• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Dunkey Review

Plantoid

I'm a Xbox fan, but I don't agree, halo infinite (imho) feels like a 8,5 game

It has lots of good stuff but also lots of bad stuff in it

For me, fh5 is the best game Ms launched lately

But I'm looking forward for next year, it's PACKED

Topher

Gold Member
This game would have been rated at 79 on metacritic if not for all the bias microsoft outlets reviews giving it a 100/100

Nah....that is not accurate. Take away all the review sites on metacritic with names that are associated with MS or Xbox and re-average it and it might drop a point, but that's it. Either way, I only see one site aligned with MS that gave the game a perfect score of 100/100 and that was Windows Central.

This is a clear example of people wanting a game to be more than what it was due to the ‘politics’ surrounding it. People screaming this is the BOTW halo were full of complete and utter shit.

Wait......politics? What politics?

Last edited:
This game would have been rated at 79 on metacritic if not for all the bias microsoft outlets reviews giving it a 100/100

This is a clear example of people wanting a game to be more than what it was due to the ‘politics’ surrounding it. People screaming this is the BOTW halo were full of complete and utter shit.

The review outlets were acting like Halo pretty much invented grappling hooks

79 without Xbox outlets score? I wonder about that. It's lowest MC score was 70 and it only received 4 neutral scores in total. Which other outlets are the biased Microsoft outlets? Or are you just declaring anyone that did enjoy the game is a Microsoft shill? A green rat perhaps? Should we declare the three 70 ratings also don't count since they must be anti-Xbox or some shit?

There were 93 reviews total and the bulk of the Halo Infinite reviews are in the 85-90 range with twenty six 90 reviews. I removed all Xbox-only outlets from the total review score and got the new average (Windows Central (100), Generacion Xbox (99), SomosXbox (98) XboxAddict (95) Xbox Tavern (93) MondoXbox (90), Pure Xbox (90), XGN (85), TheXboxHub (80)).

With those removed the average score moves from 87 to... 87 (rounded down).

The user reviews sit at 8.5 despite the 450ish people that declared the game was a 3 or lower. It's rated Very Positive on Steam, maybe people just enjoyed the game?

G-DannY

Ah don't worry then if it's just you personally you can understand that alot of other people do give a shit, so it is a problem.

As its just you "PERSONALLY" that does not.

Couple this with it ruining big team battle, limited map selection, and no "fun" modes, no forge, no coop, no firefight, no infection, no heavy etc etc its just a bit shit really.
try harder

79 without Xbox outlets score? I wonder about that. It's lowest MC score was 70 and it only received 4 neutral scores in total. Which other outlets are the biased Microsoft outlets? Or are you just declaring anyone that did enjoy the game is a Microsoft shill? A green rat perhaps? Should we declare the three 70 ratings also don't count since they must be anti-Xbox or some shit?

There were 93 reviews total and the bulk of the Halo Infinite reviews are in the 85-90 range with twenty six 90 reviews. I removed all Xbox-only outlets from the total review score and got the new average (Windows Central (100), Generacion Xbox (99), SomosXbox (98) XboxAddict (95) Xbox Tavern (93) MondoXbox (90), Pure Xbox (90), XGN (85), TheXboxHub (80)).

With those removed the average score moves from 87 to... 87 (rounded down).

The user reviews sit at 8.5 despite the 450ish people that declared the game was a 3 or lower. It's rated Very Positive on Steam, maybe people just enjoyed the game?

I guess I’m wrong this time.

IzlBct.gif

I’ll just concede that Halo is just not for me

Last edited:

MikeM

I’m not a halo guy at all even though I bought the Halo Series X. I always thought the games were meh.
Infinite on the other hand is a fantastic beast. I’m basically a half-assed spider-man with guns, a shield and a millennial for an AI. Like!

LordOfChaos

I’m not a halo guy at all even though I bought the Halo Series X. I always thought the games were meh.
Infinite on the other hand is a fantastic beast. I’m basically a half-assed spider-man with guns, a shield and a millennial for an AI. Like!

She might be borderline Gen Z

Us Millennials are getting old and crotchety, man

LordOfChaos

I loved the campaign, but I really would have liked it better without the Cortana stuff.

I think they pretty well dealt with it as minimally as they had to given where they left things off in Guardians.

At least it was nowhere near that bad. When she choke-cried in Guardians I nearly barfed.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Every first party game has a portion of reviews shilling it from websites with the console name on their website. The Xbox centric reviews represent a small portion of the 96 reviews. And there were sites like PCGamer giving Battlefield 2042 a higher rating than Halo Infinite, bias happens both ways. Real bias happened with Cyberpunk when they gave 2 days to review and only supplied PC codes. 343i gave review codes weeks and sometimes a whole month in advance. Everyone and their mother got a review code.

Halo infinite MP is the imo the best arena shooter to date.

The campaign is also pretty great. Yet no coop and to an extent the lack of biome diversity does hurt it. I don’t agree with enemy variety being a problem when some games you fight just humans period. Just seems like an excuse to criticise the game.

But, after all that, I can’t help but feel that if 343 were a competent studio, this game would have been even more.

The only made one of the best games ever, but "if 343 were a competent studio"

A whole lotta hutzpah on the internet lol.

Please search out a first person shooter campaign that possesses a grappling hook that grants players the level of freedom of exploration and gameplay the Halo Infinite one does. They may not have invented a grappling hook, but they sure as fuck did it way better than other games. It's okay to give credit.

And conveniently I rarely hear the same bs about all the bias Sony outlet reviews giving their games 100/100 or 10/10s. That crap goes both ways, and it's even more lopsided in favor of the Playstation brand. Do not kid yourself here. Did you actually believe you were getting totally fair and totally unbiased review scores from all these websites for years? They're bombarded with heavy bias, favoritism and console warriors propping up their side or knocking down platforms and genres they hate. Notice how every game even actually warrants a review from a lot of sites? I already know for a fact what specific Playstation releases will see for their overall meta without fail before release solely based on the pre-release hype, and how good the it all looks. Many games can earn their meta simply by just not launching in fully broken states half of the time if they got gamers excited for them.

I laugh at anyone who seriously thought they were ever getting fair or fully unbiased reviews from many of these websites.

Yeah, and it could have been even better if 343 were better.

Get over it man

You're not remotely qualified to assess their ability, and likely play every new Call of Duty every year, so that says all we ever need to know about your standards for quality.

Topher

Gold Member
Please search out a first person shooter campaign that possesses a grappling hook that grants players the level of freedom of exploration and gameplay the Halo Infinite one does. They may not have invented a grappling hook, but they sure as fuck did it way better than other games. It's okay to give credit.

And conveniently I rarely hear the same bs about all the bias Sony outlet reviews giving their games 100/100 or 10/10s. That crap goes both ways, and it's even more lopsided in favor of the Playstation brand. Do not kid yourself here. Did you actually believe you were getting totally fair and totally unbiased review scores from all these websites for years? They're bombarded with heavy bias, favoritism and console warriors propping up their side or knocking down platforms and genres they hate. Notice how every game even actually warrants a review from a lot of sites? I already know for a fact what specific Playstation releases will see for their overall meta without fail before release solely based on the pre-release hype, and how good the it all looks. Many games can earn their meta simply by just not launching in fully broken states half of the time if they got gamers excited for them.

I laugh at anyone who seriously thought they were ever getting fair or fully unbiased reviews from many of these websites.

Biased reviews from sites aligned with specific console brands has been the subject of conversation many many times. It isn't "rare" regardless of whether we are talking about Xbox, Nintendo, or PlayStation. Either way, as has been pointed out in this thread, it doesn't make that much difference.

Leyasu

Banned
You're not remotely qualified to assess their ability, and likely play every new Call of Duty every year, so that says all we ever need to know about your standards for quality.
Your talking utter shit…. As usual. Especially the cod bit. Listen, I know you are a frontline Xbox shock trooper , but come on, you see me praising the game in the op. I have only played this since launch. 343 are a studio in disarray. I am sorry if that hurts you. Get over it

Last edited:
Halo Infinite story is really bad. Probably the worst of the mainline Halo games. Somehow managed to be worse than 5.
Also 343 treating Weapon's true identity as some sorta big revelation was hilarious.
When you walk like a duck...

So, I was lucky enough to win a PC gaming bundle recently (5950x, mobo and a 6900xt.. GPU gold dust). And I have finally finally dipped my toe into the Xbox camp. I got 3 months free Game Pass, so I finally signed up to see what the fuss is about.

Thought that Halo would be the most obvious choice to get going. First impressions went badly because of poor driver issues with the game, but that was all sorted once I updated to the optional AMD drivers. I should say I am only playing multiplayer, because I have heard so many good things. The graphics are nice, and overall gameplay is pretty smooth. I like the weapons and the animations. I think it is a good game, but I would fall short claiming it is anything beyond that. The maps are fairly standard and so are the modes. I think it is perfect for a quick 'blast', but after 2-3 games I am done. I will give a shout out to the big team battles, which by far are my favourite. Lots more happening, but the game could do with a bit more optimisation, especially for PC. It struggles to maintain a consistent 144 fps at 1440p on larger scale maps, and I would of expected better considering it is a 6900XT.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The only made one of the best games ever, but "if 343 were a competent studio"

A whole lotta hutzpah on the internet lol.

Man you know standards have slipped massively when Halo : Infinite is hailed as "one of the best games ever" its not even the best Halo game hell I would say not even top 3, maybe 4th depending on how much you care about a grappling hook.

And let me head off the "you probably just play CoD, fanboy" response before you go there as you have with others

Probably the easiest one of the series if I'm being honest, too much mobility no additions to the sandbox to counter it.

80/100 as a campaign 70/100 with multiplayer.

try harder

That should be directed at 343 after they made such a pittance of a multiplayer offering, and then asked for the same price for JUST the campaign.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Ah don't worry then if it's just you personally you can understand that alot of other people do give a shit, so it is a problem.

As its just you "PERSONALLY" that does not.

Couple this with it ruining big team battle, limited map selection, and no "fun" modes, no forge, no coop, no firefight, no infection, no heavy etc etc its just a bit shit really.
But it doesn’t matter REALLY though does it? It’s just something to make your character look different, I genuinely don’t get why people would get so upset about that.

And yeah, I think the game is loads of fun, but you obviously have a big stick up your ass about it for some reason.

Chill out man, jeez.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
But it doesn’t matter REALLY though does it? It’s just something to make your character look different, I genuinely don’t get why people would get so upset about that.

And yeah, I think the game is loads of fun, but you obviously have a big stick up your ass about it for some reason.

Chill out man, jeez.

I mean there's plenty of small gaming community's you can still enjoy it. Like Halo 5 guardians lasted for years despite never being in the top 50 most played on xbox outside of launch. Halo infinite being free and dropping down the steam most played charts faster than even 2142 (which costs money) dousent mean you won't get matches in your default brown armour for years to come.

You just will have the same faces again and again. For others the multiplayer is just not good enough past the honeymoon period with no carrot, its not like this is Unreal Tornament or Halo 3.

Last edited:
Nice! It’s GOTY for me despite a few shortcomings. I’ve not finished it yet but it’s such an easy game to pick up and play and the world is so good to explore.

Honey Bunny

I'm a Xbox fan, but I don't agree, halo infinite (imho) feels like a 8,5 game

It has lots of good stuff but also lots of bad stuff in it

For me, fh5 is the best game Ms launched lately

But I'm looking forward for next year, it's PACKED
Whats coming next year?

Banjo64

cumsessed
This guy is hilarious. Is his schtick that he finds one game mechanic and uses it ad nauseum? He did the same thing with Deathloop and it was hilarious. I gather that he wasn't a big fan of Deathloop, but he seems to really have enjoyed Halo Infinite.
Yeah man, he’s funny. He just does daft and funny things in the games he’s reviewing and makes silly statements so you’re never sure if he likes something or is ripping it. His everything is Dark Souls video and Ghosts of Tsushima videos are really good too.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I guess someone with alzheimer might enjoy that trainwreck of a story.

It’s really obvious shit was rewritten and cut several times.

Banned
Not gonna lie, the campaign seems mediocre

woah there, be careful with such strong words! one of my posts was removed today with a ban warning where I called a game mediocre.

you can't dislike games anymore on here!

but yes it is... the open world completely ruins the pacing imo and there's a severe lack of actual highlights in the campaign.

still better than 4 and 5 tho. those also lacked any highlights but also had awful Leveldesign on top of that + that dogshit 343 artstyle that they finally threw in the trash

Last edited:
Top Bottom