the process.

Here's a thought: maybe this was a highly requested feature and so 343's forge team did it.

But nah, it's just evil M$ giving the finger to PC gamers and saying "you wanted Halo on PC? Here's forge MUHAHAHAHA"

OneUh8

So you read this...and you can't help but feel a full halo 5 client for win 10 is coming right behind this...why would they go through the trouble to have multiple resolutions including 4k if just for forging

I sure hope so. Halo 5 on PC would be amazing.

Uiki

This doesn't make any sense. How would the underlying platform hinder 343i's ability to develop and monetize the game? In fact, there are built in API's for Windows Store interaction in the UWP including IAPs, Xbox Live services, Matchmaking, and pretty much everything a company like 343i would need to create Halo 5/6/whatever on top of the platform.

If you're referring to UWPs current lack of modding you should know that App extensions are coming in the next update:

We will see how many pc gamers are gonna buy it on UWA format (IF it comes to pc), then.

LewieP

I'm not PR people, and porting that game and its content retroactively, with no symmetrical tools or systems accounted for IS hard. Porting WITH those things in mind and tools in place IS easy (relatively).

So MS PR statements saying that Windows 10 makes porting Xbox games very very easy (without any qualifications about tools or systems) are misleading? I had just taken them at face value up until now.

KingBroly

Banned
Seems to me that Microsoft is taking slices of XBO games and putting them on PC (when they can) to entice PC players to buy an XBO. Seems kinda patronizing to me.

wwm0nkey

So MS PR statements saying that Windows 10 makes porting Xbox games very very easy (without any qualifications about tools or systems) are misleading? I had just taken them at face value up until now.

I think it is easy IF you built it when the Xbox switched its OS, MCC and Halo 5 were not built when that happened.

Shifty

All these "but it's hard to port" arguments are missing one salient point- it's fucking Microsoft. If they wanted to do it, they'd throw money at it until it happened, UWP or otherwise.

We will see how many pc gamers are gonna buy it on UWA format (IF it comes to pc), then.

A lot? Did you even read the front page? People are begging for Halo on PC. And they're right, it's a great game, and PC gamers deserve it being on PC.

I think you're very confused about what is and isn't on the UWP right now. I'm not saying it won't happen, but Halo 5 was not designed or developed on the UWP. They are quite likely using legacy Xbox APIs.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/733331895606378496

LordRaptor

Seems to me that Microsoft is taking slices of XBO games and putting them on PC (when they can) to entice PC players to buy an XBO. Seems kinda patronizing to me.

I see it more as the entire corporate structure is supposed to be backing Windows 10 front and centre, and that includes the Xbox division.
This is the Xbox divisions attempt to avoid harder questions - like "what the fuck is your actual purpose, now?" - by throwing out some bones, while trying not to make Xbox One owners throw a tantrum.

JaggedSac

The UWP is designed to make cross platform development easier. One has to first get the software running on the UWP for that to matter. Halo 5 was not developed as a UWP. Thus, the ease of UWP cross platform development does not apply to Halo 5. Does that make sense to you?

Finaj

All these "but it's hard to port" arguments are missing one salient point- it's fucking Microsoft. If they wanted to do it, they'd throw money at it until it happened, UWP or otherwise.

Microsoft Game Studios isn't necessarily as well funded as the rest of the company.

wwm0nkey

The UWP is designed to make cross platform development easier. One has to first get the software running on the UWP for that to matter. Halo 5 was not developed as a UWP. Thus, the ease of UWP cross platform development does not apply to Halo 5. Does that make sense to you?
Which also goes along with why Phil is thinking about Future games and not past games

Stinkles

lolwat?

Halo 5 development began more than three years ago, before UWP existed, and further was a massive overhaul of an engine that still has some legacy code and elements going more than a decade back before that. It has zero relation to the scenario you describe.

JaggedSac

lolwat?

Halo 5 development began more than three years ago, before UWP existed, and further was a massive overhaul of an engine that still has some legacy code and elements going more than a decade back before that. It has zero relation to the scenario you describe.

Just curious, was the team expecting this sort of response to this announcement?

Warxard

Banned
The moment i saw this thread I immediately knew that the reception was going to be anything but positive. Lose-lose scenario.

Better creation tools for the forge community? was that the purpose? Too bad normal people don't care about Forge and just want to play Halo on their platform.

I'll use it because I love the Forge tools but, man, this sort of announcement just doesn't come off as anything good overall. Caters to an very small fraction of Halo's audience.

LowSignal

This is a tool to help people use forge. Forge is great on X1 but will be even better with the mouse and keyboard at my desk. It's a added free feature, whats wrong with that?

LewieP

lolwat?

OK. I've been waiting to finish the fight since 2007. I can wait some more.

I wasn't referring to UWP by the way. MS PR has specifically said that Windows 10 makes it easy to port native Xbox One games to PC.

I do not believe for a second that Microsoft don't have the resources to port a game to PC. It's a deliberate decision rather than a question of inability to deliver a port, and has been for the entire Halo series since 1/2 released for PC.

Obviously MS are within their rights to do this, I understand the strategic reasons why they would withhold Halo from PC gamers, but lets not pretend there is anything else going on.

Stinkles

Just curious, was the team expecting this sort of response to this announcement?

I certainly was.

We have to work on things that are sustainable for the studio, and make sense for long term planning. This is something we wanted to do for Xbox One forgers for a long time and is of course an extension of the existing suite. This is a sustain beat for Halo 5 on Xbox One. It's certainly a big bonus that PC creators and players will get to play around in that sandbox, but that's not really the primary purpose of the tool.

We knew there'd be latent demands for a full version of the game (as there have been since H2 on Vista), but neither the time nor the finances make sense this far along the calendar. Halo Wars 2 will be a more palatable and straightforward example of the fact that we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio.

Pooya

They have this content creation tool in the game but making things on a controller is awkward, so they are building a better one with more precise input methods where you can sit behind a desk for hours and make content more efficiently and somehow that's offensive. right, kids these days.

RowdyReverb

OK. I've been waiting to finish the fight since 2007. I can wait some more.

I wasn't referring to UWP by the way. MS PR has specifically said that Windows 10 makes it easy to port native Xbox One games to PC.

I do not believe for a second that Microsoft don't have the resources to port a game to PC. It's a deliberate decision rather than a question of inability to deliver a port, and has been for the entire Halo series since 1/2 released for PC.

Obviously MS are within their rights to do this, I understand the strategic reasons why they would withhold Halo from PC gamers, but lets not pretend there is anything else going on.
The impression I got was that it would be easy for apps to deploy on PC and Xbox, but I don't recall them saying much about porting games. Maybe I just don't follow this stuff as closely though

Warxard

Banned
This is a tool to help people use forge. Forge is great on X1 but will be even better with the mouse and keyboard at my desk. It's a added free feature, whats wrong with that?

Makes' MS initiative on PC gaming even more backwards by putting a segment of a very demanded game on their platform that most people can't be assed to use anyway due to how backwards it is.

Glass

Havn't done much forging myself with the controller, but will absolutely start once this is released. Can't wait to see this game at a decent resolution, literally the only downside about H5 forge is the fidelity.

Shifty

Microsoft Game Studios isn't necessarily as well funded as the rest of the company.

Fair point, but ultimately that comes down to strategy. If their approach involved doing an all-titles blitz of the PC platform, there's nothing to stop the distribution of funds from changing in order to make it happen.

On a different note, I feel like it's worth noting that zero specifics were given in regard to gameplay. As in, being able to actually jump into your forge map and test it using Halo 5 game mechanics.

This could just be a level editor intended to deploy maps to XBO for all we know. It would be a ridiculous notion, yes, but MS' PC efforts aren't exactly above that...

Anyway, if it does have gameplay functionality, then the Halo 5 engine is already being ported to PC in order to run it, just sans campaign assets and MP maps. No way they'd reimplement everything from the ground up just to power a fancy level editor.

Trup1aya

If EA and Ubi can make money selling games on there stores, there's no reason to think MS couldn't making money selling Halo in theirs.

obviously Halo would sell better on Steam. But there's no reason to think it wouldn't be successful in the Win10 store, so long as it's a good port. MS would be enjoying a 100% cut of the revenues too.

Welfare

Makes' MS initiative on PC gaming even more backwards by putting a segment of a very demanded game on their platform that most people can't be assed to use anyway due to how backwards it is.

Nope, this is pretty forward. This will help forgers and possibly bring in new talent because of it being a free Win10 app.

You're getting Halo Wars 2 on PC day 1 with the XB1 release, is that backwards?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I certainly was.

We have to work on things that are sustainable for the studio, and make sense for long term planning. This is something we wanted to do for Xbox One forgers for a long time and is of course an extension of the existing suite. This is a sustain beat for Halo 5 on Xbox One. It's certainly a big bonus that PC creators and players will get to play around in that sandbox, but that's not really the primary purpose of the tool.

We knew there'd be latent demands for a full version of the game (as there have been since H2 on Vista), but neither the time nor the finances make sense this far along the calendar. Halo Wars 2 will be a more palatable and straightforward example of the fact that we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio.

I am very happy Halo Wars 2 was announced for PC, I am however curious how it will work out as it is on console too (micro and general control structure of the game) due to having controller support.

It does truly look like a step in the right direction that Microsoft have been saying the last couple of years.
Time will tell, but it sure is a start.

I guess E3 will tell us more about the future, at least for some upcoming games this year from Microsoft and their Xbox teams.

Edit: I also hope a lot of the issues with the store is fixed at this point, allowing more possibilities to tinker the game to our liking. Options for true fullscreen, borderless window and so on while also supporting SLI and whatnot properly.

Top Bottom