• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite delayed to 2021, Series X still launching November

Grinchy

Banned
Right...it's because of the virus...and not because of the fact that they clearly started over not very long ago and what they showed us was barely stitched together at the last second and looked like a 360 game running in an emulator.

Let's just say it's for the well-being of our staff and get the same people eating up our PR who believed in scalability, no generations, we don't compete with Sony and Nintendo, ect to help paint us as the good guys for this horribly-managed development :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony delays games it’s for the good of the game, and yes it happens all the time. Microsoft delays a game it’s a disaster?
It's what happens when you have a lot of quality first-party studios and offer a lot of quality games, that if one is delayed it doesn't matter. But when most of your studies are mediocre and you depend on a single game for your console to have a good launch ... well, if it is delayed it is terrible news for the brand.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I really can't believe this. What is their launch lineup going to look like now? Plus WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH LOCKHART?!?!

The Xbone version of the game will be flat out unnecessary if Xcloud is as good as they're saying it is. You could just play the XsX version from the Xbone instead of a gimped experience running natively.

This is what I've been saying MS should do for cross-gen the whole time: just let XBO owners play the next-gen versions streamed. Hell, I would even extend this to Series S if it's a game specifically designed to fully leverage the Series X in ways that may not scale easily downward.

The money they put towards native ports for XBO could be better served funding AAA games, or more AA games, or next-gen marketing. Even towards securing some 3rd-party major AAA exclusives, those would all probably be better uses of those funds.

Perrott

so you only listen to music that gets MTV Music awards then and you think that music is worthy of praise?

awards, especially in gaming, mean nothing. game reviewers are absolutely worthless when it comes to critiquing games
So are you saying that a perfectly crafted game such as The Last Of Us 2 doesn't deserve all the praise it gets from the critics?

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Imagine if a Nintendo launch game, like Zelda, was delayed out of launch. Between this and Apple singlehandedly blowing up xCloud, Microsoft is having a rough time out there.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Something that I almost forgot about that should be noted too is the backwards compatibility.
That's HUGE for a new console on day 1.
Especially if you didn't own a console this generation or if you owned a PS4 but want a XsX this gen.
Literally the only reason I'm buying the XsX day one.

GHG

Gold Member
Right...it's because of the virus...and not because of the fact that they clearly started over not very long ago and what they showed us was barely stitched together at the last second and looked like a 360 game running in an emulator.

Let's just say it's for the well-being of our staff and get the same people eating up our PR who believed in scalability, no generations, we don't compete with Sony and Nintendo, ect to help paint us as the good guys for this horribly-managed development :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thankfully it's looking like most people are finally starting to see through the bullshit.

This game is been in development for 5 years. WTF have they been doing? This can't just be COVID related. What a huge blow to the Series X, I don't care what the price of that console is, it has no killer app at launch.

Bankai

This is devastating news for Xbox. No AAA title to go along with the console launch whatsoever ever. It’s a damn shame.

I’ll probably check our Series X after a year or 2, when some good games have actually been released. No need to buy it now - at all.

The series X was supposed to be a redemption story man. I’m disappointed.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
lol, Naughty Dog is a mediocre studio (at best)

also they didn't "farm it out" they built a new Studio from the ground up.

This is one of the most sad statements I have ever seen . I understand being bias or a fanboy or whatever, I also understand not liking ND games design or philosophy or agenda, but labeling one of the best and technically competent gaming studios in the world as mediocre is just sad at this point.
Dude they just made a 95 metacritic game last month and they produced at least 3 or 4 GOTY contenders in the last 10 years, something the entirety of MS gaming studios couldn't do.

I know you might be hurt by this news, I think personally its better decision than releasing Halo in its current state. Take a breath, Xbox will be fine*
*Last place as usual

Vawn

Banned
This is one of the most sad statements I have ever seen . I understand being bias or a fanboy or whatever, I also understand not liking ND games design or philosophy or agenda, but labeling one of the best and technically competent gaming studios in the world as mediocre is just sad at this point.
Dude they just made a 95 metacritic game last month and they produced at least 3 or 4 GOTY contenders in the last 10 years, something the entirety of MS gaming studios couldn't do.

I know you might be hurt by this news, I think personally its better decision than releasing Halo in its current state. Take a breath, Xbox will be fine*
*Last place as usual

They just are disqualifying themselves and showing their bias and ignorance with comments like these.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is devastating news for Xbox. No AAA title to go along with the console launch whatsoever ever. It’s a damn shame.

I’ll probably check our Series X after a year or 2, when some good games have actually been released. No need to buy it now - at all.

The series X was supposed to be a redemption story man. In disappointed.

I thought Xbox One X was a redemption story, it's a great little box. And XSX looked like it was the same sort of philosophy, until, you know, until they had to start showing games then it all fell apart.

I get their whole strategy about GamePass, cross-platform - I think they're good ideas. But a new console has to deliver, and it's like the only thing MS has to sell gamers is the bullet point of specs on the back. It's bad.

Perrott

it doesn't. the game design aspects are pure mediocrity
What? The Last Of Us Part II has the best encounter design in any action game of it's kind; a perfectly crafted world from a level design perspective which at the same time results believable within it's setting; greatly improved gunplay and controls compared to it's predecessor; tons of systems to play with; and an engaging gameplay loop.

How is any of that mediocre design?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Delay the console.

Let Sony have Christmas, and launch hard in Spring with a much better, more cohesive marketing strategy.

LostDonkey

No its not. There are no details for FS 2020 on consoles yet.

And when did Forza get announced for February?

Rzt1IPo.gif

Imagine if a Nintendo launch game, like Zelda, was delayed out of launch. Between this and Apple singlehandedly blowing up xCloud, Microsoft is having a rough time out there.
It is much worse, a Zelda has a TOP team behind it that guarantees an excellent game. Here we have 343 a very low quality studio that has spent 5 years working on a game that looks pretty horrible ... it is impossible for them to correct all the 5 year work in one year.

I am very happy for this. This was my most anticipated game besides FF 7 Remake, Animal Crossing New Horizons and Half Life Alyx. It needed the delay. Now will launch with raytracing. Thank the MS gods hearing our prayers.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
As a Halo fan this is nothing but good.

So series X launches without Halo and PS5 with spiderman dlc and neither with. A price tag.
Yeah, I'm still buying both at launch because I'm an idiot, but their launch line ups are looking incredibly weak even by console launch standards. I'll probably just end up picking up a few multiplatform games for each as nothing "exclusive" really excites me.

Last edited:
Despite the fact that the console loses its killer app for launch, I still think it's the wise call to make.

Besides, given the economic environment we are in, and with likely supply issues, I doubt that this year's launches will be as important to the success of the new consoles.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's what happens when you have a lot of quality first-party studios and offer a lot of quality games, that if one is delayed it doesn't matter. But when most of your studies are mediocre and you depend on a single game for your console to have a good launch ... well, if it is delayed it is terrible news for the brand.
A delayed game can become a good game

Series X was never destined to sell big compared to PS5 and now it will do even worse. So sticking with One X and PS5 till MS gets back on track properly

Last edited:
Top Bottom