• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Forge coming to Windows 10 later this year

MCD

I agree. However for folks wondering why we don't "just" port the whole game - realtalk:

While I personally believe it's an evergreen masterpiece of whimsy and wonder, it would be a year old by the time Forge released, and given the architecture, cloud, matchmaking, etc etc etc etc differences between platforms, it would be neither trivial to port, nor uncompromised in that process, given it was designed with targeted Xbox One perf in mind to begin with.

Both audiences deserve better than that, as you'll see with Halo Wars 2 onwards, which was designed with Xbox AND PC in mind from scratch and makes the most of each platform's relative strengths.

At least port MCC. Despite it's mountain of issues, PC deserves a collection of sorts as a starter.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I agree. However for folks wondering why we don't "just" port the whole game - realtalk:

While I personally believe it's an evergreen masterpiece of whimsy and wonder, it would be a year old by the time Forge released, and given the architecture, cloud, matchmaking, etc etc etc etc differences between platforms, it would be neither trivial to port, nor uncompromised in that process, given it was designed with targeted Xbox One perf in mind to begin with.

Both audiences deserve better than that, as you'll see with Halo Wars 2 onwards, which was designed with Xbox AND PC in mind from scratch and makes the most of each platform's relative strengths.

RIP the dream.

Looking forward to the future though.

kulapik

Halo 6 coming to PC confirmed /s

Trup1aya

This. Thank you. Not that difficult to understand. I understand the benefits of releasing this on PC, but it's a huge slap in the face (unintentionally) to those who want this franchise to release on time via Windows.

MS says they want to properly support PC gaming and bringing Halo on board would be a fantastic way to deliver on that commitment.

People throw terms like "slap in the face" around too freely. If this news offends you, then you are overly sensitive. This isn't offensive at all. Forgers get a better way to forge. Console gamers get better maps PC users can play halo via custom games.

The whole "give me Halo 5 in full or give me nothing" idea is silly. This shouldn't be ruining anyone's day.

Surfinn

I think it would be a damn good investment developing future Halo titles for Xbox and PC simultaneously. There's tremendous potential to create a brand new community on the Windows platform and make a ton of money doing so.

What about The Master Chief Collection? PC fans have been eagly waiting for Halo 3 since Halo 2's PC port and porting the entire collection allows for PC players to catch up with the franchise.

Nokterian

Keyboard & Mouse Support – For the first time ever, Forgers will have the option of using a keyboard & mouse allowing for more precision control than ever before.

This is like every dream for every pc gamer...i wonder how far microsoft is walking behind in pc gaming? Like a decade at least.

Jesus, the negativity I'm reading. It's free and for those who spend most their time Forging in Halo 5. Anyways, this is great news! I see how much time people put in Forge. So, I hope this makes it an easier and more enjoyable experience for them.

LewieP

I am conflicted on whether to believe this post, or the PR statements Microsoft have made saying that it is really really easy to port an Xbox game to Windows 10.

Why was Halo 5 not planned for PC from the start? It's not like PC gaming is a new thing.

Good for you, I mean it, really. But it's also a slap in the face for all the absolutely gigantic amount of people that would love to play actual Halo 5 on PC, and now they can just toy with the map creation tool.
Lol dude xbox isnt even worth a 1/100th of MS they have a set amount of funding and answer to many people.

Figured that was the case after Phil was quoted about not wanting to "look back". Excited to see how things progress going forward though - Halo Wars 2 forge could be fantastic!

What about The Master Chief Collection? PC fans have been eagly waiting for Halo 3 since Halo 2's PC port and porting the entire collection allows for PC players to catch up with the franchise.

Hold out hope for MCC v2 with Blur cut-scenes for Halo 3.

Please make this happen 343. Someone has to fix Hood's face!

Sou Da

You're not wrong but technically it wouldn't be the entire collection anymore.

Uzzy

I am conflicted on whether to believe this post, or the PR statements Microsoft have made saying that it is really really easy to port an Xbox game to Windows 10.

Why was Halo 5 not planned for PC from the start? It's not like PC gaming is a new thing.

Mouse and Keyboard support really takes an eternity to put into a game though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
People throw terms like "slap in the face" around too freely. If this news offends you, then you are overly sensitive. This isn't offensive at all. Forgers get a better way to forge. Console gamers get better maps PC users can play halo via custom games.

The whole "give me Halo 5 in full or give me nothing" idea is silly. This shouldn't be ruining anyone's day.

This is like every dream for every pc gamer...i wonder how far microsoft is walking behind in pc gaming? Like a decade at least.

Um.

I don't know how to tell you this?

But that feature?

It's not being advertised as some massive boon for PC gamers.

It's for Forgers who have been clamoring for a PC version of Forge precisely because of the increased precision KBM brings to the table.

Not everything is about you, and not everything is about PC gamers.

I just want to play Combat Evolved again.

And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again. (<-- this one pronounced like a Canadian)

Tecnniqe

Banned
People throw terms like "slap in the face" around to freely. If this news offends you, then you are overly sensitive. This isn't offensive at all. Forgers get a better way to forge. PC users can play halo via custom games.

The whole "give me Halo 5 in full or give me nothing" idea is silly

Look from their point of view, what started as a PC game had a ending which well, came out on vista in the end i think? but was inferior to that of the console version. The franchise was never seen again on the Windows platform (looking away from that F2P Russian game and few twin sticks) it is understandable people are getting upset, especially since Microsoft time and time again say they want to support the PC platform but almost never show it and sometimes does the right opposite of what would be considered supporting the PC platform.

I myself own all consoles but playing games at 30-59 fps and shooters none the less with a controller is something i do not enjoy.

Yes, its silly, but their wording on this is also weird "Halo 5 Guardians Edition for Windows 10" with a little "Forge -" in front. I mean surely you could avoid some issues just naming it "Halo Forge coming to Windows 10"

Surfinn

People throw terms like "slap in the face" around to freely. If this news offends you, then you are overly sensitive. This isn't offensive at all. Forgers get a better way to forge. PC users can play halo via custom games.

The whole "give me Halo 5 in full or give me nothing" idea is silly

Sounds like some people are being overly sensitive over "slap in the face". If it makes you feel better I can use a different term like "continuing to leave the PC platform behind after committing to improving in this area" if it makes you feel any better.

Slap in the face is the same as that for me. No one is being overly sensitive but the people who are taking it that way.

No one said it's offensive. I also said "inadvertently" from the beginning.

Back to my point.. ugh..

MS, why not just commit and support like you've been promising for years and make a ton of profit while doing so? Seems like an easy decision to make.

Look from their point of view, what started as a PC game had a ending which well, came out on vista in the end i think? but was inferior to that of the console version. The franchise was never seen again on the Windows platform (looking away from that F2P Russian game and few twin sticks) it is understandable people are getting upset, especially since Microsoft time and time again say they want to support the PC platform but almost never show it and sometimes does the right opposite of what would be considered supporting the PC platform.

I myself own all consoles but playing games at 30-59 fps and shooters none the less with a controller is something i do not enjoy.

Yes, its silly, but their wording on this is also weird "Halo 5 Guardians Edition for Windows 10" with a little "Forge -" in front. I mean surely you could avoid some issues just naming it "Halo Forge coming to Windows 10"

But that is literally the title.

Were that the case, surely they could just add keyboard and mouse support to the Xbox version?

Maybe?

Why do you ask? The whole point is that they haven't, and thus, the bullet point about being able to forge with KBM. This is a New Thing for forgers.

Sounds pretty neat, and I'd like to pick it up and screw around with it when it releases. I know a lot of the folks in this thread are disappointed that it isn't a full H5 release, and I don't have an xb1 so I suppose that would put me in that camp, but I can't honestly believe that 343 would go through all the trouble of porting what is arguably the most difficult part of the game (since it would have to be not just the level editor but everything that goes along with it, which means all the game logic, a lot of the art assets, everything you need to run it at parity with the xb1 game) and not end up releasing the rest of the game later on down the line on W10.

I'm calling it. Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition For Windows 10 this year, Halo 5: Guardians Edition For Windows 10 next year.

JaggedSac

Sounds like some people are being overly sensitive over "slap in the face". If it makes you feel better I can use a different term like "continuing to leave the PC platform behind after committing to improving in this area" if it makes you feel any better.

Slap in the face is the same as that for me. No one is being overly sensitive but the people who are taking it that way.

Back to my point.. ugh..

MS, why not just commit and support like you've been promising for years and make a ton of profit while doing so? Seems like an easy decision to make.

Almost their entire games lineup for this fall is releasing on Windows.

You massive fucking tease.

E:

lol no calm down. Only referring to HW2 at this time.

Aww.

Lucifon

Back to my point.. ugh..

It's more like I think some people who refuse to buy an Xbox One for whatever reason seen to get precious over expecting Microsoft to release all their games on PC. Which makes zero business sense. If I refuse to buy a WiiU I don't expect Nintendo to release all their games on other platforms so I can play it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Divide that by 2 and we have Halo 3.5, ODST confirmed!

Halo 3 Anniversary confirmed for PC!

MwO7Umn.gif

LewieP

It's more like I think some people who refuse to buy an Xbox One for whatever reason seen to get precious over expecting Microsoft to release all their games on PC. Which makes zero business sense. If I refuse to buy a WiiU I don't expect Nintendo to release all their games on other platforms so I can play it.

No one is asking Microsoft to release their games on non-Microsoft platforms, and the expectation only arose because Microsoft went out of their way to tell people to expect Microsoft games on Windows. Repeatedly.

Sounds pretty neat, and I'd like to pick it up and screw around with it when it releases. I know a lot of the folks in this thread are disappointed that it isn't a full H5 release, and I don't have an xb1 so I suppose that would put me in that camp, but I can't honestly believe that 343 would go through all the trouble of porting what is arguably the most difficult part of the game (since it would have to be not just the level editor but everything that goes along with it, which means all the game logic, a lot of the art assets, everything you need to run it at parity with the xb1 game) and not end up releasing the rest of the game later on down the line on W10.

I'm calling it. Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition For Windows 10 this year, Halo 5: Guardians Edition For Windows 10 next year.

Knowing MS, there's a big chance that this won't happen. The fun part is that we have MS PR people here telling us that porting stuff is really hard, etc and then other MS PR people throw around UWP saying that one of its biggest benefits is the ability to quickly port games from Xbone to PC or viceversa. I mean, who are we supposed to believe?

Yeah, because Nintendo makes the OS that the majority of PC gamers use... Oh, wait, they don't and your comparison is apples to oranges.

Top Bottom